• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Nobody has said anything about Diamond and Pearl yet.
Funny you should mention that, cause Gen 4 is probably my favorite gen.
Fire Red was my first Pokemon game, but I wouldn't say I actually played it.
I just Gameshark'd for a Ho-oH cause I thought he looked cool, and over-leveled my Pokes to the max before trying to beat the game.
Gen 3 was much of the same (although now, I love Gen 3 to death).
When Gen 4 came around, I was at the age where I could actually think about what moves and what lineups I was using. It was also the first Gen where I had my first competitive battle (without 4 Mewtwos involved).
Gen 4 was just the game that made Pokemon fun for me (or it was the first time I actually tried to play legit).

...But when Gen 5 came out, Pokemon just fell off the face of the earth for me. I was moving on to more important things like Call of Doody.

After awhile I tried to get back into it, but then Gen 6 came around and smacked me in the face.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Gen 2 music is just too damn good. I think the only thing close to rivaling it is Gen 3 route music.

And LGFR's rearrangement of Lake of Rage, gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwd.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Y'know speaking of getting what others wished they had, I feel like a complete Pokemon nub when I say this, but I never really got trading. Especially in Pokemon Black when I actually tried to trade and people had requirements for Pokemon that wasn't even possible. It bugged me to no end ;-;
Yeah, I never really traded much either, I managed to get a Suicune from a friend in Gen 2 but that was about it. I never traded again until Gen 5 came out then I got into Hidden Ability and IV breeding and traded tons. As far as later Gens go, there's a lot of cloning and/or hacking going on so that's why there were a lot of Pokemon offered in exchange for like lv 5 or under Zekrom/Reshiram. They were just putting it on the GTS servers in order to use something else that extracts data. Ofc I won't go into it but if you're curious, you can search for it.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I think I'm the only person alive that enjoyed Gen 1 a lot, even when weighed against the other sequels. Still, I don't disagree with people when they say that Blue/Red are the weakest games in the franchise overall.

Smooth Criminal

Bleck

Smash Master
This is my favorite tune from any Pokemon game. It's just so thematically perfect, and is completely unlike anything that came before it as far as FIGHT MUSIC goes.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I have alot of favorite tunes from the pokemon series but these 5 are some of my most favorite especially the first one cause I have it on my project M track list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwlRy5K3azY Ho-ho battle theme HG/SS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRpSablExfc Elite 4 battle music B/W and B/W 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4UTKk5eF1c Corless theme B/W 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOhDWU36zTU N's theme final battle B/W

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEIpIHtFhQI Lake themes D/P/PT

and a special mention to this song as well in B/W 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DCPY-7vz00

Vashimus

Smash Master
Project Pokefeels thread v2~~

Gen 2 represent. It not only included -every- area from Gen 1 (other than the Underground and inconspicuous places) but also weaved in the story from the previous games and provided huge Gen 1 nostalgia trips. It was easily the most natural sequel of all the Pokemon games (other than B/W2 obviously), included some Pokemon actually intended for Gen 1, and was really the crowning glory of the original games. Gen 3 began a new era and a new age, and was great in its own respect, but Gen 2 is the game I can most comfortably say was the jewel of my childhood, only rivaled by Melee.
I couldn't agree more with you about Generation 2. I just loved everything about it - even more so the fact that they had two Leagues for the first time ever in the Pokemon series. When I found out about the second league I was beyond speechless. Hehe.
The biggest problem I have with Gen II is that the level balance is completely and utterly out of whack, probably to compensate for the many gyms. Trainers have have their Pokemon levels all over the place, and gyms can either range from depressingly easy or harsh difficulty spike.

I won't mince words. While GSC are some of the best games in the series, Johto is the easily worst of all the regions, and there's little incentive to explore Kanto outside of battling the gyms. I still feel empty whenever I complete the game. People like to rave about the whole 16 gyms aspect of it, but I'd rather have a single region that feels truly complete and with plenty to explore than just two half-assed ones put together.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Colress battle theme is easily the best battle theme I've ever experienced past Gen 2. Ghetsis battle theme is also the creepiest of all the games, only really rivaled by Lavender Town's imo, and that rivalry really only comes from nostalgia

@ Vashimus Vashimus - I see where you're coming from, but I disagree with Johto being the worst region. It wrapped up a few things (battle with Red, Cinnabar Island's remains) and it enabled you to revisit nearly everything you did in first Gen. It was kind of like "Oh, thought you finished the game? Ha, nope, you've only gotten halfway through!" I'm not sure which Pokemon game was your first, but Red was my first, so Gen 2 was literally everything I could've hoped for and more. Gen 3 was a new adventure, but lacked the connections and thus lacked the roots that made me so enthralled with Pokemon from the start. Each to their own though, I've heard someone else say Johto was the worst region before, so it's not unheard of to me.

If you meant just the Johto region by itself being bad, then yeah I can understand the gyms being all over the place. XD It still wasn't bad to me though, because I loved the Tin Tower/Whirl Islands contrast along with Ilex Forest, Ruins of Alph, Lake of Rage and Dragon's Den (obvious reasons~)

Ice Path though... that was the bane of my existence, lol. Probably the hardest challenge of my childhood just underneath beating Event 51 with Pikachu

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
The biggest problem I have with Gen II is that the level balance is completely and utterly out of whack, probably to compensate for the fact there were 16 gyms. Trainers have have their Pokemon levels all over the place, and gyms can either range from depressingly easy or harsh difficulty spike.

I won't mince words. While GSC are some of the best games in the series, Johto is the easily worst of all the regions, and there's little incentive to explore Kanto outside of battling the gyms. I still feel empty whenever I complete the game.
And thus the remakes helped cured me of this issue somewhat anyway. I cant go back to the original after playing HG/SS it was that godlike for me that I was at my happiest with PKMN and went full blown nerd on it for at least a month. That was a good month.

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
That's not tripping. They already confirmed that tripping was removed. That's just Lucario teetering on a ledge.
It could be a banana peel. Did they specifically say that ALL tripping will be removed, or just the random variety?

But yes, it may also be a ledge teeter.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
And thus the remakes helped cured me of this issue somewhat anyway. I cant go back to the original after playing HG/SS it was that godlike for me that I was at my happiest with PKMN and went full blown nerd on it for at least a month. That was a good month.
I wanted to go back to the originals to play with my Pokemon from my childhood, but...

... the game has moved on. May the internal battery, and my Pokemon, rest in peace~

MattNF

Smash Lord
That's not tripping. They already confirmed that tripping was removed. That's just Lucario teetering on a ledge.
Whew, I forgot about that. I'm glad you cleared that up because I was getting worried that Sakurai went back on his word.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Nobody has said anything about Diamond and Pearl yet. While I feel that they were in many ways unsatisfactory, they did provide a lot of current things I take for granted, like physical and special moves within a type. Plus, they added Garchomp, who happens to be swag to the max.
D/P/P was my favorite generation from a competitive standpoint, but for the life of me I can't really recall the games themselves on a meaningful level.
I think D/P/P was the pinnacle of competitive Pokemon... but the games from a story standpoint were a letdown for me.
HG/SS on the other hand had the competitive play I adored from Gen IV but everything that made Gen II my favorite from the ingame experience.

So for me, the perfect Pokemon game would be HG/SS though sadly not quite on its own accord.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Emulators.

BOOM GOT 'EM
I fully intend to do a full Silver run in the future, and I already have the ROM for it. However, there is no replacement for the unique Pokemon I had in my original games. That would be kind of like saying "Oh, lost your lv 100 Pidgeot you raised from a Pidgey you caught in the first Route? Just go catch another one and do it all over again, same thing." The new Pidgey will have a different nature, different IVs/EVs, and perhaps most of all will still be one you caught now as opposed to when you were 10. Not to say emulators aren't good, as I definitely want to do a Silver run like I first said, it's just that it won't ever be the exact same. This is not necessarily a bad thing more than it is just a fact.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
sapphire, you play PAD? thats your team? I run Seraph Lucifer, Vampire duke stage 3, Dark/Light Hades, 3rd stage Naga and Light/Dark hello kitty head

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
@ Yung Mei Yung Mei I wish I played PAD. :p Coincidentally I got into researching what it was from another signature here on swf, where I saw their team and really liked some of the portraits in the squares. I looked that pic up, found PAD, and made my own team to use if I ever did play it. I just really like the monster art the most. >.>

Shoutouts to this guy who almost made my team, his art is incredible

Sorry to dissapoint though, Mei :/

Yung Mei

that dark one sucks though, sorry to tell you

Special ability is swap places with the Leader, then its leader skill is When @ Full Health, damage is reduced by a lot. Doesn't have any bonuses for the team though it can potentially save you from a one hit ko, but its trash considering Dark monsters don't have very high recovery, and its ability takes like 20 turns to charge

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
That's weird, I read that it was one of the most useful in its series from its guide page. http://pad.wikia.com/wiki/786/guide

Honestly though, the saving from one hit KO thing seems pretty useful. I only made my team based on how much I liked the dragon, so any abilities it has/doesn't have are just extra things to consider.

That said, there is an actual Sapphire Dragon in that game... and it would've made my team, if it and all their variations hadn't only been all baby art forms. XD So I just used Blue Muspelheim instead. Works quite well imo :)

Yung Mei

its basically a weaker Odin, its still "technically" good, but not great like odin

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
The biggest problem I have with Gen II is that the level balance is completely and utterly out of whack, probably to compensate for the many gyms. Trainers have have their Pokemon levels all over the place, and gyms can either range from depressingly easy or harsh difficulty spike.

I won't mince words. While GSC are some of the best games in the series, Johto is the easily worst of all the regions, and there's little incentive to explore Kanto outside of battling the gyms. I still feel empty whenever I complete the game. People like to rave about the whole 16 gyms aspect of it, but I'd rather have a single region that feels truly complete and with plenty to explore than just two half-***** ones put together.
What gyms in Gen II did you find difficult? I honestly didn't find any of them hard.

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
Gen III was the best for me. Owned Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald as soon as they released.
As far as pokemon music, I have quite a few, but to only note the top 5.
Lilycove City and all it's variants. Game version. Anime version. And this remix by PokeRemixStudio which I use as a .brstm.
Champion Iris
Vs. N
Champion Cynthia
Battle! Gym Leader (Sinnoh)

Also, PAD is a funky game. I can't even get past a certain dungeon because the game won't give any good water monsters. I'm literally praying for a Siren or something, but always get a Wood God or some other thing. My current team is Ancient Dragon Knight (Leader for 2.5x Dragon boost), Mercury Light Carbuncle, Snow Globe Dragon Rogue, Holy Dragon (waiting for 70 to evolve it, currently at 57) and a Dub-mythlit (plan to replace it with Vampire Lord once I get him stronger).
I legit have Susano, Bastet, Parvati and a few other Wood Gods sitting in my box cause that's all this damn game gives me.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Playing on emulators just isn't the same as playing the game on actual hardware.
This is very very true.
However I have found that if you are going to emulate something like Pokemon that emulating on a phone or tablet is significantly more enjoyable than on a PC. At least as far as Gameboy games are concerned.
The handheld experience is retained, which for me is the most important part. You still lack a certain... maybe feedback is the word I'm looking for? A touch screen just can't quite compete with the feel of actual buttons.
And not that I specifically miss cartridges, but... cartridges...

Top Bottom