• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Anyone here have thoughts on alternate names for the 'Ranks' link in the nav bar that would make it clearer what it is?

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Attempt to SH Bair WL with Squirtle or Double Shine Up-smash With Wolf
Did you ever get that down for Ike? You told me back during like 2.5 that you thought it got patched out but I checked at the time and it was still there
and none of the changes lately should have affected it so

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I've reached a stage of boredom where I'm printing out colouring sheets from google.
Man I can remember being bored like that 10 years ago..I wish I had time to be bored now, wayyyyy too much stuff to do x.x.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Did you ever get that down for Ike? You told me back during like 2.5 that you thought it got patched out but I checked at the time and it was still there
and none of the changes lately should have affected it so
I don't remember an exact post like that but back around 2.1 I sucked at early aerials, and also got intrigued finding out about Short Hop Double Fair with Marth from this video and Eli and things https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=frl6IfNbPVg#t=247 . I had a nice guy at a tournament practice with me how to do it who happened to also be leaving the smash scene to pursue his career more or something that day after he'd been in it for apparently years (At a different tourney I asked Monkunit if he knew but he sucked at it like I did) and I got some of the concept more but I still didn't get it super down. It wasn't until later where I realized the same method I got towards Multi-shining applied to getting early aerials. So then I knew how but I still sucked at getting say SHDF truly consistent but then I realized buffer can make it easier. I had been using various amounts of buffer off and on especially for Wifi since 1.0 for the benefit of everything else it helped with like wavedashing but I didn't realize the role it also could play in buffering an aerial during jump squat to make easier early aerials. I realized Brawlruses had been using buffer not only to get off CGs and stuff easier but to get their early aerials consistent like you'd see with technical MKs. Along with that you could use it to easily test if certain things like auto-cancel aerial/double aerial/aerial WL/DJ/AGT were possible for moves. If you wanted to have the most consistent for straight testing an early aerial I'd say the max you'd need is 5 frames, and it also applies to the fact you only got around those frames for most character's jump squat (if you're then timing a waveland after the early aerial though you might as well make it like 7 frames). I used to use 3 frames at the very beginning of 1.0, then I switched to 2 as my muscle memory got the timings of things down more, and then 1 frame somewhere around 2.1 or something. Having buffer early on as beginner opens your mind to strive for movement and play you wouldn't otherwise think of, and you end up getting to reach super close to about all of that with no buffer as long as you increment down.

I realized though after getting SHDF and things easily down as time went on: certain early aerials were going to stay hard, and I wondered how consistent could one be with some of the harder ones. After all this time one can still improve on timing (early aerials) as they play the game more, but I've come to believe even top Melee players would still struggle with a lot of 1 to 2 frame sometimes multiple window maneuvers (SH Bair WL with Squirtle, SH Fair WL with Diddy, SH Bair Up-air with DK, SH Fair Bair with Marth the list goes on there's a world of 1/2 frame early aerials). This kind of gets to me differently than everything else buffer can help you with, usually it'll help you time something that anyone can do but get it frame perfect to just be straight advantageous (a roll, a shield grab, a grab after landing an aerial on shield) but the world of very early aerials is still like an almost closed door no one can access on a consistent/usable basis without 1 frame of buffer which unlocks the door of the 1 frame maneuvers to be 2 frames, and the do-able but hard 2 frame ones to be 3 frames. 1 frame of buffer hasn't set off any other big flags to me besides helping primarily with that, and of course giving 1 frame of grace/help to other simple things like I mentioned. It's hard to go against what these cult-like communities want the level of difficulty of things to be but you get from this that the game kind of feels more complete with 1 frame of buffer, compared to Melee's none with a locked viability of very early aerials and then same for Brawl's stupidly absurd amount of 10 (even 2 is pushing it to me, because once the 1 frame early aerials become 2 frames they're viable enough: similar to how Samus' SWD was made to be a 2 frame input when it was 1 frame in Melee).

I think Brawl had a lot for two reasons, 1- to make the game easier in what they thought would be an effective way, 2- for Wifi to not feel as horrible. I only defend 1 frame of buffer, and would rather have none than say the game have a forced 2 frames. I am content with none: it's just my opinion like I said I wish Melee or Brawl could have started out with 1 frame of buffer instead of going from none to tons, and possibly just for buffering aerials (and have the option to turn it off; which Brawl didn't have since they didn't want to cater to competitive players). Having the optional aid of 1 frame still isn't fair for the people who don't use it, and that's one of the the reasons I can't really argue that it should be allowed in tourneys: I would say though it definitely fits great for Wifi and for those Brawl/Newer players to enjoy the game casually and learn from it. Also don't take my views to reflect everyone else's that is a proponent of buffer or something, there's always more reasons out there on issues for better or worse. Plum (along with others out there) basically has the right mindset http://www.smashmods.com/forum/thread-1958-post-34970.html#pid34970

Also DF you mentioned wanting the PMBR's Frame Advance code, but it seems they just use one that's been available for a while now. I've been using it and it's got some issues I went over in a past post but yeah it runs good. http://smashboards.com/threads/frame-advance-code-issue.284335/ I plan to make a video about it and Melee's Debug menu and stuff.

Last edited:

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Yes, you can.
Thanks, of course I'm looking into a Gamecube controller but if I can't get one by the end of January so that I'll have enough time to adjust I'll need to use a wiichuck at the tournament I'm going too. (Yay run-on sentences)

TreK

Is "that guy"
Just make sure you remove the battery(ies) when you're not playing. You could cause accidental shutdowns or just call the home menu which can't be exited with a gamecube pad and more generally make people have a bad time.
dat tourneytiquette

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Thanks, of course I'm looking into a Gamecube controller but if I can't get one by the end of January so that I'll have enough time to adjust I'll need to use a wiichuck at the tournament I'm going too. (Yay run-on sentences)
Are you sure you won't look into a CC Pro? Those are also well suited for Smash. I can't imagine playing with wiichuk, let alone wiimote by itself.

Has anyone ever been to a tourney with just a wiimote?

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Are you sure you won't look into a CC Pro? Those are also well suited for Smash. I can't imagine playing with wiichuk, let alone wiimote by itself.

Has anyone ever been to a tourney with just a wiimote?
"Hey guys, let's have a free for all with items on! I brought my WIIMOTE!"

TreK

Is "that guy"
On my second day of playing PM, I've got my dignity handed to me on a plate with flowers and a get well soon card by a wiimote hero who played sonic.

I've also managed, that same day, to only get 2 stocked by Prof Pro's Snake.

So yeah, I had a hard time figuring out whether I was a genius or the contrary.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
I'm working on one for you now, will let you know when it's up on my archive. Just remember, once the downloads get lighter, please redownload it from the main site so they can get an accurate download count.

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
I made some changes to how threads show up on mobile.

Just make your browser narrow if you wanna see (And find anything that breaks)

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
(And find anything that breaks)
: be my bug testing guinea pigs

(loving all your site updates W7 <3)

Also @Calvo819, the Launcher is up if you have an unmodified v3.0 on your SD card. If you don't, the full zips should be up within the hour

Last edited:

Kati

Smash Lord
So if that piece of music that plays at the launcher isn't also now official PM menu music... it should be.

Oh and ban smashville music plz thx.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
That menu song sounds like it's skipping on my menu, and I really can't tell if that's supposed to be part of the song's beat or it's actually skipping.

Note, I just did the normal zip no launcher.

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
The launcher doesn't play any music for me...? It doesn't really matter, because I play on Dolphin with an injected ISO, but I'm curious as to what the music is.

Top Bottom