• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project GENO - MarioDK Demo out

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
Piks,

Perhaps if we had done the Geno on another character, that has a cape (like Ike, Marth ...), we could make a model with a better cape?
I'm not criticizing your work, I thought brilliant! I'm just trying to understand how the vertex hack works!

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
This project is on.

Okay. Who knows PSA well? We've got stuff to do. Steal Lucario's Beam for Geno, among other things.

Also, I have an idea for shooting bullets - TSON - Can you see if you can remove the limit for only 2 bombs?

Piks

Smash Journeyman
I personally think that counts as critique, but there's nothing wrong with that at all. Constructive Critique is good for you.

Anyway, if I did it on Marth or Ike he would be giant. I can't change size through vertexing, the problems if I did that would be miles worse than the motion problems that would occur on TL.

Though looking back, I guess I'll try the second strand on TL.

ds22

Smash Lord
This project is on.

Okay. Who knows PSA well? We've got stuff to do. Steal Lucario's Beam for Geno, among other things.

Also, I have an idea for shooting bullets - TSON - Can you see if you can remove the limit for only 2 bombs?
May I suggest something?
Could you do the PSA over Lucas?
You can basically switch over the Geno model over Lucas, so that's not a problem (and Lucas animations fit Geno better).

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Animations aren't an issue at all. And why would I want to replace Lucas?

Toon Link has over 100KB I can add to his pac. That's incentive for me to keep using him.

Piks

Smash Journeyman
Could you be more specific about the texture issues?
me said:
Sorry to say, no to both of those - I know Geno's vest isn't really a "cape," but there's limits vertex editing has. You can't deviate too far from the original model, I would know from experience. Vertex weights get all screwed up.

Same with the hair/ribbon, although the second strand is more likely to be successful than the vest.

Download is up by the way. check Stack Smash

I'll fix some issues up by the release of v2.

Here's a list of likely edits:
Second Strand
Arm Cannons for the PSA, though Shadic would have to modify it so those polygons only show during the attacks that use it.
Texture fixes? I'll try making the hat clearer.

dirtboy345

Smash Ace
well about the texture its a little darker and to look like the reference picture it has to be more blue

wilttilt

Smash Apprentice
I believe he's aiming for a "Brawlified" look. Just look at Mario games, and then look at Brawl Mario. SSBB Mario has much more diluted colors.

link2702

Smash Champion
this makes me sad, happy, and mad.

it makes me sad cuz i know that even though these hacks will be awsome, and we'll get to play as geno finally, its still just a hack, which means it won't be mainstream/pretty much strictly for fun and lols.

it makes me mad, because it reminds me that nintendo didn't add one of the characters most deserving to be in brawl(but then again.....looking at how lousy a smash game brawl is compared to the other two...maybe thats not so bad, so they didn't tarnish geno's image like they did the rest of the cast)

and it makes me happy cuz.....ITS FREAKING GENO!!!! I FINALLY WILL GET TO PLAY AS GENO IN SMASH!!!!!!!111111111 MAH HAPPIEST DAY EVA!!!!!!!!!!!11

on a side note;

always the ness mains.....who are freaking haxorz geniuses

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Pik's hack is super amazing -- even using Toon Link's moveset it looks and behaves like Geno.

If you guys need help accomplishing something with the PSA, I'd be glad to lend assistance.

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
I personally think that counts as critique, but there's nothing wrong with that at all. Constructive Critique is good for you.

Anyway, if I did it on Marth or Ike he would be giant. I can't change size through vertexing, the problems if I did that would be miles worse than the motion problems that would occur on TL.

Though looking back, I guess I'll try the second strand on TL.
Wouldn't resizing the bones fix the problem?

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
If you guys need help accomplishing something with the PSA, I'd be glad to lend assistance.
You have no idea how hard I'm going to hit you up on that offer.

Do you have AIM or MSN? I think I've seen you on IRC from time to time, but eh.

Piks

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, if you guys need PSA help, Eldiran is the man.

Anyway, I tried giving him the second curl.

As you can see, his vertex weights make the hair go all over the place. In order to null them I had to disable his waist, left shoulder, left arm, left elbow and hand's movement. But hey, you guys got what you wanted! A second curl.

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/3765/curll.png

He's mostly paralyzed though. It's not going to work.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Good attempt, Pik. I honestly didn't even notice he was lacking it.

@Shadic: Feel free to. I am easiest to contact via PMs (here, at smashmods, or at KC:MM), but I am online late at night on AIM. PM me if you want my screenname. Lately I've also been on Skype during the day, too, but we'll see how long that lasts.

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
Shadic:

Should we not start discussing the moves of Geno? I have several ideas and I believe that many here, on the topic, should have too!

I like your idea of GenoBoost, but as the special moves lose strength when Geno is in the air, I believe that leaving the Geno stronger in the air is not very helpful! I thought that, perhaps, UpB could be in the style of Ivysaur's UpB. basically Geno shoots one of his hands, which grabs the edge! something like this:

Piks

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of arm abilities, I made this for some of his attacks. Just make the sword hilt usually invisible and it'll work. (though you also need to size-mod his hand to .1 its size, then make the sword 10 times larger)

I'd support that tether idea by the way. It looks awesome :D

Senjen

Smash Apprentice
i thought of something couldn't you just put a line between that one hair strand and give it the allusion of two hair strands? kinda like the lines of the mouth?

also i support that geno tether grab idea

amazing job on the gun part piks ^^

link2702

Smash Champion
i thought of something couldn't you just put a line between that one hair strand and give it the allusion of two hair strands? kinda like the lines of the mouth?

also i support that geno tether grab idea

amazing job on the gun part piks ^^
^ya this

i'm no hacker at all so IDK how you'd do it, but couldn't it be possible to just kind of split the curl in the middle so it looks like 2?

Dakaggo

Smash Cadet
...........I check this thread every day for weeks and very little happens and I stop checking for a week to move (from NY to redmond, WA) and something actually gets done? (If anyone is interested I moved to go to college at Digipen)

That is really an impressive hack. I mean a model import would obviously be ideal but it's leaps and bounds better than what we had.

I absolutely think we need to have a chat room discussion on his moveset. Obviously everyone has ideas and I think to get the best results we should try and take in as many ideas as possible. We should have a firm master blueprint before anyone does too much work.

I like the idea of a tether edge grab but I hate it when a tether takes up a character's Up Special, I think it should definitely be a Z air.

Oh also, what is the limit of bombs you can have out at once?

Er also also, splitting the curl in two wouldn't make it look any more accurate basically.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I'm fine with just curl.

Tether arm Zair works, but I'd like it to only actually grapple when Geno can get the edge - have to see how that'll work with Eldiran.

Gun-Arm looks amazing, Piks.

Piks

Smash Journeyman
Thanks guys. I really don't think splitting the hair with a texture would work out, it'd look like a highlight more than anything else.

I absolutely think we need to have a chat room discussion on his moveset.
This is also an interesting possibility! I had my own ideas for his moves: For example, his entry could be a twinkling star going down into Geno's limp/inanimate body, then he'd rise up, strike a short pose, and assume his idle stance.

link2702

Smash Champion
hmm.....so then is it at least possible to just put the single curl in the middle? it just....looks really off when its to the side like that, imbalanced basicly

again, i'm not even remotely close to a hacker(my knowledge of "hacking" games, was basicly a game shark for n64 or AR for gcn and looking up codes online, to "hack" the games...thats the extent of my "hackign" knowledge) but i'm just curious(sure its already been answered a few pages back but i don't feel like looking it up/probably won't answer my question completly) but...why is it that you CAN'T add the other curl? and does this also mean that the current one might not be able to be put in the middle?

I'm serious...it just looks....really off with one curl on one side but nothign on the other to balance it out....

Piks

Smash Journeyman
I always saw his curls positioned more to the left, so I tried putting my curl in the middle of where I thought the two would be - I'm able to move it if you guys really want me to.

And about adding the second curl, I just explained that on the last page. :dizzy: There's pictures, a brief explanation of how it couldn't be done, what are you still wondering? I mean, feel free to ask if there's more, but you simply asked me why I couldn't add it.

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
I like the idea of a tether edge grab but I hate it when a tether takes up a character's Up Special, I think it should definitely be a Z air.
Yes, I agree with you that it's bad to lose a B move with that!
But my problem is about GenoBoost. I think he is very different from Mario RPG. does not make much sense use this move like a recovery for Geno, since it don't launch Geno in the air on Mario RPG.
Maybe this move can be more time based, like the original one. For example, when Geno use this move, he can stay a little more stronger for a shot time, according to the Timed Hit success.
and then, we can use a different move for his recovery!

Dakaggo

Smash Cadet
Shadic, care to set any sort of official date or venue for such a gathering? This would go much more smoothly and would be much more decisive in a chat room. A character only has so many moves so really we'd only have 20 or so items to go down one at a time. Oh and Piks' suggestion for a entrance is about as perfect as Geno could get.

@Necro Toad

Well this is why I suggest a chat room so things like this can be discussed at a faster pace with a little more clarity. Anyway I agree that it's not exactly accurate. I'm sure there are other options.

Nessgod

Smash Cadet
Thanks guys. I really don't think splitting the hair with a texture would work out, it'd look like a highlight more than anything else.

This is also an interesting possibility! I had my own ideas for his moves: For example, his entry could be a twinkling star going down into Geno's limp/inanimate body, then he'd rise up, strike a short pose, and assume his idle stance.

You could try using Kirby's Entry or Samus's, it'd be ALOT easier as a starting point

zeno503

Smash Rookie
Um random here but a question about the cosmic geno download, what do I name it? I've never had any previous version of it so I can't tell what exact file it is. I tried naming as FitToonLink.pac and it froze, FitToonLinkmotionetc.pac and froze my game. So I'm assuming I need another file for it?

Matteron

Smash Ace
Um random here but a question about the cosmic geno download, what do I name it? I've never had any previous version of it so I can't tell what exact file it is. I tried naming as FitToonLink.pac and it froze, FitToonLinkmotionetc.pac and froze my game. So I'm assuming I need another file for it?
no, It's not like cosmic geno is a model psa yet, even if pik's hack is out...

zeno503

Smash Rookie
No I mean the download name itself, for cosmic geno. When I download it it's called CosmicGenoversion1.18, I know it works but it's that I don't know what to rename it. And I know it needs a fitmotionetc and a FitToonLink.pac and it only comes with one of them. You should put both files in a zip like in the fighter geno download.

Top Bottom