• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Hey guys, Big House 4 is gonna run 3 stock 8 min ruleset for PM. Thread

I made a separate thread here so we don't clutter up the tournament thread, I would appreciate any input.

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
because you see all the hype stock-to-stock sets that pop up and your response is "nah, we should bring even LESS consistency", I guess?

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I can't do Wario's side B squat. Am I just bad?
Its not in the game anymore, it got taken out because it was stupid + on block, and was decided it made side-b too overcentralizing in neutral (because it was safe if you knew they were going to shield it/it whiffed)

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
I know this ain't entirely relevant to PM but has anyone actually tried giving Mario FLUUD on one of his costumes permanently?

By that I mean a cosmetic FLUUD, it's just there to be pretty and Mario still does the tornado. I tried doing it but since I'm stoopid the animations borked up.

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
I know this ain't entirely relevant to PM but has anyone actually tried giving Mario FLUUD on one of his costumes permanently?

By that I mean a cosmetic FLUUD, it's just there to be pretty and Mario still does the tornado. I tried doing it but since I'm stoopid the animations borked up.
I don't think anyone has tried that, but I'll see if I can get one working later.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I always thought that the Fluud in brawl should have been the downward spray when used in the air. It just didn't make sense to me why they would be so lazy as to not do that, when it litterally was right there in the game they took the flood from and it fit perfectly. They even had Rob and Pit's up-b's that work similar to how it did in sunshine. Sakurai 's team was just lazy with all the smash games, honestly(and look at smash 4, we just got another clone -.-)

Blade-Fox

Smash Apprentice
When I first started seeing Mario in PM, I thought they were going to change Mario's Down B into a mix of F.L.U.D.D. and the tornado which works because you can actually do that in Mario Sunshine. You can Mario tornado with the standard nozzle but you can also do it with the hover nozzle. It's a cool way of cleaning up messes in Mario Sunshine but it's not really effective.

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
I don't think anyone has tried that, but I'll see if I can get one working later.
Thanks for the offer, I'll try one more time though and let you know if it works.

I always thought that the Fluud in brawl should have been the downward spray when used in the air. It just didn't make sense to me why they would be so lazy as to not do that, when it litterally was right there in the game they took the flood from and it fit perfectly. They even had Rob and Pit's up-b's that work similar to how it did in sunshine. Sakurai 's team was just lazy with all the smash games, honestly(and look at smash 4, we just got another clone -.-)
I fully agree with you on the Mario's FLUUD being stupid but Clones don't really mean much though and you calling the Smash team lazy is literally the most ignorant thing I heard all day. There isn't a downside to having a small amount of clones in-game as clones don't detract too much dev time from other characters and add characters who wouldn't have made it in the first place.

Last edited:

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
I have trouble understanding why someone would choose to let their experience of a game be based entirely around a soulless pursuit of efficient victory, but I'd never decry someone for it. Live and let live.
One of the best quotes I've seen in a while. Even though I can see why someone would prefer efficient victory over other aspects, it's still a great quote.
HAPPY KIND OF BIRTHDAY
LMAO this gif... this gif.

I know what I'm spamming on people's profiles when it's their birthday now.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
With so much matchup inexperience around 3 stocks is probably not the way to go, much more "randomness" (means: not enough room for adaptation). But I guess its because of time constraints, so...

@ DMG DMG
You know, if you can't convince, you need to confuse.
My last hope :D

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It's already over. You got a spite check or two left but that's it. GG's, I'll annotate some of our games if you're interested.

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Hmm seems interesting with 3 stocks but expect alot of salty folks beforehand.
Good.
Maybe they'll be self-aware about it for once.

How oblivious people usually are about that is enough to tempt me towards actions that frighten me with the thought that I would do most of them without compulsion for anyone else, and that I would not regret them if it made the point.

Incidentally, ^THERE is how to be self-aware. lol

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
There's not much wrong with 3 stock. Stock count doesn't matter much until it's less than 3.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
It's already over. You got a spite check or two left but that's it. GG's, I'll annotate some of our games if you're interested.
Literally, in most games I saw the mistakes right as I clicked submit. Its true, one has to gain a bit of distance first to not overlook the most basic things.
I think what holds me back the most is that I do not apply what I know in the right way. If I look over my games after that, I normally see what is wrong and when remembering certain keywords, too.
If you have any kind of list you go through in your head which your thought process contains. It is so unordered for me that I sometimes just skip a few steps. What also happens sometimes is that I do like inner and outer thought brackets (like, is this move good, and then: is this move good for the activity of my pieces) and when I'm done with a subfeature of the position I think I'm done with thinking about that move...

Lizalfos

Smash Master
You guys are so serious. I just maintain control of the board and most people crack under the overwhelming pressure. Guess I haven't played anyone that good.

Edit: ^ about chess

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Yeah you would play solidly for quite a bit in our games, and the most common mistake was playing a natural or thematically fitting move 1-2 turns too quickly.

I try to consider 3-5 moves in any given position, as even the poor move choices might give me insight or reinforce the idea of what my strategic goals are and what I need to play to further them. I am almost always focused on the broader aspects of time/tempo, pawn formations, common thematic breaks or plays for either side, etc. I don't generally go deep for analyzing single lines, since you hope that if your position is good enough and you've appropriately factored in the opponent's probable plans, you'll end up somewhere good even if you don't notice the tactical shot 7+ moves deep that gives you the stronger edge.

With the varied openings we went through, I get the sense that you have a surprisingly comfortable grip on the opening. Do any extensive opening theory studying?

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Finally Metaknight represented as the tyrant he was in Brawl.

Also the P:M Falco thread is disgusting. Its just a buncha kids saying "WHY DID YOU RE-CLONE FALCO?" or "CAN FALCO ATTACK OUT OF UP-B?". Every thread is a wish list asking for better recovery and brawl reflector.

I JUST WANT TO LEARN THE FALCO-PIT MATCH-UP!!!!

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
chess is a fox ditto on battlefield, if one side starts always started out on the side platform regardless of port priority

tho I don't think there's really much of a way to fix a person going first in a turn-based game? this is the one thing I like about pokemon I think, it's designed so who goes first is just as much of a strategy as everything else. if only 90% of the games that mattered didn't end because of RNG hax

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
Almost done, just need to vertex it a bit to make it clip less, and re apply the shaders.
Thanks a ton, I'd say you're a life saver but my life isn't danger or in need of saving...

...Yeah.

I can get this to work with other Mario costumes by combining this with other Mario models in BrawlBox right?

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
What if I started a Q&A matchup thread for P:M specific matchups? I don't have the Matchup experience or even technical and theoretical knowledge of the game to actually answer questions, but maybe some of the smart people can swoop in and make the Falco thread a not-so-terrible place if I start a discussion?

Last edited:

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Yeah you would play solidly for quite a bit in our games, and the most common mistake was playing a natural or thematically fitting move 1-2 turns too quickly.

I try to consider 3-5 moves in any given position, as even the poor move choices might give me insight or reinforce the idea of what my strategic goals are and what I need to play to further them. I am almost always focused on the broader aspects of time/tempo, pawn formations, common thematic breaks or plays for either side, etc. I don't generally go deep for analyzing single lines, since you hope that if your position is good enough and you've appropriately factored in the opponent's probable plans, you'll end up somewhere good even if you don't notice the tactical shot 7+ moves deep that gives you the stronger edge.

With the varied openings we went through, I get the sense that you have a surprisingly comfortable grip on the opening. Do any extensive opening theory studying?
Yeah I am still quite good at the opening from the last holidays where I practiced multiple hours a day. I alao remember so much about endgame and and positional play, but as I said, getting the knowledge structured and applied is the toughest issue in chess for me. Maybe it has to do with my subpar multi-tasking ability which makes it hard for me to recap multiple positional features at the same time without specially focusing on it, and as soon as you focus on one thing your intuition on other elements of the position gets worse.

@ trash? trash?
White vs Black is statistically a 53-47 matchup which is much more balanced than any Smash game so far *cough*

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
@ trash? trash?
White vs Black is statistically a 53-47 matchup which is much more balanced than any Smash game so far *cough*
but they're functionally both the same with one getting a slight advantage, so it's better to compare them to a symmetrical design, like ryu mirror matches or marth dittos or the like, instead of asymmetrical

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
Thanks a ton, I'd say you're a life saver but my life isn't danger or in need of saving...

...Yeah.

I can get this to work with other Mario costumes by combining this with other Mario models in BrawlBox right?
Fludd is part of the Mario model, so you would have to insert it into the other models yourself, regular Mario textures should be fine with replacing the texture though.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
he's waiting on confirmation from other sponsors, I know he contacted TSM and C9, and madcatz' community PR dude actually sent him a message (that was deleted publicly), so he's got options

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
Fludd is part of the Mario model, so you would have to insert it into the other models yourself, regular Mario textures should be fine with replacing the texture though.
I know how to do that. I just want to know if there's anything I should worry about such as the model spazzing out(like when i tried to do it) or anything when putting FLUUD onto the Vacation Mario model.

Top Bottom