• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

SunJester

Smash Ace
Cynicism is how I keep myself sane and insulate myself from the despair that is the current condition of the games industry, so that I can continue to pursue my dreams of someday making a game and not having it totally suck.
The games industry does suck. There's no room for Miyamotos left in this world. Just like any popular media (TV, Movies, Music) what's promoted heavily and given huge budgets are safe, predictable, and easy games to make. It's 100% about making a profit, and they're not interested in innovation or artistic direction.

Work on an indie game, learn to code, and how to make art. Pull together a few talented friends and spend all your free time making games, put your own money into it, or seek out private investors. The only way you'll get to do what you want is if you do it yourself. Its the same as any industry, music, movies. Scale back the budget a bit, and be creative with your limitations. Maybe no one will give a ****, but its about pushing yourself to do the best you can, and its better than the hollow soulless life of working your passion for a bottom line.

There's no better time to be indie than now.

Regardless, I don't buy that many games really. It's about finding the ones you love and enjoying them. Even if all these boring shooters come out, there's the potential for something great like The Last Guardian.

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
@ SunJester SunJester http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ItsBeenDone and has been since time began, but people used to pretend they cared about 'originality' or other silly buzzwords like that. So much for subtlety~

So, uh, side note, I'm pretty sure I do a decent job of when I try to
, so I can get away with saying I'm not cynical. ...Is what I WOULD say, were it not for that little matter of me possessing an ardent, bellicose contempt in just about everything I do that I've demonstrated here like some daft redneck countless times already now.
Like in this very post. :^)

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
So I come home today from walking to Chick Fila, and my mom is just sitting on the couch with this weird look on her face

I ask her what's up, and she pulls out my iPad and Steam is open

oooooooo ****
Are you spending too much money on games or are there weird neko neko girl H-scene games on your ipad

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
Tomorrow is the last day of school until summer. I wish I had friends to talk to outside of school, but oh well.
videya games.PNG

Helsong

Smash Ace
The games industry does suck. There's no room for Miyamotos left in this world. Just like any popular media (TV, Movies, Music) what's promoted heavily and given huge budgets are safe, predictable, and easy games to make. It's 100% about making a profit, and they're not interested in innovation or artistic direction.

Work on an indie game, learn to code, and how to make art. Pull together a few talented friends and spend all your free time making games, put your own money into it, or seek out private investors. The only way you'll get to do what you want is if you do it yourself. Its the same as any industry, music, movies. Scale back the budget a bit, and be creative with your limitations. Maybe no one will give a ****, but its about pushing yourself to do the best you can, and its better than the hollow soulless life of working your passion for a bottom line.

There's no better time to be indie than now.

Regardless, I don't buy that many games really. It's about finding the ones you love and enjoying them. Even if all these boring shooters come out, there's the potential for something great like The Last Guardian.
Game dev will likely never be more than a hobby in the end. You can say it's the best time to indie, and you're right-but that doesn't mean it's a good idea in the first place. Besides, I have other interests that call to me just as much as game development, and they also give me more stability and the same level of fulfillment. Game dev just isn't a lucrative enough field for me to take seriously, especially given the way things are going. I don't plan on being a passionate yet peniless artist; that life is in no way appealing to me at all, no matter how much people romanticize it.

Last edited:

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I quit Game Design studies because I realized I was likely gonna end up at EA (because Florida) and I'd prefer not working for the game company equivalent of Satan

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Goddamn you guys are hard to ****ing please

I've only watched like 30minutes of sony's conference and i'm just like "damn there's so much cool **** coming out"

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
I just platinumed Steins;Gate so I went through my screenshots and thought this one was somewhat fitting.

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
Goddamn you guys are hard to ****ing please
yeah seriously like look at all these brooding cynical coolguys

meanwhile I'm gonna spend money on rad looking videogames and be happy

Last edited:

Professor Gravy

I've got a PhD in delicious
The blue eyes and the dark magician right above it in the second pic aren't sell-able and the two left most blue eyes in the third pic look sketchy if you could sell them it would probably for a reduced price. also if there are any marks on the backs of the cards the price will take a hit i haven't played yugioh since my card shop completely dropped traditional and made all of my stupid super searcher decks not work because all of the cards in them were banned >: ( so i don't know about prices for particular cards (im pretty sure jinzo is an ancient relic of the past that no one cares about tho)

Edit: nvm jinzo held up better than i thought he would despite the power creep i guess its just a testament to how broken he was. (hes at like $4 for the one you got if its mint)

Edit 2: my god yugioh is fast as balls nowadays i might have to get back into it

Last edited:

Bazkip

Smash Master
I played Smash today with a guy who complained a ton about Ganon, and then later said Fox is completely fine.
:confused:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I got 9th at our weekly and finally played well during bracket, only like 1 person who placed higher than me I think I can beat, But I'm still so butt hurt about how I did overall idk

I just played like **** on stream lolll my god that was horrifyingly bad. I feel like such a buster >.> I think I just ran out of steam, I really should take a nap before these, waking up at 5 every morning and then going to a tourny at night is a bad idea.

I try not to care about how I do and I don't really want to care, but my god do I hate playing poorly.

Last edited:

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
The blue eyes and the dark magician right above it in the second pic aren't sell-able and the two left most blue eyes in the third pic look sketchy if you could sell them it would probably for a reduced price. also if there are any marks on the backs of the cards the price will take a hit i haven't played yugioh since my card shop completely dropped traditional and made all of my stupid super searcher decks not work because all of the cards in them were banned >: ( so i don't know about prices for particular cards (im pretty sure jinzo is an ancient relic of the past that no one cares about tho)

Edit: nvm jinzo held up better than i thought he would despite the power creep i guess its just a testament to how broken he was. (hes at like $4 for the one you got if its mint)
god ****ing damn it, will seriously no one buy cards with slight nicks in them? that blue eyes is apparently $80 mint, i figured I could at least get half :( I'm fine with accepting a drastically lower price, but unsellable? ****.

I just want to get rid of this ****. Do you know of any sites that would take it all off my hands?

Professor Gravy

god ****ing damn it, will seriously no one buy cards with slight nicks in them? that blue eyes is apparently $80 mint, i figured I could at least get half :( I'm fine with accepting a drastically lower price, but unsellable? ****.

I just want to get rid of this ****. Do you know of any sites that would take it all off my hands?
dont sell it online find a local card shop. it is ungodly amounts of hassle to sell anything other than sealed product online

if its $80 mint you might be able to sell it but not for any where near $80

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Problem with local card shops is that you might find it hard to find someone who wants to buy it.

That really goes for cards with slight imperfections as well. I had gotten a "Tour guide from the underworld" from someone at school when it was still valued at $80 or so and because there was a slight almost unnoticeable (to any non card enthusiast) dent on it; It was valued at less than $15 to practically everyone who was initially interested in it.

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
Anyone happen to know if Dolphin is able to use CUDA? I'm building a new computer, debating graphics cards. @ standardtoaster standardtoaster ?

I'm pretty sure that it runs purely off of the processor - not GPU - but apparently CUDA lets some programs use GPU elements anyways? I'm a total newbie to this stuff.

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
Damn. Thanks anyways. Followup question for anyone qualified, I guess: what price range/specs should I be looking at for processors to run Dolphin netplay at a consistent 60fps?

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Last edited:

Professor Gravy

Damn. Thanks anyways. Followup question for anyone qualified, I guess: what price range/specs should I be looking at for processors to run Dolphin netplay at a consistent 60fps?
most of the FX line from AMD will run netplay at 60 FPS and they are dirt cheap (six core for $99 8 core for $170 last i checked) not sure about intel tho. ive got a 8350 and i have never had problems with any games (cept arma bcs bad optimization)

yea i sit around 73 fps on double lucario and 100-200 on any other match up if i turn off the frame limiter with a bunch of other carp open

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
my current favorite is called toasted nut brulee; it's oolong with cinnamon, coconut and cardamom

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Anyone happen to know if Dolphin is able to use CUDA? I'm building a new computer, debating graphics cards. @ standardtoaster standardtoaster ?

I'm pretty sure that it runs purely off of the processor - not GPU - but apparently CUDA lets some programs use GPU elements anyways? I'm a total newbie to this stuff.
The GPU won't make a big difference for Dolphin, since yeah, it's mostly driven by CPU right now. Just kind of the nature of the beast, unfortunately.

If you're building something at a tight budget, I'd recommend just a G470, which should be sufficient for 1v1 netplay stuff, and an R7 260X for your graphics card.

Mind that the CPU there is super cheap, and dual cores will really only get you so far. The choice is really driven more by your budget than anything else. If you want, I can help you put together a build list according to your budget and what you plan to do with your build. Just PM me.

Top Bottom