• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Make sure to try the controller reset trick (X, Y, and Start) for c-stick problems before you give up hope.

Otherwise, scope out some new controllers, the White ones work real nice, they just get mixed up easily at tourneys if you don't have your's marked

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Make sure to try the controller reset trick (X, Y, and Start) for c-stick problems before you give up hope.

Otherwise, scope out some new controllers, the White ones work real nice, they just get mixed up easily at tourneys if you don't have your's marked
I literally just looked up this controller reset trick.

MAYBE THERE IS HOPE.
IS DA HYPE REAL?

I'll find out tomorrow because it's late, I just wanted to cry on smashboards about my controllers lost lives.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Welp, it's all over for me guys.

All 5 of my controllers have finally reached a nearby fast food restaurant

Buy a Tri-wing, and open'em all up and start Alcoholing them down with Q tips and stuff. Also while doing it try rotating the sticks rapidly or something.

The C-stick weirdies sometimes work fine for Dolphin Melee play via the Callibration feature of any standard Maya or whatever USB converter.

The controller apocalypse DEMANDS we change our ways and do what we can: this involves REMOVING or CHANGING the feature of Breaking out of Grabs/Shield break animations and the like that are primarily reliant on Control stick molestation.

I think Rat in this instance was slightly DI'ing for the thing, but otherwise you would normally go 3x more crazy with the control stick than he was to get out of a standing grab; the other buttons barely matter in comparison with each diagonal counting as an input. The camera and lighting don't do a justice to me and Rat's supermodel faces.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KKNVRp7ibg

TreK

Is "that guy"
So, no Roy/Mewtwo poster for me ?

@L-cancel : it's one of the many reasons why I don't enjoy playing Melee, for the reasons stated above by other, much smarter than me people. I hate things that are 'just button presses' : double tap dashes in traditionnal fighters, in the era of analogic controls, are blasphemy to me (I really get the feeling that these games are designed for a pad that 2% of their player base possesses)
I would just like to point out that what they did to it in P:M negated half of my complaints. I mean, we have other things that are 'just button presses' : teching, to give the most obvious example. The difference being, teching gives you visual feedback that it happened, so that you can actually get hyped about a tech. And I mean, I don't think there is a single person who's played Smash even casually and hasn't seen a tech, so even if they don't know the name or whatever, everybody knows that the mechanic is there. It isn't the case with L-canceling, which more often than not comes off as a 'bad surprise'.
Welp, they added visual feedback to P:M's L-cancel, so the problem is now a half problem. I'd still rather have it gone or altered so that there is depth to it obviously, but it's not stopping me from getting the gut feeling that the game was designed by overly drunk people whenever I play.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Bad surprise? It was the one thing that made me realize this game is more mind blowing than I ever thought, I kinda was lessed surprised when I was in Gym class talkin to my friend in Middle school tellin me Luigi could air dodge diagonal and slide and the black hole glitch: both I was like eh yeah that's cool, but I think it was on the Smash Wiki with the .gifs of L-canceling that made me aware that the designers wanted this game to be secretly amazing and competitive that I had in my heart for it to be but was now fully aware it was destiny.

TreK

Is "that guy"
The way I see it, P:M's L-cancel gives off the message you got out of Melee's L-cancel.

Except this time, you aren't mistaken.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
What? Your crazy French Brawl ideals are completely misguided. The designers were drunk when they wanted tripping, not when they added in cancel mechanics.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Someone will probably make a add-on in the custom content sub-forum that makes all end-lag the exact same as if you did a L-Cancel.

TreK

Is "that guy"
What? Your crazy French Brawl ideals are completely misguided. The designers were drunk when they wanted tripping, not when they added in a cancel mechanics.
Your ideas of competitivity are misguided, too.

If they wanted to make the game competitive, why would they 'hide' the good stuff ?
This reduces the amount of people who are aware of the game's competitivity, and thus, the amount of people to compete against. By hiding the good stuff, they aren't helping Smash becoming a competitive game, they are helping it become an underground competitive game. Which isn't nearly as sexy to me.

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
Again, I just find it silly you need to have it there; what's even the point of having land lag when you can just cancel half of it...

TreK

Is "that guy"
#mellelluminati
Bad troll, you've been the only one talking about a secret plan to make smash competitive this far.
Look at what happened, how Smash became an underground competitive scene and only now is starting to get recognized, and you'll understand why I said that you were mistaken. Melee is a lucky accident, but it's just that : an accident. There's a reason why we don't have League of Slow Moving, Overpriced, Hardly Balanced, Two Button Legends' millions of followers even though Melee is apparently the 'best competitive game of all times'. Smash was never intended to be a competitive game, and you were sadly mistaken, that's all I'm saying. It's not even an insult or anything, I've been there too.
And there's a reason we're all here. No matter how unintended it was, Smash turned out to be a great vessel for competitive gaming. The PMBR is only doing what Nintendo should have done, embracing it and actually designing the game for competition from the ground up.

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
@SpiderMad
Erm, so you mean that a picture of stars in a triangle shape and shields with staticy effects are some form of sign of this game being competitive?
Not sure I'm following you on this one.

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
Also, any game you have to modify the options so much to make it competitive probably wasn't designed to be competitive.

TreK

Is "that guy"
^ it's a meme in the smash community, which, ironically, was meant to mock the claims that Smash was designed as a competitive game and how ridiculous they are.

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
^ it's a meme in the smash community, which, ironically, was meant to mock the claims that Smash was designed as a competitive game and how ridiculous they are.
Ah.
I don't see what that has to do with competitiveness though.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Well we often say that Smash has a lot of 'hidden depth', so much so that it may sometimes feel like the game was designed so that it could become competitive. Spoiler alert, this isn't true. We've had... let's say a bunch of evidence of it not being true, from interviews where Sakurai stated he didn't think people would bother using wavedashes in their matches, to Nintendo actively trying to shut our events down. But people still claim this kind of stuff, from time to time, and that's why the meme was created. They took the most coincidental of coincidences, like a tree texture that looks like a face, or patterns on the shield, and claimed the boldest of claims, the one that goes like "nintendo are illuminati, the competitive scene is the result of their evil schemes and we're only helping them conquer the world". Classical internet jokes :V

Dyl9

Smash Cadet

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Someone made a reddit post about it here (http://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/1p52id/code_to_make_l_cancel_automatic/). A commenter left a download for the full set version of the RSBE01.gct with automatic L canceling code added.
Download link - http://www.mediafire.com/download/csh1b4z4745457x/RSBE01.gct
It'd be nice if it was a mechanic that players could specifically turn on and off for themselves individually. Kind of like how some fighters have "Manual" or "Automatic" modes for controls or something. It'd basically toggle on similar to how handicap and Buffer always did, except the only options would be "On" and "Off" during the actual character selection instead of tons of numbers. That way those who want it Manual can have it that way and those who want it Automatic can have it that way. It could replace Score Display to go right above Input Assist.

I'm sure something like this has either been thought of before or is just outright impossible anyway, though. Just a wishful thought.

I am enjoying this Auto L-Cancel build, though. Seems like it'd be a good thing to start my friends off with so they don't always get their asses kicked due to ignoring me when I try to teach them to press one extra button. lol

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
It'd be nice if it was a mechanic that players could specifically turn on and off for themselves individually. Kind of like how some fighters have "Manual" or "Automatic" modes for controls or something. It'd basically toggle on similar to how handicap and Buffer always did, except the only options would be "On" and "Off" during the actual character selection instead of tons of numbers. That way those who want it Manual can have it that way and those who want it Automatic can have it that way. It could replace Score Display to go right above Input Assist.

I'm sure something like this has either been thought of before or is just outright impossible anyway, though. Just a wishful thought.

I am enjoying this Auto L-Cancel build, though. Seems like it'd be a good thing to start my friends off with so they don't always get their ***** kicked due to ignoring me when I try to teach them to press one extra button. lol
The problem with having the option to turn L-canceling on or off is that one is strictly worse than the other.

Also, this is the first post I've seen from you that doesn't have "¦D"

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
The problem with having the option to turn L-canceling on or off is that one is strictly worse than the other.

Also, this is the first post I've seen from you that doesn't have "¦D"
I'm just gonna let you have that one and assume you've either never seen me post anywhere aside from this thread or have never seen any of my more serious posts. ¦D

Speaking of which, I'm not seeing the issue in all honesty. Those of us who can pull off Manual L-Canceling can pretty much do it to the point of muscle memory and instinct. I don't see there being a large performance gap between those who would use Manual and those who would use Auto. On the other hand, I do get what you're saying. One that's only sure to work if you do it right every time versus one that is sure to work every time on it's own. One of these definitely sounds significantly more useful than the other. Still, I stand by my initial thought. The whole idea I had was nothing more than wishful thinking to begin with. Helping newbies aside, it'd honestly be nice to not have to worry about pressing one extra button every time I want to land on the ground safely.

I was just going for a "best of both worlds" approach so everyone is happy and no one has any legitimate reason to argue. I'm sure they'd try to find one anyway, considering we're only human, but you get the idea.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
I'm just gonna let you have that one and assume you've either never seen me post anywhere aside from this thread or have never seen any of my more serious posts. ¦D

Speaking of which, I'm not seeing the issue in all honesty. Those of us who can pull off Manual L-Canceling can pretty much do it to the point of muscle memory and instinct. I don't see there being a large performance gap between those who would use Manual and those who would use Auto. On the other hand, I do get what you're saying. One that's only sure to work if you do it right every time versus one that is sure to work every time on it's own. One of these definitely sounds significantly more useful than the other. Still, I stand by my initial thought. The whole idea I had was nothing more than wishful thinking to begin with. Helping newbies aside, it'd honestly be nice to not have to worry about pressing one extra button every time I want to land on the ground safely.

I was just going for a "best of both worlds" approach so everyone is happy and no one has any legitimate reason to argue. I'm sure they'd try to find one anyway, considering we're only human, but you get the idea.
Well the PMBR tried a best of both worlds approach to Samus`s beam mechanic yet just look at the beam mechanic thread. lol, jk, ¦D.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Well the PMBR tried a best of both worlds approach to Samus`s beam mechanic yet just look at the beam mechanic thread. lol, jk, ¦D.
I'm not sure if this is a complete joke...or if there is actually a "Beam Mechanic Thread". XD;

I mean...seriously? Since when did that cause that much of an uproar? ¦D;

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
http://smashboards.com/threads/multiple-beams.342670/ just keep reading after ph00tbag says the mechanic is degrading, it goes on for the whole 5 pages.
Huh. Well that certainly happened. -.o

Like I said, legitimate or not, there will always be those who will find a reason to fight or argue. We can always just let them stew in their own steamed pot of buttmaditude, though. ¦ )

Jokes aside, I've said my piece. I hope that guy does another Auto L-Cancel GCT for 3.0.

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
Although i will admit l-canceling is not a good mechanic from a design standpoint, it does have depth to it, especially when it comes to hitting shields and knowing when to cancel, it also adds depth to the shield game, just look at mango for a good example of a layer who knows how to mess someone up bc they did not l-cancel on the shield correctly.

Seeing as how PM in its current build has janky Luigi-like shields, l-cancel could be considered an artificial technical aspect of the game, but in melee its alot different, not to mention at what height off the ground you choose to cancel, which means you have to be aware, plus hitting shields without proper l-cancel will get you grabbed and/or hit

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
Just a new animation?
Good. Really want to WD into a FSmash with Olimar.
Sounds kind of OP range, actually.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Does anyone know how to lower the size of an image in Brawl Box that started as a CMPR? I've been trying to get all my menu icons and pictures to match and managed successfully, but whenever I try to change the Pictochat MenStageSwitch image, my game ends up freezing as a result. I've managed to rule out the Common5.pac being too big, because it's smaller than it was when I started, so it seems to be a problem with that stage specifically or at least the MenuRule_en in sc_Selcharacter2_en being too big as a result.

This stuff be frustratin', yo.

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
God, the fountain of dreams looks just like melee if not better! I just hope they release a blogpost about the engine fixes :(
But there's still no reflections or splashes... :(
Are those damage icons for real? I like the old ones more.

Top Bottom