• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I'm serious does anyone have project m 3.6 if you do give me your FC to play a few online matches mine is 344197550152.
You have 5+ posts asking this already. If no one accepted, I don't think anyone wants to play. I'm sure there are better places to check.

uh seriously though has anyone heard from @SunJester
This is actually worrying now.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Ffffffffffffffffffff...

I never thought math would make me this angry again.

And it's not even my math homework! It's explaining to some chuckle**** that 3x5 is literally the same thing as 5x3. No, you're misunderstanding and, thus, misusing the commutative property. Even breaking it down to 3+3+3+3+3, that's the same damned thing as 5+5+5.

I 'm literally living that xkcd comic right now.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Ffffffffffffffffffff...

And it's not even my math homework! It's explaining to some chuckle**** that 3x5 is literally the same thing as 5x3. No, you're misunderstanding and, thus, misusing the commutative property. Even breaking it down to 3+3+3+3+3, that's the same damned thing as 5+5+5.

That reminds me of this

CORY

wut
BRoomer
That reminds me of this
That's almost how it was going ;x

Except he kept on talking about apples and volumes and how cars of differing heights can't go through the same tunnnels.

And I'm all like, "where did all these apples driving cars through tunnels come from? And you still don't apply the commutative property correctly..."

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Ffffffffffffffffffff...

Blah blah something about common core

In some domains the distinction between 3x5 and 5x3 is important (like the dimensions of a matrix, or non-commutative multiplication like cross product) but obviously it's irrelevant in elementary school arithmetics.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaP...&islist=false&id=379089003&m=379089914&live=1

hopefully the link works. if not, i'm too lazy to find one that will. it's just silly stuff.

yes, literally that one! all of my coworkers were literally face palming and smh-ing me. but that guy was so ****ing sure he understood how the commutative property worked (he didn't) that i had to make sure as little misinformation was being spread as possible ;x

Blah blah something about common core

In some domains the distinction between 3x5 and 5x3 is important (like the dimensions of a matrix, or non-commutative multiplication like cross product) but obviously it's irrelevant in elementary school arithmetics.
yeah, he started saying stuff like that, which was him adding context to a question which had none whatsoever, just to justify in his head overly rigid grading policies and his odd belief that math is rigid and problems can only be solved in some singular methodology.

even after i basically said "nah, bruh. like, this was literally 'little johnny, what's 3x5 equal? show me your work.' " and he kept trying to make apples drive of equal volume but different heights through tunnels or something.

honestly, it was mostly him literally misrepresenting what commutative property means (he was trying to say it meant 3x5dne5x3) and the fact that he didn't come off as trolly, just misinformed and cocky, which meant he might be going about spreading misinformation to people, which i really can't stand for ;x

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
So no Reuniclus, no Krookodile, a friggin chandelier is gonna rep gen 5. Sounds about right.

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaP...&islist=false&id=379089003&m=379089914&live=1

hopefully the link works. if not, i'm too lazy to find one that will. it's just silly stuff.

yes, literally that one! all of my coworkers were literally face palming and smh-ing me. but that guy was so ****ing sure he understood how the commutative property worked (he didn't) that i had to make sure as little misinformation was being spread as possible ;x

yeah, he started saying stuff like that, which was him adding context to a question which had none whatsoever, just to justify in his head overly rigid grading policies and his odd belief that math is rigid and problems can only be solved in some singular methodology.

even after i basically said "nah, bruh. like, this was literally 'little johnny, what's 3x5 equal? show me your work.' " and he kept trying to make apples drive of equal volume but different heights through tunnels or something.

honestly, it was mostly him literally misrepresenting what commutative property means (he was trying to say it meant 3x5dne5x3) and the fact that he didn't come off as trolly, just misinformed and cocky, which meant he might be going about spreading misinformation to people, which i really can't stand for ;x
This reminds me of the posts on facebook where you have some arithmetic problem and asks people to solve it then like 50% of the people throw out a wrong answer going like YO PEMDAS

PEMDAS is one of the things wrong with how arithmetic is taught. I hate this stigma of mathematics where it's so scary people have to find ways to circumvent understanding it, and then you have hordes of perfectly responsible adults who can't even figure out 10% of $3.00.

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
So no Reuniclus, no Krookodile, a friggin chandelier is gonna rep gen 5. Sounds about right.
There's no way it'll be the only Gen 5 rep(although I do believe that either gen 5 or 6 will be the minority of the final roster), there's still time before the Wii U version releases and dlc is a thing so another Gen 5 Pokemon is bound to show up. Just not sure who and when X)

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
This reminds me of the posts on facebook where you have some arithmetic problem and asks people to solve it then like 50% of the people throw out a wrong answer going like YO PEMDAS

PEMDAS is one of the things wrong with how arithmetic is taught. I hate this stigma of mathematics where it's so scary people have to find ways to circumvent understanding it, and then you have hordes of perfectly responsible adults who can't even figure out 10% of $3.00.
What is wrong with PEMDAS?

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
It's an arbitrary order of operations which teaches students nothing about how any of these operations or symbols do. You actually never have to follow PEMDAS at all, so long as you use commutative, distributive and associative principles correctly.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
It's an arbitrary order of operations which teaches students nothing about how any of these operations or symbols do. You actually never have to follow PEMDAS at all, so long as you use commutative, distributive and associative principles correctly.
to further his point:
https://www.wyzant.com/resources/bl...hat_you_learned_in_elementary_school_is_wrong

basically, it's not wrong, but it's a bandaid to throw over the top of stuff so you can just do a thing, instead of knowing how the thing you're doing works.

Bleck

Smash Master
a friend linked me to a video of a stage and model mod preview for smash 4 on reddit; scroll down like four or five comments and it eventually turns into a huge argument about l-canceling

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Good 'ol rote vs system.
****ing rote.
Never learned my multiplication tables just used shortcuts and did stuff like 'if 9x6 is 54 then 8x6 is 54-6'
Got by fine, still bad at math (because I'm a lazu bammu who don't homeworks, played vidja like smash 64 instead when was kiddu yes i am nerd)
System teaching is probably better in general at the pedagogical level tho.
I'm serious does anyone have project m 3.6 if you do give me your FC to play a few online matches mine is 344197550152.
just put it in your playercard avatar holder thingie to the left of your posts mang you don't gotta post it all time
also online with dat delay tho, can't do my reaction techcases, forces me to learn neutral instead of autocombopiloting my way to victory BibleThump

Last edited:

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
I like going on all-star mode, infinite timer and set the CPU on random to just play random matchups ad nauseam

drakargx

Smash Journeyman
to further his point:
https://www.wyzant.com/resources/bl...hat_you_learned_in_elementary_school_is_wrong

basically, it's not wrong, but it's a bandaid to throw over the top of stuff so you can just do a thing, instead of knowing how the thing you're doing works.
Is PEMDAS taught like that normally? The way I was taught it, 4 of the steps were combined like so:

1. Parenthesis
2. Exponent
3. Multiplication/Division, from left to right
4. Addition/Subtraction, from left to right

So in a situation like the example that guy gives where its 8-2+1, it would always be 7 because addition was tiered the same as subtraction. You start from the left and continue forward to the right, so you would first do 8-2 which is 6, then add 1 to that which makes 7. It would be wrong to do 2+1 first because there was a subtraction symbol before that.

Similarly in 6/3/3 there would be no ambiguity into whether its (6/3)/3 or 6/(3/3). It's just always (6/3)/3, because you start at the left side.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
tbh, i barely remember pemdas. that **** was back in elementary school or something. i just remembered that article after shairn started talking **** about pemdas like it was your favorite anime and went to find it because i remembered it being insightful.

xquqx

Smash Apprentice
Is PEMDAS taught like that normally? The way I was taught it, 4 of the steps were combined like so:
I learned it the same way, I didn't realize other people didn't learn the MD and AS being the same thing left to right thing. I guess now I know why people on facebook sit there going "No guys, PEMDAS, it's clearly this!" while being totally wrong.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
decided to try and pick up mewtwo on a whim. figured it shouldn't be that hard to change my control scheme and grind out moving with non-normal controls for a while.

about 45 minutes later, how the **** do you people do this? 12 years of muscle memory ruined all this stuff for me, i feel like that 10 year old that shows up at tourneys and runs off stage 3 out of 4 stocks.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Last edited:
Top Bottom