• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388
Could Krystal be in the final newcomer reveal trailer?
And I have some ideas for new final smashes
Falco-Arwing Assault-Falco says "Personally I prefer the air", and gets into an Arwing, and flies around the stage, for ten seconds, Falco can fire the Arwing's lasers the occasional bomb
Wolf-Star Wolf-Wolf calls for backup, and Panther and Leon bombard the stage from the air
that's actually pretty cool! but the game needs hype at release time, so krystal could be without a video, or a Zelda person could be last.

Weavel

Smash Ace
I know we have stuff going for us, but if krystal isn't in the final product lets not be to heart broken, we have chances at dlc.

Morbi

Scavenger
But with the Gematsu leak probably dead...does that mean the DLC part's dead too ?
Not necessarily, Chrom was the only aspect of the leak refuted, the rest of the leak was merely contested. So assuming the leak is true (for the most part, of course), the DLC portion might be accurate. However, it is up to you do decide whether or not he had insider-information and to what extent.

It would be convenient for Krystal's chance as a playable character, that much is for sure.

Last edited:

Weavel

Smash Ace
Not necessarily, Chrom was the only aspect of the leak refuted, the rest of the leak was merely contested. So assuming the leak is true (for the most part, of course), the DLC portion might be accurate. However, it is up to you do decide whether or not he had insider-information and to what extent.

It would be convenient for Krystal's chance as a playable character, that much is for sure.
The leak Is false now, anything is possible now.

How many more characters are left? 4?

Last edited:

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
Yeah, I would feel so much better knowing character DLC was a thing for sure. It is very strange that they have yet to commentate on that particular aspect of the game.

I would have expected them to talk about DLC by now... Like, only two months until release or something like that, right ? Krystal's chances would be near100% to me. I see DLC as additions that would be profitable to Nintendo, and popular characters from well-known franchises are the way to go in that regard, if you want many people buying them.

NewGuy79

Smash Journeyman
But with the Gematsu leak probably dead...does that mean the DLC part's dead too ?
I dont think so, many due to the fact that its been mentioned by other sources as well. i.e. I think Sakurai has gone on record stating that he's considering and trying to figure out a way to make it "work"

Yeah, I would feel so much better knowing character DLC was a thing for sure. It is very strange that they have yet to commentate on that particular aspect of the game.

I would have expected them to talk about DLC by now... Like, only two months until release or something like that, right ? Krystal's chances would be near100% to me. I see DLC as additions that would be profitable to Nintendo, and popular characters from well-known franchises are the way to go in that regard, if you want many people buying them.
ya this and other reasons makes DLC seem like a no brainer for me, announced or not.

Last edited:

Weavel

Smash Ace

Dlc Is definitely going to happen, it would be like making a street fighter iv sequel with no plans of dlc and the size of the original roaster. Its just madness with it being as popular as it is and how they have the technology to get it done now.

Not to mention how much money they could make of it, remember this game started a whole original fighting concept in itself that even Sony and digimon have copied to make games of their own.

Last edited:

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
That's a reassurance. It means I can still hope for many of my wanted characters who are kinda 'next in line' if their series were to receive another character.

Thanks for the confirmation, I didn't know several sources had discussed the possibility. I hope for lots of costumes as well, like in the Warriors series.

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
that's actually pretty cool! but the game needs hype at release time, so krystal could be without a video, or a Zelda person could be last.
if they really wanted to hype up a Smash game, they certainly wouldn't use Krystal. She pretty irrelevant atm when you compare her to the rest of the current newcomers. She hasn't been in a game in over 8 years (thats almost a decade). As a side character in Star Fox... she would at least need to make another notable appearance for her to be considered somewhat likely.

I mean... the only newcomer i could compare her to is Palutena who is a side character of Kid Icarus. Only difference is that Palutena has made a recent appearance, has some fan demand (i know ppl who weren't surprised that she was in), and was in a game Sakurai worked on himself.... So she had alot helping her chances... with Krystal, there is not much going for her other than a small fan following on a couple forums.

Theres nothing about her that makes her a "high profile" gaming character that must be included in Smash. Shes not a retro character with an iconic legacy (Pacman, Little Mac, Megaman) nor does she have the flavor of month thing going for her (Greninja, Rosalina). Shes just not that important to nintendo. It'd be easy to see why she'd be excluded from the roster.

Last edited:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Sakurai has mentioned in various interviews that his team could probably produce roughly 20 new characters (although I'm not sure he was referring to Smash in general, or this specific iteration).

I suspect, since we have 11 newcomers, that we'd have around 8 left at best. There are probably going to be a few hidden characters that aren't revealed until after the game is launched as well.

This doesn't count the possibility of DLC.

ImOnlyHereToTalkStarFox

Smash Journeyman
if they really wanted to hype up a Smash game, they certainly wouldn't use Krystal. She pretty irrelevant atm when you compare her to the rest of the current newcomers. She hasn't been in a game in over 8 years (thats almost a decade). As a side character in Star Fox... she would at least need to make another notable appearance for her to be considered somewhat likely.

I mean... the only newcomer i could compare her to is Palutena who is a side character of Kid Icarus. Only difference is that Palutena has made a recent appearance, has some fan demand (i know ppl who weren't surprised that she was in), and was in a game Sakurai worked on himself.... So she had alot helping her chances... with Krystal, there is not much going for her other than a small fan following on a couple forums.

Theres nothing about her that makes her "high profile" gaming character that must be included in Smash. Shes not a retro character with an iconic legacy (Pacman, Little Mac, Megaman) nor does she have the flavor of month thing going for her (Greninja, Rosalina). Shes just not that important to nintendo. It'd be easy to see why she'd be excluded from the roster.
Is this person serious?? Love interest, btw that new kid Icarus game could've been a new star fox game. Small Fan base? Your wrong there. Command endings. Sakurai is fully aware of the star fox series and Krystal. She was highly requested female character pre brawl. The only thing you got right there is that she hasn't been in a recent game and that talk about retro which really you can't compare most newcomers to them. She is important to the star fox series as a member of the star fox team.

Last edited:

Weavel

Smash Ace

Theres nothing about her that makes her "high profile" gaming character that must be included in Smash. Shes not a retro character with an iconic legacy (Pacman, Little Mac, Megaman) nor does she have the flavor of month thing going for her (Greninja, Rosalina). Shes just not that important to nintendo. It'd be easy to see why she'd be excluded from the roster.
Sakurai wants characters with unique fighting styles, krystal undeniable fits in that category she was the main protagonist of a game he called a cease and desist order on for them to make a next gen game. Sakurai has bloody memories on his hand for this and I would think he would want to include her for even one of those 2 reasons.

Last edited:

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
Is this person serious?? :joyful:
yep. You'd be crazy to say 8 years without making an appearance in a game and being a side character of a not-so-popular series doesn't mean anything.

Sakurai wants characters with unique fighting styles, krystal undeniable fits in that category it was the main protagonist of a game he called a cease and desist order on for them to make a next gen game. Sakurai has bloody memories on his hand for this and I would think he would want to include her for even one of those 2 reasons.
Just cause a character would seem like they might have a unique fighting style (if included) doesn't mean they'll get one... I don't see how ppl can act like she'd 100% get a staff if she was in Smash.... Sakurai could make her another clone like the other three if he wanted to.... or make her entire differently without a staff.. You have no way of knowing that she would bring something unique to Smash. Sakurai literally made up a moveset for Captain Falcon and Greninja.... so pretty much any and every random character whether it be Ditto, Toad, or Duck Hunt Dog could bring a unique moveset...

as for the rest of your post. i have no idea what you're talking about.

Last edited:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace

Here's the problem: We can't say anything about relevance when it comes to Star Fox (well we could, but it wouldn't get us far). Command is technically the last new addition to the franchise. She was in it. Yes, we could debate the fact that Command came out 8 years ago.

However, I think many people don't understand the thought processes that have transpired during the development of nearly every Star Fox game. The franchise is unique not in the sense that it is just a major Nintendo franchise, but in the sense that it has become a franchise that will clearly (after Command, given Miyamoto's recent interviews) attempt to innovate before its release. This is why Miyamoto stated that he has been working on the conceptual phase of the new Star Fox game for over 6 years. For better or for worse, this is the truth.

This is not the first time Star Fox was used to innovate (even so, we don't know too many details on what they're planning to do for the Wii U Star Fox game). Check out the history of Star Fox, as it might surprise you. Pay close attention to certain details for Star Fox on the SNES and on the 64; focus on the details pertaining to their respective innovation. You'll see what I mean.

This franchise is near and dear to Nintendo's heart. Whether or not it's popular (which it arguably is, having a combined franchise sales of roughly 11 Million, even with just 7-8 games, as well as having a considerably passionate following) among the fans hasn't detracted from Star Fox's Smash representation.

In the end, it's up to Sakurai and his team to decide who will make it and who won't. All we can do is support the characters we'd like to see in Smash, and the rest becomes history.

Last edited:

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
Not so popular series?

Get out.
But its true. The series experienced a fall from grace and haven't had any new games released till they announced the new Wii U game. To say that isn't true would be quite.... delusional.

I admit the Star Fox 64 game was pretty iconic and popular (a game Krystal wasn't in i might add)

but the recent releases haven't sold that well.

Last edited:

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
There was a point when Krystal was the most demanded female character for Brawl after an official Smash Poll.

Of course that died down a bit, but Sakurai had to be aware of what was going for her. Obviously her popularity died down though, she wasn't in the game. Now that people See that there's potential to include her, they've started showing support. The Krystal fanbase has never been small, mind you. I have seen TONS of fake rosters and wishlists with her name. YouTube comments, petitions, she has a lot more going for her than you think.

That's why the Lylat Cruise Easter Egg intrigued me so much. Was that playful little remark harmless? Or was Sakurai aware of the popularity and decided that he'd make her playable in the next game? It left more questions than answers.

@ DarkKry4 DarkKry4 Over 4 million copies on the Gamecube alone isn't poor sales.
(At least from what I've read. Feel free to disprove me.)

Last edited:

Weavel

Smash Ace
But its true. The series experienced a fall from grace and haven't had any new games released till they announced the new Wii U game. To say that isn't true would be quite.... delusional.

I admit the Star Fox 64 game was pretty iconic and popular (a game Krystal wasn't in i might add)

Oh my ****ing god, you uneducated full of sh- no.. no I'll stop myself. They haven't released a ****ing new entry because they wanted to do something new and innovative with the series. ****ing kid icarus's flying segments was from a canceled star fox game because it didnt bring anything new to the formula. And they did ****ing sell well, omfg do you get your info from a gaming version of fox news?

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Sakurai wants characters with unique fighting styles, krystal undeniable fits in that category she was the main protagonist of a game
She was the main character for a baby tier 10 minute tutorial.

Also about the bloody hands comment, Is that how you see it? Bloody memories on his hands for something that's taken out of proportion by her fans? Sakurai shouldn't have to pander to anyone. Just let the man do what he does best.

Last edited:

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
There was a point when Krystal was the most demanded female character for Brawl after an official Smash Poll.

Of course that died down a bit, but Sakurai had to be aware of what was going for her. Obviously her popularity died down though, she wasn't in the game. Now that people See that there's potential to include her, they've started showing support. The Krystal fanbase has never been small, mind you. I have seen TONS of fake rosters and wishlists with her name. YouTube comments, petitions, she has a lot more going for her than you think.

That's why the Lylat Cruise Easter Egg intrigued me so much. Was that playful little remark harmless? Or was Sakurai aware of the popularity and decided that he'd make her playable in the next game? It left more questions than answers.

@ DarkKry4 DarkKry4 Over 4 million copies on the Gamecube alone isn't poor sales.
i heard there was no "official" Smash poll for Brawl... Unless you provide a link, i can't take that claim seriously.

but in regards to the sales... i've read all about it: Miyamoto Talks Star Fox's Dwindling Sales

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
This is exactly why Miyamoto is intending to have the series innovate before another game is produced. After Star Fox 64 (Star Fox Adventures is debatable, because it did officially introduce on-ground to the franchise, though I might say it wasn't the right on-ground execution for the series), the franchise detracted from innovating. Thus, the sales have been suffering.

Miyamoto has been working on the new Star Fox game for roughly 6 years on the Wii. He actually went on to say that he transferred the conceptualization to the Wii U, mainly because the Wii is now practically an obsolete platform to develop new games on.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
So it sounds like the lack of a Star Fox game for the 6-7 years before the roster was figured out might not hurt Krystal's chances after all. It could fall on whether Sakurai thinks she could add enough to Smash as a character to make up for her lack of relevance lately. Still seems to be up in the air, though.

And I've always considered Adventures to be a gaiden game to the main series. It's a different, standalone thing assimilated from what was originally a solitary franchise, but still more canonical than, say, Command's alternate endings.

Last edited:

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
This is exactly why Miyamoto is intending to have the series innovate before another game is produced. After Star Fox 64 (Star Fox Adventures is debatable, because it did officially introduce on-ground to the franchise, though I might say it wasn't the right on-ground execution for the series), the franchise detracted from innovating. Thus, the sales have been suffering.

Miyamoto has been working on the new Star Fox game for roughly 6 years on the Wii. He actually went on to say that he transferred the conceptualization to the Wii U, mainly because the Wii is now practically an obsolete platform to develop new games on.
I agree.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
@ DarkKry4 DarkKry4 Ok, so basically, the official Smash Dojo held a poll for which characters were desired for the game. These were the overall most requested and seen:

http://smashboards.com/threads/characters-on-sakurais-poll.71872/

From the list, Krystal was the most desired female based off of the amounts you'll find at the lower part of the page. You probably couldn't find the poll because it's LOONG gone.

Last edited:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Ok, so basically, the official Smash Dojo held a poll for which characters were desired for the game. These were the overall most requested and seen:

From the list, Krystal was the most desired female based off of the amounts you'll find at the lower part of the page. You probably couldn't find the poll because it's LOONG gone.
Oh nvm, I thought you were referring to links for Miyamoto's insight on development for the new Star Fox game. xD

My bad.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945

You shouldn't put too much thought into the lylat cruise conversation. Krystal was just the person on the team who got in the last word wanting to fight. If the order was switched around between her Slippy and Peppy, and Slippy was the one who got the last word with Krystal's exact dialog than people wouldn't use this desperate excuse for an "easter egg" as a plus for her chances in smash 4.

As far as her popularity, well you should thank the West for obvious reasons. Yes I went there.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
You shouldn't put too much thought into the lylat cruise conversation. Krystal was just the person on the team who got in the last word wanting to fight. If the order was switched around between her Slippy and Peppy, and Slippy was the one who got the last word with Krystal's exact dialog than people wouldn't use this desperate excuse for an "easter egg" as a plus for her chances in smash 4.

As far as her popularity, well you should thank the West for obvious reasons. Yes I went there.
The last word is often the most powerful...

*Drops Mic, turns away from Camera. Stage dives.*

ImOnlyHereToTalkStarFox

Smash Journeyman

Peppy=Barrel Roll/old might as well add cranky kong
Slippy= mechanic
Krystal=Fighter/smash candidate/more requested
They are all pilots so I'll leave it out.
If it was switched around? Well it wasn't...

Last edited:

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Peppy=Barrel Roll/old might as well add cranky kong
Slippy= mechanic
Krystal=Fighter/smash candidate/more requested
They are all pilots so I'll leave it out.
If it was switched around? Well it wasn't...
Slippy is my number two after Krystal. I root for Krystal more simply because she is that missing puzzle piece to the franchise set. Main Protagonist, Antagonist/ Anti-Hero, Sidekick, Love interest. Fits the bill and would match a familiar series in the roster.

I wouldn't discredit Slippy completely to be honest. He has merits of his own, but in terms of representation, Krystal just makes more sense.

Last edited:

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
@ DarkKry4 DarkKry4 Ok, so basically, the official Smash Dojo held a poll for which characters were desired for the game. These were the overall most requested and seen:

oh yeah. I've seen this. It wasn't exactly a poll... more like ppl suggesting characters to him (on a comment page or forum perhaps? i'm not sure)

It just means 3 ppl suggested her to Sakurai... which i don't think is that big a deal. Geno and Ridley had 4 suggestions and they still have yet to be in a game (and we all know how popular Ridley is in the west but for whatever reasons he made him a boss in Brawl instead)

ImOnlyHereToTalkStarFox

Smash Journeyman
oh yeah. I've seen this. It wasn't exactly a poll... more like ppl suggesting characters to him (on a comment page or forum perhaps? i'm not sure)

It just means 3 ppl suggested her to Sakurai... which i don't think is that big a deal. Geno and Ridley had 4 suggestions and they still have yet to be in a game (and we all know how popular Ridley is in the west but for whatever reasons he made him a boss in Brawl instead)
You left out the people who were suggested and got in...Don't leave them out.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337

It still was official and noted. Geno had no chance due to company differences and Ridley was already planned to be a boss for story purposes. I will agree it's not much but he was still grown aware.

I've also read that he's seen polls from other sources, which Krystal was frequently associated with. Again, another internet read that could be false, but I know for a fact that Sakurai looks to various sources to determine who is trendy. Wolf was selected due to Japan popularity. Now Krystal is still popular and has the West on her side.

Last edited:
Top Bottom