• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363

Also new anime basketball video out
Did Awakening really require much grinding on the normal difficulty? I know the hard difficulties were pretty broken that way, but I don't remember that being the case on regular difficulty. Maybe I just enjoyed the extra missions and didn't notice.
Not much to be honest especially when you factor in the kids and pair up but it helps a little for the last few chapters.

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
Seeing how the game's difficulty revolved around enemy stats and not by unique objectives or level design like older FE's, Awakening by design is a grind and stat heavy game, like all the older FE's do map and level design better (Tellius' BEXP further enforces this, as does Thracia's 20 stat cap and ball crushing difficulty)

Last edited:

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Did Awakening really require much grinding on the normal difficulty? I know the hard difficulties were pretty broken that way, but I don't remember that being the case on regular difficulty. Maybe I just enjoyed the extra missions and didn't notice.
Not sure about normal difficulty, I've always played it on hard. Hard definitely seems like a good amount of grinding is necessary after the first half of the game, and there are a couple other points where the enemies difficulty spikes up rather suddenly. Overall it seems like the game didn't really do its difficulty level very well, where normal is rather easy for a FE game and hard requires grinding to get through things.

Leafeon

Verdant Pokémon
Ike was hella busted, though, lol, even without Ragnell.

@ Eliwood hate; ehh, I did pretty well with Eliwood. He felt like a standard lord unit to me as far as overall power, and I didn't have any trouble running through the game with him as one of my few focused units. Roy, on the other hand, was pretty miserable. Shoutouts to having the same life as your archers.

Overall I really like Awakening and the skills and stuff, but I do dislike how the game innately requires grinding. One of the nice things about the old style FEs is that its a very streamlined game, and you sort of have to make do with what you currently have for each mission. Makes each mission have a sense of importance. (Arenas ofc added in a little grinding, but it was so minuscule in comparison to the side quest grinds and random risen battles in Awakening.)
As far as Awakening went, there was no real reason to not grind-- not that it was needed in normal mode or anything, but because it doesn't hurt your endgame turncounts and etc that I care about for no reason whatsoever, other than getting all those Gaiden chapters done. Arenas do hurt turncount, and the only successful arenas are ones with vendors that sell heal/mend staves on the same chapter, and don't have a gaiden chapter by turns right after.

It felt like most of the strategy (whether it be turtling, or trying to really get through so that thief doesn't take the elysian whip in the treasure chest in the far corner) was lost in awakening because of the grinding, no matter what mode you played on. The only decent chapters were lunatic mode's first 4 chapters-- lunatic+ is plain annoying though lol.
They didn't feature very many skills and the strategy for winning was definitely there, albeit most of it was trial-and-error-reset-when-Fred-dies.
After pairing up in normal mode, you can send one pair of units into the middle of a ton of enemy units and watch them slaughter, or nearly slaughter all of them without grinding at all. Hard mode is somewhat similar with maybe one or two less enemies, unless you grind.

If I were to design an FE game, it would probably be without the skills (other than thief lockpicks) and pair-ups instead of rescues. Rescues were a better design choice than pair-ups in my honest opinion because there was no... drawbacks to it other than making two units one (where one unit is overpowered and can take on armies by itself.) I like supports, I don't like pairups in comparison to rescues for strategic purposes. Any arena/grindability would contribute to a turn count and all arenas would only be placed on chapters where a gaiden based on turn count would follow after-- it was your choice whether to grind there or take the gaiden chapter, (and the experience from the enemies in the gaiden too, I might add) but also never make enemies unreasonably hard so that you can't win without the grinding. But I'll definitely set chapters up against powerlevelling one unit from the beginning, hehehe...
I liked awakening, but it honestly could have been better without some of its new mechanics lol, the streamlined games work way better for strategy purposes than the ability to grind.

I would also make any character you get at level 1-4 at the beginning of the game, or maybe even later, stronger than any of the units you could get that come as tier 2 level 1-3s or tier 1 level 14-20s at recruit. (In other words high stat growths, some maybe even 100%s so that you never get an empty level up, or maybe un-RNG level ups so that you get the same ones everytime you level them up and each unit has set maximum stats for themselves based on what level you get them and their stats at recruitment...)

tl;dr awakening was good, but I like things better streamlined for strategy, and rescues are better for strategy than pairups imo

Edit: Oh also nice to see you here Seth, don't see many pro players being social with us other than SB and Hylian.

Last edited:

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Can anybody give me some Squirtle tips,like his unique techs?I've asked twice on the Squirtle social but they sort of just give me a joke and then ignore me(or just do the latter.)

Last edited:

~Dad~

part time gay dad
Can anybody give me some Squirtle tips,like his unique techs?I've asked twice on the Squirtle social but they sort of just give me a joke and then ignore me(or just do the latter.)
Jay PM me I'll hook you up nerd.

Edit: Im pretty sure that stuff is all on the squirtman boards though, just not in the garbage social thread that shouldn't exist.

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
My FE experience is limited to 10 minutes of gameplay. Never tried it again since.

..but I like Roy in PM, does that count?
and Marth in smash 4, but that's a different story

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
That's because every Squirtman must go through the trial of learning things on his own. Cant be a Squirtman if you aint a self taught Squirtman

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Ike was hella busted, though, lol, even without Ragnell.

@ Eliwood hate; ehh, I did pretty well with Eliwood. He felt like a standard lord unit to me as far as overall power, and I didn't have any trouble running through the game with him as one of my few focused units. Roy, on the other hand, was pretty miserable. Shoutouts to having the same life as your archers.
Ike was only busted after he got Aether. Before that, he was just a standard unit who benefited from the game feeding him solo stages for leveling up. Level 20 Ranger Ike before Chapter 10 makes him look broken, when anyone would have been at that point.

Eliwood was okay for most of the game. It's just a shame that between FE6 and FE7, Durandal put on a bunch of weight which led to Eliwood being practically worthless for endgame, not quite as useless as Lyn, but pretty bad. Where as Roy was amazing in endgame because of the Sword of Seals and terrible for everything else that his rapiers didn't let him destroy.

Leafeon

Verdant Pokémon
Ike was only busted after he got Aether. Before that, he was just a standard unit who benefited from the game feeding him solo stages for leveling up. Level 20 Ranger Ike before Chapter 10 makes him look broken, when anyone would have been at that point.

Eliwood was okay for most of the game. It's just a shame that between FE6 and FE7, Durandal put on a bunch of weight which led to Eliwood being practically worthless for endgame, not quite as useless as Lyn, but pretty bad. Where as Roy was amazing in endgame because of the Sword of Seals and terrible for everything else that his rapiers didn't let him destroy.
Did you just call Lyn useless
who are you
I bet you let her get an S in swords instead of bows
Being able to wield both the Sol Katti and Rienfleche is pretty amazing.

Mani Katti is one of the best rapier-types in the series iirc
her high skill is what carries her basically
you must have bad rng

But for real, Mani Katti beats knights and mounted, bows beat winged, the only thing she can lose to is infantry units
but if she is, you're still doing something wrong.

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363

Ike is also good with the Wrath/Adept combo as well. Folks tend to forget that. And Roy in FE6 made me cry until he got the sword of seals I have to give him Steel Swords, Iron Swords, Light Brands and Wrymslayers until he got the dang weapon.

Vashimus

Smash Master
How you did at TSB if you even entered at all also what was the salt about with Lordknight getting 3rd?
Because we didn't want Millia to win. lol People were mad hype both times Chaz beat him.

I went 0-2 as I lost to Marlinpie and then a Chipp player. Played a ton of friendlies afterward, including with A3Religion and Mahouko.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Ike doesn't have a horse in FE9 and isn't Haar in FE10, he's far from the BEST or broken in either of his games (although FE10 is pretty close I guess)

And lyn is pretty bad, HHM taught me that. She dies in like, 2 hits and everyone has a lance. Eliwood isn't so much better, but he's better then Lyn... and Roy. But a lot of things are better then Roy, like even Melee Roy makes Fire Emblem Roy look bad.

TL:DR, Sigurd's good.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Did you just call Lyn useless
who are you
I bet you let her get an S in swords instead of bows
Being able to wield both the Sol Katti and Rienfleche is pretty amazing.

Mani Katti is one of the best rapier-types in the series iirc
her high skill is what carries her basically
you must have bad rng

But for real, Mani Katti beats knights and mounted, bows beat winged, the only thing she can lose to is infantry units
but if she is, you're still doing something wrong.
I stated at endgame, and she is pretty useless compared to other troops at endgame. Early on and through the middle, she's okay. Near the end though, she's hard pressed to be all that good compared to the better classes you probably have by then. Why would you want to waste a great bow on Lyn when there's a perfectly amazing Sniper you could give it to?

Ike is also good with the Wrath/Adept combo as well. Folks tend to forget that. And Roy in FE6 made me cry until he got the sword of seals I have to give him Steel Swords, Iron Swords, Light Brands and Wrymslayers until he got the dang weapon.
Ike overall is just a really good Lord. He's the only Lord in all of FE who I didn't ever have to babysit and protect or else lose the game. He can be skilled in many useful ways, though nothing quite tops the power that Aether potentially gives him.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
As far as Awakening went, there was no real reason to not grind-- not that it was needed in normal mode or anything, but because it doesn't hurt your endgame turncounts and etc that I care about for no reason whatsoever, other than getting all those Gaiden chapters done. Arenas do hurt turncount, and the only successful arenas are ones with vendors that sell heal/mend staves on the same chapter, and don't have a gaiden chapter by turns right after.

It felt like most of the strategy (whether it be turtling, or trying to really get through so that thief doesn't take the elysian whip in the treasure chest in the far corner) was lost in awakening because of the grinding, no matter what mode you played on. The only decent chapters were lunatic mode's first 4 chapters-- lunatic+ is plain annoying though lol.
They didn't feature very many skills and the strategy for winning was definitely there, albeit most of it was trial-and-error-reset-when-Fred-dies.
After pairing up in normal mode, you can send one pair of units into the middle of a ton of enemy units and watch them slaughter, or nearly slaughter all of them without grinding at all. Hard mode is somewhat similar with maybe one or two less enemies, unless you grind.

If I were to design an FE game, it would probably be without the skills (other than thief lockpicks) and pair-ups instead of rescues. Rescues were a better design choice than pair-ups in my honest opinion because there was no... drawbacks to it other than making two units one (where one unit is overpowered and can take on armies by itself.) I like supports, I don't like pairups in comparison to rescues for strategic purposes. Any arena/grindability would contribute to a turn count and all arenas would only be placed on chapters where a gaiden based on turn count would follow after-- it was your choice whether to grind there or take the gaiden chapter, (and the experience from the enemies in the gaiden too, I might add) but also never make enemies unreasonably hard so that you can't win without the grinding. But I'll definitely set chapters up against powerlevelling one unit from the beginning, hehehe...
I liked awakening, but it honestly could have been better without some of its new mechanics lol, the streamlined games work way better for strategy purposes than the ability to grind.

I would also make any character you get at level 1-4 at the beginning of the game, or maybe even later, stronger than any of the units you could get that come as tier 2 level 1-3s or tier 1 level 14-20s at recruit. (In other words high stat growths, some maybe even 100%s so that you never get an empty level up, or maybe un-RNG level ups so that you get the same ones everytime you level them up and each unit has set maximum stats for themselves based on what level you get them and their stats at recruitment...)

tl;dr awakening was good, but I like things better streamlined for strategy, and rescues are better for strategy than pairups imo

Edit: Oh also nice to see you here Seth, don't see many pro players being social with us other than SB and Hylian.
Part of this post was funny and untrue.

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Ike doesn't have a horse in FE9 and isn't Haar in FE10, he's far from the BEST or broken in either of his games (although FE10 is pretty close I guess)

And lyn is pretty bad, HHM taught me that. She dies in like, 2 hits and everyone has a lance. Eliwood isn't so much better, but he's better then Lyn... and Roy. But a lot of things are better then Roy, like even Melee Roy makes Fire Emblem Roy look bad.

TL:DR, Sigurd's good.
Haar is in FE 9 and FE 10. FE9 he is a good unit cause he comes with a brave axe and is around lvl 14 I believe with good stats that arn't speed so he's more tankish but comes pretty late. FE10 Haar IDK much about outside he's really good and you get him earlish due to his growths.

Because we didn't want Millia to win. lol People were mad hype both times Chaz beat him.

I went 0-2 as I lost to Marlinpie and then a Chipp player. Played a ton of friendlies afterward, including with A3Religion and Mahouko.
Damn I see then. I was on twitter and see all of the post about it after I came from a small smash gathering with some XRD on the side so I was curious if it was old man salt or what.

Last edited:

Leafeon

Verdant Pokémon
Part of this post was funny and untrue.
Exaggerations are real.

Also protip: Break their weapons with Robin's face. There's no gaiden chapter requirements by turncount and anything you can get in the chests inside the game can usually be obtained through DLC anyways.
And shops are always available to you.

Last edited:

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
The guy in charge of the Smash Loft in Montreal is hosting a Melee tourney for New Year's
Strongly debating breaking my hiatus vow to go spend the New Year playing Smash
I'm a sad, sad person.

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
I'm almost halfway through rereading MegaTokyo, and what happens? The site goes down! BabyRage

Also the store is down so I can't check out my purchases. BibleThump

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
Congratulations! /announcer voice

I finally got my copy of Radiant Dawn back again, can't wait to revel in how beast Ike is here again. Also why isn't Shove more of a thing in FE in general? It's such an interesting tactic.

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
IDK but there is alot of mechanics, items and tactics that they don't bring back and/or keep it to an region of FE games like the shove feature in the Tellius games for example and dismounting on your horse in FE4 then there's certain classes that are only in certain games like the summoner class in FE8 :( .

Leafeon

Verdant Pokémon
Shove was interesting
I just disliked having to have it take up skill capacity.
I still prefer rescue
but shove had its uses, like giving any one of your units +1 movement by sacrificing another's turn.

I like shove. Not as a skill, but more of an innate ability that all infantry should have based on their con and the other character's con they're trying to shove.

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
Is there like a best Fire Emblem based off general consensus, or is it one of those things the fanbase have different opinions on?

MLGF

Smash Lord
The Golden Question. I think it's often between the GBA one and Path of Radiance as the overall best.
Personally, I think all the GBA games are meh and generally the console games are all really good however.

In terms of storytelling it generally goes to the fourth game, and in just being the best challenge (in that it's design and not stat) people will say Thracia.

And then the scrubs say Awakening

Last edited:
Top Bottom