• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Vashimus

Smash Master
100th post!

How is ORAS, though? I've kind of considered getting it, but I haven't picked up that many of the games recently. I got Y, but never Soul Silver/Heart Gold or B/W. X/Y was kind of underwhelming for me.
Good game, but not gonna change your mind if you didn't like the region already. I gave my full thoughts a few pages back.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I'm already pretty mixed on picking it up since I never got into RSE to begin with and heard a lot of ups and downs on that generation in general. Loved the hell out of FR/LG and I can't really tell why, but having a bunch of "meh" battle themes is probably the main thing that would push me away from ORAS: they suck.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
>mfw eople who seriously have that mindset are allowed to exist
From my semi-local scene I've also gotten

>There should never be nerfs. Buffing all the characters up is the only way to achieve balance.
>Fox is mid tier because he hasn't been winning all the tournaments. You don't understand the recent metagame and are just a noob.
Me: What do you guys think about Melee's PAL Changes?
>PAL Changes are arbitrary nerfs created out of hatred for spacies. (Seriously, what?)
>If it's not completely broken, then don't nerf it (This was both before and after I brought up that wobbling was removed for the sake of good game design).

This was all about a year before 3.5 came out.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Besides this (which is pretty awesome), am I the only one that feels that all of RSE's battle music is complete and utter trash? It all feels too same-y.
A lot of it is similar.

But I think that the elite four, the champion, the regis, team leader battle themes, Deoxys, the legendary theme battle, and the battle frontier theme's are good.

That's for the original's mind you.

Now for the ORAS...

Only thing I really like so far is the primal legendary theme.

100th post!

How is ORAS, though? I've kind of considered getting it, but I haven't picked up that many of the games recently. I got Y, but never Soul Silver/Heart Gold or B/W. X/Y was kind of underwhelming for me.
Lack of battle frontier is making me question why I got it in the first place.

I haven't even opened it, but the battle maison being the only thing really to do kills me. I don't even know why either. the PWT was pretty much the same thing, but it had iconic trainers, and good music so I liked it a ton better, to the point where I could do it all day.

I can't even stand a round of the battle subway / tower / maison

But other than that, ORAS looks to be a lot more solid than X/Y with difficulty.

HG/SS people will say is great, so consider getting that if you don't mind downgrading graphics.
Personally, it put me to sleep despite loving gold version. Platnium was better to me though.

Black and white was astounding to me at least. It depends on whether or not you can live without the other 4 generations of pokemon. Faces same problem of being boring at the end though. At least I had friends whose worlds I could invade as random trainers / pokemon. That was always fun.

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
I'm already pretty mixed on picking it up since I never got into RSE to begin with and heard a lot of ups and downs on that generation in general. Loved the hell out of FR/LG and I can't really tell why, but having a bunch of "meh" battle themes is probably the main thing that would push me away from ORAS: they suck.
Despite three battle themes being variations of each other (Wild, Trainer, Gym), I love the battle themes. Elite Four is my favorite E4 theme too. ORAS's themes sound so much tamer than the originals though, like they're missing that extra something. I listen to GBA-3DS song mashups and they sound so much better.

DPPt's battle themes sound like **** to me FYI, like every one of them save for some legendary themes.

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
People who complain about Spacies in P:M never tell why they are op in the P:M meta game, making me feel like it is old Melee salt.

You will never get shine nerfs beyond the clank thing, it is too central to the characters.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Eh, maybe I'm spoiled by GSC. The trainer and gym theme have an amazing sense of progression up to a climax. I'm listening to the RSE champion theme over and over again and I only get a sense of meandering around as if the composer went "Pokemon sounds like this I think?". It's just... not very interesting. I do agree DPPt are worse; that feeling I get pervades it even more. I feel like BW and XY did a lot to take a turn for something different while still being familiar (even if both have their own musical shortcomings).

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
People who complain about Spacies in P:M never tell why they are op in the P:M meta game, making me feel like it is old Melee salt.

You will never get shine nerfs beyond the clank thing, it is too central to the characters.
I personally can't make a good essay that explains why spacies aren't sufficiently balanced in PM. I don't even think they're broken. My issue is that nerfing in general is a completely taboo subject in some groups that brings out the worst in people that don't want to talk game design.

Last edited:

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Did the survey for you Saph.

Also why I haven't heard this before in ORAS lol.
Thanks so much ^.^

Also that music is at the end of the ORAS Delta Episode, the main postgame plot that is kind of more than just postgame. Trigger it by going to your rival's house after the E4. You also can't get the special PC box wallpapers until you finish the Delta Episode.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Despite going through all of them, while I feel like some of the songs aren't great, every game has quite a few that I like.

R/B/G had the gym leader theme. I like pretty much every theme in R/B/G though.

G/S/C had the gym leader theme (Again). I've got an affinity for that sound font though. But the gym leader theme is up there near the top of my pokemon song list.

R/S/E had the previously mentioned Team leader theme, which stands out the most to me. It's got ones that I don't necessarially care for either (I hate the rival theme)

D/P/PT has Cynthia. some other good tracks in there to me as well. Lackluster normal battle / trainer battle, but I don't really keep those unless it's remixed, (Or X and Y's)

B/W has N's final battle and the Elite four. I didn't really care for most of the battle themes in Black and white, but those two really blew me away so it's aight. Some are just there, but don't stand out. Others like the rival theme are just EUGH

B2/W2 has Colress' theme, which probably shouldn't be that good, but I enjoy it a lot. This game cheats because it's got a lot of good remixes from older games and I love most of them. Rival theme is better in this game.

X and Y has the Elite four's theme which thanks to battling Malva first earned a solid spot. It's great, but the way it sounds plus her attitude towards the MC made it all that much better. Champion's theme is nice too. Really liked the trainer battle from this one, but didn't care for wild pokemon. Rival theme was bad.

FR/LG and HG/SS did a good job remastering most of the themes to me.

as previously stated, not really feeling ORAS's battle music. But I haven't gone through ALL of it yet.

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Man if we are talking about music in PKMN here are my favorites in order from 4th gen and the GSC remake.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Yooo I don't know what it is about G/S/C that I love so much and why I don't care for the original R/B/G themes (besides gym which could be arguably better in its 8-bit form). I think the difference in a more present use of beat helps a ton as R/B/G feels comparatively empty. This is also why I love FR/LG's remixes as well (Sevii Islands blows my god damn mind), but then at the same time I don't care for any of HG/SS's battle remixes (besides Lance/Red, absolutely solid). I think it's because the latter adds in pointless flair to the remixes and parts seem missing. This is left out for the Kanto battle themes which for that reason I find really well remade (and even adds back in the verse in the trainer theme that G/S/C actually left out).

I loooove N's final theme and Elite Four as well. There's something so alien about them compared to typical Pokemon battle themes and they're done superbly well.

XY's Elite Four theme is something I find shouldn't be as good as it is, but has such an incredibly good backbeat that I don't care for its lack of strong melody. It just works. Champion's theme sounds like a deviation from it rather than a wholly standalone theme so where it fails, it still works pretty well. Used to hate the trainer theme but probably because I played the game without headphones for awhile and missed out on a top of parts I couldn't hear that make it actually good.

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Crystal is still my favorite pokeman game. Mostly because what I like to do when I replay pokemon games is just ditch my starter as early as possible and just play with a different team because there aren't really any starters I like lol. In crystal you can get a Growlithe before you do the first gym, and arcanine is legit my favorite pokemon ever so its perfect for me.
It also has some great music in it.

Leafeon

Verdant Pokémon
So guys. I <3 you all, and this is really important to me.

I have a big sociology paper coming up, so can you take a quick survey? Won't take long and it'll help me not fail my college sociology class. Any help or shares would be truly appreciated. (Especially if you know any women, as I need input from girls too!)

Thanks. ^.^

http://www.sogosurvey.com/k/SsSPVWWsRsPsPsP
Oh noes, now you know I'm vegetarian.

Leafeon

Verdant Pokémon
Despite three battle themes being variations of each other (Wild, Trainer, Gym), I love the battle themes. Elite Four is my favorite E4 theme too. ORAS's themes sound so much tamer than the originals though, like they're missing that extra something. I listen to GBA-3DS song mashups and they sound so much better.

DPPt's battle themes sound like **** to me FYI, like every one of them save for some legendary themes.
I think Sinnoh has the second best Gym Leader theme.
And Johto has the best Gym Leader/E4 theme. It's shared in those games.

Mah opinion.

Hoenn music never cut it for me, idk why. But most of it still beats Unova music, although Unova 1 has a very well redeeming storyline imo (And PWT in Unova 2). When I got to the frontier island thing in ORAS and I was told about pokemon world championships, I got excited for a second, and then my hopes and dreams were instantly crushed by battle maison. Smh, power button, close DS, remove cartridge, store in its box on a shelf. (Catching Legendary Pokemon isn't really an entertaining thing for me, especially when I have a pokemon w/ thunder wave, a pokemon w/ spore, and another with false swipe. Catching is just a chore...

But back in Special Edition Yellow version I always enjoyed trying to catch the legendary birds or mewtwo for some reason, maybe because it was actually difficult.

There goes those steak dinner plans...

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Aw man
I had like 12 alerts and I was hype, thought it was the diddy boards contributing to my thread. Turns out it was just mech. RIP

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
im sick of smash 4, played it for more than 12 hours yesterday, time for some real gameplay with pm

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I just finished a lab/practice session with my roommate, played for like 5 hours. God my sleep schedule is messed up

Why do I work so hard trying to do cool/interesting things with Diddy when I could just stuff approaches with Ness's Fair or just Hold down+press A as roy as net more off of those simple combos, and get punished less hard as those characters

Diddy feels like Melee Samus now, in that he has to work so hard for things and do setups/traps to net what other characters can just do. Its fun and interesting and I really still love him but my god is his effort/reward balance skewed for his kit. I think he is a much more demanding character than fox, Mentally and technically. He doesn't have quite the same APM of course, but to actually be optimal (or at least what I see will be optimal as the meta progresses) my god you have to be super on point+flexible with all of your options to do setups and cover options, which isn't a bad thing and is part of what makes him feel so interesting. Like half of what makes diddy feel so challenging tech wise is keeping control of your banana while you don't necessarily want to use it at that time, like you need normals. SH zdrop Bair>waveland feel more difficult to pull out during matches than any spacie thing I do

tl;dr, preemptive character Johns. Not saying Diddy is bad, I think he only loses to spacies+marth and a few other MU's, but all of his even MU's are still uphill fights, if that makes sense. Its like its even, but diddy has to work harder to make it even.

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I personally can't make a good essay that explains why spacies aren't sufficiently balanced in PM. I don't even think they're broken. My issue is that nerfing in general is a completely taboo subject in some groups that brings out the worst in people that don't want to talk game design.
As a competitor, treating everything as fair and trying to come up with solutions to your opponent's options is the best mindset you can have. As a game designer & balancer, it is extremely counter-productive to creating the best possible experience.
People seem to have blurred this line (on top of applying it only when convenient/to their own characters in many cases), creating a lot of disagreement in the community about what should be done about various things.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
I get that shine is over centralizing but it kinda makes Spacies. They have been been getting little nerfs for awhile now. Until people start to decide matchups I don't think we should dismantle one of Fox and Falco's iconic moves from Melee.

At the very least admit that Falco isn't that great in P:M. Not every matchup is a breeze for him.

Maybe Fox shine spike nerf could happen, now that recoveries are universally worse.

Last edited:

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Think of what match-ups Falco wins though, and how frustrating it could be for the opposing player.

Those are the kinds of things you want to look at as a game developer. PM has always blurred that line though because I feel smash is a community full of gaming masochists.

Last edited:
Top Bottom