• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Kushina43

Smash Apprentice
I myself have been getting better at 3S with my main man:

Still haven't won anything yet though
Hell, I've hit more Gigas than I've won rounds lmao

MLGF

Smash Lord
Holy ****, my hands are spontaneously hurting again.

~Now remembering why I stopped labbing 24/7~

**** you NY, making me try.

No but really, I haven't been so motivated to level up in a long time, I just wish I could take more then an hour of practice every two days.

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I eagerly anticipate circlejerking Melee to the top of the GameFAQs popularity contest
Maybe Sakurai will see the truth then

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I eagerly anticipate circlejerking Melee to the top of the GameFAQs popularity contest
Maybe Sakurai will see the truth then
Sakurai is intentionally avoiding competitive smash.

He's aware of us in the highest degree.

He just doesnt like us.

This is the ninja that was disappointed that both teams in a baseball match COULDNT BOTH BE WINNERS.

He feels that its his mission to make everyone "winners" and that no one should feel the sting of being a "loser".

Master Hero Samurai will never change.

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Holy ****, my hands are spontaneously hurting again.

~Now remembering why I stopped labbing 24/7~

**** you NY, making me try.

No but really, I haven't been so motivated to level up in a long time, I just wish I could take more then an hour of practice every two days.
Do you do hand stretches?

And warmups, if you do intense tech stuff?

MLGF

Smash Lord
At this point...
Ima vote Undertale on the basis I'm still mad that Melee beat Chrono Trigger.

CORY CORY I do hand stretches after/mid practice, but I don't really know any warmups. Any tips?

Last edited:

Helsong

Smash Ace
Sakurai's like the extremities of some modern education system.
Apparently my cousin's high school adopted a policy where they can't give out zeros to students. They almost made it a rule that you can't grade in red pen. Madness.

Melee beating Chrono Trigger puzzled me. One's a unique concept for a fighting game and an interesting movement system but rife with flaws. The other's one of the best jRPGs ever made with great art direction, fantastic music, and a vibrant cast. Recency bias?
I dunno, anytime I try to imply Melee isn't God's gift to mankind I get ******* out and also this is gamefaqs so....

Last edited:

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
reminder that Sakurai chose to make many reskins of final destination instead of simply giving the option to turn off stage hazards

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard

He just doesnt like us.

This is the ***** that was disappointed that both teams in a baseball match COULDNT BOTH BE WINNERS.

He feels that its his mission to make everyone "winners" and that no one should feel the sting of being a "loser".

I see.

So, even if Melee won all the popularity contests ever...

he might say something to the effect of

"I get the feeling that the vocal minority of hardcore players might be masochists and sadists, possibly botnet hackers because don't you find it odd so many unique IPs voted for such an incredibly difficult game that's literally no fun for casuals? Oh well, I suppose there's nothing I can do about them being mentally disturbed children who've never made a video game before."

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
reminder that Sakurai chose to make many reskins of final destination instead of simply giving the option to turn off stage hazards
That would make Smash too much like PSASBR, says Sakurai. Such arrogance.
Sakurai's like the extremities of some modern education system.
Apparently my cousin's high school adopted a policy where they can't give out zeros to students. They almost made it a rule that you can't grade in red pen. Madness.

Melee beating Chrono Trigger puzzled me. One's a unique concept for a fighting game and an interesting movement system but rife with flaws. The other's one of the best jRPGs ever made with great art direction, fantastic music, and a vibrant cast. Recency bias?
I dunno, anytime I try to imply Melee isn't God's gift to mankind I get ******* out and also this is gamefaqs so....
Sakurai is silly.
Edit: so are 'mandatory education' laws smh imo

On the Chrono Trigger, also account that Melee is multiplayer, and more people played it.
To some, it's not just about the game itself, but the meta which is community.
The spirits of comradeship make strong, beautiful games appear much stronger and more beautiful.
Melee was better than 99% of games in that it provided glorious competitive mechanics and casual experiences.

Last edited:

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
That would make Smash too much like PSASBR, says Sakurai. Such arrogance.
Sakurai is silly.
I remember when Sakurai announced his PS3's hard drive failed, and people joked it's because he tried to play the PlayStation All-Stars demo.

Helsong

Smash Ace
On the Chrono Trigger, also account that Melee is multiplayer, and more people played it.
To some, it's not just about the game itself, but the meta which is community.
The spirits of comradeship make strong, beautiful games appear much stronger and more beautiful.
Melee was better than 99% of games in that it provided glorious competitive mechanics and casual experiences.
Yeah, these sorts of contests are always very much about overall people experiences, and not about individual merit of the game itself, which is kinda how I'd prefer it to be.

But then, what merits would you judge it on? Especially when you being crossing genres, there's not always any sort of common value you can do merit-based judging on. And really, with something as subjective as this, you'd have difficulty finding agreement even if you found common values.
I dunno, I just find game comparisons silly even when within genres, if you're not clearly defining what you're judging them on.

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
once upon a time in like 2011 a game magazine had a developer bracket thing where people voted for the best developer

and guess who won
and beat nintendo in the first round

a studio with only 1 game to its name at the time that hasn't produced anything else since

****in mojang

so yeah any sort of tournament like this is weird af

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Put on tinfoil hats.

Everything makes sense now, thanks. A lot of happenings these days feel like Harry Potter where Snape was actually on your side and someone you thought was wasn't.
They almost made it a rule that you can't grade in red pen. Madness.
Is there a specific color they want instead? If there's actual research behind any of it, that would be interesting.

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
At this point...
Ima vote Undertale on the basis I'm still mad that Melee beat Chrono Trigger.

CORY CORY I do hand stretches after/mid practice, but I don't really know any warmups. Any tips?
Not really, outside of the standard "do what you're aiming to do, just with less intensity." Like, i f you multishines without clawgrip, move your thumb along the motions slowly, stuff like that.

Something else that I heard from a local player is to consciously focus on keeping your grip loose. Having a really tight grip and quick repetitive actions leads to a lot of strain and then to hand pains.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Yeah, these sorts of contests are always very much about overall people experiences, and not about individual merit of the game itself, which is kinda how I'd prefer it to be.

But then, what merits would you judge it on?
The games themselves are as responsible for the experience and community as much as anything else, so I'd take any feats of community as demonstrations of the game's merit by extension.
Especially when you being crossing genres, there's not always any sort of common value you can do merit-based judging on.
And really, with something as subjective as this, you'd have difficulty finding agreement even if you found common values.
I dunno, I just find game comparisons silly even when within genres, if you're not clearly defining what you're judging them on.
Clearly defining is the key, but the waters are inherently muddy.

Doesn't mean the buried treasures aren't there, just that they're hard to see sometimes.
There are objective principles in good writing (consistent and believable characters are better in general, redundant language should usually be eliminated, elimination of factors that break immersion), so too is there in game design (Reduction of frustration insofar as possible, such as by reducing RNG arbitration. The removal of all complexity that is unnecessary to depth, elimination of factors that break immersion). By analogy, these principles are like scuba gear or submarines, which aid us in our search through the muddy waters.
Merits are judged categorically and comparatively based on these principles.

For example, it should be fairly easy to discern which one did graphics better in which senses of that word.
First, the sense is defined: graphics as an aid to immersion. Determine that by point out all the glaring inconsistencies that'd likely take people out of the game world in each, and if it's difficult to tell which is truly worse or better then say they're roughly even. Just as we don't have a perfect sense of hot and cold, we can still feel to a range and differentiate with reasonable certainty. Muddy waters again.

As for which principles hold more importance, well, that's where I think the subjectivity and genre come in.

Also what the **** even is a game?
I mean I'd consider Single Button Melee and regular Melee different games entirely. Some would say 'no they're on the same disk' to which I respond 'so are all the megaman x games on my megaman x collection disk.'
But then they're like 'well fine but if you want to take your principle to the logical conclusion you'd have to say that if anyone adjusted any of the rules at all or even changed character color then it'd be a different game.'
And I'm like 'yeah but you're wrong too so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯'

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
This would actually make sense if the PMDT didn't claim (or at least imply) that they weren't even contacted by Nintendo about the game.

Regardless, **** Konami.
They were contacted by someone but yeah **** Konami too.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
i'm extremely sad that I'll never get to rapidly tell people that I wont lose q~q

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Not really, outside of the standard "do what you're aiming to do, just with less intensity." Like, i f you multishines without clawgrip, move your thumb along the motions slowly, stuff like that.

Something else that I heard from a local player is to consciously focus on keeping your grip loose. Having a really tight grip and quick repetitive actions leads to a lot of strain and then to hand pains.
Claw grip master race

Yeah, relax is the best way to go. Be cool, Jets.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Claw grip master race

Yeah, relax is the best way to go. Be cool, Jets.
This is a useless post which would be served better as a like only.

I'm in a circle jerking mood right now likes for everyone
I also happen to agree in some capacity with all the things I like.
At which point does it be come "I like words"
I feel like this is the worst sort of poop post
Semi-shameless anti-ironic doo doo posting is still crap posting right?

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
M2K: 26 years old, has the hands of a 60 year old
Sakonoko: 36 years old, has the hands of a 20 year old

gamecube controllers kill, kids

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776

He just doesnt like us.

This is the ninja that was disappointed that both teams in a baseball match COULDNT BOTH BE WINNERS.

"Because if everyone's a winner...WAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....no one will be..."
-Mashpotato Sour-rye.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
I feel like lots of smasher say this just because they're used to gamecube controllers and couldn't image it otherwise
jokes on you kid

I only switched to gamecube controller because I couldnt find a way to wire a classic controller to a GCC port about 6 months into me playing smash (so no wii mote)

I still think the CC has superior button layout other than the control stick and dpad

Last edited:

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
it took me like a month of playing skullgirls nonstop before i stopped trying to do aerials with the c stick

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Q: Why don't we see maces and axes that much in high medieval / renaissance warfare / art / manuals where armor is prevalent?
A: Take a longsword and hold it the other way around. Congratulations, you now have a mace.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Q: Why don't we see maces and axes that much in high medieval / renaissance warfare / art / manuals where armor is prevalent?
A: Take a longsword and hold it the other way around. Congratulations, you now have a mace.
Q: Why dont people hold their swords the other way round in medieval art?
A: Because it's now on the ground

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Man **** Meleee.

Also Shocktop's Lemon Shady is best.

Look up Nate Taylor on fb. Profile pic is me in a suit.
That's you? Sorry mate. I don't like kicking out people out of the room spots. You're first on my waiting list though.
I myself have been getting better at 3S with my main man:

Still haven't won anything yet though
Hell, I've hit more Gigas than I've won rounds lmao
See me in 3S when I get internet nerd.

Top Bottom