• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Bleck

Smash Master
The Phantom Menace is the story of Qui-Gon Jinn. Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith are the stories of Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi. The original trilogy is the story of Luke.

You can tell this because the stories are only emotionally resonant from their perspective (which is the point of a character being the protagonist). Why most people, for example, don't understand The Phantom Menace is because they think the protagonist is Anakin, which he couldn't be, because none of the stuff that happens in the movie is important to the story when viewed from his perspective.

The perspective that you view a story from makes all the difference. Something good can very easily be boring if you're looking at it the wrong way.

Last edited:

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
The Phantom Menace is the story of Qui-Gon Jinn. Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith are the stories of Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi. The original trilogy is the story of Luke.

You can tell this because the stories are only emotionally resonant from their perspective (which is the point of a character being the protagonist). Why most people, for example, don't understand The Phantom Menace is because they think the protagonist is Anakin, which he couldn't be, because none of the stuff that happens in the movie is important to the story when viewed from his perspective.

The perspective that you view a story from makes all the difference. Something good can very easily be boring if you're looking at it the wrong way.
I'm not sure that even with that in mind The Phantom Menace and its story would be entirely fixed for people who don't care for them, but that's a good point.

Player -0

Smash Hero
I'm kinda sad that the Extended Universe for Star Wars got retconned hard.

RIP characters like the Solo kids, Mara Jade, and cool peeps.

Edit - I mean stories are still there but not canon and idk if it'll be written about anymore. Kinda loses some limelight so to speak.

Hype because new stuff though.

Kinda.

Last edited:

Blazing Ambition

Smash Journeyman
Player -0 Player -0 ehhhh... extended universe was kinda lame imo
too much thrawn and force clones

also like everyone gets a lightsaber wtf
leia gets one
her son gets one
her daughter gets one
luke's wife gets one
heck there's probably some random wookie that gets one
something something kyp durron

but yeah totally agree Bleck Bleck w/ his analysis of the prequel triliogy
seeing obi-wan try to be a mentor/ father figure to the young, rebellious anakin
even though his own mentor died AS A DIRECT RESULT of trying to train the kid
was great to watch, especially as anakin throws the whole "chosen one" trope on it's head by being corrupted by passion
and obi-wan has to destroy the monster he's created.

Bleck

Smash Master
seeing obi-wan try to be a mentor/ father figure to the young, rebellious anakin
even though his own mentor died AS A DIRECT RESULT of trying to train the kid
was great to watch, especially as anakin throws the whole "chosen one" trope on it's head by being corrupted by passion
and obi-wan has to destroy the monster he's created.
Anakin's not the corrupted one, though, is the thing - it's Obi-Wan, and the rest of the Jedi. Consider that the reason Anakin is a "monster" is because he loves another person* - there's a huge disconnect, and this is also honestly sort of emblematic of a lot of problems in real life society(!), between an organization that supposedly exists to promote peace and pacifism and understanding but simultaneously trains its neophytes to be sociopathic murder machines. How can any Jedi be truly connected to the universe if they're taught that it's wrong to connect with other people?

The first real character moment we see for Obi-Wan in The Phantom Menace is when he argues that they shouldn't save Jar-Jar because he's just some dumb annoying alien. Qui-Gon gently reminds him that that's the whole ****in' point of being a Jedi in the first place, and then the Jedi Council more or less takes the same stance (implicitly, by choosing not to help unless the Senate elects to do so).

The point of Qui-Gon's story in TPM is to illustrate corruption within the Jedi Order - there are several more moments in the film where it's clear that Obi-Wan conflicted with his master's teachings and how they clash with his perspective of what it means to be a Jedi.

The tragedy of the film, and of the subsequent two films, is that when Qui-Gon pleads with Obi-Wan to train Anakin, he hasn't had enough time to teach Obi-Wan what being a Jedi really means - peace, love, acceptance.

This is why Luke's triumph in Episode Six is not a lightsaber battle, but his refusal to fight any more. With his acceptance of the fact that Darth Vader can still do the right thing, regardless of what he's done. By forgiving Darth Vader, and refusing to be a part of the Emperor's cycle of conflict, he's the first Jedi since Qui-Gon Jinn and who knows how long before that to truly be a Jedi. It's literally the Return Of The Jedi.

*He also kills a bunch of kids, yes, but this is because he was manipulated by a villain who was only in a position to do so because of the corruption with the Jedi in the first place.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My favorite Star Wars film was probably the Lego one, what a timeless classic.

Muscle_Senpai

Smash Apprentice
350 to rent for 1-3 days, ****** you high as a mother ******.
In other news, managed to sling the xbox 1 Halo 5 bundle as a present to the girl for her b-day even though I wanted it too, clutch right? Anyway Got that Digital DL but can't play til it comes out for everyone. Who up on that Guardians though?

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Amazing.
I wasn't allowed to watch Star Wars as a kid so I never understood any references other than the usual "I am your father" stuff
What is wrong with your parents?
GUYS I SAID THAT I WOULD MAKE A GAME FOR A BUSSNIESS CONFRENCE I THINK IT CAN BE ANYTHING IDEAS GO
Giant robots. Chicks dig 'em. :^)
I'm renting a Darth Vader costume for the premiere. It's going to cost me several hundred dollars.
Worth every penny.

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
Blazing Ambition Blazing Ambition I mean, Luke's wife used to be an emperor's hand so :/. Besides that Luke was pretty much rebuilding the Jedi order so it makes sense people around him are Jedi (it's his family, Midiochlorians work somehow? Idek how they work).

Bleck Bleck I feel like some of the things you said are kinda sketchy/weird. I'll write out some of the stuff later.

But yeah EU was written by different people so it gets a bit weird.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Does anyone know how the old PT final smash worked?

AKA: Is it possible for the PT mons to use assets such as Solar Beam, Fire Blast, and so on from there?

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I wasn't the biggest fan of EU. I agree with Bleck--- not a lot of the writers "got" the essence down. I did, however, like the ideas behind KotR and the pre-movie days (I didn't like how said ideas eventually came to fruition, though, revolving specifically around Revan aka Jedi Jesus. ****ing Bioware and SWTOR).

That said, though, while I immensely respect Lucas as a creator (I do like Star Wars a lot as a setting, probably one of the coolest around imo), I'm not a big fan of his storytelling (most of my grievances lie in the prequel trilogy, as per what SunJester outlined). I also don't agree with a lot of the changes he made to the canon, specifically where Starkiller is concerned (yes that whole thing did happen, according to Lucas) and kinda stripping the ambiguity of the Force down a little more with the animated series.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Tumblrtale looks pretty aight, I might pick it up.

Gotta get those $5+ emotes too, lmao

D

Deleted member

Hello peepz.

Any news on 4.0? I heard a rumor the PMDT got a C&D, can anyone confirm?

I know there's no official talk of it, but the PMDT is still working on the mod, right?

Top Bottom