• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
what happens to entrepreneurs that don't have the means to produce/advertise their stuff ? i may not be right about this but i think they just cease to exist without intellectual property
Well, all one has to do is look at history.
For one of the countless examples, Charles Dickens had absolutely no protection for his great works of literature, and he made a fortune. The Shakespeare family still gets money for the contributions of their forefather, despite having no state-enforced 'claim' to it.

It'd be pertinent to define what an entrepreneur is.
Such a person is anyone who undertakes some risk with the anticipation of future profit in a market context.
The mechanisms of a market operating without state-enforced IP are fascinating. One way or another, entrepreneurs find a way to profit at their risk, and thereby enrich society.

Comedians, for example, operate without protection, likewise with magicians, and the fashion industry, and food recipes, and the sculptural design of cars, and furniture.
The comic industry employs reputation-based self-policing. Comics who steal jokes are shunned, and their show attendance drops dramatically. Likewise, magicians who reveal secrets... Well, the guy who did that famous T.V. show isn't in the best of financial conditions.

While I view producing a joke no different from producing a furniture design or other physical goods, since they are both fundamentally the construction of scarce things from scarce resources, there is an interesting difference in that, as the capital required to beget something goes up, so does the organization and capital base that supports it, IF there is sufficient profit motive. That is, the firm / businessman hires the smart people for R&D and supplies the tools necessary for them to design goods.

As for the fairy-tale case of a down-and-out homeless person with a million dollar idea, we have to look to many Asian immigrants, whose time preferences and willingness to save and work hard has ended up in many small businesses and stable incomes. Even in these dark economic times, with a market beset on all sides, hope is not far away for entrepreneurs.

Last edited:

Rawkobo

Smash Ace
so has ipk gotten over the lucario nerfs yet or is it just quiet for now

edit: as a clarification i am half-joking

Last edited:

Professor Gravy

I've got a PhD in delicious
what happens to entrepreneurs that don't have the means to produce/advertise their stuff ? i may not be right about this but i think they just cease to exist without intellectual property
oh look a bunch of people with the means to produce/advertise there stuff or aren't really applicable
Lets say that I am an electrical engineer who works for himself and dose contract work for places that need electrical
engineering. I on my own time have designed an op-amp which is ideal for the emulation of a vacuum tube. There is a demand for such a product but I have no means to mass produce an op-amp. what you do now in this situation would be to patent it then sell/licence it out to companies for production. what do you propose that this person do if he could not take any ownership of this op-amp design?

Edit: im not saying that the current system regarding intellectual property is good. im just saying that completely getting rid of it is pretty stupid when all that is really necessary is the homogenization of copyright law across all counties, the broadening of fair use, and better protections for people whose work falls under fair use.

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Capitalism is not a system that works as long the rich and powerful are allowed to live pulling the crap they do. As long as they don't get killed+made examples of to discourage anyone else who might follow their path after they get ground to paste, their kind WILL keep screwing it up for everyone else.
It's what they do.

Violent revolution to put them in their place(the GROUND) is what us filthy peasants do when they get too uppity, as it has been throughout the history of our species.
Why can't Intellectual Property law just not exist?
Because self-serving trash at the top profit off them being allowed to exist, and they don't like positive change that would destroy their primary mains of gain. Aren't us fleshlies just grand?
...Ain't life just peachy?

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Lets say that I am an electrical engineer who works for himself and dose contract work for places that need electrical
engineering. I on my own time have designed an op-amp which is ideal for the emulation of a vacuum tube. There is a demand for such a product but I have no means to mass produce an op-amp. what you do now in this situation would be to patent it then sell/licence it out to companies for production. what do you propose that this person do if he could not take any ownership of this op-amp design?
Wow, there's no need to be so mean in summarizing what I said :(
People can gain the means to produce / advertise their goods and services from nothing but themselves, as was pointed out in the last paragraph.
That aside, let us imagine a person who cannot.
The contract steps in.
"I will demonstrate my technology to you in a limited capacity, and you are bound not to utilize any information gained if we are not able to negotiate a mutually favorable deal for this technology."

Edit: another possibility, then. Private patent houses. As with the comedians, and with PR companies, it's reputation-based, and you can imagine how they operate.

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
As if most corporate types actually let binding stuff like that stop them from stealing trade secrets anyways.

Last edited:

Professor Gravy

Wow, there's no need to be so mean in summarizing what I said :(
People can gain the means to produce / advertise their goods and services from nothing but themselves, as was pointed out in the last paragraph.
That aside, let us imagine a person who cannot.
The contract steps in.
"I will demonstrate my technology to you in a limited capacity, and you are bound not to utilize any information gained if we are not able to negotiate a mutually favorable deal for this technology."
yea i guess that makes since but getting rid of a system as big as the copyright system is much harder than making changes to it that in the end have the same effect.

Edit:yea abolishing copyright law would make the value of raw materials spike and wreck the world econmy

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
yea i guess that makes since but getting rid of a system as big as the copyright system is much harder than making changes to it that in the end have the same effect.
Hey, thanks for your consideration! :D
I see what you mean from a political inertia perspective, but, insofar as a law makes the market act like the market, as is natural, it's superfluous, like writing a law stating that gravity shall attract by a squared proportion.
As if most corporate types actually let binding stuff like that stop them from stealing trade secrets anyways.
I can't recall any cases. In fact, when someone stole Pepsi's (or was it Coca Cola's?) formula and tried to deal it to the other, the other had the man jailed and returned the documents forthwith.
Granting there may be those that we do not know about, aye, I have no faith in the system / courts either, however, if evidence beyond reasonable doubt is brought up... I believe there's a more than 98% chance that it'll get through with a hard ruling in favor of the party in the right.
Capitalism is not a system that works as long the rich and powerful are allowed to live pulling the crap they do. As long as they don't get killed+made examples of to discourage anyone else who might follow their path after they get ground to paste, their kind WILL keep screwing it up for everyone else.
It's what they do.

Violent revolution to put them in their place(the GROUND) is what us filthy peasants do when they get too uppity, as it has been throughout the history of our species.Because self-serving trash at the top profit off them being allowed to exist, and they don't like positive change that would destroy their primary mains of gain. Aren't us fleshlies just grand?
...Ain't life just peachy?
If I'm allowed to, I'd like to distinguish capitalism from state capitalism, or 'croney' capitalism. In capitalism, the market is utterly unhampered. To the degree capitalism becomes 'state' or generates perverse incentives for regulatory capture instead of entrepreneurship, the market becomes hampered.

I believe you're directing your anger in the wrong place, if only ever so very slightly. The political elite are closer to the crimes you describe. Having wealth in an of itself is not evil, nor does it implicate one to wrong.
Edit:yea abolishing copyright law would make the value of raw materials spike and wreck the world econmy
I don't understand what you mean. Do you mean that the market would realize malinvestment and capital would be freed up for more productive ends? Because that sounds good to me :D

Last edited:

Professor Gravy

I don't understand what you mean. Do you mean that the market would realize malinvestment and capital would be freed up for more productive ends? Because that sounds good to me :D
companies that have most of their value in intellectual properties like Microsoft and apple will crash while the value of companies like exxon will spike. its not capital being freed up its capital teleporting from peoples pockets into other peoples pockets. also people invested in companies like microsoft will be unable to sell their stock because no one will buy the stock of a companie they know will fail

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Google today...
Having wealth in an of itself is not evil, nor does it implicate one to wrong.
That much I agree with. I'm a hardliner, but I'm not blind/unreasonable about this sort of thing.
...Mostly.

PootisKonga

Smash Ace
One Minute Melee rematch

If I could be honest here I'm pissed that Zaraki never used his Shikai/Bankai in this fight. Not to mention that Bleach feats tend to be much greater than SF feats, but having Oni win in something that boasts about "no research" is obviously a "Rule of Cool" thing so whatever

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
One Minute Melee rematch

If I could be honest here I'm pissed that Zaraki never used his Shikai/Bankai in this fight. Not to mention that Bleach feats tend to be much greater than SF feats, but having Oni win in something that boasts about "no research" is obviously a "Rule of Cool" thing so whatever
Lol don't take Screwattack seriously, they mess up a lot.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
I started doubting them when Death Battle had Gaara lose to Toph, honestly.
Toph is the most powerful Earthbender and Metalbender in the world, essentially undefeated.

Gaara starts off looking like a scary threat until he is exposed hardcore.

The results make perfect sense.

PootisKonga

Smash Ace
Gaara has far greater speed and reaction times as a Kage-level shinobi as well as needing far less movement to control even huge quantities of sand (enough to protect a village from a gigantic bomb, and that was early post-timeskip when he only got stronger since then) and doesn't need to consciously control the much denser protective sand around him

Edit: To bolster my point, pre-timeskip Rock Lee was practically supersonic and could definitely cause sizable craters with a punch or kick if he decided to. And Gaara (admittedly just barely) beat him. I doubt Toph has the speed to deal with young Lee, let alone Kage Gaara

Last edited:

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Toph can read whatever an opponent does before they even do it thanks to her seeing anything attached to Earth. At her peak she is a walking earthquake/mountain/quicksand pit without breaking a sweat or using any chakra whatsoever. Her power is nearly limitless in the force it can bring down upon you.

If this was Kakashi we were talking about possibly, since lightning is strong against earth and he can hold his ground against anybody, but Gaara can't and he was made even weaker without Shukaku. Since he wasn't able to learn how to control his power and use it to its full potential.

PootisKonga

Smash Ace
I would think the supersonic speed feats alone would secure the win for Gaara. Aside from the inconsistent lightning, the fastest thing we've seen someone dodge on reaction in Avatar IIRC is arrows, and even then those were also aimed to pin, not kill, so it would have been easier to avoid.

Predict all you want, if you can't react to all of it you're toast anyway

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Characters with supersonic speed or whatever it is in Naruto world manage to get hit plenty of times with non-supersonic projectiles cough paper mache cough despite this overwhelming advantage they should have to dodge it. In fact I would say in fiction superspeed is the most inconsistent power that is ever applied, since if the character really was untouchable the story would be boring. So Gaara can get hit, he has plenty of times. His sand isn't supersonic, and its power depends heavily on where they are fighting.

Gaara underestimates his opponents and no doubt wouldn't know what hit him from all sides at once. From this defensive position he can't mount the perfect attack against Toph. So under perfect circumstances I guess Gaara can win, but Toph is more versatile.

Last edited:

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
Lmao at Kakashi maybe beats Toph, Kakashi solos the avatar verse.... And Toph isn't even good with sand. Making a small version of ba sing sei doesn't show that you can use sand to fight and Gaara controls pretty much the whole desert, that's almost country level control

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
If we are talking a desert, then absolutely the Death Battle was unfairly stacked against Toph. But putting her in her weakest place as a child and Gaara in his strongest is a bull**** premise to begin with.

But after her childhood there is no doubt she mastered sandbending. She mastered mudbending and I doubt sand is much more difficult than that.

Last edited:

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
Lol well Screwattack does a lot of battles that never should have happened in the 1st place tbh. Gaara vs Toph being one, along with Pikachu vs Blanka and Link vs Cloud just to name a few. If a character can't fight at their full power then it's a bad match up along with other reasons

CORY

wut
BRoomer
guys, need some recommendations for mid speed edm stuff. i need something to keep a beat with while i work on transitions and consistency, but pretty much everything i find youtubing "edm music" and its ilk gets me long ass mixes with notable tempo changes in between the tracks, which would be great for when i get competent and want to do cool stuff, but i need to work on fundamentals still right now.

AuraMaudeGone

Smash Ace
guys, need some recommendations for mid speed edm stuff. i need something to keep a beat with while i work on transitions and consistency, but pretty much everything i find youtubing "edm music" and its ilk gets me long *** mixes with notable tempo changes in between the tracks, which would be great for when i get competent and want to do cool stuff, but i need to work on fundamentals still right now.
I could probably help. Any specific subgenre you're looking for?

CORY

wut
BRoomer
What are you doing Cory
shuffling. i'm working on smoothing out the basic steps (running man and a few simple variants, t-step and some variants, reverse t-step, spins).
I could probably help. Any specific subgenre you're looking for?
just... edm? i'm not sure what sub-genres would have managable tempos. probably not hardstyle songs, since those tend to be really quick and punchy. i want to work up to that, but i'm not there yet.

i mostly just want a few songs that have similar tempos so i can put them on a repeat playlist and use them to make myself stay on time as i do transitions and smooth out the basics.

i guess you could say i'm labbing dance steps?

AuraMaudeGone

Smash Ace
shuffling. i'm working on smoothing out the basic steps (running man and a few simple variants, t-step and some variants, reverse t-step, spins).

just... edm? i'm not sure what sub-genres would have managable tempos. probably not hardstyle songs, since those tend to be really quick and punchy. i want to work up to that, but i'm not there yet.

i mostly just want a few songs that have similar tempos so i can put them on a repeat playlist and use them to make myself stay on time as i do transitions and smooth out the basics.

i guess you could say i'm labbing dance steps?
How's this?
Warning: It starts out reaaallly slow. The song picks up @ 1:55 ish

Top Bottom