• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

D

Deleted member

the original statement is that physical fitness is a requirement for sports, not that physical fitness translates into natural ability at any given sport.

i think i hate you.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
the original statement is that physical fitness is a requirement for sports, not that physical fitness translates into natural ability at any given sport.

i think i hate you.
you just said Babe Ruth was a terrible example of an athlete, because nobody was in super great shape back then. Was baseball not a sport back then? You can talk about how old an example it is all you want, it doesn't go away.

how about this, let's say I play baseball. I'm not very good at it, and I'm not in very good shape. I somehow get picked up for a terrible, minor league team. Is baseball now no longer a sport?

Cuz I can play it, believe you me. I played it when I was 10. In fact, out of shape 10 year olds can totally play baseball. It's not impossible. It happens all the time. People playing a sport poorly doesn't make it stop being a sport.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
WHAT'S THIS?
ANOTHER POINTLESS ARGUMENT ABOUT POINTLESS THINGS ON A POINTLESS THREAD WOEFULLY UNDERPOPULATED BY BEES?
A LARGE INFLUX OF BEES OUTTA PUT A STOP TO THAT!

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
So anyway 3.0 is super fun. I'm gonna need to get a new controller soon, my stick is getting a bit wobbly after all these years. Need to replace the faceplate too anyway... the notches are getting too rounded out.

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
If Chess can be a sport, so can competitive gaming. If physical prowess is still the only thing you need to convince you something is a sport, you have to admit that playing a fighting game requires a fair bit of dexterity, something that not all people have.

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
So anyway 3.0 is super fun. I'm gonna need to get a new controller soon, my stick is getting a bit wobbly after all these years. Need to replace the faceplate too anyway... the notches are getting too rounded out.
Trying to save this thread indirectly, arent we?

And my controller's stick turned from being yellow into blue, my hands are weird

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Ohhh, ok you're right. That's why Michael Jordan was so good at baseball. And that Babe Ruth guy, what a fat slob. He must have been the worst.
Hitting a baseball is a very, very specialized skill. It wouldn't be too far-fetched to say that hitting a MLB pitch consistently and make it to at least first is one of the hardest things to do in all of sports. Babe Ruth was able to set a home run record only because his muscles were physically fit for the job. Michael Jordan on the other hand had muscles that were fit for Basketball. Ruth was in fact physically capable, just in a different way, much like the reason why Jordan sucked at Baseball but was amazing in Basketball. How high you jump and how swiftly you can position yourself in reference to the opposing team's offense/defense does not transition well into a sport like baseball. No doubt they still require a specific kind of finesse, but the muscles that Babe Ruth has would be entirely unnecessary for Jordan when playing basketball.
I suppose you can simplify it like this: Jordan was actually not fit because he did not have the proper finesse for playing baseball. Ruth on the other hand had enough body strength to favor his swing, a perfectly fine body for this sport. Having a six-pack doesn't automatically make you the strongest man alive. Different sports require different muscles.
I'm not arguing that sports do not require dexterity in order to be professional, but to insinuate that physical fitness is irrelevant for such sports is just plain wrong.

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
Some people who know nothing about games doesn't think of competitive gaming as a sport?

Shocker.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
the fact that physically fit people play it isn't what makes it a sport though. Michael Jordan playing baseball, and being bad at it, did not make it no longer a sport. 8 year olds can play baseball.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
My control stick doesn't even have a pad on it, and my R button can't do full presses. I'm living the hard life, guys.
I've got a really terrible controller made up of mostly spare parts that has a stick with no pad. How can you even use that thing man? It's like slippery and painful. Ow.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
I've got a really terrible controller made up of mostly spare parts that has a stick with no pad. How can you even use that thing man? It's like slippery and painful. Ow.
At least you have controllers, I`m having to play using telekinesis and it`s really difficult!

SpiderMad

Smash Master
My control stick doesn't even have a pad on it, and my R button can't do full presses. I'm living the hard life, guys.
#lightpress
Trying to save this thread indirectly, arent we?

And my controller's stick turned from being yellow into blue, my hands are weird
wth, Take a picture of it

Also once again this friday, me and 3 other ppl (Tango,Octorok, and special guest Kai) should be streaming around 7, twitch.tv/spidermad
be prepared for the squirtle action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbG8Mpt_2iw (<- not this quality)

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Are you the Abominable Snowman of Dubai? Actually wait, I think I got a controller my friend used to use that has weird discoloration let me check: couldn't find it. Did you move to Dubai Eric?

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Don't worry Khlx, the same thing happens to my control stick a lot. idk why it happens, though.

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Im actually fine with it being like that, it doesnt affect how i play, and it kinda... looks better

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
how have you not seen any white controllers before
they are the only ones you can still get new so they tend to be everywhere nowadays

JOE!

Smash Hero
lol no sumo wrestlers are incredibly fit for what they do, they have metabolisms of champions and intense strength.

unless you're just being sarcastic, which makes more sense.
Was making a point of how fat =/= unfit.

You can be "fat" and still be in good physical condition, just look at most strength competitions: they are filled with "big boys" who can perform herculean feats no other athletes can.

Kati

Smash Lord
I just replaced Saffron City today, so this isn't a request or anything, but I just had the thought that if Saffron was remade using Spear Pillar as a base (rather than using a rel file to port it over), the background legendary pokemon could be repositioned to spawn by the door and mimic the original hazard in the process.

Top Bottom