• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
So I'm studying for my analysis final and pull up the final from last semester as a reference, and there's an interesting bonus question:

"Give an example of a non-void set D ⊂R and a differentiable function f: D -> R such that D is included in the set of accumulation points of D, the derivative of f is equal to 0 for all x element of D and f is not constant."

I've thought of a composite function so that f is constant on either side of a point x0 but of a different value on either side (for example, the "floor" function on the interval [1.5 , 2.5]) but then it's not differentiable at the point x0 and if I exclude x0 from the domain, D is no longer included in the set of accumulation points of D. Though I guess that wouldn't work either since the limit would be different on either side.

Hm...

Helsong

Smash Ace
So I'm studying for my analysis final and pull up the final from last semester as a reference, and there's an interesting bonus question:

"Give an example of a non-void set D ⊂R and a differentiable function f: D -> R such that D is included in the set of accumulation points of D, the derivative of f is equal to 0 for all x element of D and f is not constant."

I've thought of a composite function so that f is constant on either side of a point x0 but of a different value on either side (for example, the "floor" function on the interval [1.5 , 2.5]) but then it's not differentiable at the point x0 and if I exclude x0 from the domain, D is no longer included in the set of accumulation points of D. Though I guess that wouldn't work either since the limit would be different on either side.

Hm...
At some point I actually knew how to solve this, but it's been a while since I've done much numerical analysis. DO you mind giving an overview of this problem, by any chance?

Also my brain is fried after my Algorithmic Analysis final. I thought I was good at this.
I'm not good at this. I'm a dumb dumb who doesn't deserve even a bachelor's degree.

Last edited:

drakargx

Smash Journeyman
At some point I actually knew how to solve this, but it's been a while since I've done much numerical analysis. DO you mind giving an overview of this problem, by any chance?

Also my brain is fried after my Algorithmic Analysis final. I thought I was good at this.
I'm not good at this. I'm a dumb dumb who doesn't deserve even a bachelor's degree.
2 hour exams exist solely to fry your brain in an attempt to "test what you know"

Sadly that attempt fails as it's basically "test your endurance" which is not necessarily the same thing

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
And to think some people have the gall to wonder why most of our species has no interest in STEM fields.

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
I had a 5-hour tectonics final this term. it wasn't too bad honestly, it was very process-based. like the actual questions could be theoretically answered in about 5 minutes, the rest of the time was spent actually doing the work that you realized you had to do to answer the question, such as drawing concept sketches, drawing/labeling maps, and solving equations required to do all of that. like it was a decent test of ability as well as actually teaching through the test how all of the disparate things we learned in class are related and can be used to create a complete image and explanation of phenomenae

I got an A too lmao so I guess all's well that ends well

Last edited:

Helsong

Smash Ace
2 hour exams exist solely to fry your brain in an attempt to "test what you know"

Sadly that attempt fails as it's basically "test your endurance" which is not necessarily the same thing
Ehhh, it varies by test. There are exams that legitimately need 2 hours to cover everything they have to test you on. You (ideally) learn a lot in a semester.

Last edited:

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961

I'm not sure what more I could give you, that's all there is to it on the paper. We've got the formal definitions of limits and derivatives to work with (limit: For all epsilo >0 there exists a delta >0 such that abs(f(x) - f(y)) < epsilon for all x,y element of the domain such that abs(x - y) < delta) and a bunch of other theorems.

Lizalfos

Smash Master

Dude you are fine. At this rate I'm uncertain if I'm even going to survive HS.

So I have to write about a discourse community I'm involved with and also make a presentation including and interview with another member and documentation. At first I thought I was going to do PMS, but that is just lewd.

It is either due in 16 or 32 hours and I have to do tons of other **** too.

Last edited:

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Just signed up for a contemporary japanese litterature class next semester

On a scale of one to S2J at BH5 how hard did I **** up

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again

it depends on how fluent in japanese you are

or if the class is taught in translation and it's going to be about murakami novels and whatnot
in that case it depends on how confident you are with analyzing literature

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Just signed up for a contemporary Japanese literature class next semester

If you don't git real gud real quick at understanding the language, Plank and Pound 5.

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master

999%%%%%
Foreign Language is the worst. Either you learn nothing or its ****ons of work. I took an extra year of Spanish because I thought that it would be cool to be proficient in a language and that it would help me in college onward. Then I realized that it aligns with 0 of my actual long term goals, I'm bad at spanish, and I hate spanish.
Dropping it for comp sci. Going to get a half credit for the first half of Spanish 4 as an "independent study" looool like anyone is buying that ****.

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
it depends on how fluent in japanese you are

or if the class is taught in translation and it's going to be about murakami novels and whatnot
in that case it depends on how confident you are with analyzing literature
100% sure it's in french since the teacher seems to be like... spanish or something. Not that it'd matter I think. I assume it'll be mostly Murakami, Souseki, Edogawa Ranpo maybe? Though I think those last two might not be "contemporary".

I'm scared of the weebs mostly.

999%%%%%
Foreign Language is the worst. Either you learn nothing or its ****ons of work. I took an extra year of Spanish because I thought that it would be cool to be proficient in a language and that it would help me in college onward. Then I realized that it aligns with 0 of my actual long term goals, I'm bad at spanish, and I hate spanish.
Dropping it for comp sci. Going to get a half credit for the first half of Spanish 4 as an "independent study" looool like anyone is buying that ****.
The class is most likely not in Japanese
I already speak Japanese anyway

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
100% sure it's in french since the teacher seems to be like... spanish or something. Not that it'd matter I think. I assume it'll be mostly Murakami, Souseki, Edogawa Ranpo maybe? Though I think those last two might not be "contemporary".

I'm scared of the weebs mostly.

The class is most likely not in Japanese
I already speak Japanese anyway
Oh that sounds fun.
Edit: I'm just going to get my weeb friend to interview and say my discourse community is Waifuism or some ****.

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
Discourse community is kinda dumb. I have to figure out whether I want to do Cross Country, Dota, or some other thingy.

Also projects.

On the happy (not really?) side I might not be very busy soon.

interpunct

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EliteInterpunct
3DS FC
3110-5751-3360
Are you using the X button to jump? For Fox I use the Y button and slide my thumb. IMO its easier than Falco. Once I got that down, I just did the same motion but with X and the timing works out perfectly for his slower jump. Don't worry about sliding over the A button since it won't have any effect.
This is very good to know. Thank you. I'm always scared of pressing A.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
They're an "interest", and they now need 'protection'. They aren't going anywhere.

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
Dude you are fine. At this rate I'm uncertain if I'm even going to survive HS.

So I have to write about a discourse community I'm involved with and also make a presentation including and interview with another member and documentation. At first I thought I was going to do PMS, but that is just lewd.

It is either due in 16 or 32 hours and I have to do tons of other **** too.
Speaking of ****ing up HS, I'm signing up for a GED (passed the practice tests) and trying out my hand at college next semester. English major like every other filthy peasant, here I come. (I'll probably take illustrative-arts classes and see if I can make anything better of myself in that regard, that might help to lighten my mood round here.)

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
...I just remembered that it's my birthday today?

welp. I'm getting myself, uh. a birthday cinnamon roll. yes, that's totally a thing I only do on my birthday, obviously

Helsong

Smash Ace
...I just remembered that it's my birthday today?

welp. I'm getting myself, uh. a birthday cinnamon roll. yes, that's totally a thing I only do on my birthday, obviously
Happy birthday! Cinnamon rolls are pretty delicious. I actually go for a slice of Tiramisu myself.

Also what does "following" do exactly, cuz now I've got like two people stalking me or something.

Rawkobo

Smash Ace
Happy birthday! Cinnamon rolls are pretty delicious. I actually go for a slice of Tiramisu myself.

Also what does "following" do exactly, cuz now I've got like two people stalking me or something.
as far as i know it's like having "friends" on a forum board except you don't necessarily have that much of a choice in the matter

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
as far as i know it's like having "friends" on a forum board except you don't necessarily have that much of a choice in the matter
A while ago "Follow" used to be Friends. I don't know why it was changed, but it's cool, makes me feel important.

Top Bottom