• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Bleck

Smash Master
I don't care about any of that. I want a Metroid game that starts in media res with Samus and Sylux shooting each other down over an unknown planet, and then you spend the rest of the game, as Samus, hunting Sylux down.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
That's not to say that the ones we've seen weren't memorable or well-done. For instance, the SA-X...

Kati

Smash Lord
They wouldnt need to vivisect her, they were able to create an entire vaccine out of scrapings of cells left on the suit/area where she fought MB. I'd say maybe one vial of her blood would be more than enough to start creating metroids with their level of technology if they can do that
Zebes went bye-bye, so cells could only have been recovered from the suit, not Tourian right?

Chozo-metroid-human blood must be able to create some redeeming plot though... if only.

-----

and yeah Noxus is the (kinda boring) purple one.
edit: even if they all are boring, I found him especially so.
----
gadzooks I've been pronouncing Tourian "Tori-en" all these years.

Last edited:

SunJester

Smash Ace
I want a Metroid game where Samus is a silent bad-ass who's deep in enemy territory and fighting for survival. A game that rewards you for exploration and is heavy on atmosphere. I want to be left alone on an alien planet.'

I don't want a story. I don't need character development. I want the atmosphere, I want the gameplay.

I don't need to know who Samus is, all I need to know is my mission. Let me make up my own thoughts on the matter.

I like the GBA games, but none of them hit the nail on the head as well as Super Metroid or Prime. The atmosphere in those games is incredible, its such an experience to play those games, they're so incredibly engrossing and captivating and amazing and holy cow.

No more Other M, please.

Bleck

Smash Master
Sylux (or any other character from Metroid) doesn't need to be boring to be a good antagonist in a video game starring a relatively boring protagonist (that's right, I said it).

I don't want a story. I don't need character development. I want the atmosphere, I want the gameplay.

I don't need to know who Samus is, all I need to know is my mission. Let me make up my own thoughts on the matter.
Amen.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
@ Chesstiger2612 Chesstiger2612 do you exercise regularly? I've found that I can avoid mental exhaustion if I simply make sure to get a good workout on a regular basis. Take the previous advice about breaks and go for a walk or a run, perhaps. It overall has helped me get sharper.
I do exercises from time to time and they help a bit, but sometimes the effect is gone after just an hour or such, in which case I wouldn't consider the time investment worth. Any kind of exercising that is especially good to fight mental exhaustion?

Draco_The

Smash Lord
The only good thing about Other M was that Nightmare was in. The story was forced, the exploration was absent and, overall, it wasn't a Metroid game.

Bleck

Smash Master
the action and platforming segments of Other M are actually mostly really fun, and the game does have a lot of the backtracky "search every nook for upgrades" Metroid feel

it just felt lame and ****ty 'cause of the fifty seven hours of unskippable terrible cutscenes and the awful pixel hunt sections

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
I want a Metroid game where Samus is a silent bad-*** who's deep in enemy territory and fighting for survival. A game that rewards you for exploration and is heavy on atmosphere. I want to be left alone on an alien planet.'

I like the GBA games, but none of them hit the nail on the head as well as Super Metroid or Prime. The atmosphere in those games is incredible, its such an experience to play those games, they're so incredibly engrossing and captivating and amazing and holy cow.

No more Other M, please.
What
10/what

Fusion is way better than Super in atmosphere. No other game really has the horror part down the way it does. It's really simular to halo ODST in that you were once a power suited badass, but now you're a way weaker character/samus and you have to actually account for it

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
But Mech likes everything.
Incorrect, and hilariously so at that. I dislike(/despise) a lot of things. ...It's just that for the stuff that I do like, I do so (more or less...) unconditionally, and I have (next-to-)no shame in regards to showing it. I also didn't pay enough attention to notice it while I was skimming that page, and I like Final Fantasy, so...
Problem solved.

Last edited:

Helsong

Smash Ace
Oh ****, we're still going with Metroid and Other M talk?

So as far as what I'd like out of the next game? I think we need a premise that's rooted in the events post-Fusion, at least. You have to have a reason for Samus to be doing whatever she's doing, and at least give us some closure as to what's going on. However. If we're going to have a full story, the most I'd be able to take is Fusion, where she's talking in very short monologues at only a few points in the game. Or just go Prime and do the narrative through environment and world-building, that tends to works very well. As for what the premise itself is..I don't really have an idea that could work well and people here have mentioned a few already.
But if you're going to have Samus talk for any length of time, just..have her VA emote, please?

But really, I just want to know what explanation they're gonna have for Ridley being back again.

@ Chesstiger2612 Chesstiger2612 it's not necessarily specific exercises, but rather being in good physical shape and have a good routine that you can go through. You'll hardly feel the effects in a tangible manner right then, but it does tend to stave off mental exhaustion if your body is also in shape.

Last edited:

Draco_The

Smash Lord
the action and platforming segments of Other M are actually mostly really fun, and the game does have a lot of the backtracky "search every nook for upgrades" Metroid feel

it just felt lame and ****ty 'cause of the fifty seven hours of unskippable terrible cutscenes and the awful pixel hunt sections
I enjoyed some parts like the last boss fight (the Super Metroid boss, not the MB boss fight), and although the battle wasn't that cool, I wasn't expecting Nightmare in the game at all so it was a neat surprise, but overall I didn't like the gameplay that much. It was a nice experiment, but it ended up being too simple. The main part of the gameplay was just a casualized hack n slash, except with shooting, and the first person perspective was only used in those pixel hunt sections you're talking about and as a QTE for boss battles. It also didn't offer the freedom of the previous Metroid games. I didn't play it in hard mode though so maybe it got funnier there. After getting all powerups and finishing the game I didn't feel like playing it again.

In regards to item hunting, having the location of the powerups appearing after clearing a room killed that for me. Marking in the map what rooms have an item should me more than enough.

I don't understand people who try to defend Samus characterization in the game though, especially when she found Ridley. It's not only that she fought Ridley already 4 times (Metroid/Zero Mission, Prime 1, Prime 3 and Super Metroid) by the time she found him again. That should be enough to see how ridiculous that scene was. But she actually went after him at the start of Metroid Prime, which was the main reason she ended up in Tallon and then had to fight the Metroid Prime. Heck, she also fought some other fearsome creators like Dark Samus/Metroid Prime.

I really hope they don't use that characterization ever again. I rather see serious Samus than something that doesn't make any sense and couldn't be more out of place.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I don't understand people who try to defend Samus characterization in the game though, especially when she found Ridley. It's not only that she fought Ridley already 4 times (Metroid/Zero Mission, Prime 1, Prime 3 and Super Metroid) by the time she found him again. That should be enough to see how ridiculous that scene was. But she actually went after him at the start of Metroid Prime, which was the main reason she ended up in Tallon and then had to fight the Metroid Prime. Heck, she also fought some other fearsome creators like Dark Samus/Metroid Prime.

I really hope they don't use that characterization ever again. I rather see serious Samus than something that doesn't make any sense and couldn't be more out of place.
Now I don't know much about Metroid in general. But doesn't Other M taking heavy inspiration from the manga for character development? And in the manga isn't she known for actually having PTSD?

Helsong

Smash Ace
Now I don't know much about Metroid in general. But doesn't Other M taking heavy inspiration from the manga for character development? And in the manga isn't she known for actually having PTSD?
The manga takes place before the events of the main Metroid game timeline, iirc. And unfortunately, since Samus has shown no signs of PTSD in the games themselves, there's not a huge precedent for this sort of reaction by the time Other M rolls around.

Personally, I think Samus reacting badly to Ridley's reappearance is a totally ok idea and might be worth exploring, but the way it was handled in the game itself was honestly just not well done. That was my personal issue with it, not that it happened, but the way that it happened. And again, it goes against established game canon, which is an issue, unless the devs are outright retconning her characterization from here on out.

Last edited:

Motobug

Project M/+ community leader
I have a 3 1/2 hour long AP World History test today.

xc

Then afterwards I'm gonna shleep for like a million hours.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
The manga takes place before the events of the main Metroid game timeline, iirc. And unfortunately, since Samus has shown no signs of PTSD in the games themselves, there's not a huge precedent for this sort of reaction by the time Other M rolls around.
She doesn't really show much of any emotion in the games though, right?

Again, I don't know much about Metroid in general in terms of lore or anything but isn't she a blank slate character in the games basically? A blank-slate where players have imposed their own personal perception of her character onto her? And thus why they were disappointed with her characterization in Other M?

muleet

Smash Apprentice
It might be a stupid question and it probably already was asked by some other players before me, but what if the PMDT had a member in their team that does only level design for a new mode like the SSE, with a new and fun level design (if it is only possible for a smash game to have a good level design as a platformer, while being longer than a target smash). Would that be technically possible and would that be cool ?
What made bad the SSE was that each level were adapted to several character at anytime, maybe a good level design would be to use 4 specific characters to do something specific, like in The Lost Vikings.
For example : You have to cross a big gap with Captain Falcon, and for that you have Link, Zelda and Yoshi (who have good projectiles) to fire at him and make him stay in the air.
(I'm not sure it is a good example. :p But something like that.)

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
I don't see why the PMDT would need to focus that much on the singleplayer when the main focus of PM is the multiplayer. Making Subspace playable is all they really needed to do with it.

Helsong

Smash Ace
She doesn't really show much of any emotion in the games though, right?

Again, I don't know much about Metroid in general in terms of lore or anything but isn't she a blank slate character in the games basically? A blank-slate where players have imposed their own personal perception of her character onto her? And thus why they were disappointed with her characterization in Other M?
A lot of the disappointment with her characterization absolutely stemmed from that, yes. Thing is, we did have a game where she showed emotion: Fusion. And she showed herself as being a fairly confident person who didn't exactly shirk from deadly situations, but was also rather thoughtful. Other M takes place before Fusion, so it's likely that the development happened in between, hence why she feels like a different person..

Honestly, the Ridley scene aside, her characterization in the rest of the game felt..juvenile, almost? She seemed to be constantly seeking Adam's approval, even to the point where she won't use suit abilities without his say-so. Now, that's ok at first, but when you're forced to go through a high-heat area that saps your health and you don't get the use of your Varia Suit, that's when the game crossed the line for me. Samus might be folloing orders, but she's not dumb. Her intro monologue in Super is evidence for that. In other words, Other M goes against what little characterization she had in the first place.

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
Isai could win a national in any smash game he played

but he doesn't play smash for the gameplay or the exhilaration of winning he plays it for the good feelings

like how hanako plays chess

(I'm probably totally wrong but I like to think that isai is hanako)

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Isai could win a national in any smash game he played

but he doesn't play smash for the gameplay or the exhilaration of winning he plays it for the good feelings

like how hanako plays chess

(I'm probably totally wrong but I like to think that isai is hanako)
Pls no reminderino of hanako

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I'm with @ Helsong Helsong . If they decide to characterize Samus Aran in future works, I hope to God they omit the malarkey present in Other M, and also that they don't repeat it. That was just seriously piss poor writing.

Beyond that, @ SunJester SunJester has the right idea, and I hope the next game is a return to form.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:
Top Bottom