• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Johns Thread

Fortress

Smash Master
now that's troll bait in and of itself :troll:
I've actually used a variation on that John many-a-time. "I've got way more tech skill, I know way more tech, you don't ever dash dance, wave dash, go off-stage, L-cancel, blah blah blah". Then I quit Johnning in that manner and figured out that if our Wolf is going to spam F-smash, then I'll just grab him each time.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Jumping off the stage to edgegaurd, only to realize later that you jumped about a frame too late, so you actually fell off the edge and used your midair jump, and you SD.

Last edited:

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
now that's troll bait in and of itself :troll:
In certain matchups, skill makes less of an impact than in others. Ness could get twelve reads on DK and only get two kills out of it, while DK can easily take four stocks off eight or less correct decisions.

Getting more reads or making more correct decisions does not equate to a higher win rate in a game with so many BnB combos.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
In certain matchups, skill makes less of an impact than in others. Ness could get twelve reads on DK and only get two kills out of it, while DK can easily take four stocks off eight or less correct decisions.

Getting more reads or making more correct decisions does not equate to a higher win rate in a game with so many BnB combos.
do you mean to say that if a DK and a Ness were played by two people of equal skill level, that DK will generally be the one to win? Ness has little chance of countering him?

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
do you mean to say that if a DK and a Ness were played by two people of equal skill level, that DK will generally be the one to win? Ness has little chance of countering him?
In brawl? Without a doubt. PM? I'm not well-read enough yet to say.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I wouldn't say this and don't mean to make it sound like it. I just mean that in certain matchups, the skill of outthinking your opponent doesn't go as far as others. If I can kill you with Pikachu in Smash 64 by landing a single hit, I don't care if your Luigi gets 60 reads in the whole match.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
I wouldn't say this and don't mean to make it sound like it. I just mean that in certain matchups, the skill of outthinking your opponent doesn't go as far as others. If I can kill you with Pikachu in Smash 64 by landing a single hit, I don't care if your Luigi gets 60 reads in the whole match.
so, it's rather a natural disadvantage (well...as natural a situation as this build of a mod like this can get :ohwell: ), DK has tools better able to combat Ness than the other way around?

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
My training partner considers it to be a win for him if he gets within 1 stock when using a crappy character (we usually play random vs random).

"Yo dude that is seriously a moral victory".

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
I don't mind sheik much, fox and ZSS handle her fine, but Marth can be a real pain if I get sloppy with anything, tipper Fsmash hurts. We jokingly call a random/hard read Marth Fsmash "AZN strats" when it works.
I have a friend named Ritt, and the same thing happens. Although he can get pretty technical when he wants to; when he starts losing, he mashes C stick to the left or right. While it isn't that bad, we often joke about it being good. Every time he starts doing F-smash, we call it the "ritt combo"

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
so, it's rather a natural disadvantage (well...as natural a situation as this build of a mod like this can get :ohwell: ), DK has tools better able to combat Ness than the other way around?
Again, I don't mean to imply this at all. I won't say anything of the matchup as winnable or unwinnable in either direction. I just mean one character gets better reward than the other. It's inevitable in a diverse game that characters have different reward levels, and that JUST out-thinking your opponent isn't necessarily enough because of that fact. The matchup is fine because I didn't say anything about the characters' neutral games. In a neutral position, reads aren't happening and the characters are just doing what that character has tools to do in neutral. Once one player tries to push out of neutral or defend against an opponent doing so, they have to make actual decisions and guess work. Out of those reads, a character's rewards become apparent.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
Again, I don't mean to imply this at all. I won't say anything of the matchup as winnable or unwinnable in either direction. I just mean one character gets better reward than the other. It's inevitable in a diverse game that characters have different reward levels, and that JUST out-thinking your opponent isn't necessarily enough because of that fact. The matchup is fine because I didn't say anything about the characters' neutral games. In a neutral position, reads aren't happening and the characters are just doing what that character has tools to do in neutral. Once one player tries to push out of neutral or defend against an opponent doing so, they have to make actual decisions and guess work. Out of those reads, a character's rewards become apparent.
sounds like this might be something better understood through experience than theory, though I think I get the idea now.

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Ness vs DK = DON'T GET GRABBED, BOI
Does DK still cargo infinite him? lol

My training partner considers it to be a win for him if he gets within 1 stock when using a crappy character (we usually play random vs random).
"Yo dude that is seriously a moral victory".
Not a john, that's legit.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I've had someone tell me, "Wait! You didn't let me use my kill move, that's why I lost."

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I bet being named John while being in the smash community is a nightmare.

Your existence alone is a John.

Riukanojutsu

Smash Rookie
"The color of your Wii threw me off. I wasn't paying attention to the game, dude."
I know a guy who plays with his controller upside down. (R and L button facing him and the handles facing outward)
In a tournament one guy wanted him to be disqualified because "it threw his game off"

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
"I lost because we play on the full-set, I'm only used to the wifi-safe set"
"Mewtwo's helmet completely throws off his model to hitbox, I have no idea where to hit you!"
"You don't wavedash with the shoulder buttons, it really threw me off"
Best actual johns I have encountered thus far.

Last edited:

Bazkip

Smash Master
I know a guy who plays with his controller upside down. (R and L button facing him and the handles facing outward)
In a tournament one guy wanted him to be disqualified because "it threw his game off"
Aha did that happen at Polybash this past weekend? That's hilarious.

There was also a guy with a keyboard GC controlller, wonder if anyone may have johned saying it gave him an unfair advantage.

Riukanojutsu

Smash Rookie
Aha did that happen at Polybash this past weekend? That's hilarious.

There was also a guy with a keyboard GC controlller, wonder if anyone may have johned saying it gave him an unfair advantage.
That would be shairn. I havent heard anything about anyone johning.
and to answer your question, vigilante told me this story a while back, a bit before PM 2.5 I believe so it didnt happen at polybash.

Top Bottom