• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

steelguttey

mei is bei
so I go to play FFXIV

[12:52:27 AM] Jude: "you need a square enix account"
[12:52:31 AM] Jude: okay I'll make one
[12:52:36 AM] Jude: -doesn't get the confirm e-mail-
[12:52:42 AM] Jude: I google the problem
[12:52:46 AM] Jude: "you probably already have one dude"
[12:53:00 AM] Jude: I go to the website and click on "forgot my ID"
[12:53:16 AM] Jude: "alright dude give us your e-mail and answer this question and we'll give you a new password"
[12:53:23 AM] Jude: okay yeah but I need to know my ID-
[12:53:30 AM] Jude: "alright dude you're done now you have a new password enjoy"
[12:53:48 AM] Jude: okay that's stupid BUT I can use my e-mail to log into the website
[12:53:53 AM] Jude: I discover my id, have new password, okay good
[12:53:58 AM] Jude: I log in on the launcher
[12:54:10 AM] Jude: "you need a code to activate your account"
[12:54:14 AM] Jude: okay no I want to play the free trial
[12:54:25 AM] Jude: I google why it's asking me for a code
[12:54:32 AM] Jude: "you need to download the separate free trial"
[12:54:33 AM] Jude: uuugh okay
[12:54:41 AM] Jude: I enter "final fantasy demo" into steam
[12:54:46 AM] Jude: DID YOU MEAN DAWN OF WAR DEMO
[12:54:47 AM] Jude: no
[12:54:53 AM] Jude: DID YOU MEAN DAWN OF WAR: THE EXPANSION DEMO
[12:54:54 AM] Jude: no
[12:54:58 AM] Jude: DID YOU MEAN CIV 5 DEMO
[12:55:00 AM] Jude: no
[12:55:08 AM] Jude: DID YOU MEAN CIV 5: GODS AND KINGS DEMO
[12:55:09 AM] Jude: no
[12:55:18 AM] Jude: DID YOU MEAN CIV 5: BRAVE NEW WORLD DEMO
[12:55:21 AM] Jude: y-no
[12:55:28 AM] Jude: DID YOU MEAN FINAL FANTASY XIV DEMO
[12:55:30 AM] Jude: okay yes finally
[12:55:32 AM] Jude: click install
[12:55:37 AM] Jude: "you already have this installed"
[12:55:42 AM] Jude: it launches the same launcher
[12:55:44 AM] Jude: holy ****
[12:55:51 AM] Jude: I input my account the same way
[12:55:56 AM] Jude: "alright cool starting your free trial"
[12:56:01 AM] Jude: jesus ****ing christ finally
[12:56:12 AM] Jude: "we just have to download some patches, it'll be about four hours"
[12:56:15 AM] Jude: are you ****
[12:56:17 AM] Jude: ING KIDDING ME
[3:47:56 AM] Jude: epilogue; hours later I finish patching
[3:48:00 AM] Jude: the game's servers are down
[4:18:15 PM] Jude: so I sit down to finally play ffxiv
[4:18:21 PM] Jude: and I don't know what server to pick
[4:18:39 PM] Jude: I don't want to just random one 'cause if it's wrong transferring to a different one costs EIGHTEEN DOLLARS
[4:18:53 PM] Jude: and jeff won't tell me because he's presumably a-****ing-sleep
[4:19:02 PM] Jude: I just want to play this ****ing game you guys
-dude tells me which server-
[5:28:13 PM] Jude: it's straight up not letting me make a character in that server~ I have to wait until 6pm to try again
[5:32:17 PM] Jude: oh no wait it's 6pm pdt
[5:32:29 PM] Jude: so I have to wait
[5:32:32 PM] Jude: three and a half hours
[5:32:34 PM] Jude: you guys
[5:32:46 PM] Jude: I haven't even played this game yet and it's killing me
thats what turned me off to the game. its like they dont want you playing it because of their ****ty servers.

AuraMaudeGone

Smash Ace
@ CORY CORY @ AuraMaudeGone AuraMaudeGone

yeah, i've been on an edm kick for about two years now and i'm glad i have

i found a lot of artists out of listening to eric prydz, who does some absolutely incredible work mixing and constructing tracks

led me to kaskade, deepest blue, roger sanchez, and so on

i do like some more popular club musicians like calvin harris, swedish house mafia, david guetta, deadmau5, etc. for their beats on occasion, but those are the contemporaries i enjoy the most

i play a mixed pandora station of all of them when i lab smash or do something thought-provoking or that requires concentration; it's kinda nice
Yea, I hoarded A LOT of electronic music in highschool (2008~2011). Mostly House music, DnB, Jungle, Downtempo, early Dubstep, among other genres.

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
I mostly listen to electronic music and prog rock because reasons.
Also whatever genre Nujabes is.

I'm no good at musical knowledge.

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord
I mostly listen to electronic music and prog rock because reasons.
Also whatever genre Nujabes is.

I'm no good at musical knowledge.
Nujabes is instrumental hip-hop/trip-hop. If you like his stuff, check out DJ Okawari and Blazo who I think honestly make better music.

I'm really ****in' picky with music, and only found about ~20 musical acts I like so far. To compensate I learn about and listen to as much as I can of them, it's almost pathetic how much I've looked into about Daft Punk and Justice rofl.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I don't like Pizza Villa and my dad does
We're getting Pizza Hut instead
My dad sacrifices so much for his children D:

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Nujabes is instrumental hip-hop/trip-hop. If you like his stuff, check out DJ Okawari and Blazo who I think honestly make better music.

I'm really ****in' picky with music, and only found about ~20 musical acts I like so far. To compensate I learn about and listen to as much as I can of them, it's almost pathetic how much I've looked into about Daft Punk and Justice rofl.
Listen to Wolves in the Throne Room.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Melee evo pools are final

Anyone know anyone in my pool? HMW is obviously first seed, I think I recognize globe, redox, and the name Daniel Martinez but I'm not sure
Screenshot_2015-07-07-16-40-36.png

Last edited:

Helsong

Smash Ace
Most of my musical knowledge is all geared towards classical. I can listen to almost anything, but my knowledge is pretty slim on any other front.

Out of curiosity, what's the appeal to EDM for you fans? I've really only enjoyed it in games, as opposed to listening to songs of the genre on their own. With the context of being just music as opposed to being composed for something, the genre always felt rather lifeless, but that's probably due to my own lack of listening to it much. A good beat is nice, but I never felt any real emotion or had an intense experience listening to a song. It's always been "just pleasant". When fused with other styles, it tends to be more interesting to me-but there's always the chance I just haven't found the right subgenre yet.

Last edited:

AuraMaudeGone

Smash Ace
Most of my musical knowledge is all geared towards classical. I can listen to almost anything, but my knowledge is pretty slim on any other front.

Out of curiosity, what's the appeal to EDM for you fans? I've really only enjoyed it in games, as opposed to listening to songs of the genre on their own. With the context of being just music as opposed to being composed for something, the genre always felt rather lifeless, but that's probably due to my own lack of listening to it much. A good beat is nice, but I never felt any real emotion or had an intense experience listening to a song. It's always been "just pleasant". When fused with other styles, it tends to be more interesting to me-but there's always the chance I just haven't found the right subgenre yet.
After some small debtae, my friends and I agree that EDM is a pretty broad umbrella term for a lot of genres even though some of them can't even be considered "dance music". For me, the people/scene, clubs, raves.

Helsong

Smash Ace
After some small debtae, my friends and I agree that EDM is a pretty broad umbrella term for a lot of genres even though some of them can't even be considered "dance music". For me, the people/scene, clubs, raves.
Yeah, EDM does seem like a pretty broad category, which why I was thinking I just didn't find the right variation or style of it. For example, I've seen people refer to Trance as EDM, but I can't see myself dancing to most songs of that genre I've heard. But House, I can pretty easily dance to, and I get into it a lot more than others, especially the more funk and disco inspired tracks.

So for you, most of the appeal comes from the experiences surrounding the music, as opposed to the music itself? Or is it kinda 50/50?

Last edited:

AuraMaudeGone

Smash Ace
So for you, most of the appeal comes from the experiences surrounding the music, as opposed to the music itself? Or is it kinda 50/50?
50/50. I enjoy the music a lot by itself, but when I finally got opportunities to enjoy it with other people, I appreciate it a lot more.

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord

New age French house is the genre that most resonates with me; it's technically 'EDM', I guess, but I feel like EDM now is more of a genre than a medium, if anything, and modern French house shouldn't really be paired with it.

When it comes to the better artists, it's got unique hooks, typically disco inspired; eclectic and relatively thoughtful composition, amazing production, and really interesting timbres.

Like this song is one of my favorites. It starts off with an ominous bell to set atmosphere, then brings in these aggressive groovy funk synths, that eventually leads to metal shredding Yngwie esque guitar arpeggios, and concludes with a completely synthetic baroque section.

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
Thanks sax now I have to watch the whole movie again.

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord
Thanks sax now I have to watch the whole movie again.
Mansta, I actually have a version of Interstella this guy on Reddit and I made where we ripped the Blu-Ray video and added a vinyl FLAC rip of Discovery and put them together for the best quality possible. Idr how the guy did it but he was able to mix in all of the sound effects too (except the sounds of the aircrafts hovering over the concert during One More Time) so nothing was lost. :]

EDIT: I'M A PHONY we actually never put the special credits mix of Aerodynamic back into it iirc rofl. It was basically just the baroque part of Aerodynamic with the bell chime overlaid.

Last edited:

Helsong

Smash Ace
New age French house is the genre that most resonates with me; it's technically 'EDM', I guess, but I feel like EDM now is more of a genre than a medium, if anything, and modern French house shouldn't really be paired with it.

When it comes to the better artists, it's got unique hooks, typically disco inspired; eclectic and relatively thoughtful composition, amazing production, and really interesting timbres.

Like this song is one of my favorites. It starts off with an ominous bell to set atmosphere, then brings in these aggressive groovy funk synths, that eventually leads to metal shredding Yngwie esque guitar arpeggios, and concludes with a completely synthetic baroque section.
All variations of House have usually been a pleasure to listen to for me. Daft Punk is fantastic, and I never feel bored listening to them. I'm also a sucker for when they use more classical-inspired structures and instruments, even when synthetic. It's never felt like their use of synthesized instruments was there to make up for the lack of a physical one. The funk and disco influences are something I appreciate as well. Are there other artists that are comparable? I saw Justice get mentioned a page back.

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Anything specific? Listened to The Cleansing and couldn't get into it whatsoever.
I love their first album, but their second is usually hailed as their best. Their first four albums are all atmospheric black metal, but the track A Looming Resonance off of their EP Malevolent Grain is a taste of what they sound like w/o distortion. Their fifth album is actually an just dark atmospheric music, though.

Definitely try listening to one of their albums through on one sitting. I'm gonna suggest Two Hunters, which is the album Cleansing is off of. Be sure to look up the fifth track of the album (To Reveal) which was only included in the vinyl re-release. If you can't look past the metal, then definitely try A Looming Resonance and Celestite (their latest album).
Demo 1
Demo 2
Album 1
Album 2
Track 5
Album 3
EP
Album 4
Album 5

Most dance music bad, but it's okay because the people listening to it are drunk and horny.

Last edited:

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
Mansta, I actually have a version of Interstella this guy on Reddit and I made where we ripped the Blu-Ray video and added a vinyl FLAC rip of Discovery and put them together for the best quality possible. Idr how the guy did it but he was able to mix in all of the sound effects too (except the sounds of the aircrafts hovering over the concert during One More Time) so nothing was lost. :]
Oh my god that sounds amazing. Way better than the youtube rip I had of it around 2008.

Also Interstella technically is my first anime, huh. I watched it a lot back then.

Last edited:

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord
All variations of House have usually been a pleasure to listen to for me. Daft Punk is fantastic, and I never feel bored listening to them. I'm also a sucker for when they use more classical-inspired structures and instruments, even when synthetic. It's never felt like their use of synthesized instruments was there to make up for the lack of a physical one. The funk and disco influences are something I appreciate as well. Are there other artists that are comparable? I saw Justice get mentioned a page back.
Oh god, don't get me started or else I will never stop talking rofl. Justice is on the same level as Daft Punk in my eyes, which means really, really ****ing good. A lot more well versed in theory than Daft Punk; their composition is generally more classically inspired a lot of the time relative to Daft Punk, and their songs usually traverse more than DP's do as a result. Funnily enough, they're a lot more hard-hitting and can get really gritty and distorted. Here's a few of Justice's tracks you may like:

Justice - D.A.N.C.E.

Justice - Valentine

Justice - Let There Be Light

There's a few other artists I can recommend if you want, but I can also kinda guide you along Justice's discography if you're interested in them. If you like those songs, definitely check out their debut album entitled Cross first.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
I like all kinds nds of stuff, but my preferred genre is metal, typically harder/darker stuff.

But, my favorite band is queens of the stone age. I really like all of their stuff, though era vulgaris is pretty weak, IMO. Josh homme also has, like 80 side projects, which are mostly really good.

For edm style stuff, most of the appeal to me is dancing now, but the more chill stuff is nice to have for studying, especially when it's light on lyrics.

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord
I like all kinds nds of stuff, but my preferred genre is metal, typically harder/darker stuff.

But, my favorite band is queens of the stone age. I really like all of their stuff, though era vulgaris is pretty weak, IMO. Josh homme also has, like 80 side projects, which are mostly really good.

For edm style stuff, most of the appeal to me is dancing now, but the more chill stuff is nice to have for studying, especially when it's light on lyrics.
Dude you should totally check out Justice. They're heavy rock/metal inspired and are darker/harder than a lot of the guys out there at times. Also make some of the catchiest and danceable tracks out there imo.

PMS moreso @Bleck @ Helsong Helsong and CORY, I wanna take you all on a musical journey.

Helsong

Smash Ace
Oh god, don't get me started or else I will never stop talking rofl. Justice is on the same level as Daft Punk in my eyes, which means really, really ****ing good. A lot more well versed in theory than Daft Punk; their composition is generally more classically inspired a lot of the time relative to Daft Punk, and their songs usually traverse more than DP's do as a result. Funnily enough, they're a lot more hard-hitting and can get really gritty and distorted. Here's a few of Justice's tracks you may like:

Justice - D.A.N.C.E.

Justice - Valentine

Justice - Let There Be Light

There's a few other artists I can recommend if you want, but I can also kinda guide you along Justice's discography if you're interested in them. If you like those songs, definitely check out their debut album entitled Cross first.
This was very fun to listen to, thanks! I'll definitely check them out. Feels like good music to groove to. Some of the distortions they do in their sound are actually kind of engaging. I feel like it's almost a detriment and an added bonus to my listening experience, which makes the songs pretty fascinating. Like, I'm not sure if I enjoy listening to them so much as I enjoy picking the songs apart over multiple listens.

I got into metal a lot in my early teen years, but never into...I think it's called nu metal or something? Just felt like music designed to grate-which can definitely work, and has it's place as art, but I rarely had the desire to actually listen to it. Some heavier stuff I can like, but I've always favored metal that placed a heavier emphasis on precise or technical play, as well as more melodic instrumentals.

As an aside, I should probably get into Progressive Rock sometime.

@ Saxophoneoftime Saxophoneoftime sounds like fun.

Last edited:

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord
This was very fun to listen to, thanks! I'll definitely check them out. Feels like good music to groove to. Some of the distortions they do in their sound are actually kind of engaging. I feel like it's almost a detriment and an added bonus to my listening experience, which makes the songs pretty fascinating. Like, I'm not sure if I enjoy listening to them so much as I enjoy picking the songs apart over multiple listens.
Np. They use distortion so well, like, at times it's so distorted yet so clean at the same time. I think their secret is smart use of liberal compression and saturation, general emphasis of the higher frequencies, and the way they arrange their elements. I remember reading this one post a guy made that gave a bit of insight into their music in that sense.

"At the end of the day, there really aren't a ton of layers right on top of each other in their production in general. Instead, there are a ton of different parts falling in short sequence after each other--usually emphasizing slightly different parts of the frequency spectrum--with only a layer or two overlapping at any given time. And there are lots of very brief pockets of nearly total silence from the beginning of the song to the very end. That helps offset some of the fatigue that would otherwise set in from your having to cope with an ever building wall of sound upon sound."

Last edited:

Helsong

Smash Ace
Np. They use distortion so well, like, at times it's so distorted yet so clean at the same time. I think their secret is smart use of liberal compression and saturation, general emphasis of the higher frequencies, and the way they arrange their elements. I remember reading this one post a guy made that gave a bit of insight into their music in that sense.

"At the end of the day, there really aren't a ton of layers right on top of each other in their production in general. Instead, there are a ton of different parts falling in short sequence after each other--usually emphasizing slightly different parts of the frequency spectrum--with only a layer or two overlapping at any given time. And there are lots of very brief pockets of nearly total silence from the beginning of the song to the very end. That helps offset some of the fatigue that would otherwise set in from your having to cope with an ever building wall of sound upon sound."
A pretty interesting way to say it. I didn't feel the "wall of sound upon sound" vibe from the songs you linked, but again, these songs feel like the kind that reveal more and more as you listen. Although I will say that certain sections definitely do feel like they were almost tiring to listen to, so there's absolutely merit to your quoted statement.

In other news, anyone follow the Dark Souls/Bloodborne community at all? Apparently VaatiVidya(youtuber, makes videos discussing lore, interesting voice that makes him a decent storyteller) is getting called out for plagarism. I stopped following the lore discussions after DkS2's release, but apparently it got serious business, because this guy's getting nearly 6k a month from his patreon to make his vids. What a world.

Last edited:

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
I find it funny that as soon as PM 3.6 came out people suddenly realized they could use their own voice for the game even though you could have done it since before 3.0 (but 3.0 and the sfx code for brawl made it easier.)

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I really love that she's canonically gay b/c it makes all the lines to scout so much funnier
?????????????????????
Didn't... Didn't that one official SFM movie, something about the invasion of monster-bread caused by the teleporter, confirm her as straight?

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
http://www.smosh.com/smosh-pit/phot...cebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=fbsmosh

This reminded me of something I was going to post yesterday. Does anybody else have experience with pathological/habitual liars? In case nobody has realized, there are in fact people who are "addicted" to lying in a sense, in that it's basically the way they socialize is to tell gigantic lies wherein they are victimized or perform some grandiose act, and then never mention it ever again unless you really press them about it. It's like, lying for the sake of lying. Not much really actually bothers me, but being lied to is one of the big things. I imagine most people are the same way. The thing is, I work at a Wal-Mart, and apparently they are okay with just keeping the bottom of the barrel on payroll. Because I've come across 3 pathological liars in my ~14 months i've been working there (total), and that's just in the grocery side of the store. The worst part is, until you catch onto their stupid lies, they seem like some of the friendliest people, and it's really starting to make me even more cynical of people are don't know you being more friendly than I expect. **** I just hate people I think

[insert edgy MechWarriorNY comment about the state of humanity here]

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
http://www.smosh.com/smosh-pit/phot...cebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=fbsmosh

This reminded me of something I was going to post yesterday. Does anybody else have experience with pathological/habitual liars? In case nobody has realized, there are in fact people who are "addicted" to lying in a sense, in that it's basically the way they socialize is to tell gigantic lies wherein they are victimized or perform some grandiose act, and then never mention it ever again unless you really press them about it. It's like, lying for the sake of lying. Not much really actually bothers me, but being lied to is one of the big things. I imagine most people are the same way. The thing is, I work at a Wal-Mart, and apparently they are okay with just keeping the bottom of the barrel on payroll. Because I've come across 3 pathological liars in my ~14 months i've been working there (total), and that's just in the grocery side of the store. The worst part is, until you catch onto their stupid lies, they seem like some of the friendliest people, and it's really starting to make me even more cynical of people are don't know you being more friendly the I expect. **** I just hate people I think

[insert edgy MechWarriorNY comment about the state of humanity here]
Are you asking how to spor it easier?

Top Bottom