• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M is recruiting...

Revven

FrankerZ
Just figured I'd bump this topic up by saying that Alex19 likes Project M and uh... now that it's more widespread among the nation ya'll can post about it here. :p

Alex19

Smash Journeyman
project m is very fun and challenging i think it has potential to be a technical game it almost seems faster in some ways like when fox fast falls he falls alot fast so you need to l cancel alot fast but i found lucas to be amazing and fast lol

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Hey RockCrock, if you want you can sign up on SmashMods and put in a short application to join the PMBR here.

With your melee skillz I don't think you'll have any trouble getting in and testing out the Alpha.

Revven

FrankerZ
Any idea of when closed alpha will be over? I'm eager to play.
Closed alpha will likely continue on to at least before Pound 5, but even then that may not happen (it's not guaranteed). But you're more than welcome to apply to be apart of the BR for testing on www.smashmods.com get your hands on an early copy and help test and notice things we may not have known about.

Alex19

Smash Journeyman
me and lucky will be more than happy to testt some some stuff out lol

Revven

FrankerZ
falcons recovery is also waaay too amazing lol
That's due to his ledge grab boxes, they're huge. We can edit them but we haven't yet (and we're going to). Everyone grabs the ledge from too far away and they're all getting tweaked in some way.

JRI3102

Smash Apprentice
This is incredible, please continue. is there any major progress or an updated video/ progress? This has officially blown my mind. (second only to unlocking Master Hand in Melee.)

Alex19

Smash Journeyman
That's due to his ledge grab boxes, they're huge. We can edit them but we haven't yet (and we're going to). Everyone grabs the ledge from too far away and they're all getting tweaked in some way.
well you guys are already on top of that but yea its very entertaining and you guys are awsome lol i'll keep telling you guys anything that we notice

Absolut Zero

Smash Rookie
I read some of the pages in this thread and the video of project mand as a competive melee player for 5 years(not that great or even popular i feel like i deserve something in terms of an actuall melee sequal) - and for the top pros that want more melee and everybody that contributed so much to this game its time the fans stand up and do it.. they definetely deserve it and even the new people,Brawl is ok i actually see it as more than crap it does have strategy even still i just dont care Melee is designed perfectly and fun to play anytime even now. i want melee 2.0 or some patch, update that doesnt have brawls engine in it at all... if thats not possible then the community should get the rights to smash as Sakurai has stated brawl would be the last smash game and people have spent more time playing the games than he did making it. Whatever it takes even if we have to hire a full staff of game designers,hackers melee players etc.. and it shouldnt be about money either...

I wrote my perfect melee sequal and i guess this is the best place to put it.. Firstly People wanna see melee engine and not some brawl hack or whatever even if its not possible u better find a way to get it tolook and feel as close to melee has possible.....

If its suppose to be melee 2.0 why is brawl being used...Ok from now on brawls engine doesnt exist but were improving on melees engine because its perfecr, Im guessing u cant hack characters in melee?.. I wrote a quick 1 or 2 page example of what melee 2.0 aka Competitive Smash Bros.(a name i like but i dont care about the name) should be and most importantly melees engine is being used...you cant just duplicate it from brawl arggg it shouldnt even look like brawl. Melee 2.0 is inserting most of the brawl cast into melees engine not just a simple cut and paste, melees engine is far deeper and more detailed so alot of work needs to be done making sure they fit in melee as best as possible in terms of looks and movement: most of the characters i kept pretty much the same nerfing or changing a few attacks.. of course everyones areals are faster and the chars are more unique than in brawl to fit a more complex engine and give the characters some uniqeness like all the melee chars giving them weight and combo ability for example and advance techs...
Turning brawl characters into melee ones is esentially taking a brawl character and moves then trying to fit into melees engine as best as possible, this process will take a while to get the character and how u want it to fit not to mention adjusting and making them balanced and changing things how they compare with other characters as you can see a long process just for one character thats a melee project a long process but a great reward alot more complex but easily worth it to play, not changing brawl characters back into melee versions thats about as easy and simple as brawl..and if thats what this is im not gonna get on anyone for atleast doing sumthing but its not what people want.

now lets go over the brawl characters. Which next to the music is probly the best part about brawl most of the new brawl cast is designed really well but are hamperred by brawls engine....and a few that are good characters and just need a little makeover...

Olimar - can do a ledge grab with pikmin like link/samus for more recovery options, a little bit heavyier than melee falcon so not quite a fastfaller but close, and olimar has great areals that are wasted in brawl, wheres hes played pretty much throw/grab/smash mindgames... but melees physics makes them usefull for offense, edgeguarding comboing etc..

Snake - very unique char that needs alot of work to get him just right not to slow that fox can waveshinehim to death but not faster than hes suppose to be, changing his fair and dair are a good option to give him some better attacks... snake is of course the projectile king of brawl and anything he did in brawl will be ten times better in melee physics with cancelling and wavedashing A definete for melee his projectiles are crazy even better than samus...

Pit - flying char with arrows, pit's recovery will stay in making him one of the safest chars multible jumps and an adittional recovery move theyll be no gimping him, also he has arrows similar to falcos blaster in brawl the arrows are controllable however in melee they should just go strait to prevent lag plus theres really only a few chars with flight, his best options are spamming into a postion then coming down with an arael cancelled into sumthing, pits attacks are on the weak side his areals are usefull good for knocking characters off the stage like j-puff, but he makes up for it in recovery. A solid character addition...with moves similar to a combo of old characters like Marth,falco,jiggsor peach but still having his own identity and adding in a few other things. yes his down b reflector will be very handy.

Lucario - an easy character to transfer he'll simply just use mewtwos(sorry) design with lucarios strong offensive air attacks and smashes, charge ball, side b grab thing and a counter move definetly better than mewtwo an actual usefull version of mewtwo adds even more depth.

Lucas - another easy design, pretty similar to melee ness, his brawl up b will be better beacause its more accurate and and easy, ness will also get this, also has the important but overlooked downb that can recover damage, his side b fire will be a great move because it stays strait when u jump(most def a good tech wich will probly be very important... another great character that will be evolved with advanced techs..

metaknight - the god from brawl no longer dominates in melee, his tornado will be shortened to a second. Metaknight is very well designed and fun. In brawls more simplistic floaty engine hes able to get the advantage on anyone however in melees much more complex engine with more openess it allows for a fasterpaced, combotype game but more importantly character specific type strategic fighting. Meta simply wont have the adavantage he can be spammed or charged at by a character like falcon forsing him into a more defensive type style also big attacks will allways outprioritize him even marth with his range will be tough to get inside, in melee metaknight will be played similarly to jiggz except more aggressive and combo oriented he'll probly have even better and more complex combos in melee also ability to juggle and knock chsracters off the stage. Metas game will revolve around his comboes and air mobilty just dont expect it to be easy like in brawl even with adv techs...

Ike - A big heavy type sword fighter, pretty useless in brawl, he'll find himself as a character in melee with canceling, he'll have a game similar to ganondorfs.. with better recovery and another good addition, he could possibly need a few changes inhis specials his areals will hopefully work finnaly and he can be effective..

Diddy - He has a game based around his banana projectiles and his grabs, hes way to floaty/slow in brawl like olimar small characters need the most fine tuning and diddy is the best case his areals and smashes need to be quick and precise, his bananas are a great projectile and he also has good grabs, he'll be a quick comboing type charater, and possibly a fastfaller.
ROB - Another great char that will fit into melee. He has great defensive and combo potential as well as recovery, his up b definitely needs to be nerfed also he may have to many attacks...other than that another great addition.

Zamus - similar to shiek in style this character has a beam whip and gun thats pretty much it...

Dedede - A big character similar to bowser with a hammer. in brawl hes a pretty good big character in melee however he'll be slow so his down will be changed into a counter move (yes more chatacters need counter), his side b should be usefull enough for distraction while he does different hammer attacks strong but slow to make him better his b move will be a combo move, he'll have an up chainthrow and the counter move to keep people off him better...
Olimar,pit,Lucario,rob,dedede will all have some kind of chainthrow
Well so far thats pretty much mostly ground characters like they already belong in melee, pits fly is pretty much useless in brawl where every character pretty much can fly... pit will benift alot and his flying will make him very unique even compared to metaknight....

Now for brawl chars with complete move changes or unsure...

Wolf - Wolfs moveset is going to be changed to make him more like fox and falco and a true space animal, with attacks from falco & fox and some completly new, Only thing he will be keeping is his recovering counter move. His shine is situational sometimes acting like foxes sometimes like falcos its completely random, his b is a blaster with foxes lazer output but with falcos knockback making for a very strong weapon that can be used almost like a wall when you jump. Wolf will be slightly bigger than falco and a tad heavyier. His bair,nair, dash attack,standinding attack, tilts, and up & d smash are all pretty much the same as fox and falco his dair is a complete vertical spike almost like falcos but at a straight angle with a different animation, his uair is a good combo starter and juggle move similar to DK its like a headbutt, his fair is a claw attack and a good kill move, his fsmash is a long dive using his whole body with his claw out covering alot of distantce....out of a falco shine u can do a dair to keep a shine combo going, a uair to juggle, or even a fair, out of a fox shine u can use a fmash to reach all the way on some chars or follow it up with a wd and a grab another shine or an areal.. his blaster is good against chars without a reflection attack making things a pain even flying characters can have trouble...

Sonic- Sonic was pretty much a joke in brawl he feels out of place and doesnt fit. He needs a totally new moveset amost espicialy better areals and smashes..it is melee and sonic should be the fastest character but not so fast hes unplayable... 2 spindashes for special moves maybe one hits another one u combo out of he def needs chainthrowing,techasing,and another unique advanced tech, maybe even some kind of charge up spindash for more damage or a dash that turns into a grab, i dunno those are all the ideas i really have

brawl characters removed - Wario(His moves are wierd and hes designed to much using brawls engine to change),PT(the pokemon switching was a bad idea it takes to long, TLink(only one link)

Since Ive been through all this trouble i figured wed give the fans a final treat as this is suppose to be the last smash game.(assuming this is made) i guess ill wait till the end.

This should be the ultimate competitive smash game to unite the comunity and addihg those characters will give u another 10 years to evolve melees metagame
As far as what should be on the disc ill explain :

An intro movie, a main menu, a character roster, options menu for save data,rumble, etc.. since its for competitive smash theres no single mode options.... what is on there though is all the brawl and melee characters(most), all the competitive stages from brawl and melee + the counterpicks, all the music from brawl and melee, and the save match feature from brawl but longer...and additional mode called tournament rules and editor where the match rules and other stuff can be accesed even a place to make a bracket with names entered and a section thats holds info on people names all right on the game,and new costumes as well of course, and finnally the most important thing it uses melees engine nothing from brawl (if that can cant be accessed then there needs to be and engine thats almost identical to it...its not just what the characters do but how...

now ill go over the melee roster which uses the pal version already nerfing the top tiers but theres alot more to be done in nerfing, buffing or any other changes...

Im not exactly sure what the pal nerfs are but ill be doing it all below

Fox - Weakned up smash, uair/Can change shines color
Marth - Weakened dair,fsmash except tipper
Shiek - Less efective chainthrow,weakened up smash/can grab the side with his string thing(done using grab motions,although his grab stays the same..

Falco - no nerfs/up b is slightly (very slight) longer, can change color of shine
Peach - Weakened dsmash and fthrow/pulls out another item at random(very rare)

Jigglypuff - his rest has a smaller area to connect making a full hit rest and a half hit which gives the opponent time to attack, he has one less jump too...

Ice climbers - Wobbling and infinite throws are removed

Falcon - Side b can grab ledge,connected falcon punch is an auto kill

Doc - weakened f-smash/Increased down b recovery
Ganondorf - Weakened dair/ Chargepunch is an auto kill

Samus - can turn into ZSS like zelda to shiek using taunt button
Mario - increased dair recovery and horizantal reach on his up b

Link - Can shoot fire and ice arrows, upsmash is a single upwards sword swing and a powerfull kill move

Luigi - side b can misfire by doing a smash side b

DK - Increased vertical distance on up b, increase running speed
Zelda - Increased distance and accuraccy with up b, more knockback on side b

Pikachu - increased damage on smash, up b can be attacked out between the first and second parts and do damage on its own,downb is higher up

Yoshi, R - reg shield;l - egg shield, up b has upwards motion, tounge grab can grab the side of the stage

G&W - bigger shield, can attack out of up b

ness - improved strenth and technique with yo-yo up and d smash, increased acurracy with ub, b move is faster and more usefull

Bowser - Increased attack speed,firebreath is moveable and cancelable,side b has more range, downb is cancellable.

kirby - i dunno just use his entire brawl moveset

removed pichu- useless waste, mewtwo (replaced by lucario, sorry mew fans) roy (replaced twice actually) and y.link (Its not really fair for every character to have one version but link having 3 similar chars) so adult link is just gonna get a agility boost and young links fire, of mario still has doc but hes actually a unique version of mario unlike yort link but that can be argued i guess the best thing would be to justmake ylink playable or doc costume but i dunno.. theres also zelda and samus....nvm lets just say mario is special and doc is diffrent enough)

and thats ur balanced melee roster.. or good enough, u dont wanna change the original cast too much...people like thier characters....

and finnaly

New challengers!

After doing all that even just two new characters is enough to be icing on the cake... while i have alot of ideas and chars im just gonna go ahead and list the two most obviuos nintedo ones..

Isaac - Sword character from golden sun, the answer to marth interms of a new sword character cant get enough of them sword guys. Isaac also has a magic element, wind i think but im not completely sure. Isaacs a moves will be all sword attacks similar too but completely unique of marth in how hes played.his b moves could be easily created with a magic element twist.

Little Mac - the other shoe in while using mostly puches his a attacks are pretty common moves hes quik and has a unique stlye . b moves esentialls designed from marth, upb uppercut recovery, down b super counter dont hit him in this or ull get knocked across the screen, side b, 4 combo punch like marths sideb, and finally his b move Super Punch a charge move... hits start it over.. takes about as long as dks to charge if it hits excpect serious damage, shielding it is even worse as it completely breaks ur shield leaving u open and dizzy for a free hit.

Of course id like to add megaman and geno but ud def have to get the rights first megaman would be great a good comboer with a chanrge shot and a second gun that can be changed creating diferent styles.
Other characters i had ideas for poo from earthbound, with a super grab range, a power and speed increase move, a unique recovery that uses up and side b and look identical except ones a counter and ones a regular recovery with damage, also a helth recovery move like ness/lucas and magic infused smashes with karate attacks.

Magic koopa/kameck - pure magic specials like a random fire,ice,or elec attack withb, side b turns other characters projectiles against them, down b vanish and move only with controller vibrations...

Ditto - has a regular moveset bgt can also force a ditto at anytime with copy. Masked Man from mother three this guys flys, has a saber and a gun not to mention looks really cool. Skull kid canchange masks to alther moves i guess, bowser junior - not sure, Rak MK 2 - a giant robot thing staffy - a star u get the idea

2 is enough and theres always room to make more

well that pretty much wraps up all my ideas for melee 2.0

By the look of the video its looks like just another brawl hack into melee but i hope not, maybe someday we can get this realesed when some finnallies figures out how to acess melees engine or create similar version, good luck & feel free to use any of my ideas. The only chance now for meele 2 pretty much is for KEN to get his degree VG design get the rights from Sakurai and start making it, that would be cool but i dont feel like waiting that long...

Melee 2.0 because you cant fix perfection but only add to it, to reunite the smash community, and game worthy of the name melee to play our way for another 10 years :)

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
@Absolut Zero
  1. Do you know anything about hacking or game development at all?
  2. What do you mean by "engine?" Do you mean "physics engine?" If so, Brawl uses Havok which is a very good physics engine used in games of every genre and calibur.
  3. Rather than construct a wall of theorymodding, you should find out how to actually accomplish your goals first.

Absolut Zero

Smash Rookie
wha? sorry then im def not trolling.. just want a good game a sequal to melee... Your right i dont know anything about hacking those are just my ideas if its stupid then whatever... Im just saying melee plays and feels different from brawl im not sure brawl can even be hacked enough to create the right feel.. Im not gonna offend anybody workin on stuff... I dont see whats so bad about what I listed... bassicly melee and brawl together etc.. its just i dont want it to look or feel anything like brawl gameplay wise... Sorry if you couldnt get anything from my post.... It is real, i wouldnt type all of that trying to do anything other than help.... but i guess i came off as stupid or in dunno im not sure(most of the people in the LA thread like my ideas but i guess yall arent looking for any, i figured i could atleast give my opinion but i guess whatevers being made is being done by a few certain people)

ive been wanting melee 2 since brawl, ive played melee competively and for fun since 2005 and i still love it but its just i want to see a sequal(a few more characters) that plays like melee...fast paced, combos, advance techs, character weight etc... but instead we got brawl :/ i just wish they left the engine alone and just added the new characters most of them could fit in with the melee ones anyways.... the casual players wouldnt have even noticed....
and this is called project m, i think thats what most melee people want the sequal they never got... hopefully this can be something good.. alot of people have been waiting for something new to play in smash terms....I hope it comes out well and can have something to start playing at tournaments hopefully

I appreciate the efforts, sorry if i came off the wrong way...

good luck

Pengie

Smash Lord
Man, this project just gets better and better each time I play it. I think it's amazing how I went to a tournament yesterday, did nothing but play Project M, and was able to transition flawlessly to Fox in Melee. I can't even imagine how amazing this thing will be when it's actually finished :)

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Man, this project just gets better and better each time I play it. I think it's amazing how I went to a tournament yesterday, did nothing but play Project M, and was able to transition flawlessly to Fox in Melee. I can't even imagine how amazing this thing will be when it's actually finished :)
Yeah. The Spacies are pretty much on point now. the rest of the cast has to catch up the them as well as a few other minor tweaks and one MAJOR fix. Then it will probably be open beta released. At the rate of exposure it's likely alot of people will have played it at some point by the that time though.

Absolut Zero

Smash Rookie
Really? it actually feels that close to melee? It looks good i just dont like how it looks like brawl(i guess ill have to get over that), i guess i have to play it furst...

I saw a vid of sheik vs Sonic and it actually looked really good.

I guess im looking forward to playing olimar in this...

does anyone know are they adding or taking away moves? I personaly think more characters need a wall grab like Link and Samus, particularly olimar and yoshi. Also i would give more characters counter like Dedede... also change wolf or atleast his shine i think he should play more like fox and falco, and what are they gonna do to metaknight? also any possibility of adding any new characters? Im guessing that would be too hard i guess unluess u just use an existing character.. Oh well id really like to see Isaac as another sword fighter atleast, i know getting all the other characters working is the main point it would be cool though...

from what ive seen it looks good, interested to see the rest of the characters and play it. Is it gonna be sold or what?

i guess ill predict who I think the best characters will be... falco,fox,shiek,marth,diddy,metaknight,ROB,sonic,olimar,ice climbers,Lucas,Wolf(if they change his moveset, his shine especially)

Well those are the characters im predicting the best just based on melee and brawl and a few videos and guessing...

Im not sure about Snake,Falcon,Lucario,Dedede,Peach,Jigglufuff,Samus/Zamus,Ganon,pikachu,Wario,G&W, just have to wait I guess.....

Is there any where to go to read up on this in more detail... i mean if youve got top melee players from Japan and here playing it, it must be a pretty big thing... of course i guess keeping it a secret would be better i just wanna know if theyre aiming for balance?, are they changing or adding moves?, what Characters? stages? music?

RockCrock

Smash Champion
Something looked horribly wrong in those bombsoldier videos. It was like he had infinite control over his aerial DI. He would do a retreating shorthop laser, but as soon as he shoot the laser it looked like he had complete control over his DI, rather than continuin in the direction that he jumped in. There was no conservation of momentum. Does it have to do with reverse B moves?

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Really? it actually feels that close to melee? It looks good i just dont like how it looks like brawl(i guess ill have to get over that), i guess i have to play it furst...

I saw a vid of sheik vs Sonic and it actually looked really good.

I guess im looking forward to playing olimar in this...

does anyone know are they adding or taking away moves? I personaly think more characters need a wall grab like Link and Samus, particularly olimar and yoshi. Also i would give more characters counter like Dedede... also change wolf or atleast his shine i think he should play more like fox and falco, and what are they gonna do to metaknight? also any possibility of adding any new characters? Im guessing that would be too hard i guess unluess u just use an existing character.. Oh well id really like to see Isaac as another sword fighter atleast, i know getting all the other characters working is the main point it would be cool though...

from what ive seen it looks good, interested to see the rest of the characters and play it. Is it gonna be sold or what?

i guess ill predict who I think the best characters will be... falco,fox,shiek,marth,diddy,metaknight,ROB,sonic,olimar,ice climbers,Lucas,Wolf(if they change his moveset, his shine especially)

Well those are the characters im predicting the best just based on melee and brawl and a few videos and guessing...

Im not sure about Snake,Falcon,Lucario,Dedede,Peach,Jigglufuff,Samus/Zamus,Ganon,pikachu,Wario,G&W, just have to wait I guess.....

Is there any where to go to read up on this in more detail... i mean if youve got top melee players from Japan and here playing it, it must be a pretty big thing... of course i guess keeping it a secret would be better i just wanna know if theyre aiming for balance?, are they changing or adding moves?, what Characters? stages? music?
http://tribewithted.mlblogs.com/huh.jpg

All I'll say is go to this thread:http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=260812

read second post then proceed to ask generic questions there.

IN OTHER NEWS!!!!
Sonic the New Falcon???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bccaTNFaXlE

Top Bottom