• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Probably going to get back into Competitive Pokemon TCG

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
But you can only use from the same number of sets you could when playing when Wizard was in charge. The number of pokemon is an aesthetic again, because it doesn't even change the number of viable cards.
I just assumed the sets included more Pokémon since the overall number is larger now. My mistake.

So if these cards are so broken or too good, then why aren't they being listed in the top decks?
Probably because they aren't broken or too good.

I'm not saying the EX cards are broken
As I stated, I just think the concept is stupid. A few of them seem broken, and I don't think that a broken card would be made balanced just by giving the opponent two prizes when they beat them, but I don't think the entire concept is broken.

Not that it affects me anyways, considering I won't care for the new TCG no matter what.

Magnezone92

Smash Rookie
Tcg

Nintendo should make the Base Collection again into the new expansion for the TCG because the very new cards have really cause different motives to the old players.

Platypus

Smash Ace
Astride a magic potato alongside Mario. ________ S
Precisely. My single, very old deck is only at the point where the most complicated monster has "Delta" in its name- and I found it lying on the ground. (It's a tongue-dinosaur.)

The game has evolved complications that boggle the mind.

Without any reference to the Internet, I developed an entirely different game. You can have up to three monsters in the fray at once, each turn has phases in which you can and cannot do certain things (implemented to prevent work-arounds), and the Bench is an entity behind the active monsters, out of the reach of normal attacks. Also, Eevee's Tail Wag affects every opposing monster, rather than just one.
All I'm missing are the means of winning.

But start playing the game now? I refuse, since my basic monsters are now worthless.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
I used to have the best TCG deck ever, with 2 different cards.

4 of these guys:

And 56 of these:

Cheap as hell.

EDIT: Ah, CRASHiC beat me to it. :'(

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My favorite card was ditto.

Since colorless energies come in duos, and all energies attached to ditto count as whatever you want...or however it went...

I was able to transform into the opponents pokemon and kill him before he could do anything.

drcossack

Smash Ace
I used to have the best TCG deck ever, with 2 different cards.

4 of these guys:

And 56 of these:

Cheap as hell.

EDIT: Ah, CRASHiC beat me to it. :'(
You cheap *******.

My favorite card was ditto.

Since colorless energies come in duos, and all energies attached to ditto count as whatever you want...or however it went...

I was able to transform into the opponents pokemon and kill him before he could do anything.
Mine was (and still is) this guy:

I downloaded the Apprentice Patch for the Pokemon TCG. Once I figure out what cards are good, I'll make a deck.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yeah, I loved charizard as well. That;s why I had a colorless/ Fire deck.

I rarely got charizard out, but the reaction of my opponent was always priceless when I did.

drcossack

Smash Ace
Yeah, I loved charizard as well. That;s why I had a colorless/ Fire deck.

I rarely got charizard out, but the reaction of my opponent was always priceless when I did.
I have 3 decks of the old sets (Base, Jungle, Fossil, when I stopped buying them)

Electric/Psychic, which I don't like all that much.
Pure Fire (I think, I need to look at it again)
Pure Water - easily my favorite of the ones I made.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I downloaded the Apprentice Patch for the Pokemon TCG. Once I figure out what cards are good, I'll make a deck.
...why do I have this odd feeling like TCG tournaments will start happening in the future?

Once I get back on the Windows side of my comp, I'll be sure to download the patch. I used to <3 the TCG back in the day. Hopefully I can still do something in it.

drcossack

Smash Ace
...why do I have this odd feeling like TCG tournaments will start happening in the future?

Once I get back on the Windows side of my comp, I'll be sure to download the patch. I used to <3 the TCG back in the day. Hopefully I can still do something in it.
VGC already has them, I believe, though I don't really know much about it. I'm definitely entering for both the TCG and the video games in 2010.

edit: Made a Dragon-Themed deck, but I have no idea how good it is. If anyone wants to help me test it, IM me

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
LOL!!! 19 year olds who play with Pokemon trading cards.
When I was 19 there started to be a small pokemon TCG fad among my friends...

There's nothing wrong with it, it was fun bustin' out the old cards from those early days and getting a chance to show after that many years, you still are better at the game...

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I hate how Flygon Lv. X is worth twice as much as any other Lv. X card from Rising Rivals.

:mad:

I'd much rather buy like, 7 boosters and hope to pull it for the same price AND get 69 more cards along the way.

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
www.serebii.net/card/lpromos/020.shtml

www.serebii.net/card/lpromos/021.shtml

They're babies? Seriously. WOOOOOWWWWW.

www.serebii.net/card/soulsilvercollection/037.shtml

Crobat is Going to be everywhere. I love how they gave him 130HP with 0 retreat cost, and every move takes 1 energy. T________T

www.serebii.net/card/soulsilvercollection/061.shtml

Orly Now? 10 damage = 60 damage? What kinda broken Pokebody.

www.serebii.net/card/heartgoldcollection/054.shtml

I'm sure they've gotta be tired of having blissey in World championship decks -________-

I hope somebody translated these incorrectly. Ursaring Isn't THAT bad. Neither is Blissey. But... Crobat, Darkrai, and Cressy... That's just stupid.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Oh yeah, those guys. I forget who showed me those, I think it was someone on another forum.

It's things like these that make me wish I had 1337 Photoshop skills so I could make an epic avatar.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Necro, **** yeah.

So I tried out that thing where you take some Magic the Gathering simulator and replace the files with Pokémon cards and stuff a while ago and I was like ****ing **** this is so confusing what the **** does that card say the text is so small what the **** there's no matchmaking.

And then there's this guy.

http://www.lackeyccg.com

I might actually start playing.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
apparently there's this RedShark thing that's supposed to be easier to use.

I'll try it and see what I come up with.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Also apparently they just started a new format or something.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Yeah I'm not even going to try with Redshark, it looks like it's easier to understand the terminology but more difficult to use, as well as less visually appealing.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Ok, so I've recently gotten into the tcg

I don't wanna go through the hassle of buying decks so I downloaded Redshark

Someone suggest to me a deck? I have absolutely no idea where to start...

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Redshark sucks, it requires you to follow the rules instead of inforcing the rules. You can draw your entire hand your first turn.

Roach, I'd tell you to use Flygon Lock, but unlike me, you don't enjoy really gay ****.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Redshark sucks, it requires you to follow the rules instead of inforcing the rules. You can draw your entire hand your first turn.

Roach, I'd tell you to use Flygon Lock, but unlike me, you don't enjoy really gay ****.
Flygon Lock isn't really viable anymore anyway.
Too much SP dominance these days.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jtK_zZ7PUK0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jtK_zZ7PUK0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Personally, I play a LuxChomp deck as well, but I've always wanted to try a Sablelock with a super secret Jirachi tech.

I've used Redshark before and it's okay, but I think Lackey is the way to go.

There's a new program being developed being reported on by sixprizes.com that is going to integrate social networking into the mix. (They won't set it up like Shoddy though, because that'd violate certain rules or something).

Also, if you're looking to jump into the card game, go to www.sixprizes.com for new articles every day and subscribe to that channel the video above is from.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings

Well, would you recommend me another good program to play the TCG? I'd love to get into it, but nobody I know plays the TCG and anybody WHO DOES own the cards don't know how to actually play the game

Also, I just have really ****ty cards irl. They're all first and second gen XD

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Well, would you recommend me another good program to play the TCG? I'd love to get into it, but nobody I know plays the TCG and anybody WHO DOES own the cards don't know how to actually play the game

Also, I just have really ****ty cards irl. They're all first and second gen XD
1) Figure out what valuable cards you have that have no competitive value
2) Figure out what cards your friends have that have competitive value
3) Trade

But don't trade anything from below Mystic Dawn, since they're to be rotated out in the new season.

finalark

SNORLAX
I never actually played the TCG competitively or seriously. Is there some kind of Shoddy-esque programs for the TCG? I might dabble in it a bit, though it seems horribly complex, considering how many cards there are.
I know I'm quoting something from the start of the thread but...

If you think that the Pokemon TCG is too complected, then you've clearly never played Magic the Gathering.

Anyway, I used to play the TCG a lot when I was younger. I stopped playing about half-way through the EX series for MTG, though.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I've never played any TCG seriously. There's a certain flash-based TCG that I play regularly, but it has fairly simple mechanics, and not at all that many cards.

The TCG seems complicated to me because of all the supporting-type cards. Stuff like Claydol, search deck for X, draw X cards, etc.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Pokemon is quite simple though as a TCG though. No playing cards/doing anything during the opponents turn is what makes it easy enough.

The only two cards that require you to interrupt the opponent during their turn is TGI Power Spray, which stops a pokemon power from being used (unless the effect reads 'as many times as you like'), and an Alakazam card that does the same thing that I think is being rotated out anyway.

Claydol is being rotated out (it was from Great Encounters) and was a key 'tech' in almost every deck for draw power. Supporters and 'tech' cards like claydol which search or draw from your deck are needed for consistency.

For example, a seemingly dangerous start (like a lone Magikarp) that might see you lose in 1-2 turns can be saved just by having 'Pokemon Collector' in hand (Which allows you to search your deck for 3 basic pokemon).

finalark

SNORLAX
I have to agree, Vyse. The Pokemon TCG is pretty simple, especially when compared to other card games.

There's only three types of cards and the rules are generally straightforward enough to the point where situations rarely get too complected.

And at least in the Pokemon TCG you don't have to deal with crap like this:

Top Bottom