• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

SpiderMad

Smash Master
got my qanba q1 fight stick today. going to be tough transitioning from pad to stick but hopefully it'll be worth it. if only i didn't give the fight stick bags i got from UFGT to juuschichi and scythe :/
Who suggested you this ganba q1? Did you buy it off the site for 59.99?

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Wait so was it actually juice.Doom that challenged Sakurai to a match and if he won he could help balance the game and then Sakurai said the infamous quote "Have you ever designed a game?"

juice.Doom, really?

Bleck

Smash Master
Sakurai has been designing video games for longer than juice.Doom has been alive.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
It would have been really funny if someone from the PM team asked him that question.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Pretty sure he clarified it was meant as a lighthearted question, which was obvious and Sakurai even answers laughing when you hear the audio, and the Internet made it a bigger deal than it actually is. If it was someone like Kamiya, he would've completely ripped him apart.

Waste of a question either way.

Last edited:

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
You'd have to be seriously lacking in social awareness to hear the question (there is a complete audio recording of the event on Youtube) and not understand that it was meant as a blatant joke. Listen carefully to his wording and his tone. I don't know how well it came across to Sakurai through the translator, but all things considered I think that Sakurai answered appropriately in a similar manner as the original question.

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
So someone complemented Chu Dat earlier in the thread? That guy infuriates me to no end. He plays Kirby the stupidest way possible, imho. It was funny the first time I saw it like three months ago, but really, his Kamikaze Kirbyciding off of the slightest lead is the stupidest bull**** I've seen anywhere in Smash. I'm so glad Junebug kicked his campy ass last night. That playstyle is so stupid, and Kirby (and Chu) is really solid without it. The lack of finesse needed to do it is crazy, and the only way to avoid it is to turn the game into a tedious camp-fest. I really don't think Kirby is OP or needs nerfs (though that 90% chaingrab he got off on Pink Fresh's Ollie was ****in sick), but I wish that something could be done to make what he does when he has a lead not work, or at least more difficult or less rewarding. It just kinda ruins the hype of a match/set to see the entire game slow to a crawl because approaching Chu Dat when he's camping the ledge is just asking to get command grabbed, and not approaching is asking for Chu to sit there and time you out. I've got a friend who just picked this BS up in like half a day, but at least he had the decency to stop doing it when he realized it was stupid as **** and actually learn Kirby's really cool combo game.

/endsaltyjohnsrant

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
So someone complemented Chu Dat earlier in the thread? That guy infuriates me to no end. He plays Kirby the stupidest way possible, imho. It was funny the first time I saw it like three months ago, but really, his Kamikaze Kirbyciding off of the slightest lead is the stupidest bull**** I've seen anywhere in Smash. I'm so glad Junebug kicked his campy *** last night. That playstyle is so stupid, and Kirby (and Chu) is really solid without it. The lack of finesse needed to do it is crazy, and the only way to avoid it is to turn the game into a tedious camp-fest. I really don't think Kirby is OP or needs nerfs (though that 90% chaingrab he got off on Pink Fresh's Ollie was ****in sick), but I wish that something could be done to make what he does when he has a lead not work, or at least more difficult or less rewarding. It just kinda ruins the hype of a match/set to see the entire game slow to a crawl because approaching Chu Dat when he's camping the ledge is just asking to get command grabbed, and not approaching is asking for Chu to sit there and time you out. I've got a friend who just picked this BS up in like half a day, but at least he had the decency to stop doing it when he realized it was stupid as **** and actually learn Kirby's really cool combo game.

/endsaltyjohnsrant
"Play To Win"
You lack the battle hardened spirit of a true warrior.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
So someone complemented Chu Dat earlier in the thread? That guy infuriates me to no end. He plays Kirby the stupidest way possible, imho. It was funny the first time I saw it like three months ago, but really, his Kamikaze Kirbyciding off of the slightest lead is the stupidest bull**** I've seen anywhere in Smash. I'm so glad Junebug kicked his campy *** last night. That playstyle is so stupid, and Kirby (and Chu) is really solid without it. The lack of finesse needed to do it is crazy, and the only way to avoid it is to turn the game into a tedious camp-fest. I really don't think Kirby is OP or needs nerfs (though that 90% chaingrab he got off on Pink Fresh's Ollie was ****in sick), but I wish that something could be done to make what he does when he has a lead not work, or at least more difficult or less rewarding. It just kinda ruins the hype of a match/set to see the entire game slow to a crawl because approaching Chu Dat when he's camping the ledge is just asking to get command grabbed, and not approaching is asking for Chu to sit there and time you out. I've got a friend who just picked this BS up in like half a day, but at least he had the decency to stop doing it when he realized it was stupid as **** and actually learn Kirby's really cool combo game.

/endsaltyjohnsrant
Someone was bound to do it anyway. You'd be naive to think otherwise.

Plus, why should he think about what others feel about his playstyle when his playstyle is what wins him matches? It's in a local no less.

Last edited:

GrosMinou

Turbo Scrub

/endsaltyjohnsrant

The goal is to win. if people don't respect Kirby's spacing they'll be punished for it.

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
I can convert. Anyone cannnn convert, but I can. But only with the maker, not brawl box.

Someone was bound to do it anyway. You'd be naive to think otherwise.

Plus, why should he think about what others feel about his playstyle when his playstyle is what wins him matches? It's in a local no less.
I'm not naive. I just think it's boring and unsportsmanlike. If smash is an esport, then sportsmanship and watchability should be important, and I don't think Chu Dat brings either of those to the table. I'm very hesitant to call anything cheap, but I'm going to call what he does cheap. If Chu Dat gets a slight lead on you, chances are he's going to win. The ability to win by camping after getting a slight percentage/stock lead is one of the reasons Brawl is so contentious in the community, and it's in PM's mission statement that PM aims to change this and slightly favour offensive play. Chu Dat makes it pretty obvious which style is more effective in Kirby's current design, though. I consider it a flawed view to call what he does "Playing to Win." I'd barely call camping a lead "Playing" PM to begin with. It's not like he's outsmarting or outskilling (and barely out-reading) his opponents when he does this. But he's obviously winning anyways. I don't understand why there was outrage at what ZeRo did at the Invitational's GFs and everyone started asking for changes to the game because of how effective camping was, but when Chu Dat camps all the time (and gets rewarded much more for it) it gets called a good playstyle and not a game design flaw.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
I can convert. Anyone cannnn convert, but I can. But only with the maker, not brawl box.

I'm not naive. I just think it's boring and unsportsmanlike. If smash is an esport, then sportsmanship and watchability should be important, and I don't think Chu Dat brings either of those to the table. I'm very hesitant to call anything cheap, but I'm going to call what he does cheap. If Chu Dat gets a slight lead on you, chances are he's going to win. The ability to win by camping after getting a slight percentage/stock lead is one of the reasons Brawl is so contentious in the community, and it's in PM's mission statement that PM aims to change this and slightly favour offensive play. Chu Dat makes it pretty obvious which style is more effective in Kirby's current design, though. I consider it a flawed view to call what he does "Playing to Win." I'd barely call camping a lead "Playing" PM to begin with. It's not like he's outsmarting or outskilling (and barely out-reading) his opponents when he does this. But he's obviously winning anyways. I don't understand why there was outrage at what ZeRo did at the Invitational's GFs and everyone started asking for changes to the game because of how effective camping was, but when Chu Dat camps all the time (and gets rewarded much more for it) it gets called a good playstyle and not a game design flaw.
You are being naive. You assume that when money and winning something is on the line, all people will care about being exciting and fair. If you're at the cusp of winning thousands of dollars or winning something notable, there would definitely, I would say even the majority of, people who would play lame if it significantly helps them out in the end. And PM was never really to slightly favour in a more offensive way at all. And if he is touching the controller and threatening the opponent to approach, he is "playing the game." Not playing in a certain way does not automatically exempt you from the definition of "playing."

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
I am not assuming that his play style doesn't make sense. Nor am I saying that I don't understand why he plays that way. I am saying that he should not be able to play that way. I feel as though PM Kirby, when played this way, is somewhat analogous to Melee Sheik in that he invalidates a lot of the cast (in this case those without upper to top tier recoveries and approach options). I'm not saying that Chu Dat is being a meany for playing cheap. I'm saying that he should not be able to play cheap like this, that it goes against the purpose of the game, which is made quite clear. I've underlined the bullet points I think what Chu Dat does ignores. And in case it's not clear, I highlighted the last one only in reference to Kirbyciding because combos become irrelevant when that playstyle gets used, even though Kirby has a very strong combo game.

Project Goal

Project M hopes to achieve a game similar to Super Smash Bros. Melee in many respects. It does not, however, intend to be a 1:1 Melee clone. The following is a list of the main aspects of Super Smash Bros. Melee that inspired and have carried over into Project M:
  • A fast-paced game
  • with flowing, natural movement
  • where the player has a great degree of control over his character due to the technical skill that he's achieved.
  • The balance of offense and defense changes depending on the exact matchup and playstyle, but overall tends to favor offense slightly.
  • Offstage edgeguarding is risky but rewarding, while on-stage edgeguarding is safer but less rewarding.
  • Recoveries generally require great skill to use, with the advantage usually being with the edgeguarding player, with some exceptions.
  • The combos are challenging and spontaneous, with anything longer than 2-3 hits requiring a knowledge of both characters' options and some degree of prediction and/or a deep understanding of the mental aspect of the game.
In short, Project M aims to capture the essence of what made Melee a truly great game in our eyes.
I feel that what Chu Dat does goes against the majority of this. That is my complaint. I think he's scummy for using such a cheap exploit, but I'm not asking him to stop doing it. I'm saying they should patch or nerf the exploit because it favours a playstyle directly opposite the game's intended design. I don't like to say characters (even characters I don't like) should be nerfed, and I really don't want Kirby to be nerfed. I want Kirbyciding three stocks in twenty seconds for the win to not be a viable option.

ETA: Italics don't show very well with coloured text. Switched emphasis to underlines.

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Wait so was it actually juice.Doom that challenged Sakurai to a match and if he won he could help balance the game and then Sakurai said the infamous quote "Have you ever designed a game?"

juice.Doom, really?
LOL I can see it.
Sakurai has been designing video games for longer than juice.Doom has been alive.
Don't forget alot of beloved successful games and if you made so many games that people love you'll probably develop some ego at least.
Pretty sure he clarified it was meant as a lighthearted question, which was obvious and Sakurai even answers laughing when you hear the audio, and the Internet made it a bigger deal than it actually is. If it was someone like Kamiya, he would've completely ripped him apart.

Waste of a question either way.
Yo Kamiya will put you on blast and talk so much smack while doing it simultaneously on twitter calling you a few swear words under the book lol. Also Sakurai vs Kamiya would be very interesting to see if they made a game together.
There's going to be a PM tourney on Friday and most people there are brawl players

Oh boy
I don't see nothing wrong with that actually. If brawl players learn all of the melee stuff while using their defensive skills and punishment from brawl, they will be nasty in PM real rap look at some of the guys at Xanadu.

Bryonato

Green Hat
trololool, in my experience wait until Ness gets hit by the PKT and hit him about half a second after he does it. If you do it on the initial frames PKT2 wins, not sure if it has invincibru.

So basically, make him think he has a chance before yolo Falco dair.
yeah people get so trigger happy trying to kill ness right before/when pkt hits him. Ness is literally 100% easier to edge guard if you just wait for him to get hit and punish where he goes.

Not to say Ness' recovery is bad; it's godlike. But srsly patience

Player -0

Smash Hero
yeah people get so trigger happy trying to kill ness right before/when pkt hits him. Ness is literally 100% easier to edge guard if you just wait for him to get hit and punish where he goes.

Not to say Ness' recovery is bad; it's godlike. But srsly patience
Yeah, if you try to punish the initial part (in my experience) you're going to get screwed. Also unless you precisely hit/run the PKT or get Ness before it snakes around either you're eating a PKT2 or the now neutral PKT is going to render Ness fine.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I am not assuming that his play style doesn't make sense. Nor am I saying that I don't understand why he plays that way. I am saying that he should not be able to play that way. I feel as though PM Kirby, when played this way, is somewhat analogous to Melee Sheik in that he invalidates a lot of the cast (in this case those without upper to top tier recoveries and approach options). I'm not saying that Chu Dat is being a meany for playing cheap. I'm saying that he should not be able to play cheap like this, that it goes against the purpose of the game, which is made quite clear. I've underlined the bullet points I think what Chu Dat does ignores. And in case it's not clear, I highlighted the last one only in reference to Kirbyciding because combos become irrelevant when that playstyle gets used, even though Kirby has a very strong combo game.

I feel that what Chu Dat does goes against the majority of this. That is my complaint. I think he's scummy for using such a cheap exploit, but I'm not asking him to stop doing it. I'm saying they should patch or nerf the exploit because it favours a playstyle directly opposite the game's intended design. I don't like to say characters (even characters I don't like) should be nerfed, and I really don't want Kirby to be nerfed. I want Kirbyciding three stocks in twenty seconds for the win to not be a viable option.

ETA: Italics don't show very well with coloured text. Switched emphasis to underlines.
ETA means Estimated time to Arrival btw.

Also I can't help but feel that chu basically plays brawl in Project M, once he has a stock lead

Last edited:

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
I'd nerf swallow in at least one of the following ways: change the angle of release when mashing out of swallow to be above Kirby, make aerial swallow shoot out or absorb the opponent's special immediately, and/or prevent Kirby from walking backwards or jumping when he's swallowed someone.

I don't think the first idea is really necessary, but I'm not a game designer. I think the second and third ideas, when coupled together, would prevent Kirbyciding (and D3ciding) without nerfing Kirby's ability to edgeguard with swallow.

Bleck

Smash Master
At the very least, give Kirby the SSB-era Inhale, where he can't move after eating people. If you think he needs a buff in exchange, you haven't played against enough Kirby.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
It just doesn't make much sense to be released upwards from kirby.
But then again this is smash, so whatever.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Top Bottom