• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'm just kind of annoyed that WWHD patched some glitches but not others. It doesn't make much sense. If they're going to patch the glitches, fine, but at least do it to all of them. WWHD's speedrun route could have been glitchless just by means of them being removed, but now it's just a hodgepodge of glitchless and normal any%. It's basically saying "yeah we want to remove glitches but we're not competent enough or dedicated enough to make sure we got 'em all"

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
That's a really unreasonable thing to expect of them. I'm not sure why Nintendo in japan would have any idea of the tiny speedrunning community in america, or care at all about them even if they did. There pretty much isn't a game in existence where there aren't glitches, I don't know why anyone would care if they didn't fix all of them especially considering they fixed most of if not all the ones that froze/softlocked the game as far as I know.

I've played wind waker hundreds of times(it's my favorite zelda game) and I've never encountered a single glitch. I doubt I will in WWHD either.

Rat

Smash Lord
I'm just kind of annoyed that WWHD patched some glitches but not others. It doesn't make much sense. If they're going to patch the glitches, fine, but at least do it to all of them. WWHD's speedrun route could have been glitchless just by means of them being removed, but now it's just a hodgepodge of glitchless and normal any%. It's basically saying "yeah we want to remove glitches but we're not competent enough or dedicated enough to make sure we got 'em all"

um, yeah, I'm guessing that's not how it works sb. They probably have a deadline (unlike project m) and they didn't have enough time or budget to remove all the bugs.

They're not making the game for speed runners either - so they're going to remove that stuff. Not keep it around for the speed running community. :/

SpiderMad

Smash Master
They're teaching you kids to exercise and not just cheat your way out of bomb hovering a fairy bottle algorithm to school

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Some glitches were patched unintentionally simply because terrain was changed slightly. And storage like I said was only patched because it was brought to their attention.

metroid1117

Smash Master
By the way, if anyone wants to see some videos from the Rolla Monthly on 9/14, here are the links to the videos (posted by Darkatma, uploaded by me). These videos feature Strong Bad's Wario, my Charizard/Ike, Darkatma's Sheik, Fishburne's Ness, and Hylian's everything.

Project M Vids:

Winner's Bracket:
WR1: Atma(Sheik) vs ??(Ness): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-kyLSdrYPY
WR1: Fishburne(Ness) vs metroid(Ike): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFuFg22vMX0
WR1: King Siegfried(Marth/Falcon) vs Tmacc(Pika/Bowser): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1R0ZYMoOkY
WR2: Cookiechokester(Falcon) vs Strong Bad(Wario): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVOrJguR2lE
WR2: metroid(Charizard) vs Tmacc(MK/Pika): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUdCSHFQPO0
WS: Hylian(Stuff) vs metroid(Charizard): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fosisbEdKyk
WS: Atma(Sheik) vs Strong Bad(Wario): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuBcORJyOfk
WF: metroid(Ike) vs Strong Bad(Wario): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8WNLGjAQPg

Loser's Bracket:
LQ: Fishburne(Ness) vs Hylian(Link): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZWd5hbqjd4
LQ: Atma(Sheik) vs Vista(Wario): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smaHYICelOA
LS: Atma(Sheik) vs Fishburne(Ness): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FzQqLNSTQQ
LF: Atma(Sheik) vs metroid(Charizard): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dicttQ1Bjk

GF: metroid(Charizard) vs Strong Bad(Wario): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdVq0BMbze0
Disclaimer: none of these videos have sound, but I figured out what the problem was and solved it. My next videos will have sound.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Got some virtual dub questions.

I downloaded the K-Lite Codec Pack and I'm trying to view it via Virtual Dub but it doesn't show. How do I get it to appear?

And on that matter, I'm also having trouble getting the video preview to appear on Virtual Dub after pressing Capture AVI. Nothing's coming out.
For info, I'm using an EasyCap D60 with three Dual RCA Male to Female y-cables on my component cables (red, blue, green).

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
I've played wind waker hundreds of times(it's my favorite zelda game) and I've never encountered a single glitch. I doubt I will in WWHD either.

You're missing out dude, speedruns are really fun (when you're not messing up)

Vashimus

Smash Master
The only reason they patched storage was because some idiot did it at a best buy demo RIGHT IN FRONT OF NINTENDO REPRESENTATIVES (the same reason why the infinite sword glitch got patched in Ocarina of Time 3D). Otherwise, they would have left it the way it was. It honestly doesn't matter if a game has glitches or not as long as they're not game breaking, so I wouldn't really call it disappointing. If anything, patching those glitches takes out a lot of the fun.
You can actually still do the infinite sword glitch in the 3D version, and it also works in the console one since the method is so obscure. Even then, old bugs like turning any item into a bottle were intentionally left in. But apart from fixing game-breaking "freezing" bugs, I agree with you. If a Majora's Mask 3D comes in the future though (which it will, they hinted it far too many times), I can only hope the really fun glitches stay in.

I don't wanna go as far as to say I can't stand it, since it does have its moments as a Zelda game, but I just don't have the patience for Wind Waker. The poor pacing and extended bouts of tedium from the constant sailing weighed down the experience to the point where I barely enjoyed any of the game, as gorgeous as it was. Yeah, the HD version rectifies this to a degree with the Swift Sail and a slightly easier Triforce quest, and I'm sure I'll like it more if I ever get it, but I have to be in a certain mood to even play that game lest it feel like a chore, whereas I can just boot up OoT, MM, or TP whenever I want and still enjoy myself.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
>Pacing
>TP
>Spend 1-2 hours in the beginning of the game doing pointless ****
Nothing against TP otherwise, but pacing is certainly not its strong suit either. Slow to start and the first and second halves are really imbalanced.

WW, for me at least, was a game where pacing became irrelevant because of how free the exploration becomes. It's certainly not for everyone; if you don't like the exploration not fitting in with the pacing (as in the things you explore are out of the way rather than natural incursions), then it's totally understandable to not like it.

Vashimus

Smash Master
>Pacing
>TP
>Spend 1-2 hours in the beginning of the game doing pointless ****
Nothing against TP otherwise, but pacing is certainly not its strong suit either. Slow to start and the first and second halves are really imbalanced.

WW, for me at least, was a game where pacing became irrelevant because of how free the exploration becomes. It's certainly not for everyone; if you don't like the exploration not fitting in with the pacing (as in the things you explore are out of the way rather than natural incursions), then it's totally understandable to not like it.
Yes, Twilight Princess has a slow beginning and some faults as well. I still get rewarded with an excellent game that'll keep my attention and give me something to do. While not a Zelda game but takes a lot from It, Okami is another game that has a notoriously slow beginning to the point where I almost stopped playing right there (the beginning monologue lasts 12 minutes, followed by another 8 minutes of character interaction before you can even control Ammy, even after THAT you're still gonna do an hour of pointless stuff), which again, it picks up and makes up for it later on by again, being fantastic afterwards and giving me things do.

With Wind Waker, I didn't get any sort of satisfaction back from it to make up for the time I put into it, with a good bulk of the game spent sailing with nothing to do while doing it besides changing wind direction, unless you wanted to stop at every small island you passed, which again, all depends on if I'm in a certain mood or not. I can forgive something like a boring prologue as long as I'm promised an enjoyable experience on the other side. Or one very annoying section in an otherwise great game. Wind Waker has tedium stretched out for far too long in between events that it overshadows the parts of the game that actually are enjoyable to me. Heck, I can't even remember what most of the dungeons in Wind Waker looked like, whereas not touching TP for 2 years and coming back to it later, I still remembered how beautiful Snowpeak looked, and how confusing Lakebed Temple was. And you're right, it's not for everyone. Sure it looks nice, but for me personally, as much as it shames me to say it, I just don't find Wind Waker that enjoyable to play. I'm sure Hylian will come and call me insane, but I'm just going with my gut and how I feel.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
turbo mode is for suckas

its all about Giant Mode, Lightning Mode, Bowser Only on Big Blue

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
I liked the vastness of the ocean honestly. It actually felt like I was in an ocean sailing around. Sure it took a long time from island to island, but that was something I could live with, plus there are some ways around itj. I do understand why someone might not enjoy that feature though.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
What time do the new videos usually go up? This is the first time that I'm home during the day for one.

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
eeeeewwwwwwwwwwww

I don't wanna go as far as to say I can't stand it, since it does have its moments as a Zelda game, but I just don't have the patience for Wind Waker. The poor pacing and extended bouts of tedium from the constant sailing weighed down the experience to the point where I barely enjoyed any of the game, as gorgeous as it was. Yeah, the HD version rectifies this to a degree with the Swift Sail and a slightly easier Triforce quest, and I'm sure I'll like it more if I ever get it, but I have to be in a certain mood to even play that game lest it feel like a chore, whereas I can just boot up OoT, MM, or TP whenever I want and still enjoy myself.
With Wind Waker, I didn't get any sort of satisfaction back from it to make up for the time I put into it, with a good bulk of the game spent sailing with nothing to do while doing it besides changing wind direction, unless you wanted to stop at every small island you passed, which again, all depends on if I'm in a certain mood or not. I can forgive something like a boring prologue as long as I'm promised an enjoyable experience on the other side. Or one very annoying section in an otherwise great game. Wind Waker has tedium stretched out for far too long in between events that it overshadows the parts of the game that actually are enjoyable to me. Heck, I can't even remember what most of the dungeons in Wind Waker looked like, whereas not touching TP for 2 years and coming back to it later, I still remembered how beautiful Snowpeak looked, and how confusing Lakebed Temple was. And you're right, it's not for everyone. Sure it looks nice, but for me personally, as much as it shames me to say it, I just don't find Wind Waker that enjoyable to play. I'm sure Hylian will come and call me insane, but I'm just going with my gut and how I feel.
I agree with this guy, I played WW once and never again, same goes for Skyward Balls, but I can put in TP, OOT or MM any time and play, so much fun, I've beaten TP 6 times already, it's the one I play the most

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
You be trippin'. Windwaker is way better than TP. Agreed that Skyward Sword is not so hot.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I'm with the "Wind Waker is the best Zelda game" camp.
For me, Zelda games are all about the adventure and exploration, and no other game in the series captured that feeling as well as Wind Waker.
The world is so wide open even relative to other games in the series and I think that's what makes the game for me more than anything else.
I've played through Wind Waker dozens of times, and each time the game feels totally different. I love how I can totally control the pacing of the game moreso than any other Zelda game. I've done runs where I juts go from one temple to the next with no sidequests or exploration. I've done runs where I take my time to enjoy each island. I've even done playthroughs where I just go where the wind takes me with bare minimum direction changes. Each time I do play through the game though I discover new sidequests, new secrets, or maybe just a better way to do a puzzle; no matter what though Wind Waker feels fresh each time for me.
At least in my opinion, no other Zelda game comes close to matching what Wind Waker accomplishes. The way the art style, music, story telling, and just feel of the world itself all just come together make for such a beautiful gaming experience.

I can totally get some people not enjoying the sailing, and the fact that a lot of the exploration is totally outside of where the story takes you rather than more alongside it. It's not for everyone I guess. For me at least though it is just the best Zelda I've played. It might not be as groundbreaking as say, OoT, but it took everything in Wind Waker is just turned up to 11.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm with the "Wind Waker is the best Zelda game" camp.
For me, Zelda games are all about the adventure and exploration, and no other game in the series captured that feeling as well as Wind Waker.
The world is so wide open even relative to other games in the series and I think that's what makes the game for me more than anything else.
I've played through Wind Waker dozens of times, and each time the game feels totally different. I love how I can totally control the pacing of the game moreso than any other Zelda game. I've done runs where I juts go from one temple to the next with no sidequests or exploration. I've done runs where I take my time to enjoy each island. I've even done playthroughs where I just go where the wind takes me with bare minimum direction changes. Each time I do play through the game though I discover new sidequests, new secrets, or maybe just a better way to do a puzzle; no matter what though Wind Waker feels fresh each time for me.
At least in my opinion, no other Zelda game comes close to matching what Wind Waker accomplishes. The way the art style, music, story telling, and just feel of the world itself all just come together make for such a beautiful gaming experience.

I can totally get some people not enjoying the sailing, and the fact that a lot of the exploration is totally outside of where the story takes you rather than more alongside it. It's not for everyone I guess. For me at least though it is just the best Zelda I've played. It might not be as groundbreaking as say, OoT, but it took everything in Wind Waker is just turned up to 11.
I put Wind Waker as my second favorite after Majora's Mask.

I'm doing a thing right now where I'm playing through all the Zelda games in order of release date. I'm on Zelda II right now. **** my ass that game is hard. And not really all that fun for me. People are like "oh just because it's hard doesn't mean it's not fun" and I agree with that. It's hard and it's also not fun. It's not fun because the combat is simple and repetitive and the things you need to do to beat the game are often unexplained or plain hidden (invisible walls bull**** and stuff). Blearg. Can't wait until I'm done with this one so I can play Link to the Past!

SunJester

Smash Ace
Take it from someone who's been a fan of Zelda for a long time, and been on that internet a long time.

This is basically how it runs down.

The moral of the story is, Zelda fans get what they want and complain about it. So don't worry about what other people say. I've liked all the Zelda games (some more than others) and enjoyed each one without riding the hate train all the way to Nerd-rage-ville.

Also not pictured here was the original hate for Majoras Mask.

alsosorry shadic, i loathe zelda 2 :C

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I think a hard game is a fun game.
The distinction is when a game is no longer hard, and rather just straight up punishing.
Take Super Meat Boy as an example. Oh god can that game get hard. Spend an hour on one level? Check. Have fun for that entire hour? Check.
Not to mention how hilarious it is to watch an hour's worth of failed attempts all fly across the screen at the same time...

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
I've really liked or loved every 3D Zelda game until Skyward Sword, so it sucks that people will automatically peg you as part of the Zelda Cycle, which is a real thing but I have always avoided it because it's a pretty superficial part of the fanbase.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
You know how Link is always sided with the Gods? I'd like a Zelda where the Gods are the bad guys and Link is fighting against them. That would be cool.

Top Bottom