• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

DethM

Smash Apprentice
Top 8 (not in order): M2K, Anther, Ripple, Oro, Ally, Tetra, N1nja, and Solharath.

And also maybe Dad Idk.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Miyamoto doesn't really play video games, and it kind of ends up being a double-edged sword. On one hand, he can be slow to pick up on his own mistakes or seeing when other games or companies do things better, and on the other hand, he has a clearer mindset going into making games and isn't too prone to following industry trends. He's more able to see what truly makes the games enjoyable, and still make things fresh even if it still follows the same formula of older games.

I remember Miyazaki saying a similar thing about Japanese animation: the problem with today's anime is most authors are anime fanboys. This makes them get caught up in the tired old tropes and motifs and stops them from doing something truly creative with the medium.
Miyamoto actually hated video games when he started out. The concept of them itself was somewhat annoying to him, and especially the way they were designed. He was making box-art for the games, and the higher-ups liked his work and wanted him on-board to design something fresh out of the arcades they had dumped across the States. AKA, he was essential forced to work on them to save the company, because he was a genius with innovation in general, and didn't care how things were done, so did what he thought was interesting.

Miyazaki (and Ghibli itself) decided to call it quits because of exactly that. Demons, blood, hot girls and ninja swords took all the focus, and all of their latest movies suffered for it. Their last movie, Princess Kaguya, is a movie that I'm pretty sure almost everyone in the world (able to watch movies) isn't even ready to see yet. Touches on such deeply rooted topics everywhere, and never finishes them, leaving it open to interpretation, which can be taken very off-the-mark if the viewer isn't looking at enough layers. We'll be sticking with **** and fights for a bit now.

There's a void opening up in the art world. The general concept of story-telling is still studied in things like terms (Tropes/Formulas/whatever) rather than what an attempt at an expression, and interpretation on the receiving end, can do to the disposition of the mind of both parties. We're far off from understanding what we already know in these kinds of faculties for that reason.

muleet

Smash Apprentice
I don't see why the PMDT would need to focus that much on the singleplayer when the main focus of PM is the multiplayer. Making Subspace playable is all they really needed to do with it.
From what I understand of the PMDT, some people can become members to do something that isn't related to what the other members do, (and therefore not be aware of the development of something too important like a new character) that's why I talked in my post about someone that would do only level design. I don't know anything about modding, but I thought level design was more something about "art" more than it is about code, maybe I'm wrong.
On a second thought, imagining a level is something doable for anyone, so the best way about it would be to improve the level editor, I think. This way, anyone would be able to do their own difficult smash target. (Especially stuff doable only by 4 well-played specific characters.)
(I'm playing PM on dolphin without saves so i never really tried the editor so far, I don't know if the levels can be shared.)

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Why is there always another dad at majors?

I'll punch every dad
You're unoriginal

The thing I'd love most about being rich would be owning an indoor rock wall in my house. My body longs to rock climb

Last edited:

Nixie

Smash Journeyman
i'm upset hipster ganondorf never became a thing

forgot who wanted that, though

DethM

Smash Apprentice
Why is there always another dad at majors?

I'll punch every dad
I thought it was you lmao.

Yo Dad
so I was talking to my friend Wolfie right
but like in the least serious way
and he took it seriously and apparently posted it on FB or something, so I'm gonna keep the joke going.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Nootwo.png

So I tinkered around with Mewtwo's proportions to try and make him closer to the Mewtwo in the main Pokemon games. I like this a lot more, actually. His head doesn't bother me anymore, which was the biggest issue I had. He also has less stumpy legs.

The tail isn't actually that gargantuan with the actual animations in use, this was just a quick T-pose screencap so I could post it here. With the animations, it's pretty close to the original tail.

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord
I just saw Mad Max.

Tbqhwya, I didn't like it. I initially didn't know what it was and just saw it because friends were and they invited me.

It was really really good as an action movie, but I just really dislike action movies I've been realizing. I like my entertainment to be more bound in reality and have substance ya feel.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
@ Saxophoneoftime Saxophoneoftime have you seen the movie 'A Man from Earth'?
It's pretty non-action, but still kind of lacks substance in any sense of plot, and is kind of reality but not really.
I want more movies like that. I heard the movie Sunshine has some pretty decently solid interactions and discussions, but with more of a plot behind it. Haven't seen it, but it's been recommended. The Dhamma Brothers is always a nice one too.

Just picked up The Dark Knight Returns part 2, the animated Batman movie. Saw the first, time to finish it.
Oh and it's worth checking out Ghibli stuff of course, if you haven't, because Ghibli is Ghibli.

Last edited:

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
It was really really good as an action movie, but I just really dislike action movies I've been realizing. I like my entertainment to be more bound in reality and have substance ya feel.
How do you know they didn't nail the feel of a post-apocalyptic wasteland? I mean yeah they had the resources to build all those cars but that is for dramatic effect.

I liked how minimalist the dialogue was while letting the quiet scenes have their own emotional resonance.

Bloggers out there claiming crap like it had unusually deep themes because it featured a well-realized action girl are being silly, but as an action movie goes it was intelligently made.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
*FE: If snip*
FE IF has a blonde Gaston. xD

****ing. Big O. I honestly love this series.
You already know that it's showtime.
yes, but how do i do the being of value thing
pms help i want to friend, i know this is a late reply but its relevant to my interests
Be the one with the (morbid) joke that will lighten the mood when everyone is downhearted. The one with the rousing speech when things seem uncertain. The one with the shoulder to cry on when bottling doubts and troubles up just doesn't cut it. The one who will hear out and also help solve any issues/problems that need airing out. The one who cares unconditionally about those they consider friends!

...And though you may balk at what I just listed in terms of ideals in this context, being those things and more is not as difficult as you might think.

Last edited:

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord
How do you know they didn't nail the feel of a post-apocalyptic wasteland? I mean yeah they had the resources to build all those cars but that is for dramatic effect.

I liked how minimalist the dialogue was while letting the quiet scenes have their own emotional resonance.

Bloggers out there claiming crap like it had unusually deep themes because it featured a well-realized action girl are being silly, but as an action movie goes it was intelligently made.
I've never been to a post-apocalyptic wasteland so I'm not too sure if they accurately created the feeling of it. Like I said as an action film it was rly rly good but I just can't do action films anymore. :/

Last edited:

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Nausicaa has a sweet post-apocalyptic wasteland.
But it's a lil different... no spoilers...

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
is anyone else having trouble signing into steam, **** just hangs on the connecting window

FPSWalrus

Smash Ace
NNID
TehKingOfWalrus
yooo i need to buy etrian oddessy untold 2
time to pre order it as atlus goodies are always good ****

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043

Wow. I'm baffled.

This is why we can't have nice things :4villager:

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I'm playing Sonic Adventure DX and want to like it, but the camera is much worse than Adventure 2.
Just ugggh.
Here's some examples.

I would love to see these stages remixed in the Generations' engine with better camera angles because this ain't acceptable, even for 1999.

Top Bottom