• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

MLGF

Smash Lord
Wait?
Bleck is being a condescending prick?

Unheard of

Last edited:

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
rofl just walked in front of a teammates bullets in CSGO, and stole his kill

imagine a nasally white kid screaming, "SLAPS DINNER, DONT ****ING WALK IN FRONT OF MY BULLETS"

Last edited:

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
I just want a nice functional dash dance in smash 4.

And a crouch out of a full run.
OOoooooh you speak dat truth brudda.

Speaking of changes that would be nice in Smash 4, has anyone started cracking and actually MODIFYING this game ala MK8? I'm tempted to see what I can create with this game if I were to build it around 64 hitstun.

Also, my employment hunt is still ongoing due to the status of my applications success being fudged around at costco. And I turn 18 in like 7 days. And I have no considerable funds. And my best Smash friend in this relatively smashless town is doing military work all break. And E3 only has cool games for systems I can't afford (except for paper jam, the new metroid-ish thing, and FE). Summers just been uber fun thus far for me. :/

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
So I spent Smash n Splash shirtless and I've been going to the gym all week, started benching.

@Old Man Grey I hope you're proud of me. I may be a stick now but I'm working on getting strong.
I'm starting to work out too.
Oh and update on that girl I met at Smash n Splash:

I'm meeting up with her at WDW tonight, and then instead of going back with her carpool she's going to come with me, crash at my apartment, and we'll spend Thursday together.

It's looking good.
wowww
what made her into you?

Last edited:

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
omfg beowulf's three wolf moonsault is the dankest thing I've ever seen in like any game ever

like I knew it existed before but oh my god I love using it

beowulf is my favorite character in any fighting game omfg

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt

that combo won me 2nd place at the monthly and got me 15 bucks

gonna buy a 20XXTE memory card

because I'm also this clutch in melee and it needs to be recorded and analyzed for the sake of the game

analysis complete, the results are in

err... I meant, DI in

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486

that combo won me 2nd place at the monthly and got me 15 bucks

gonna buy a 20XXTE memory card

because I'm also this clutch in melee and it needs to be recorded and analyzed for the sake of the game

analysis complete, the results are in

err... I meant, DI in
Why does everyone suddenly suck at diing squirtle

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
Holy crap, Spelunky is actually hard.

I thought it was going to be "hard" (TM), but the thing is legit kicking my ass. Want to beat it without any use of guides whatsoever

Also maybe using the GCC is a mistake? WHO KNOWS

Last edited:

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
Holy crap, Spelunky is actually hard.

I thought it was going to be "hard" (TM), but the thing is legit kicking my ***. Want to beat it without any use of guides whatsoever

Also maybe using the GCC is a mistake? WHO KNOWS
jetpack+shotgun

sacrifice cavemen not damsels

Last edited:

NW_Gump

Smash Apprentice
@ D Daftatt off topic and not creepy at all shut up, do you go to Evergreen or do you just go to the monthlies there? Because I'm starting my first year at Evergreen in the fall and it would be cool to see some people. I know people from the Gameclucks monthlies up in Lynnwood but I don't think any of them go to Evergreen. i'm not weird i swear

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
@Lunchables does dfw stand for "dat feel when"

still uncertain on whether or not i wanna go to paragon or to norcal to see my waifu

Last edited:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
if you don't care much for combos in your fighting game, sure.
And you really shouldn't, because combos aren't the end all/be all in a fighting game.

*points to his avatar.* Super Turbo was never really about THE COMBOS, it was all about the fundamentals and outplaying your opponent.

At least Smash 4's level of hitstun isn't quite as silly as Brawl's.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
if you don't care much for combos in your fighting game, sure.
combos are the antithesis to healthy competition; games that too-heavily feature combos tend to be less about outplaying your opponent and more about pulling off complicated series of inputs that minimize your opponents ability to actually play the game in response (see; marvel)

as such the parts of the game that are actually about competition fall by the wayside - it becomes less of a fighting game and more like... like if two people played rock paper scissors to see who can go first in a contest to get the highest score in DDR

combos are cool and fancy and stuff but they ultimately don't represent any meaningful form of competition, which is why Melee is kind of a joke in the FGC

ociplaC

Smash Cadet
*points to his avatar.* Super Turbo was never really about THE COMBOS, it was all about the fundamentals and outplaying your opponent.
Whereas Ultra Street Fighter 4 is all about garbage characters like shotos, mashing DP, ZERO footsies, and getting 50/50s off of hard knockdowns on laggy online play like a scrub.

...at least according to people like Low Tier God (and DarksydePhil lol)

Last edited:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
combos are cool and fancy and stuff but they ultimately don't represent any meaningful form of competition, which is why Melee is kind of a joke in the FGC
If anything combos in Melee are more competitively interesting since they are dynamic and interactive. Smash is the only game where you have to adapt your combo to the movements of your opponent, being DI, SDI and/or techs.

If we follow this way of thinking we can even say Brawl would be a better competitive game than Melee because the low hitstun gives you more options when getting combo'd.
"Would", because Brawl has no shieldstun and no fighting game mechanic should ever cripple offensive play like Brawl shieldstun did.

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
Smash 4 is the golf of Smash.
Boring as sin to watch and the area it's played in could have been used for better things. /s but not really /s
Also people play it for fun or something? I wouldn't know.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I've listened to the great songs I had planned for future videos so much I can't tell if they're not great anymore or I got tired of them to use for this next video. The flow of the video itself is wonky, so I can't use my straight hype songs as it's not a combo video.

Last edited:

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Smash 4 made me forget how to play pm/melee

At least I can have fun with splatoon
image.jpg

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
I love melee/pm combos. The different levels of interactivity depending on the match up and skill levels means that they're always interesting. Adapting to and escaping combos makes you feel awesome, mixing up your opponent in general is awesome. The only character I dislike in this regard is Falcon.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
bla bla bla check your fallacies mate
-Combos have little to no competitive value as they don't allow interaction between players and just come down to "can the comboing player pull out his chain of inputs without screwing up ?", making the game temporarily one player
-Melee combos require both player to be proactive and reactive to adapt their respective DI and follow ups to each other, giving Melee combos more valuable from a competitive standpoint
-Brawl combos add another layer of options for the defending player during the combo, increasing the requirements in both reactivity and proactivity for players if they want to follow up their combos

I've checked and don't see any, please take some of your very important time to use your far superior intellect point them out to me. Thanks in advance.

Mate.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
he was talking about the slippery slope, it's literally the part of the quote he emphasized

that said, bleck is doing that thing where he avoids actually making his side of the argument and just states other people's arguments so you'll argue/disagree with him and not actually get anywhere

this is why I have him on ignore, I just wish you all would stop talking to him, too, so I would never have to click that button

But I can make couple points as to why having combos (even long ones) that are mostly guaranteed and last a certain amount of time and deal X damage are actually better design-wise (including for competition) than single hits that deal X damage starting from the same scenario and lead to the same situation. I'm not going to actually make those points because as much as I see Bleck suck people into these awful discussions, I'm not interested; at least, not at almost 6am. But a hint: it doesn't have anything to do with inputs being "impressive" or technical skill being inherently "valuable".

Last edited:

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
I had an "argument" with Bleck once. It lasted like two posts and we both conceded that we just had different opinions and that's okay.

Y'all are ****ing babies. He's argumentative but he's not spiteful, so I don't see why there's a cult of hatred around the guy. Quit circlejerking holy ****.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I don't see the circle jerk OR the "cult of hatred" or w/e lol
Basically I just said I don't like the way he argues (it's fairly ignorant of fact usually, and always trying to draw out a response without actually stating a position for counter-criticism), said that's why I have him on ignore
And said that I have an argument against his that I'm not going into detail this early in the morning/late in the night
But I do see you using just one example of a short discussion you had where he acted very out of character

Last edited:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Yeah there's no argument or hatred here, I'm just calling him out on how low effort his post is, I just happen to have the time right now and I'm curious to see if he'll back up his claims.

But I can make couple points as to why having combos (even long ones) that are mostly guaranteed and last a certain amount of time and deal X damage are actually better design-wise (including for competition) than single hits that deal X damage starting from the same scenario and lead to the same situation.[...] But a hint: it doesn't have anything to do with inputs being "impressive" or technical skill being inherently "valuable".
So what you're saying is Dedede's CG in Brawl is good game design ?

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
omfg beowulf's three wolf moonsault is the dankest thing I've ever seen in like any game ever
like I knew it existed before but oh my god I love using it
beowulf is my favorite character in any fighting game omfg

Beo pls
That's my boy. They all look strong so fast.
And don't worry about your current body progress. We all start somewhere. Just be sure to keep at it. Consistency is key!
Yes it is, but one should not go to extremes either.
2014-06-23 - Copy.jpg

good afternoon, thread
so I've been diagnosed with fibromyalgia
I was kinda hoping that my constant pain and inability to focus was because of something I could actually fix, but I guess I'll just deal
...At least that disease ain't terminal.
So what you're saying is Dedede's CG in Brawl is good game design ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom