• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debeeters

Smash Rookie
Excellent job PMBR, thoroughly enjoying the game thus far. Been following the project for months before the release of Demo 2, yet it's still managed to exceed my expectations. Keep up the great work, I thank all of you involved for putting the time and effort into making this happen!

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
I remember that a while back someone on this thread (I believe it was hotdogturtle) linked to a download of a smash skiff texture for battlefield that would work correctly with P:M. Does anyone happen to have this texture? I seem to have lost it and it's no where on my system. I also looked on Brawl Vault, but I had no luck.
That was me who made the stage, but the last version I had was the demo 1 Battlefield. The next time I have time, probably this weekend, I'll be updating it to demo 2 Battlefield, and I'll definitely post it here, along with (possibly) some of my other stage hacks.

Also, I'm already planning on making a few new textures/backgrounds for some more P:M stages.

C_Ferris32

Smash Journeyman
That was me who made the stage, but the last version I had was the demo 1 Battlefield. The next time I have time, probably this weekend, I'll be updating it to demo 2 Battlefield, and I'll definitely post it here, along with (possibly) some of my other stage hacks.

Also, I'm already planning on making a few new textures/backgrounds for some more P:M stages.
Very cool. Much appreciated dude ^_^

Red(SP)

Smash Journeyman
IIRC, goes through shields. Would be terrible to pull off such an extremely hard OHKO move just to have them shield it, lol.
Actually, I just tested it with my buds. It can be shielded, but you lose at least a good chunk of your shield up into the point where a tilt could trigger an easy shield break. I was hoping it would go right through it though, lol.

EDIT: I guess you can safely assume this would happen with a full shield (which will probably be more than likely the case).

D

Deleted member

Will the patches with the fixes be user friendly and overwrite our old PM files?

Will the patches erase textures/custom music?

Oldeeber

Smash Cadet
hey, will you guys release characters as dlc, instead of having a new demo, considering a majority of the cast is in this demo and a majority of the bugs are fixed? im talking about characters that are basicly finalized way before the final release/demo 3 come out. like rob for demo 2, he seemed to be done alongggg time before demo 2 came out.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
If it's character-related, it'll overwrite the respective charname.pac. If it's fighter.pac related, it'll overwrite your .gct. Can't imagine much more than that.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Why would it take until summer/fall to release the character DLC if Zamus is pretty much complete as a character
and, let's pretend for a second, with Yoshi and Squirtle being eligible candidates for the update given the finalization
? I'm no impatient nor over-demanding fan; I'm just curious knowing the wizardry the PMBR guys are capable of. I'm no expert, but I doubt that it would take that long for a group with ample members to playtest a few characters.

yourface191

Smash Apprentice
where would u place your favorite newcomers on a suspected teirlist for PM

wolf - i think wolf will definitely be in the top 10... he has a really good arial game and some great grab set ups.

wario- seeing as how powerful he is and how well he can chain attacks together.. and a great meteor that can chain into itself on land... i think he will probably be one of the best heavy weight characters.

Oldeeber

Smash Cadet
wow i didnt realize there was a post on that on the previous page...

and personally i feel like alot of the melee top tiers will be left in the dust sooner or later. except spacies.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
wario- seeing as how powerful he is and how well he can chain attacks together.. and a great meteor that can chain into itself on land... i think he will probably be one of the best heavy weight characters.
Yes. Wario is certainly worth the weight.

yourface191

Smash Apprentice
wario is super epic.. i can get off two or three down smashes and a forward tilt before the opponent can do anything.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Should probably wait until after several tournaments, months, etc. have passed to allow the metagame to develop before you start any tier list discussion, lol.

yourface191

Smash Apprentice
Should probably wait until after several tournaments, months, etc. have passed to allow the metagame to develop before you start any tier list discussion, lol.
i mean just a prediction :)

and im trying to start a discussion like this because i want to see other peoples opinions on how the characters will turn out to be

Revven

FrankerZ
Why would it take until summer/fall to release the character DLC if Zamus is pretty much complete as a character
and, let's pretend for a second, with Yoshi and Squirtle being eligible candidates for the update given the finalization
? I'm no impatient nor over-demanding fan; I'm just curious knowing the wizardry the PMBR guys are capable of. I'm no expert, but I doubt that it would take that long for a group with ample members to playtest a few characters.
Overflowing the roster with too many characters too soon can throw off the focus on the characters that are in right now. We want feedback on these characters over the course of a couple of months (tournament results, videos, people learning these characters) rather than throwing in these other characters that could potentially throw off the balance.

We hope you understand. We don't want to affect the game so soon and get people who are already comfortable with the game a little "bothered", if you will, with multiple/several versions/updates.

KingBlaze777

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to say that I love Toon Falco! I mean Toon Link!! :p
As a Y.Link main, I definitely love the changes that were made, even though it took me several hours to start feeling his "new" aerial Up-B, I feel that his overall game has improved. In Melee, Y.Link lacked reliable kill moves that didn't leave you wide open, his "new" Up-B, U-smash and F-smash make up for that. His dash attack is better, not WAY better, but enough to screw your opponents with dash attack to boomerang shennanigans. He definitely feels like a Falco version of Link in the sense that while he's slightly better on-stage, he's riskier to use off-stage. I missed his Fire Arrows and all their fiery epicness.
There is a trick I found involving his boomerang and his bombs. If you throw a bomb towards your boomerang as it returns to you, the bomb bounces backwards (the bounce depends on how you threw the boomerang and how close it was to T.Link). I don't know if it was intentional, but I like it even though it's sort of situational.
Is it just me or do his arrows get reflected back at you if someone rolls just as they're about to get hit by them?

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Problem: I'm trying to log into smashmods.com, but the randomly generated passwords sent by the "password reset" feature keep being rejected. I've had 2 of them fail on me already and I keep getting locked out because they don't work.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
Everyone who was available just tried, and were unable to. I really suggest reformatting your SD/redownloading and trying again...
so i reformatted both my sd cards, downloaded fresh new Wario.pacs
and it still froze on like the 10th bite attempt. this sucks. is it really just me that's getting this? what else could it be?

everything else is working fine. I don't desync on wi-fi either

also
HDT, PM SB or ST
way too many acronyms Monk...you should feel bad

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Who summons me?

Seriously so many new pages, not digging through to find out why this jumped to the top of my namesearch.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Download a texture, name it to be the proper file name (fox texture would look like FitFox01.pac and FitFox01.pcs), and place it in pf/fighter/charactername

Eaode

Smash Champion
Okay soo...

I played a lot of P:M today at a weekly smash club at my College. Played a LOT of wolf, a bit of Pit, Luke, and Ike

First off, as far as we are concerned, Ike is destroying, which is really cool. I'm not saying he's OP, I'm just saying he has a very good Effective gameplay to Player skill curve (like melee shiek). His mobility and mixup game combined with his destructive power make him a truly difficult force to deal with. We're all having fun coming up with counterpicks and counter strategies :D

I'm more and more falling in love with Wolf. While it's true he has difficulty launching people and low % for combo setups, his launches knockdown when CC'd, so he can techchase into grabs or upsmash, both of which are more reliable starters. His combo game is really great, from his fair to his amazing shine, his bair, and all the rest. His side-B is devastating, but wayyyy to risky to attempt to finish any combo that finishes near the edge of the stage (although if you do, the reward is sweet!). Overall I would say his shield pressure, combo game, and speed add up to an amazing character.

His laser deserves another paragraph. while it's all but useless when used normally, when wavelanded it adds not only mixup and mobility options, but shortens the lag enough that you can do amazing things, like stack them, use them as legitimate stage traps, or camp at mid range. I really love what you guys did to his laser, and Kudos to ALL of you, it truly is a stroke of genius.

And although I have a creeping feeling that it's cliché, I also have to rave about Lucario. His gatling combos are just small enough that they still feel in place in a smash game, and they're great. I really enjoy comboing things into Spirit Bomb :D. all in all Lucario has an amazing moveset flow and setups that have depth that's very hard to fully use. I will say the fact that gatling combos are present in a game with as much DI as smash means they aren't simply muscle memory but a combination of damage % awareness, player reading, prediction, and reaction, and they are really, really cool.

I will say to the dev team: I know you guys like doing things very professionally, (and I love that, and it's probably the reason this is getting more life than any other mod did). Thus i understand why you guys don't like the idea of frequent updates. However, I know there are lots of people who really love this demo, but are disappointed by the lack of a certain character or another.

So what about infrequent updates, more like character packs than updates? When you guys put the finishing touches on a few characters (3 seems like a great number here), you could release them in an update, without touching anything else. This way you could keep hype up, develop character metas and reports in a nice sequence, but not kill the flow of the metagame by changing/buffing/nerfing existing characters.

tl;dr Wolf is really cool, Ike is really cool, Luke is really cool, and you guys should make character packs :)

GREAT JOB PMBR!! you guys probably don't get the respect you deserve :D

Revven

FrankerZ
How can I get a texture pack to work with Project M?
You'd have to unzip the texture pack and go inside its folder and inside there are likely character folders. Go into your SD Card and do the following:

Open up your private folder, then inside there is the wii folder, open that, then inside there is RSBE, open that, then inside there is pf, open that up, then inside there are several folders. The one you want to care about is called 'fighter'.

Open the fighter folder and you should see the same character folders as you do in the texture pack (the texture pack may even be set up with the same folder structure as described above). In each character folder are the necessary character files for the PM changes to the characters.

So go back to the texture pack folder and open up the character folder you want. You should see some files like FitCharacter00.pcs and FitCharacter00.pac, the digits represent the color they replace (there's tutorials on this stuff where all of this is labeled out for you, I'm just giving you the basics). So you would take the above two files, ignoring any MotionEtc files you see inside those folders, and stick them in the respectice character folder you see on your SD Card.

Basically, anymore inquiries you have about textures should be directed to here (actually, more or less, just read that guide).

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE OVERWRITE WHOLE CHARACTER FOLDERS. THEY WILL REVERT TO VBRAWL.

Thank you.

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
I wish my college had a smash club! So jelly Eaode :(

P:M needs more of dedicated groups of smashers like y'all so its metagame and popularity can rise. Hopefully more smash scenes will rise like yours!

Revven

FrankerZ
tl;dr Wolf is really cool, Ike is really cool, Luke is really cool, and you guys should make character packs :)

GREAT JOB PMBR!! you guys probably don't get the respect you deserve :D
No, no, thank you for the feedback. ;)

We'll think about what we wanna do in regards to character release stuff, but Yeroc pretty much outlined what we're thinking insofar to updating Demo 2. For now, though, we're going to fix bugs and see how things go from there. Keep in mind, working on a public release and on our own build simultaneously can be pretty difficult to manage.

It would also be great if you post most of your feedback onto www.smashmods.com as it is much easier for us to keep track of everything and consolidate feedback! It's easier for individual character discussions among players and other things, so if you're not registered yet, please do! It will take at least 24 hours for your account to activate due to spam bots so... sorry for any inconvenience there.

So, for now, you can at least look forward to bugs being fixed next week (Monday, possibly Tuesday at the latest). We're honestly surprised by the amount of praise so far and we hope it continues to grow, so do your part by spreading the word! :)

`dazrin

Smash Champion
I did. Or do you mean you want me to upload my sound/strm folder so you can use my exact songlist? I can do that if you want.
YES! Please! :D

Sorry for taking up your time in doing so, but yeah, it would be extremely helpful on my end as well as anyone else who wants to add custom music but lacks the knowledge, capability, or time/effort to put it in themself. :)

(Also, I just wanted to point out that when i looked into the demo2 sound folder, the readme file in there said, "If you managed to stumble on this, you must be a curious sort! hope you enjoy p:m!" I guess i'm either curious, or I needed to find out some **** about adding brstms :p)

@Yeroc's wall of text
Wow! Thanks, really, for all the awesome information packed in that post! It was a long read, but definitely worth it. Truely, thank you! I'm really excited for that character expansion coming latesummer/earlyfall! Hope to see SQUIRTLE packed in there with DIDDY and YOSHI :p (will probably end up being mid/late fall, but I don't mind either way)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom