• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

SunJester

Smash Ace
Don't take that video so seriously.

All it is, is a video of an older generation going

"YOUNGER PPLS ARE DUM, WE'RE THE BEST GENERATION, (Insert decade here)'s 4 LYFE"

Hell you see it with "90's kids" talking crap about current kids. It's freaking everywhere, don't take it so seriously and do what you love. Do it without feeling the need for validation for a group who wouldn't give you validation regardless of your hobbies/passions.

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
Toaster please stop making me smile. I'm trying to be upset about HorribleSubs not uploading Kill la Kill episode 12 yet.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
The one thing I didn't get is calling eSports fans crazy. Really? Have you seen (non-US) football fans? The things that transpire in the world's biggest sports events can be absolutely terrifying. And to mention US-related insanity, there's the stupid bull**** that goes down between Auburn-Alabama.

Like, at the very worst eSports fans are immature and childish, but to look at that like that's somehow a huge offense (like pointing out that **** jokes are often made even though CFB fans happily did the same over Winston) is such a stupid joke to me.

Ultimate Sneeze

Smash Apprentice
While I participate in sports/competitive physical activity (Track4Lyfe), I really enjoy video games as a competitive medium.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to undersell sports or anything. For instance, when you're running an race at a rate that's pushing yourself, it's not only an intense challenge but a test of your mental fortitude as well. Each and every physical sport brings something different to the table, and each to their own. There's no doubt that physical competition is healthy and deserves respect and admiration.

Video Games, though, man. Its amazing how people don't respect competition where the playing field is evened for everyone (Not everyone, but many more people.) Send me out to play American Football and I'll probably come home with a concussion at best, but when the playing field is SNES Ghost Valley 3 or Yoshi's Story, each of us has an equal opportunity to win given enough work is put in. The cool thing about video games is that when you take away a lot of major physical aspects, it opens up a lot of room for mental competition instead, which is something that is heavily undersold in this day and age.

Basically it's just weird to me that millions of people can get excited about watching two groups of men run into each other for a few hours, but wouldn't respect Fly Amanita's SoPo.

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
Ha, I prefer Unomar myself.

I pluck Pikmin until I get a purple and throw the others away. Then I just try and beat guys up, just me and ol' purple. It's a wonderful bonding experience, you get real attached to the guy by the time he blooms.

It's pretty much the only way to play the character. Recovery is for nerds anyway.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
that's cute, you must think you're being funny :dr^_^:

don't mind me by the way
been drinking wine by myself all night

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
:glare: So anyone who dominates with Sopo is cool bcuz Melee but when someone else tries to create a new underdog it`s the equivalent of reviving Satan?
sopo is different for two reasons
nobody mains sopo, players who "dominate" with him are just ICs mains that naturally have a lot of SoPo experience because that comes with the territory of every match they play
SoPo has a full moveset, and sucks because his moves are designed to be enhanced by the addition of a second character that aids in extending punishes and covering his otherwise bad moves, not because he needs the additional character to make his moves

Ha, I prefer Unomar myself.

I pluck Pikmin until I get a purple and throw the others away. Then I just try and beat guys up, just me and ol' purple. It's a wonderful bonding experience, you get real attached to the guy by the time he blooms.

It's pretty much the only way to play the character. Recovery is for nerds anyway.
I wish this were possible without having to throw away pikmin
seriously PMBR, consider that whole stance thing i posted earlier which was just someone elses idea regurgitated
olimar's a brawl-new character anyways, it's not like you've ever been that dedicated to preserving their playstyles, why not go all out?

don't mind me by the way

been drinking wine by myself all night
don't mind me by the way
i've been drinkingfood by myself all night

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
unfortunately, they won't be dying off until we are really too old to do anything fun that's held back by their criticisms
man **** evolution for giving us such short life spans with even less time in between generations
in comparison to the progression of society i mean not in comparison to other animals
we have it pretty well of in those terms
and when are the transhumanists gonna get their **** together and give me that extended lifespan they promised us anyways?

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
RIP in pieces Dr. Bees avatar
you started what would get this thread locked, and for that I will always love you
but now it's time for something new

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Where is the Dislike button, so I can press it on all these posts saying it's ok for them to think eSports aren't really sports?

If fighting games, and stuff like Dota/Lol aren't sports, then what is? How's it different from football? Or running track? Or ****ing bobsledding? It's a competition, where one person/team comes out victorious. It's gotten to the point where millions of dollars can be made doing it. People can spectate it. What the **** is the difference? There isn't.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Where is the Dislike button, so I can press it on all these posts saying it's ok for them to think eSports aren't really sports?

If fighting games, and stuff like Dota/Lol aren't sports, then what is? How's it different from football? Or running track? Or ****ing bobsledding? It's a competition, where one person/team comes out victorious. It's gotten to the point where millions of dollars can be made doing it. People can spectate it. What the **** is the difference? There isn't.
so it's not okay for people to have opinions?
note that I'm choosing to ignore the fact that the views in that video were largely expressed out of a lack of any real understanding of what eSports even are to begin with, and instead defending the viewpoint from the hypothetical that they do understand eSports and that drawing the conclusion that they are not real sports is still perfectly valid despite my disagreement with it

the difference is in how you define what a "sport" even is
if you look at my post earlier in the thread where I posted SportAccord's (world's largest sporting organization) own definition of what a sport is then yes eSports are real sports, as are many other controversial activities like chess (which is an official member of their organization, as well as the Olympic Committee)

if you use a different, but still valid definition (as there is no universally accepted definition) then you can just as easily come to the conclusion that eSports are not sports, but merely competitions

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Bryant Gumbel is always behind the times, as he is the same moron in this unaired clip from 1994:

"What is the internet anyway?"

"Do you write to it like mail?"

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Whether or not something is a legitimate sport is not an opinion. Failing to recognize what something is, is just that, a failure. Allowing people to not recognize it for what it is, diminishes it. You act like I should respect their right to not recognize it. Should it not be them who should respect our right to recognize it as a sport? It's about respect, and we're not getting any. If you just say "that's ok", then nobody will ever get the respect they deserve.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
You're failing to address my point that they can use a different definition of what constitutes a "sport" than what you choose to use.
Somebody can say that a sport requires a physicality that is absent in activities like video games and chess.
Somebody can say that a sport is any activity that can be taken to a certain competitive level.
Both of those definitions are valid. Depending on what dictionary you look at you might find one or the other. Hell, they might have both. And that's why this argument can exist, and why both sides are in a way, right.
Personally I think eSports and similar activities that focus on mental and coordination driven skills qualify as real sports. I don't think physicality has to be a defining feature of a sport. But if somebody does they aren't wrong, and as long as they are educated on the subject I fully embrace their right to think so. My problem with the video was not their thoughts, but rather the ignorance surrounding it. If they were educated on the subject and drew the same conclusion it would be completely different.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
the problem is that educated people simply disagreeing with the definition of "sport", make uneducated people think it's ok to say "lol, they are just star trek convention nerds, not atheletes". Why would you want to give ammunition to morons, by saying "it's not a sport, by this specific definition of a sport"?

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Gaming can be considered a sport, but I still wouldn't put it in the same realm of difficulty of some other sports like Football and Soccer.

D

Deleted member

The difference is the physical prowess involved. it's why fat people can play smash but suck at soccer. Get real.

I think I disagree with you on literally every subject ever.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think comparing e-Sports and regular sports they way people are doing it isn't the right thing to do.

I think of it like e-Mail and regular mail. They both accomplish the same goal: getting information out to someone far away using primarily words. But e-Mail doesn't use paper, ink, envelopes, stamps... it doesn't go through a physical post office. It isn't carried by real people. Those things are replicated digitally. It's the electronic form of a physical thing we're familiar with.

e-Sports, like regular sports, involve competition between two or more people. It can be one-on-one or team-based. People win money for triumphing. It's the electronic version of something physical that we already have a basis for: competition. There is a physicality to it -- pro players do incredible things with their hands. It's just that that is generally the only body part used to complement the intellectual side of it.

Take for example two "sports" that I consider very similar to e-Sports: Bowling and Billiards. While generally much slower paced, they require physical acuity -- you're performing precise and deliberate physical actions to compliment the large mental game. Fat people can engage and succeed in both of these sports and they have actually become a haven for people who aren't as physically fit as might be required for other sports. The same goes for e-Sports. Many people probably don't consider Bowling or Billiards "real sports" for that very reason.

Anyway the point is I consider e-Sports and regular sports to be complimentary to each other and I find e-Sports to be a natural progression of the drive for humans to compete.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
The difference is the physical prowess involved. it's why fat people can play smash but suck at soccer. Get real.

I think I disagree with you on literally every subject ever.
Why does physical prowess matter? All physical fitness does is make it so you can play soccer. You can be physically fit, and still suck at soccer. You can also be really really good at soccer, but be out of shape (though you'd probably need to get in shape if you want to actually play a whole game). Physical fitness is irrelevant. Let some ****ing soccer player try playing smash, and see how well he does. He'd ****ing suck at it, just like I'd get beat if I tried to play soccer. It's a skill that takes a lot of talent, and practice to be good at. Why is that different from a sport?

D

Deleted member

nothing shows relevance like using 90+ year old examples.

babe ruth also played for 2 decades in an era pre-dating modern health care. one might say that his physical fitness is a statement about the standard physique of the sport at the time, not about the viability of that physique in modern sports.

Top Bottom