• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pro Impact BI-WEEKLIES - Calgary, AB

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
Yah Nitro, I really liked your use of the "Fence of Pain". It worked quite well and keeps the preasure on. And yes, the Nitrocides... oh the many, many Nitrocides. Did you get anyone else but me with 'em? I know you got me at least twice. Awesome stuff, man.

As for special requests, the Link ditto vs. Chris was my favorite match. Gotta love synchronized projectile spam! Awesome match. I hope to face Chris more often.

I don't know if it was recorded, but in the team battles, me and Jake vs. Brad and Levi, there was a moment where I sidestepped a stolen stichface causing it to hit the other teammate. That's one for the highlight reel, I would susepct! :D

And Randall never ceases to amaze me with his wavedashing... my goodness. I think I'm a safe distance away but before I can blink, Luigi is sliding towards me at mach-5 with his smash attack already in motion.

Nice to see John there too. Between all of you guys, there's such a diverse talant pool, that one cannot help but to improve his game. I appreciate every match, win or lose, as I learn something every time. (ie. don't get near Kirby when he's hanging out near the ledge...)

Look forward to the highlights and match uploads and I'll see you all next time!

kithkin

Smash Champion
hm yes... and chad i dont quite remember getting hit by a stitchface not thrown by you, and i know i didnt steal one.

hmmm. but yeah we all seem to be getting better, like when we firsted played john he owned us all and rarely less than 3 stocked, but now its close and in teams me and levi beat him and alex, so it shows the range or skill is very close.

and actually despite my different (and crappy) tactics, i'm getting better at what i do do, like i tech more now, i didnt once get hit by a nitro cide and killed him almost every time he tried, i've been getting good combos in without SHL and all that.

also getting good spikes and defenseive tactics.

wow yeah, i've improved a lot, yet i know it wasnt just me because i'm still losing a lot XD

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Pro Impact BI-WEEKLY Smash #3 - RESULTS

SINGLES

1: xpiritflare
2: Itch
3: RJM
4: JIN
5: Nitrocidal
6: kithkin
7: Mariownage
8: Jake

TEAMS

1: Nitrocidal & xpiritflare
2: Jake & Itch
3: kithkin & Mariownage
4: Pro Impact Low Tierable Warriors (JIN & RJM)

(YouTube)

I think this was the best tournament we've had yet and for the most part, everyone seems to have gotten over the initial nerves associated with playing outside your regular competition for the first time. Nitro in particular definitely stepped up to the plate this time around, as everyone observed.

I'd also like to send a shoutout to Young Link and Roy, who were both kind enough to guide Chris and I's team of low tier warriors to their first shameful last place blowout. Whoo! :043:

And one other thing I'd like to mention is concerning the results of this tournament. Now you guys were all quivering in your boots after our formidable new tournament attendee, xpiritflare, dominated you all at the weekend smashing prior to the biweekly. Plus, our highlight reels on YouTube are littered with fun comments like "this city sucks at Smash...these highlights suck...we'll see what happens when John plays." Pay no attention to things like that and don't let deconstructive negative feedback affect how you view the video.

We all know that I'm not making these highlight reels to impress other people or show off our skills. Instead, they are part of an overall effort to continually give us all something to strive for in Smash and develop the overall strength of the Calgary community. The Pro Impact Players happened to have the equipment and the initiative to put together fun little videos like these primarily for the people who participated in them, and secondarily for others who are interested in what we're doing.

So getting back to the results of the tournament, you'll notice that John did indeed win and deserves a hearty congratulations on his victory. :estatic: He is obviously a skilled player and knows a whole lot of tricks about the game a heckuva lot better than most of us do. But please, the last thing that's going to save you in a match against a more experienced player is starting the match off by talking about how hopeless it is and how absolutely sure you are that you're going to lose. If you're constantly caught in the mentality that your opponent is insurmountably stronger than you, all you've done is add more nails to your own coffin and more dirt to your grave. The first step to overcoming a stronger opponent is recognizing that the mental game is a far more dominant force than the technical one.

Yes, John won the tournament, but the matches that were played did not put all of our skills to shame as many of you expected them to. In fact, quite a few of them were quite close and among some of the best matches I have been present to witness. Don't be afraid of the mighty xpiritflare, but rather be observant and value the opportunity to test your mental endurance in a match by staying focused. Don't be afraid of Mich, even though Chris and I like to poke fun at the fact that the Ice Climbers usually destroy us. Don't even be afraid of Ken, because when you get down to it, no skill level in Smash is beyond your capacity.

Matches will be up over the next few days. :kirby: :pikachu:

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
Quite a few interesting highlights. First, the symmetricalink sequencve, and the stitchface cancel. I was glad that my sharking made it in there.

Lawl @ Brad still getting owned.

We all know that I'm not making these highlight reels to impress other people or show off our skills. Instead, they are part of an overall effort to continually give us all something to strive for in Smash and develop the overall strength of the Calgary community. The Pro Impact Players happened to have the equipment and the initiative to put together fun little videos like these primarily for the people who participated in them, and secondarily for others who are interested in what we're doing.
I agree. It's not like Calgary would go from having almost no smash community, to a great one. It will take time to work up to that. These Bi-weeklies are about generally imrovement and encouragement, not winnings, prize money, etc. The videos? Not to impress everyone, but to allow us to review, and get better.

I'd just like to thank the Pro-impact guys for taking the time out of their schedule to put these things on.

Everyone has a few things they can improve on. Myself, rolling, sefl destructs, and the uncanny ability to knee my teammate at will, are a few things I need to work out.

Anyway, next teams tournament it's goign to be Levi and his Bro, so me and Brad have to step up our Birds of Prey team.

Atlus the Dreadnaught

Smash Apprentice
THere is always going to be some ******* who has to nitpick or somehow prove his seemingly intellectual superiority or larger knowledge of what he thinks he knows to those around him. I ignore people like that and their comments because they aren't said with anything constructive in mind, he just needs to nitpick. So yeah, people are always going to bash what someone else does, and in this case the videos we make. I don't do things for other people to make me feel vindicated, so the videos are not done that way either. People are dumb, don't let it bother you.

xpiritflare

Smash Apprentice
Hehe, I knew I was going to be on the bad end in most of the clips in the highlight reel xD
It's really nice to see all of you getting better, especially when I saw it first hand ;) *coughAlexcough*

Everyone has a few things they can improve on. Myself, rolling, sefl destructs, and the uncanny ability to knee my teammate at will, are a few things I need to work out.
Those knees! :urg:

Anyway, next teams tournament it's goign to be Levi and his Bro, so me and Brad have to step up our Birds of Prey team.
Eh? Then I wonder who I'll be with... :confused:

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
Well, IF the same people as today come, there will be 9.

You
Me
Randall
Chris
Brad
Levi
Jake
Chad
And Riley.

There is a chance Jon might come (I don't know) and Mich might be there (Again, I have no idea).

Neil may also be able to make it. And there is a chance Jake might not be there.

Well, it'll be easier to work out when people start confirming.

But look on the bright side, at least your new partner won't knee you so much. XD

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
holy crap you guys post too much in this thread, anyways most definately appreciate the highlight keep up the good work with the editing :mario:

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Pro Impact BI-WEEKLY Smash #4 - Dec. 3rd, 2006

We will be hosting our fourth bi-weekly Smash session on Sunday, December 3rd, 2006.

For review:

Date: Sunday, December 3rd, 2006

Time: 1:00 PM

Place: #1, 103 Huntington Prk Grn NW

Contact No.: 869-3971

The telephone number above rings straight to my cell phone from a Calgary area code and I accept calls 24 hours a day...even from total strangers...so if you find yourself having nightmares at 4 in the morning and waking up in a cold sweat because you're not sure whether you can counterpick Rainbow Cruise at the next bi-weekly, have no fear! Just give me a ring and I'll roll haphazardly out of bed to answer your call. Maybe.

We would like to know who is attending before 1:00 actually rolls around too as well just in case we end up trying to seat 35 people who didn't sign up in one 3-bedroom home.

So, if you would like to attend, please post here. There will be a 16 player cap on this event and I will post the names of the confirmed and unconfirmed attendees below. If you find that all of a sudden it's Sunday and the bi-weekly starts in half an hour but you're still on the "unconfirmed" list, don't even worry about it. Unless we already have 16 confirmed players and another 6 on the waiting list before you, I'm sure we can find space.

NOTE: The unconfirmed list is loosely based on the attendees of the previous tournament.

CONFIRMED
  1. RJM
  2. JIN
  3. MICH
  4. Itch
  5. Nitrocidal
  6. Mariownage
  7. xpiritflare
  8. Rileyzor

UNCONFIRMED

kithkin

Smash Champion
hm, i'll go with anyone for teams, i mean it doesnt matter, i've noticed that the teams dont matter as to who wins, because when me and levi faced you (alex) and john, i was able to win one of the matches basically by myself (levi sorta went unconcious after a minute or two) (mainly kidding but in stats it was all me which is surprising in any case) (my main point is its surprising when it comes to teams and what people can do (*looks at chad*) (stop using brackets.)

but so far it seems alex has the top bid for me.

i sure hope i can come, who knows my family might suddenly attack me with cousins or family diner (uncles leaving on the 4th and that is many link a stroy'd)

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Toast Post

There is a chance Jon might come (I don't know) and Mich might be there (Again, I have no idea).
If you're referring to Jon the Samus player and honorary Pro Impact Player, I'm afraid we won't be seeing him for quite some time as he moved to inland British Columbia for an as-yet-uncertain period of time. However, he is armed with a Gamecube, so I think it's likely that he will compete again.

Hehe, I knew I was going to be on the bad end in most of the clips in the highlight reel xD
Lawl @ Brad still getting owned.
Nitro, the fact that I read that, paused, read it again and went back to watch the video to find out that it was, in fact, true is perhaps the funniest thing to happen to me all day. :laugh: However, he did have a brief combo on Chris that made the reel.

In the hopes of not conveying the image that anyone is being singled out, I'd just like to explain how I choose the footage that makes it into the highlight reel.

Haven't you ever been combo'ing the crap out of somebody so intensely that you wished you had a video camera? Have you ever been playing Peach and pulled thirty bob-ombs in a row (*sharp evil stare at Chad*) and wished you had it on film? The basic philosophy is to create a succinct and entertaining video that can showcase those moments if/when they occur and in the meantime, allow you to look back on the event positively. Even if you came to the tournament and got 4-stocked every match, there's no reason that you can't enjoy the highlights.

I also like to think that the footage I'm choosing fairly and accurately represents what the potential Calgary Smash community is turning into. In addition to the good KO's and flashy combos that make the final cut, I am also careful to include the fun things about the game that tend to get overlooked in competitive Smash. People who have been playing competitively for a long time are so hardened by the intensity of the scene that they can't appreciate some of our clips. Particularly things like unusually high numbers of beam sword pulls, characters clumsily falling into the path of the Great Fox's guns and even the synchronized Link ditto clip (which I will henceforth be calling the "Sink Sequence"). I already took some crap about my wall-teched fireball that didn't hit anyone in my Luigi video. Why? Because it didn't hit anyone.

Basically, screw those guys. :) They're not interested because it's all things that they've seen before and it's things that have nothing to do with skill. Well forget that, I'm out to make a fun and entertaining movie and if three hundred Mr. Saturns come rolling from out beneath Peach's dress, I'd say that counts!

So I've drifted off on a bit of a tangent here. After all, I came in trying to explain how I choose the clips for the highlight reel and ended up trying to justify my unorthodox video content to the entire world. Oops. :dizzy: Anyway, the only part I haven't addressed is the two posts I quoted above.

I try and be as fair as possible within my already bizarre criteria for selecting video clips so most everyone has a chance to make an appearance. For the third bi-weekly, I had cut down to 8 minutes and 46 seconds worth of highlight reel footage. Because 8 minutes is far too long a video for this sort of thing, many of the selected clips had to be cut right off the bat. Then, I also had to cut out certain clips that were too long or just didn't flow properly. Additionally, after adding the music, I had to conform to the time constraints of it as well. Brad actually had about 5 clips from the tournament in total out of the original batch. It just so happens that through editing it ended up being reduced to one in the final cut. Which is amusing given all the anticipation, but not intentional. :laugh:

John, it may appear to you as though you were on the receiving end of a lot of punishment in the highlight reel, but the reason for that is because you won. :) Since you lasted all the way to the final match, you played more matches than anyone excepting Chad. Naturally, there was more footage of you to draw from, both good and bad.

* Also, by including things like that, our videos can be appreciated by a larger audience because what they're watching isn't necessarily just the product of some giant, nerdy gaming community where we all speak Smashese and nothing else. For example, I showed The Luigi Getting Combo'd Video to a forty year-old man who had never even heard of a Gamecube.† As can be expected, most of it flew right over his head and it wasn't much more than a bunch of pretty colours. However, he did chuckle and laugh at a few of the goofier combos where Luigi was very obviously put in a pathetic state of helplessness at the hands of his enemies. By including the kind of footage that plays on the reactions of normal people as well, the videos can at least be moderately entertaining, even for those who do not play.

† Why would you want to appeal to non-smashers, you say? Well, I invest an awful lot of time and effort into this game and the overwhelmingly large community to which it is related. So when people ask me what I do with my time, I can't help but feel cheapened when listing competitive video game play in Smash as one of my hobbies. Most people do not understand quite what that entails. There is still a huge bracket of adults who shun video games in general, completely unaware that beneath the glossy-eyed five year-olds staying up past their bedtime playing Mario, there is a legitimate, organized and rewarding community of likeminded people who are doing what they love and are better people for it. Being able to produce a highly watchable, decently-edited video about it is irrefutable evidence that the community does exist and is legitimate. It's rewarding to be able to show that to other people and make it as appealing as possible for all audiences, thus furthering the great mission of getting Smash into worldwide exposure and ultimately, the Olympics...err...yes.

kithkin

Smash Champion
yeah and well honestly i dont care that much, i mean i have one, and i also have the fact that i owned levi who got second last time, and the fact that i know i wasnt repeatedly getting combo'd.

the highlights is highlights not a representation of skill.

kithkin

Smash Champion
heh, i wouldnt say that johns the best, he certainly is very good, but honestly it varies from time to time (i personally lose to him every time but) and he is evry good, but i'm sure someones better (sorry john) we just havnt witnessed it yet, and i mean dont go judging whos the best i mean come on.

and i agree calgary vs. edmonton, that would be good. (cept for the afct tha edmonton has well over double our people) and levi you're calgary now.

kithkin

Smash Champion
well its always interesting to hear an opinion, but whatever, i'd also perfer no big comments like that, cause it may lead to worst and stuff. (shut up, its not me)

and on an unrelated topic, i now have mice, thats just freaking wonderful

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
k guys here are my vows; i will play for calgary [if you want me to] whenever st albert or edmonton is not involved. im edmonton this time. i've only lived in calgary for like a couple monthes

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
... but you still live in Calgary right now, right? ;) Does that not make you Calgarian? Aw common... I know people from Edmonton are supposed to hate Calgary and vica-vera, but man... Edmonton has enough Smash players.

On a unrelated note, I'll be getting my very own copy of Smash really soon here! So I can practice now! Woo!

Because a tourney is no place to try out that new move you read about on some stupid fourm...

John's going down... ... (How's that for bold statements?)

LeeWanderer

Smash Cadet
I think this is so cool. You guys are building a community from nothing, getting better at Smash, making friends and creating some great stories to tell. This is exactly what I want to do in Lethbridge. Our first tournament is tomorrow, and we've got over 50 people preregistered. I really hope that I can build a similar kind of group from this. If we got a regular crew playing, do you think any of your crew would be interested in coming down here to play? We're just getting started, but it doesn't hurt to start networking early. :)

EDIT: By the way, how do you record your videos? I'd like to give it a shot once we get a regular group going.

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
John's going down... ... (How's that for bold statements?)
I've stated the exact same thing once. XD

On an unrelated note, I've noticed Randalls been putting up video's from the third Bi-weekly. THey're on Youtube, jsut check under hte ProImpact players account.

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
I think this is so cool. You guys are building a community from nothing, getting better at Smash, making friends and creating some great stories to tell. This is exactly what I want to do in Lethbridge.
Just find an outstanding guy (like Randall) to host tournies and bring people from all over the city together, all in the name of good fun and friendly compition. I'm positive I wouldn't be playing Smash right now if it wasn't for him.

So yah, step up to the plate and people will gather 'round you! Wish you luck in "The Windy City"!

xpiritflare

Smash Apprentice
Just find an outstanding guy (like Randall) to host tournies and bring people from all over the city together, all in the name of good fun and friendly compition. I'm positive I wouldn't be playing Smash right now if it wasn't for him.
Yep! Another thanks to Randall and the Pro Impact players as a whole!

FalseFalco

Smash Master
Yeah Nitro you blocked me after your tournament didn't you.

It's nice to see some other Albertans popping up.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
I think this is so cool. You guys are building a community from nothing, getting better at Smash, making friends and creating some great stories to tell. This is exactly what I want to do in Lethbridge. Our first tournament is tomorrow, and we've got over 50 people preregistered. I really hope that I can build a similar kind of group from this. If we got a regular crew playing, do you think any of your crew would be interested in coming down here to play? We're just getting started, but it doesn't hurt to start networking early. :)
Whoa whoa whoa whoa...you have a 50-person Smash tournament tomorrow in Lethbridge and WE don't know about it!? How did this happen!?

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
Yeah Nitro you blocked me after your tournament didn't you.

It's nice to see some other Albertans popping up.
No, you're still on my MSN. I talked to you the day after the second Bi-weekly. O_o

I only actually block people If I'm either being flamed, which noone, even from Edmonton has done, or if it's someone i know in real life that I hate.

kithkin

Smash Champion
hey it seems for the next bi-weeklie i would be missing a partner.

any offers? (i wanna try that peach/younglink+falco team, just cause it'd be interesting and very good for me to work some skills)

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
Dang, seems like my video request just missed the cut.

Eh, I'll try to get one next week. I'll do better, too.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa...you have a 50-person Smash tournament tomorrow in Lethbridge and WE don't know about it!? How did this happen!?
I'd like to second this statement. But yeah, it'd be great if we could face you guys sometime, I guess. Anyway, good luck with the tournament!

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Levi, all I know is that you've been frequenting a certain home with a large TV that may, or may not, be located in Calgary. I don't know, I'm not a doctor.

*This is Atlus/Jin/Chris. Auto logged in on Randall's account. Fun, it'll be good for the post count. :p

Top Bottom