• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
KEIL CRI--Oh wait.

Man, now I want Meta with a Zero soundpack. xD

Anyone putting up any random streams tonight?

AeonClock

Smash Apprentice
These are just some of the ideas I came up with for Lucas.

Keypoints: F-tilt, d-smash, uair, dair, up-b, side-b & down-b

When I first learned about this project, I believed that Lucas was a character that would transition smoothly into a Melee environment. In fact, in vBrawl often lost to players way below my skill level simply because I tried to play him as I would a Melee character. After the release of the demo, though, I realized that the transition wasn't as smooth as I thought. He was, to put it simply, awkward. Some of his moves were amazing and unique (U-smash, bair, offense-up), but some fell short of being useful at all (fair, dash attack, dsmash).
When I heard he was being worked on I was excited, but soon I realized that my excitement was premature. Lucas was more awkward than ever. His bair was **** and his flash kick had good combo ability, but his moveset lacked cohesion. He was like the illegitimate child of Falcon and Falco.....with learning disabilities. This is what prompted me to start brain storming some possible fixes to Lucas's awkardness:

Throws
Give him Mewtwo's up throw and give his down throw similar properties to Link's and I'll be a happy camper :bee:

Dash attack
With it's speed increase from vBrawl, it's actually useful and send opponents at a decent trajectory; however, the immense recovery frames of this attack make it difficult to follow up after. A slight reduction on the recovery frames of this move would improve its utility greatly.

Jab
Same as his vBrawl jab with a few tweaks to up its usability. The main problem with Lucas's jab before was its lack of range (the abortion stick tried to remedy this, but let's face it, that **** is awkward and broken) and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Not all of a character's moves needs to be useful, and Lucas's jab was effective in close quarters to begin with.
TL;DR Same as vBrawl jab

Tilts
Lucas's tilts were always pretty good. They're quick and good for comboing. Only one major change in this area.

F-Tilt
Lucas's f-tilt, in my opinion, was good. It came out very fast and had decent knocknack, making it an effective move. Much like his jab, however, it suffered from lack of range making it hard for Lucas to get a ground offense going unless he was very close to his opponent.
Solution: Make Lucas's f-tilt a 2-part attack that moves him forward. In the second part, Lucas would take a step forward and hit his opponent with a smash from his left hand with the same PSI effect as the first part (a smash is a punch somewhere in between an uppercut and a hook for all you non-boxers out there). The second part would
have slightly more vertical KB.
TL;DR 2-part f-tilt with the second hit giving a little more vertical kb than the first

D-tilt
If I'm not mistaken, Lucas's d-tilt was given more range, made slower, and made more powerful. If this is the case, it's fine.

U-Tilt
I love Flash kick <3
It's an excellent move but it should be given a sweet spot on its startup that deals more damage and KB (If it doesn't already have this, of course)

Smashes
The reason I play Lucas in the first place. His smashes are God-like......well.....2 of them are, anyway. I thought up a complete overhaul for one of them, though.

U-Smash
It's perfect as it is now :)

F-Smash
Again, perfect as is.

D-Smash
Ah, D-Smash. D-smash is....awkward, even in vBrawl. It's uses are limited, and it is only ever useful for catching spot dodges. This move was extremely situational and was easily punished by most of the cast.
D-smash 1
I have 2 solutions, but I'm not sure about how plausible the first one is to code. Instead of 2 or 3 PSI blasts covering the immediate area in front of him, Lucas would shoot only one, but the more you charge the smash, the farther away the PSI blast would appear. A fully charged D-Smash would appear at a length equal to the length of Final Destination, but instead of dealing a lot of knockback AWAY from Lucas as his old one would, this new d-smash would knock opponents TOWARDS Lucas with moderate knockback. Again, this may not even be plausible to code, but it seems like an interesting fix to an uninteresting move.
D-smash 2
Same as vBrawl d-smash, but it would now be possible to delay or omit each hit of Lucas's d-smash, much like Ike can choose not to use the second hit of his d-smash.
TL;DR There isn't one. Read you lazy ***** ._.

Aerials
Lucas's aerial game is interesting, but it has one major drawback. Lucas has no aerial finishers. I had some fun coming up with 2 major changes in this area.

Nair
Nair was, and currently is, a decent aerial. Shield pressure for days.
However, the horizontal coverage of this move was terrible, limiting Lucas's approach options greatly. This move should have an outer ring of PSI hexagons spinning around Lucas, much like a model of an atom, to increase horizontal coverage.

Fair
This move, to me, always screamed finisher. It should come out a slower and have similar KB to Falcon's knee or Zelda's heels.

Bair
SAME AS vBRAWL. Well, mostly. Instead of Lucas's foot sweetspot being a strong meteor, it should be a very weak meteor with a trajectory much like Sonic's Fair.

Uair
Lucas's uair was supposed to have great combo ability. Sadly, awkward damage/growth ratios prevented it from shining.
New Uair: Lucas does a backflip facing towards/away from the screen and kicks above him twice. Think Fox and Falco's uairs but reversed...and without the tails. The move would have about the same KB as Falco's uair.

Dair
This is the biggest change to Lucas's aerials I've come up with. Lucas does a front flip towards/away from the screen, and performs and axe kick ending with one small PSI blast as in his vBrawl dair. The difference between this dair and his current, PM dair (besides it being entirely vertical) is that the sweet spot occurs directly above Lucas and at the instant the move comes out. The sweet spot is a very strong meteor. The rest of the move until the PSI blast at the end, however, is an extremely weak spike that does pitiful knockback. The PSI blast at the end is a moderately powerful meteor.
This move takes about as long to come out as Falcon's dair.

Specials
Now here's where the most controversial change to one of Lucas's moves is going to be. *Puts anti-flame helmet on*
Up-B
PKT1 is fine just as it is, the problem is with Lucas's atrocious recovery with PKT2.
To remedy this, Lucas's PKT2 should cover about 2/3 the distance that Ness's PKT2 covers, but in exchange for this loss of distance, Lucas's PKT2 should go TWICE as fast as Ness's or more. Yes, I'm serious. Because it's going so fast, Lucas will have a hard time utilizing PKT2 as an attack (since it hits multiple times) and will only really be able to do damage and knockback with the last hit.

Neutral-B
Offense up is the ****. 'Nuff said.

Side-B
Down-b now becomes side-b, PSI magnet.
The jury is out on this one. I like it as it is now (with the attraction to the opponent) but the original vBrawl version is good too.

Down-b
Change down-b to Lucas's trademark counter. This means that Lucas will have no projectiles aside from his up-b. The animation for the start up is the same as the first part of Lucas's down taunt and the attacking portion is the same as the second. The counter becomes active faster than Marth's but Lucas still takes full damage from whatever attack he is hit with. In return, Lucas does 2.5 TIMES the damage and knockback of the attack he is hit with, and the attacking hitbox is about twice the size of Lucas's dsmash.

Mechanics
Either Lucas should retain his double jump cancel, or he should be given a normal, moderately high second jump.

These are just a FEW of the ideas I've come up with concerning Lucas. I really want to see Lucas shine and reach a point he could attain in vBrawl. I have a thing for big headed kids ._.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Dammit, kind of late for Neko's tease post, but I immediately thought of MMZ Zero's voice in his SNK vs. Capcom appearance. He does and says precisely that.

AeonClock

Smash Apprentice
Personally I don't really like those ideas, and I like the current Lucas build (aside from angled PKF and stick jab). Angled PKF is far too high risk/low reward to ever be really worth using.

I just think that zair should lead into tech chases like it did in Brawl+.
The only issues I have with his current build are his bair, uair, and dsmash.
If bair was switch back to his vBrawl bair and his fair was given his bair's properties, his aerials would be set. Also, His dsmash is fairly useless as it is. His other 2 smashes can do the same jobs, but better.

Cero

Smash Lord
I use his d-smash to edgeguard people trying to sweetspot. It works especially well when I already have ps-up charged.

PSI magnet is amazing as an aerial finisher as well (in the demo anyway). You can just start it early and stall in the air, waiting for a recovering opponent (like shine stall with Fox/Falco). Just let go when your opponent wanders into that huge hitbox range and "BAM!".

Easy gimp.

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
lucas' angled side b is awsome. id imagine crossing up retreating wave landed air side b's and ground side b's is a decent mine feild of hit boxes that stops jump ins. the angled side b, if the stun is good enough, may give lucas time to just run up and upsmash if it hits a high aproaching enemy.

iLink

Smash Champion
I just realized

Skullgirls and p:m demo 2 are going to be out around the same time

ffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

`dazrin

Smash Champion
I'm not 100% since I haven't formally made plans and set it in stone, but I'm gonna try to come as much as possible :p I think I might have my ride set up and everything now since I talked to the melee community in my area and a bunch of them are going. Just need to confirm everything.

So, yes, most likely I will be there :)

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
We'll have a merry-ol' Project M fun-fest, then.

All of us P:M players can go grab a burger the joint next door to GC or somethin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom