• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
@Ripple I'm sure Melee Hell will sponsor you, they'll sponsor anyone if you say M2k did 9/11

We should get a pm social player fund going and sponsor someone for an event

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Impossible.

Croph - Corphish
Maru - Not sure
Mario - Mario
riolu - Riolu (Notable, Mr. Aura Guardian)

The rest is gibberish, but the W0vol might be related to wolf

41PE

Well that's got APE in it.

Eeeeek is just eek.

#CasedClosed
That's actually kinda close lol. The only parts of my name that weren't randomly typed are MaruMario (inside joke) + riolu and Eeeeek which is based on one of the moves from this card:

but I didn't have enough room to type all the "e"s... damn character limit :(

Personally, I blame the alcohol, but hey, I could always change my name if I want to.

Wait, Mence has a Mega?
Yep, and it's sooo cool

Last edited:

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Holy **** the new UBW anime is ****ing amazing. Rin and Shirou got more character development the the first 3 episodes than they got in that ****storm that was the first series. Never even ****ing mind the UBW movie. The first 3 episodes are longer than the movie. Hopefully now all the Arturia bandwagonners will see why the other girls in the game are actual characters and not stereotypes.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I don't know if you answered me in the other thread, so I'll ask again. Is PMDepot a thing, or is it your personal channel?

Either way, I'd happily sport the PMDepot tag ;o
Oh yeah sorry

I was in a Wifi chat, and the people there wanted to create a channel to upload their Wifi matches and stuff. They were brainstorming names, I mentioned PMDepot, they instead eventually went with PMArchive https://www.youtube.com/user/PMArchive , so I just went ahead and used PMDepot for myself then. Then apparently I started making useful videos somewhere along the line after uploading random ones to the channel. Now in the recent year I have more subscribers than them, though they actually monetized (Hope4NewDay), while I use too much music in most of my videos to go through with trying (I just ask for people to try/support light press [for the sake of it not being deleted/or made into a custom control option] for the ergonomic health (and even better/faster play) and enjoyment of the future for the so far medium sized minority that enjoys it: http://smashboards.com/threads/a-di...ad-thing-health-related.360937/#post-17071426 )

So yeah just me. People could help but no one has yet. I need instant chat with people on general editing opinions (which I usually come here for, or the Ness Skype group lol), and beyond that if people cared enough to record stuff for me or anything (with credits in the video and all that, I've asked a couple people to record some TAS things in Dolphin but they haven't done it). Also could use knowing someone that has knowledge in Premiere.

I also made this channel early on always being eager to help learnith people: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDVRFtAXo-g&list=UUbgkC7P1RJYdGFHVrLv4ikg but went with tutorials more for PM with PMDepot, and anything related to Melee is usually in PM.

Thanks sure, eventually PMDepot will sell cool smash accessories or fund a kick-starter for Taunt pad attachable miniature whammy bars (To spam footstool with your palm): and all condoned tag-rockers will receive extra benefits.

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
"Spam footstools with your palm"

Dear
God
Baby
Jesus
Have
Mercy

NO you will overpower Reflex and break him. PMBR will nerf

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Thanks sure, eventually PMDepot will sell cool smash accessories or fund a kick-starter for Taunt pad attachable miniature whammy bars (To spam footstool with your palm): and all condoned tag-rockers will receive extra benefits.

Can we get some DDR mat support in here while we're at it?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
"It was at this moment that Jackson knew...

Randy Orton was here"

Damn right Jackson! You're gonna sell that RKO whether you like it or not!

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
That's a pretty good Macho-Man. Shoulda done "BONESAW IS READYYYYYYYY"

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
YES saw that one on fb, so good. I still maintain that the sound made when they smack chairs on people is only rivaled by seeing tables broken.

Vashimus

Smash Master
For those of you who care, my Game Informer came in today and in it I saw an article from Sakurai sharing his thoughts on Smash 4's development. Just like he's wrote a regular column for Weekly Famitsu, he'll be doing the same for Game Informer for the next few months. Like halfway down the article, he detailed his team's process on character design and balancing.

"First, I decide on a fighter, visualize their moves, snap poses using [wooden posable art] figures, and bring that over to the spec crew as I work on frame timings. The general stats for moves - their speed, reach, and other traits - are more or less decided by this point. I then give instructions to the motion designers, and once they bring back an animation for me, I directly program attack hitboxes and such.

Once a fighter is playable to some extent, I unleash them on the playtesters. We have around 12 of them, and I have them play both two and four-player matches and get back to me on win/loss records and which moves seemed particularly strong or weak. That forms the basis for the long fine-tuning process...

....if I took all of the battle records and tester feedback at face value and tried to make the game balance completely fair, that would make the game boring in some ways. Even if the balance is rough in spots, it's fun if it offers you a wide dynamic range to work with. That's something I hope we don't forget as we keep going."

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
*Looks at Smash 4*

*Mario Dthrow*

Who was in charge of play-testing that one LOL

I get the Wario and Yoshi bugs, or the weird little xyz stuff but like jesus it's like his testers never grab or try to abuse throws

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
For those of you who care, my Game Informer came in today and in it I saw an article from Sakurai sharing his thoughts on Smash 4's development. Just like he's wrote a regular column for Weekly Famitsu, he'll be doing the same for Game Informer for the next few months. Like halfway down the article, he detailed his team's process on character design and balancing.

"First, I decide on a fighter, visualize their moves, snap poses using [wooden posable art] figures, and bring that over to the spec crew as I work on frame timings. The general stats for moves - their speed, reach, and other traits - are more or less decided by this point. I then give instructions to the motion designers, and once they bring back an animation for me, I directly program attack hitboxes and such.

Once a fighter is playable to some extent, I unleash them on the playtesters. We have around 12 of them, and I have them play both two and four-player matches and get back to me on win/loss records and which moves seemed particularly strong or weak. That forms the basis for the long fine-tuning process...

....if I took all of the battle records and tester feedback at face value and tried to make the game balance completely fair, that would make the game boring in some ways. Even if the balance is rough in spots, it's fun if it offers you a wide dynamic range to work with. That's something I hope we don't forget as we keep going."

My brain hurts.

There's no way in hell that Bamco didn't have some kind of influence on all this, though.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

JOE!

Smash Hero
Sometimes I wish the competitive community could get a real, serious audience with Sakurai just to like... talk about what smash means to them and such... or something.

Words fail me for describing my thought process here.... #tiredJohns

Soft Serve

softie
Premium

So sakurai does his balancing based on win/loss records and opinions of 12 playtester's first impressions of the character?

I just... what. Sakurai has all of the japanese brawl players as a resource, I'm sure he could have just payed any of them the same amount of play-testing dollars to play the game. Hell, they would probably do it for free

If I was a game-dev of a long running fighting-game series with a huge, devoted fanbase, I'd just grab a few of them and get some opinions from people that are actually good at the games. The game can be fun for casuals and still be ballanced, I hate how he answers with blanket statements all the time. "tried to make the game balance completely fair, that would make the game boring in some ways." Like how? I feel like sakurai thinks things cant be balanced and still have diversity, like the game is only ballanced if every character has the same tools or something.

Sakurai making the hitboxes directly explains how MK got **** on too.

Last edited:

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Sakurai continues to bewilder me on the kind of mindset he has. It really doesn't make sense.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Some **** may have got lost in translation. Sakurai may have his methodologies, but no doubt he's got people around to fine tune his own work. Harada himself mentioned that the core team of Tekken Tag 2 was on hand for the development of Smash 4. Tekken may not have the most polished record of balance out there (what fighting game does?), but it's a lot better than most.

Then again, Sakurai is director. So I dunno. It would be easy to squander that kinda talent with this kind of attitude, I suppose.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Sakurai would be a hack if he thought he was any good at design ing fighting games.

Good thing he only makes party games.

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
who's up for some sm4sh

guess that nobody is

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
@ SpiderMad SpiderMad whenever I get the time to make a decent Bowser tutorial, you want a hand in that and/or to post it on your channel? I've recorded a few of my matches but never made a video before, and don't know how to do it properly or add audio or anything.

D

Deleted member

"Dear Sakurai,

Can we get a clear answer on why you came up with the single most amazing concept for a fighting game ever, and then completely turned your back on developing it?"
submitting loaded questions is a great way to make that never happen

if you had 7 digits of critical scrutinizing nerds from all over the world "playtesting" your game for free for 10+ years that also expected 12 random japanese people to match that in 4 months, you'd drop one-liners about the game's development too.

everyone who plays PM should have figured this stuff out by 2.5

Top Bottom