• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
All I'm hearing at this point are excuses. Regardless of how Squirtle "feels" in the context of the game and its meta, you lost. To put it bluntly, do better next time. Actually invest time in studying the MU (however you'd go about that, since I doubt Squirtle is a dime a dozen), or pick up a secondary, or whatever the ****.

Just drop the subject unless you got a different tack, because it feels like ya'll are digging a deeper hole for yourselves trying to rationalize it. You're allowed to think the character is stupid, sure, but grousing about it as you are is pretty scrubby.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
Guys, I think I know the real reason Strong Bad is mad. It's because he lost twice to Michigan: state of the low tiers.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I bet the people who unsarcastically say "learn the MU" used to play brawl MK, ICs, or diddy.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Idk, I see grab ledge working against a crap ton of characters by almost the whole cast. It isn't a guaranteed thing, but it's disingenuous to call a recovery bad when you refuse to the best counterplay against it. At least with the Marth example (back when umbreon came up), Marth on the ledge isn't the safest place for him. Don't tell me Wario sucks on the ledge too...

CORY

wut
BRoomer
alright, time to eat this entire lasagna. and two bellpeppers. and half a cucumber.

then see how i'm feeling.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
still waiting for top players to learn how to grab ledge
you sound like a 3.0 tether main, both in content and how absolutely absurd your notion is. you're asking someone to "simply grab the ledge" against a character whose upb has huge multi-hit crouch-proof hitboxes, low landlag, long distance, and an atypically low fall speed with which to wait out ledge invincibility. that's even assuming that with correct DI, his very high aerial mobility and sideb that he doesn't just go over you to center stage and has any desire for the ledge itself. you are suggesting counterplay that works exclusively when the squirtle player sucks.

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
Idk, I see grab ledge working against a crap ton of characters by almost the whole cast. It isn't a guaranteed thing, but it's disingenuous to call a recovery bad when you refuse to the best counterplay against it. At least with the Marth example (back when umbreon came up), Marth on the ledge isn't the safest place for him. Don't tell me Wario sucks on the ledge too...
Project M 'About' tab:
5. "Offstage edgeguarding is risky but rewarding, while on-stage edgeguarding is safer but less rewarding"

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
good morning, thread

e: I'll still keep it here just b/c I'm not going to pretend it wasn't worded pretty smugly:

I bet the people who unsarcastically say "learn the MU" used to play brawl MK, ICs, or diddy.
people find success with top tiers because skill can mean choosing the right character for the situation. in general, you should try to save up money in case of emergencies. drink water regularly, it's good for you
I think it's a bad argument to say "people pick top tiers for matchups and they suck" when it's the inevitable outcome of all metagames, but I was a bit ****, my apologies

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
and lasagna's dealt with, time to finish veggies and drink 50 gallons of water while i cook my chicken for the week.

Xykness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XYKman
I mean... we all have MUs that we need to learn and some characters (like Squirtle) can be significantly difficult. This is sometimes even the case in MUs in which your character hypothetically wins. Its way more than simply "grabbing the ledge" and usually requires a lot of stress based off the nature of that character. I'm not calling any character a bad design, but Squirtle is indeed different than a lot of the cast, but you're going to get nowhere by simply telling someone one small factor like "grabbing the ledge." Also its okay for players to not like characters. I can bet that everyone has a character/s that simply annoys the heck out of you. But seriously guys... lets not just call people out, even if you don't agree with them. Strongbad and Dirtboy are both incredible players and SB happened to lose to Dirt this time. Good job Dirt and I hope that you continue to do well with your character. As for everyone else, I hope we are able to find new creative ways to overcome Squirtle, but its okay to still not be a fan of the character lol. Can we all be a big happy family again pls?
Dirtboy will be at Shots Fired 2, so looking forward to seeing how he does and how people do against him.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Real talk, all that these past three pages have accomplished is make me want to lab and main squirtle lol

Last edited:

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418
you're asking someone to "simply grab the ledge" against a character whose upb has huge multi-hit crouch-proof hitboxes, low landlag, long distance, and an atypically low fall speed with which to wait out ledge invincibility
Yeah Wario is pretty silly.

Wait, you meant Squirtle, oops.

interpunct

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EliteInterpunct
3DS FC
3110-5751-3360
Jesus **** what's going on in this thread.

• Misspelled return at 0:16
  • You use the phrase "to hell with you" or variants of that quite often. It works because it's bayonetta but I highly advise varying your text more.
  • These clips are mostly just people being bad or doing dumb things. Some of them look staged as well and honestly I was bored watching it because everyone was doing so many things that just shouldn't be done. These kind of clips are fine but you have to balance it out with clips where people are actually competent.
  • you're more just blatantly insulting the opponents than being witty with most of this text. That might be someone's thing but I feel like wit > smugatron is more interesting to watch. This goes along with clips of competent people.
  • 1:44 was a really good clip to add flavor to the video.
  • 1:46 was a nice clip. End text I'd of replaced insults with wit though.
  • 2:04 I wouldn't of put in at all
You're channeling alphared really hard in this video but falling flat with the humor for me.
Before I start I'm explaining my think process, I'm not trying to excuse myself , I fully appreciate the time you took to watch the video and the criticisms you made, I'm just saying these things to see what you think and how I could maybe change this thought process of mine when making videos like these in order to be more unique and be able to be myself I guess brainstorming, instead of just another copy of the formula someone like Alpharad, Little Z, StylesX2, etc, might have.

The typo was a definitive oversight, it's a bit embarrassing too since I re-watched the video like 15 times before rendering it. :chuckle:

I did use hell jokes a lot, I didn't want to resort to smash jokes most of the time, and if I keep doing more videos in this style I tried to fit in some more jokes related to the characters rather than smash alone. This is the reason why I resorted to being smug, Bayonetta is that way in her games. Plus when I see the Alpharad/LittleZ videos they aren't heavy on character jokes. So I wanted to give my videos that treatment. In this case, insult, be cocky and belittle since she's that way, however I see that there can still be space to put in some more wit in there.

About channeling Alpharad, I guess I'll learn more about being more original the more I edit and practice brainstorming for jokes. I tried to stay away from things like air horns, smoke weed, 420, black and white sad violin, etc jokes and a lot of the usual smash puns like back air jiggs jokes or saying stuff like better nerf greninja, which is used widely in the smash community, for me it's ok to use them every once in a while of course, I'm not saying I won't do them from time to time but I still want to stay away from it when it's not necessary for me to use em. That for me is what I'm reminded of when I think of Alpharad. I really don't want to copy his sort of "awkward" humor that's full of puns (that's the best was I can describe it) which is of course spectacular and very funny, and if I do one of those awkward jokes, or puns then it's just one joke per video at most. Since Alpharad does them quite a lot and I don't want to have anything close to that in order to distance myself, which is also the reason why 2:04 is there, took a slight gamble to see if it's funny ya know? I gotta see in what other ways I do this though, I'll learn as I go on making more videos I'm sure.

I can assure you no clips were staged however, when you spend a week recording you find a lot of good and bad players in FG. I still have all the replays stating where they come from (FG), all of them was for glory being for glory, I got a lot of bad players and went for it because at least these guys were playing different characters, a lot of the decent players were playing lots of Corrin and Bayonetta, and you can only do so many jokes against Bayo's or Corrin's. I also have no clue about fire emblem fates so I can't do character jokes about her. I do have to say some of the clips in there are from fights that I had a really hard time against. I tried to balance bad players with good players but I do see where you're coming from, and instead of doing a 50/50 split of good and bad players, maybe 75/25 split of good vs bad players is a better balance of clips, thankfully the DLC hype has died down a bit so maybe I'll see more variety of characters online and I won't have to resort to maybe sticking with bad players to get character variety. No johns though.

I am very grateful of these things you've pointed out. I'll definitely take them into consideration for the next video and I'll try to keep expanding the humor and try to create more of my own jokes.:denzel:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

ok for reals

I've been trying to make it out to Infinity and Beyond for six weeks now, but every single time something has fell through or my ride bails

I'm gonna take the three-ish hour walk there, **** it

Player -0

Smash Hero
Squirtle's Up B when forced to sweetspot/barely take stage 50/50 isn't that good. It's essentially Marth's but you can't mindlessly CC it onstage if you're slow.

Squirtle's recovery when sent high is pretty amazing considering Side-B, B-Reverse nB, small, etc.

I mean this has probably said a million times and makes one mad but don't forget ledge gives invincibility and you can hit him backwards. Squirtle is hugging stage so much you can't hit him backwards and he always techs? drop down DJ -> bite him or the like.

I mean I'll have to hold off on any other comments until I see the actual video(s) if they're there. If anyone can link them that would be cool.

Edit -
ok for reals

I've been trying to make it out to Infinity and Beyond for six weeks now, but every single time something has fell through or my ride bails

I'm gonna take the three-ish hour walk there, **** it
Biking is cool.

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
Also I find it funny how, no matter how many times the question is actually answered in great detail, every time the assertion that [x] doesn't play like a typical smash character is brought forward, somebody is like "hurr but wuts even makes something not a real smash character? Lel betcha won't answer this one for the 20th time so guess ur jus salty le mayo"
everyone is so dumb for forgetting the nonsensical explanation to a ridiculous statement, yes, okay

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
everyone is so dumb for forgetting the nonsensical explanation to a ridiculous statement, yes, okay
"Nonsensical"
Bleck, since you are so certain that it's nonsensical, surely you haven't forgotten what the explanation was; care to repeat it and remind everyone why it's wrong, strongly opinionated, knowledgeable low-level smash player #24725? After all, somebody as smash-smart as you would have great understanding of why atypical characters aren't actually atypical and definitely don't reverse any expected game dynamics.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
you sound like a 3.0 tether main, both in content and how absolutely absurd your notion is. you're asking someone to "simply grab the ledge" against a character whose upb has huge multi-hit crouch-proof hitboxes, low landlag, long distance, and an atypically low fall speed with which to wait out ledge invincibility. that's even assuming that with correct DI, his very high aerial mobility and sideb that he doesn't just go over you to center stage and has any desire for the ledge itself. you are suggesting counterplay that works exclusively when the squirtle player sucks.
Don't forget that his enormous crouch proof multi-hit is also a semi-spiking stall, or that he has one of the highest aerial mobilities in the game on top of being small, or a wall cling/wall jump enhanced by his drifting ability and a special that gets him close to the stage very easily

Double post, ehh **** it I'm too lazy to fix

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Youtube Red is the realy jank.

15 dollars for features that mobile youtube should just have, period. Like seriously why three times the price of Netflix? And for what? Reality tv featuring Pewdiepie?

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
just learn the matchup
I've never lost to a squirtle and have beaten dirtboy multiple times. My matchup knowledge or lack thereof isn't related. Learning the matchup won't make squirtle a more pleasant character to play against nor will it make his matchup less extremely character-specific and non-standard.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277

So in central London we have a... Canadian pub (which is aptly named)? From what I can tell it's basically just a normal pub, except instead of watching Football they watch Ice Hockey, and they serve poutine. Apparently it's been around for years and I haven't seen it, it's pretty strange what you can randomly stumble across.

Also, Grey Belnades Grey Belnades come to London:

Goodbye Berlin, hello London.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
is this the part where I point out that I am good at a video game and as such my juvenile behavior should be tolerated
Yes. It works for M2K, after all; that fool still hasn't gone to the doctor, will most likely pay a dear price for it later in his life, and no one bothers to force him to clean up his act.

Last edited:

drakargx

Smash Journeyman
Youtube Red is the realy jank.

15 dollars for features that mobile youtube should just have, period. Like seriously why three times the price of Netflix? And for what? Reality tv featuring Pewdiepie?
Just use NewPipe from the F-Doid app repository

That, or look up Xposed Framework/OGYoutube

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
I just realized that Bleck changed his avatar back into that stupid smug-faced Pacman again. No wonder his posts sound more sarcastic

Last edited:
Top Bottom