• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Yeah, lol i stepped over the exxageration line a bit with sse:j. But yeah Dreamland is on the edge.

Personally I feel warioware might be a better stage than dreamland. Reason being dreamland is huge, and there is wind on it than actually interferes quite a bit, especially if you're trying to get back from off the edge. WarioWare is a decent sized stage with a reasonable layout. I guess the 2 platforms on the very top are kinda weird, but other than that I think it actually might be more neutral than dreamland, or fod

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
If we could cut out the middle of SSE:J, I feel like it'd be a pretty good stage. If you guys wanted to, you could make a singles version of it, but I'd rather have that room go to other stages. I do think it could be a neutral or CP in doubles, though.

As much as I miss being able to extend my hitboxes, I feel like the stage is better off without them. That opportunity to take advantage of that didn't pop up too often, so most of the time the shy guys are just being annoying.

If FoD's platforms aren't random, I could see it being a neutral. I feel like there are better options, though.

I suppose WW could be a neutral. The platforms change things a lot, so I'm not sure if I favor that over DL64. I don't think I've played on it enough yet to know.

EDIT: Some modified version of WW use this platform layout. Did you guys consider it? If you did, why did you decide to go with the current layout?

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
People seem to put such a few number of stages available, you should make a big stage list and see what goes better as the metagame goes by.

The most liberal stage list I could make has 24 available stages, 7 as starters and the rest as counterpicks.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
FoD's platforms can't be random in Project M. The only way to make the platforms move is with a model animation, which follows a predefined path. There's no way to make varying animations.

A long time ago I had the idea of making FoD replace Shadow Moses so you could get 3 different platform animations that would load randomly, but apparently that's too much for some people >_>

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Hahaha that's a really cool idea but it seems quite a bit of trouble to induce randomness, something most competitive players don't want.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I have to say, I really like that idea. While I don't think it would be good for a starter stage, it'd be pretty cool for a CP.

Out of curiosity, could you stick 3 completely different stages on SMI, and then have one of those stages at random each tme?

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Hahaha that's a really cool idea but it seems quite a bit of trouble to induce randomness, something most competitive players don't want.
Basically. Getting back to my main point, the platforms in their current state aren't random at all; they're on a timer just like Randall. And I've seen people use the timer argument for Randall being fair and non-random, even though in practice, nobody can actually react or respond to Randall's appearance based on the timer in the middle of a game. But there's no reason why people couldn't use the same argument for FoD:M, since they work the same way.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I've seen people take randall into account in the middle of a game, and I've done it myself as well. It's nowhere near as hard as people make it out to be. I've been playing for less than a year, so if I can do it decently, people who've been playing longer don't have any excuse for not being able to account for randall in the middle of a game.

Anyway, I'm going to go learn the pattern for FoD's platforms.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
I have to say, I really like that idea. While I don't think it would be good for a starter stage, it'd be pretty cool for a CP.

Out of curiosity, could you stick 3 completely different stages on SMI, and then have one of those stages at random each tme?
Yes, although IIRC, all 3 stages share the same .rel file, so each stage would have to be based on the same one. IE: 3 battlefield based stages

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
You guys are forgetting that Mushroomy Kingdom was 2 different stages to begin with -_-

P:M did the reverse and replaced both of them with the same stage.

metroid1117

Smash Master
I've seen people take randall into account in the middle of a game, and I've done it myself as well. It's nowhere near as hard as people make it out to be. I've been playing for less than a year, so if I can do it decently, people who've been playing longer don't have any excuse for not being able to account for randall in the middle of a game.
I agree with this. In Melee, Randall is on a constant 5-sec timer, causing it to appear on either side of the stage whenever the units digit on the timer turns into a 4. In Project M, it comes out whenever the units digit on the timer turns into a 6. In both games, it will appear on the left side if the tens digit is even and on the right side if the tens digit is odd.

While it sounds like a lot to keep in mind, it really isn't; it's just a quick analysis of the last two numbers on the clock. You actually have plenty of time to just take a quick glance at the timer whenever you knock your opponent offstage or if you grab them. You even have time when you get edgeguarded; Westballz uses Randall extremely well in this match, where he saves his double jump and up+Bs onto Randall just as it appears out of the stage. Keeping track of Randall, in my opinion, is an absolute necessity if you or your opponent is offstage; it's important to keep in mind every recovery option possible so you either have a better chance of getting back or can cover your opponent's options.

As a side note, if anyone hasn't heard of Westballz, I highly recommend watching his Falco. He's amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing.

enCouRaging Bear

Smash Journeyman
yo ike is theeee noob killer like sheik is in melee
reeaaallly easy to space with easy combos (that uptilt launcher...) and easy tech option coverage
not sure if he's quite broken status but he's really simple to use for how effective he is

lucas... is pretty much a spacie... sooooo fast... is his down b called a shine?

oksas

oak-sauce
on the topic of stages...

for our AZ tourneys we've embraced a much larger stagelist, but to make striking less painful, i edited the random stage select portraits to be used at all future tourneys. C for counterpick, N for neutral:

http://i.imgur.com/k2ppj.png

`dazrin

Smash Champion
A much larger stagelist.. hm? so 3 neutrals and 3 cp's, rest are banned? (according to your picture) :p

loljk. do you mind posting the stagelist you guys are using oksas? curious

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Once a general stagelist has been decided on, someone should make an edited SSS texture that makes neutrals have a red outline, CPs have a light blue outline, and banned have a black outline. Or something similar to that, IMO.

enCouRaging Bear

Smash Journeyman
can you guys make character specific threads on smashboards?
i know you have them on the project m site but it would be cool to have them on this site as well
this thread is extremely unorganized and i think it would help the pmbr out a lot in addressing peoples concerns

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
on the topic of stages...

for our AZ tourneys we've embraced a much larger stagelist, but to make striking less painful, i edited the random stage select portraits to be used at all future tourneys. C for counterpick, N for neutral:

http://i.imgur.com/k2ppj.png
That is really cool. I really like this idea and think people should do something like this for their own tourneys.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
can you guys make character specific threads on smashboards?
i know you have them on the project m site but it would be cool to have them on this site as well
this thread is extremely unorganized and i think it would help the pmbr out a lot in addressing peoples concerns
Perhaps a sub-thread inside the respective characters might work out, but it is something a good part of the community would have to agree.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Having the character forums on smashmods, while having to have people create accounts instead of using SWF, makes it easier for us to go through feedback and such. We also have control over the smashmods forum, while we do not have control over SWF.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Just so people know, there are some Project M side events coming up soon in Atl North.

One is this weekend, at Collision 3 hosted in NY. It will also be on stream http://twitch.tv/chibosempai after the main tournament is done

Another is the last weekend this month. I know for sure it will be at Uprise 9 (currently no stream) in NY, and should be at Zenith 2012 in NJ, which will be on the same stream channel as Collision

leelue

Smash Lord
Just so people know, there are some Project M side events coming up soon in Atl North.

One is this weekend, at Collision 3 hosted in NY. It will also be on stream http://twitch.tv/chibosempai after the main tournament is done

Another is the last weekend this month. I know for sure it will be at Uprise 9 (currently no stream) in NY, and should be at Zenith 2012 in NJ, which will be on the same stream channel as Collision
I would have never known about this if you hadn't pointed it out. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom