• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
It's sad that FF4 always gets overshadowed by the likes of 6 and 7. It has a great story and setting, and the characters are memorable. Dat Boss theme tho has gotta be the best from any rpg. And while I haven't finished 9, I remember liking it a lot, mainly because of how it went back to a crystal-centered plot. FFX was also pretty good. As for 12, all I have to say is that it had an amazing setting, with beautiful places and rich lore, but all that potential was flushed away with a terrible storyline and a lackluster cast of characters. The game didn't even have a main character.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
FF4 is probably overshadowed because the definitive version isn't on console.
The SNES version that came out (it was called FF2) got the Mystic Quest treatment, to put it lightly, and that's the version most remember.
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_IV/Version_Differences

Not really worth playing in the long run.

The GBA version restored the original mechanics, but has quite the technical problems....
Not sure about the others, but I'd love there to be a definitive console version that's not only in better English, but doesn't have the dumbed down mechanics of the SNES version.

FF12 on the other hand, was supposed to have Basch as the main character with Balthier being the secondary main character. Executive Meddling resulted in Vaan and Penelo's existence sadly. :(

Last edited:

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
FF4 was a really good game, sadly it will always be out shined by 6 and 7 (especially 7). FF5 used job's systems perfectly, but it's story wasn't so strong. FF3 was ok ( bad and somewhat good). But If i was forced to choose only ONE for the rest of my life.....
TERRA FOR LIFE <333333333333

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
FF12 on the other hand, was supposed to have Basch as the main character with Balthier being the secondary main character. Executive Meddling resulted in Vaan and Penelo's existence sadly. :(
I didn't know this. You are right, Vaan's and Penelo's presence is very unfortunate. Specially the first one, him being there makes Balthier (who could have potentially been a genuinely interesting character) look forced and artificial. Also, the main villain, if I can indeed consider him that (Vayne was it?), literally sucks ass. They should have focused more on Gabranth, imo the only good and cool character in the game. The entire story was a huge mess: you start off with what is shaping up to be the typical rebellion story, and all of a sudden, the gods come into play along with op shards of wtf? And plus, the gambit system was pretty stupid. I defeated ****ing Yiazmat in 5-6 hours or something without playing the damn game, only coming in a few times to revive the party leader or to examine the beast's design.

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
FF12's gambit system is kind of a mixed bag IMO.
In wait mode, you don't really need it at all.
But if you play in active mode, you'll need to make use of it to make sure everyone is doing something unless you turn the speed all the way down in the Config menu.
Have you tried controlling all 3 characters in Active mode without Gambits in a battle where you have to do more than Attack? LOL

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Mario and Luigi superstar saga?
Paper mario? (n64)
Paper mario: the one thousand year door?
Super mario rpg?
Mario and Luigi bowser's inside story?
The list goes on and on.......
Superstar Saga didn't really have much of a story, it just stood out because it's one of the few Mario games where Bowser wasn't the main villain. It's more of the gameplay and the charm of the game itself that made it so special and memorable, not really the story.
Paper Mario didn't really have much of a story either. Like Superstar Saga, the two main appeals of the game were the gameplay and the charming nature of the game. Exploring different worlds, getting new partners, defeating new enemies, that was fun. But it wasn't the story. The story itself was just a common Princess is kidnapped by Bowser again except its with a new twist. Let's be honest, no one really cared about the story. But I mean who cared? The game was so fun and lovable, having a lackluster story didn't matter at all.
I never finished Super Mario RPG so I can't speak for it.
TTYD actually had a respectable story along with the other two things I mentioned before. There was this kind of build up because you were fighting a new enemy that you've never faced before. The in-between chapter segments added depth to the story as it built up a side-story relationship between a girl and a heartless robot. Unlike its predecessor, more of the chapters had cool stories attached to them, making them more dynamic and interesting to play through. Finally, you were in front of the TTYD, but you never entered it until deep in the game. There was a lot of build-up and tension and is definitely one of those stories that was respectable.
BTS didn't really have much of a story, rather all you saw was a different side of Bowser. That's neat and all and everybody loved it, but there was little to it than that. Interesting gameplay and cool exploring segments spiced the gameplay, but there really wasn't anything out of the ordinary for the story itself. But like Paper Mario... who cares? The game was fun and lovable and that's all that matters.

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Indeed I have, and it gets pretty tedious, specially against stronger monsters (like in the Great Crystal or one the later mines, I forgot it's name) and bosses like Omega Mark XII. I just feel like they could have done something better with it instead of literally letting them do all the work and you just walk around and collect the loot. I remember having put gambits only for healing/reviving party members if their health got too low, I did all the rest manually. That way, I still enjoyed the battles and felt somewhat in control.

PillsBuryDopeBoy

3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
Superstar Saga didn't really have much of a story, it just stood out because it's one of the few Mario games where Bowser wasn't the main villain. It's more of the gameplay and the charm of the game itself that made it so special and memorable, not really the story.
Paper Mario didn't really have much of a story either. Like Superstar Saga, the two main appeals of the game were the gameplay and the charming nature of the game. Exploring different worlds, getting new partners, defeating new enemies, that was fun. But it wasn't the story. The story itself was just a common Princess is kidnapped by Bowser again except its with a new twist. Let's be honest, no one really cared about the story. But I mean who cared? The game was so fun and lovable, having a lackluster story didn't matter at all.
I never finished Super Mario RPG so I can't speak for it.
TTYD actually had a respectable story along with the other two things I mentioned before. There was this kind of build up because you were fighting a new enemy that you've never faced before. The in-between chapter segments added depth to the story as it built up a side-story relationship between a girl and a heartless robot. Unlike its predecessor, more of the chapters had cool stories attached to them, making them more dynamic and interesting to play through. Finally, you were in front of the TTYD, but you never entered it until deep in the game. There was a lot of build-up and tension and is definitely one of those stories that was respectable.
BTS didn't really have much of a story, rather all you saw was a different side of Bowser. That's neat and all and everybody loved it, but there was little to it than that. Interesting gameplay and cool exploring segments spiced the gameplay, but there really wasn't anything out of the ordinary for the story itself. But like Paper Mario... who cares? The game was fun and lovable and that's all that matters.
While I personally played each game for it's story (I was a weird kid), The points you made were pretty accurate. Alot of people enjoyed Saga because of its unique gameplay and charm. I'd speak on behalf of the other games, but..... I feel ubber lazy atm >.>
I think nintendo did a amazing job with TTYD, the characters, story, and overall appeal of the game are all magnificent.
Hell all the games in the paper mario series are really good. Except sticker star, that game was crap lolol

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Hell all the games in the paper mario series are really good. Except sticker star, that game was crap lolol
Yeah, I hated the gameplay for sticker star a lot too, but I heard once you got out of the "this isn't the old Paper Mario" thinking out of your head, it was actually a really good game. I could never get back into it though.
TTYD was the perfect sequel to the original 64. More dynamic worlds, better aesthetic feel, more mechanics and higher leveling system (instead of being limited to 99 BP), harder in general, better story, etc etc etc. It was a really good follow up though not without its flaws. Its a top 10 game for me for sure.

Last edited:

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
It was never necessarily the stories, but the subplots and/or script as a whole. Mario RPGs are loaded to the brim with charm which is its primary draw (which is why I'll at least hold SPM over SS; at least SPM has a soul at the center of its cruddy gameplay). PM and TTYD are built upon brilliantly simple and well-constructed battle systems while the M&L series is much more fast paced and reactionary.

Yeah, I hated the gameplay for sticker star a lot too, but I heard once you got out of the "this isn't the old Paper Mario" thinking out of your head, it was actually a really good game. I could never get back into it though.
I stopped at 2-3, but I find that hard to believe. From everything I've read, there's no story to speak of and I don't really need any more play time past where I'm at to tell me that the combat isn't going to get a single bit better (or even remotely rewarding for that matter). No compelling cast of characters + no reward for battling + barely any reward for exploring leaves me with a game that I seriously cannot consider playing.

Last edited:

PillsBuryDopeBoy

3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
All I wanted was a game like TTYD, was that too much to ask for?
The fact that ss didn't even let you level up and such was a major problem for me. When playing Paper mario 1,2,3 I enjoy fighting and leveling up, having that feeling as if though your becoming stronger. I never got that from SS. SPM had its problems sure, but nothing like SS. Hopefully the NEXT game that they make goes back to its roots.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
It was never necessarily the stories, but the subplots and/or script as a whole. Mario RPGs are loaded to the brim with charm which is its primary draw (which is why I'll at least hold SPM over SS; at least SPM has a soul at the center of its cruddy gameplay). PM and TTYD are built upon brilliantly simple and well-constructed battle systems while the M&L series is much more fast paced and reactionary.
The sub-plots for PM were pretty meh. They were decent and likable, but they weren't that great. TTYD really raised the bar.

I stopped at 2-3, but I find that hard to believe. From everything I've read, there's no story to speak of and I don't really need any more play time past where I'm at to tell me that the combat isn't going to get a single bit better (or even remotely rewarding for that matter). No compelling cast of characters + no reward for battling + barely any reward for exploring leaves me with a game that I seriously cannot consider playing.
I dunno man, that's just what I heard. Maybe not "really good game," but I definitely heard that it was solid.

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
The sub-plots for PM were pretty meh. They were decent and likable, but they weren't that great. TTYD really raised the bar.
It's the characters that drove the subplots in the PM games, specially in TTYD. Bowser in particular has a very interesting personality in the PM games which SS lacks from what I've heard.

So what do u guys think about FF15? (Your feelings about it so far)
I think it will not be out anytime soon and considering it's 8 year development cycle so far, it's destined to become the next Vaporware legend.

Last edited:

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
SS has effectively zero plot beyond the opening and the ending so it's a typical "Peach is captured" but with none of the interesting subplots to change it up.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
It's the characters that drove the subplots in the PM games
Not even honestly. If you mean "drove the subplots" by trying to acquire them and stuff, then yeah I would agree, but most of the characters had little to nothing to do with the actual sub-plots themselves. Lady Bow, Sushie (kind of), Kooper, and Goombario were really the only characters that had involvements in the sub-plot. Some of them had nice introductions, but other than that, they had nothing to do with the sub-plots. Like at all. For example, Bombette you meet in prison, but after you break out, she has little no dialogue at all for the rest of the game. Parakarry barely says anything after you find him. The only text you ever read from that point is when he delivers mail. Watt doesn't say anything either after she's found, and while Lakilester does have slight involvement with the story, he doesn't drive the subplot at all. Even Sushie to an extent was eh, because after you save the yoshi and she joins your party, she also doesn't say anything else.

TTYD succeeded in involving them much more into the subplots to the point where they actual seemed like real partners instead of just joining you.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Anyone going to play ESO? >_>

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Eh. I played a couple beta weekends and it was pretty good but I don't know if I'm feeling it. I'm putting my eggs in the Wildstar basket at this point.
Wildstar looks awesome, I'm a pretty big ES fan though and I'm enjoying the hell out of the game when I play in the betas.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I should probably check out the next ESO beta weekend; see what they've changed. It's been a while since I did one. And the ES lore stuff is pretty damn awesome, though I never played Morrowind /shame

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I should probably check out the next ESO beta weekend; see what they've changed. It's been a while since I did one. And the ES lore stuff is pretty damn awesome, though I never played Morrowind /shame
The most recent beta was farrrr better than the others IMO. Morrowind was the besttt :). I enjoyed oblivion the most actually though with a level mod.

Vashimus

Smash Master
FF4 is probably overshadowed because the definitive version isn't on console.
The SNES version that came out (it was called FF2) got the Mystic Quest treatment, to put it lightly, and that's the version most remember.
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_IV/Version_Differences

Not really worth playing in the long run.
:(
The GBA version restored the original mechanics, but has quite the technical problems....
Not sure about the others, but I'd love there to be a definitive console version that's not only in better English, but doesn't have the dumbed down mechanics of the SNES version.
The DS FF4 is harder is than even the Japanese release, but there are lots of little improvements made and things added that make it my favorite version to play (bosses have more health, new moves and counterattacks; auto-battle; ability augments; hotkey commands; new game plus; shurikens for Edge are available MUCH earlier and cost A LOT less, etc). Augments though are the huge one. Counter augment? Give it to Cecil, he'll counterattack any physical hit thrown at him. Bluff augment? Give it to Rydia to double her Intelligence like Palom does. Dualcast? Give it Rosa, she can have the option of casting two healing spells in one turn. They're a lot of fun to play around with.

Plus when you've run through FF4 so many times, you want the game to kick you in the ass from time to time.

Last edited:

PillsBuryDopeBoy

3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
Loving it atm. The battle system is awesome and cool and fresh.
Just ordered FF7 on steam and im dying to play it :X

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
I'm liking posts cuz I'm drunk. Don't worry I won't 9k+1 the thread. ;D
I might. HOLD THESE LIKES MY PEOPLE

RPG TALK HYESS

Right now I'm enjoying Bravely Default. Not too far into it yet, but I'm having the same trouble I had with some of the new DS Dragon Quest games. The lack of actual portraits for the characters bothers me tbh, I have trouble feeling any sort of investment or connection to the characters when the only thing I can thing of to represent them is a bad 3d model.

WELL, LOOKS LIKE I'M BUYING THIS GAME.
I have less than 60 to my name right now.
I'm tight.

So what do u guys think about FF15? (Your feelings about it so far)
They're still making those games? /notreallybutykwis

Thousand Year Door is one of my favorite RPGs. That game did so much right.
It's called a THOUSAND YEAR Door for HOW LONG IT'LL BE TALKED ABOUT AT MINIMUM
Best Mario RPG other the OG of them.

A month is a bit of time.
YOU CAN DO IT.
I BELIEVE IN YOU STANDARDTOASTER.
SHOW THEM THAT YOU AREN'T JUST ANOTHER TOASTER.
Show them that he's... a brave little toaster? /obscurerefs

How do you people find enough time to play Pokemon (time-consuming), Project M (obsessively time-consuming), watch animes (fairly time-consuming), play rpgs (EXTREMELY time-consuming) AND cook food, all the while being on Smashboards? I can only do, like, one of those.

I mean, do you guys even job/school?
No job yet, gimme a week or so to leave my apartment and walk across the street to the Play n trade there.
Do I have too much free time(in everyone's opinion) if I have less than 10 hours of obligations a week? LOL

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Hey, is there a terminology for this? Character X (ex: Ganondorf) performs his dair on a standing opponent, causing said opponent to fly upwards (and sometimes to their death, depending on the damage). I always called it "bouncing", but does this have a name already?

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
It's called a meteor.
But that doesn't make any sense. Meteors fall from the sky and hit the ground. Things that bounce go from the ground to the sky. Unless Ganon's foot is the meteor, but then what's the verb? Meteoring? Bouncing seems more suitable as a verb to this user.

Bryonato

Green Hat
I don't mean to be an ass, but if I'm premium why am I getting a huge blow up Lego Movie ad every time I come to this site? Maybe this isn't the place to ask.

Top Bottom