• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
I do not see why Krystal gets so much hate, overall her abilities different from the usually ray-gun carrying, deflector shield, fire fox boosty boost, Land Master summoning Animals we already have. She has a staff, machine gun, & FRICKEN DINOSAURS!
LEAVE KRYSTAL ALONE!
lol

D

Deleted member

I do not see why Krystal gets so much hate, overall her abilities different from the usually ray-gun carrying, deflector shield, fire fox boosty boost, Land Master summoning Animals we already have. She has a staff, machine gun, & FRICKEN DINOSAURS!
LEAVE KRYSTAL ALONE!
lol
I like Krystal, but telling people to leave her alone is not a good idea. She is to be subjected to scrutiny just like every other potential newcomer here.

D

Deleted member

LEAVE KRYSTAL ALONE!
lol
Again with the "staff means no clone" story. I'm tired of hearing it.
It does not matter if she has a staff, she can easily be another Wolf while using it. (By which I mean, normal attacks not derived from Fox, but Specials are.)

Can she shoot things? Yes. The staff shoots firebolts instead of lasers, but they can be fired the same way.
Can she "flash step"? Logically speaking, yes. You can even add the staff's ice projection powers to give it a unique flair. An Ice Dash if you will.
Can she boost upwards? Yes. It's called Rocket Boost, an ability the staff has in-game.
Can she reflect things with a barrier? Yes. The staff has a barrier power.
Can she use a Landmaster? Yes.

So what does this show? That Krystal can *gasp* be another semi-clone even WITH the staff that people claim she would be completely unique while using! "Strange, isn't it? :sonic:"
Now granted, I'm not arguing that Krystal would be a semi-clone, but I'm dispelling the arugment that she won't or can't be one.

"But what about the Ground Quake?" Down Smash. :troll:
Even with the staff, she can easily be the same.
As for machine gun, didn't Fox, Falco, and Wolf have the ability to use one also in the same game Krystal does....? Hmm....guess that can't be used to say she's different....
Dinosaurs, I'll give ya that. But if Wolf is not known to use Landmasters in canon...(only in Assault's multiplayer)....what would stop Sakurai from giving Krystal one as well?

If it isn't obvious, I'm tired of people saying "she can't be the same" or "she's different" just because of the staff. As I previously stated, the staff can very easily turn her into another Wolf (as in, specials based off Fox's, but other moves are unique).

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
Even with the staff, she can easily be the same.
As for machine gun, didn't Fox, Falco, and Wolf have the ability to use one also in the same game Krystal does....? Hmm....guess that can't be used to say she's different....
Dinosaurs, I'll give ya that. But if Wolf is not known to use Landmasters in canon...(only in Assault's multiplayer)....what would stop Sakurai from giving Krystal one as well?

If it isn't obvious, I'm tired of people saying "she can't be the same" or "she's different" just because of the staff. As I previously stated, the staff can very easily turn her into another Wolf (as in, specials based off Fox's, but other moves are unique).

But do they use it in any of the Smash Bros games??? NOPE
So that's one thing Sakurai can add to her character that the other's didn't have an opportunity to get.

Your point about the landmaster well...
[COLLAPSE="Maybe because she has....umm dinosaurs.."]
[/COLLAPSE]

D

Deleted member

Yeah, no.
Whereas Falco started as a Fox clone, so he wasn't changed too much to prevent alienating his players, Wolf was a clean slate, and could've easily been given Assault weapons and his team as a Final Smash, yet was given specials similar to Fox and even a Landmaster.

The moral of the story? Just because Krystal CAN be different doesn't mean she WILL be. Wolf proved this already. The fact she can easily be similar as I have stated, makes her situation bleak.

@Waluigi: At the rate Sakurai was going, we would've had 4 Light Arrows. I really wouldn't put it past him to make a 4th Landmaster at this point.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Yeah, no.
Whereas Falco started as a Fox clone, so he wasn't changed too much to prevent alienating his players, Wolf was a clean slate, and could've easily been given Assault weapons and his team as a Final Smash, yet was given specials similar to Fox and even a Landmaster.

The moral of the story? Just because Krystal CAN be different doesn't mean she WILL be. Wolf proved this already. The fact she can easily be similar as I have stated, makes her situation bleak.

@Waluigi: At the rate Sakurai was going, we would've had 4 Light Arrows. I really wouldn't put it past him to make a 4th Landmaster at this point.
You are correct that there is a chance for Krystal to be a clone but what are the chances for Ganondorf to have Captain Falcon's moveset? Then what are the chances of him keeping a near identical moveset in the next game? It's not like he doesn't have moveset potential. If you go by this then its possible for Issac from Golden Sun to be a Marth clone, or Saki could be a Zamus clone.

I'm gonna repeat what I've said before: Krystal with unique staff playstyle, awesome & Krystal with a recycled moveset, terrible waste of space. StarFox isn't a franchise that has had an impact on Nintendo either; I mean its last game was a remake.

6 games for 4 characters that share a similar playstyle, no thank u.

:phone:
Well F-Zero has 9 games and only one rep while Mother has 2 very similar reps and only 3 games. It's not like F-Zero doesn't have many character options like Metroid. I don't think anyone wants Krystal to be like the other Starfox characters but she could really stand out in Smash and be pretty awesome.

D

Deleted member

You are correct that there is a chance for Krystal to be a clone but what are the chances for Ganondorf to have Captain Falcon's moveset? Then what are the chances of him keeping a near identical moveset in the next game? It's not like he doesn't have moveset potential. If you go by this then its possible for Issac from Golden Sun to be a Marth clone, or Saki could be a Zamus clone.
Not the point I was trying to make.
I'm not arguing that she's going to be one. I'm arguing against what people say about how she can't be one just because of the staff.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
I'm not arguing that she's going to be one. I'm arguing against what people say about how she can't be one just because of the staff.
Don't Forget the dinosaurs, & the machine gun....that nobody has...& answer me this, when has a Female Character ever cloned a male character, let alone another character period in Smash Bros?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The whole Krystal for Smash Bros. thing is in general so shallow, isn't it? "She has a stick and won't be a clone like other Star Fox characters!" seems to be the only reason why people support Krystal. Ether that or the fact that she's the obligatory one dimensional fan service character of the series, and for some reason that makes her a shoe in.

D

Deleted member

Don't Forget the dinosaurs, & the machine gun....that nobody has...& answer me this, when has a Female Character ever cloned a male character, let alone another character period in Smash Bros?
As I already said, the machine gun is a moot point, as you could literally give that to ANY StarFox or StarWolf member. Hell, give it to Falco or Wolf to make them a bit more different.

And well, what stopped Wolf from using the machine gun, as his artwork had him holding one? (Krystal's holding a gatling gun, btw. Nearly the same weapon, but still a notable difference considering it's Wolf who's holding the weapon you keep repeating Krystal has.)

Or even better. Let's add Slippy. "BUT HE'D BE A CLONE UNLIKE KRYSTAL" Nope. Artwork shows him with the grenades and machine gun; none of the StarFox characters use those in Smash. There's also the other weapons that they don't use that he could use instead, even a jetpack and cloaking device (he is also credited for cloaking Fox and Falco for a Melee Event Match.)

"BUT LANDMASTER" Yeah, Slippy can use a Landmaster. But he could ALSO use the Blue Marine. This would go along so well if they also change Falco's to an Arwing. That way the land animal uses a land machine, the flying animal uses a flying machine, and the aquatic animal uses an aquatic machine.
Slippy's also been around longer, is more iconic to the series (I don't seem to remember being able to purchase Krystal in the older version of Nintendo Monoply...but I do remember Slippy.), and unlike Krystal, he isn't another humanoid furry creature, since he's a frog. We don't have any frogs in Smash.

As for what I underlined, it is irrelevant to the argument, since I can easily counter with when has a StarFox Newcomer ever been completely unique to Fox, let alone with a special weapon?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Isn't your point though that she could be another Wolf - who isn't a clone? She may have a couple similar specials as the other three furries since the staff itself has those abilities, but two or three similar moves doesn't make a clone. Sakurai hasn't ADDED a clone since Melee, and there's no reason to now.

So, let's see, in terms of what's important to Smash, Krystal basically IS her staff, which means she's a pretty crappy character so she probably wouldn't be added anyhow, BUT IF SHE WAS then she would definitely use the staff, and she wouldn't be a clone because there's no reason to add clones. Yes, that sounds right.

D

Deleted member

There are very different definitions of clones and semi-clones per person.

Also, the argument in question is that people think Krystal would be completely unique with the staff, as in not derived from Fox at all. It can still happen.

And by technicality with what you describe, that means there is no real clone, not even in Melee. Sure, they may have similar moves, but they all have different properties.
The only "real" clone then is Overalls Wario. :troll:

EDIT: This is of course me being a smartass about how you don't label Toon Link as a clone despite having much more than a few moves that are similar to his non-Toon counterpart. Luigi has less moves in common to Mario in comparison.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
People also forget that she has psychic powers as well. Though they've only shown her telepathy but she could have more. So she has...

High tech/magical staff
psychic abilities
access to high tech gadgets
Dinosaurs

I feel that she has a bit to work with in the lines of movesets.

As for importance she is one of the most central characters second only to fox. When Falco leaves the Starfox team stays together but when she left in the prologue of Command the whole team fell appart. Most of the Command endings involved her as well. Whether it be rejoining Starfox, following Star wolf and becoming Kursed, or even leading a squadron in defending Corneria she was pretty central to the plot.

So she isn't a simple side character that looks awesome.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't think Golden is arguing that she can't have a totally unique moveset, just that even with her staff and her psychic powers she could still end up a semi-clone, which is unfortunate but true.

I don't think very many (logical) people would argue that she couldn't be unique, but just because she can doesn't mean she will. Personally, I think there is a greater chance of not getting Krystal at all than having her as a semi-clone (just due to the amount of movesets already partially similar to Fox -- plus she's not as popular as she once was), but I admit that it is a possibility.

And just because somebody has the potential to be very unique with a totally original playstyle, doesn't mean they will be spared from being a clone/semi-clone. Remember Ganondorf?

Also, while importance (of which Krystal's is debatable) might help towards chances of inclusion, it doesn't necessarily help in chances of a unique moveset. If a character with importance to their series on the level of Luigi and Ganondorf can be clones, then Krystal can sure be a semi-clone.

D

Deleted member

People also forget that she has psychic powers as well. Though they've only shown her telepathy but she could have more. So she has...

High tech/magical staff
psychic abilities
access to high tech gadgets
Dinosaurs

I feel that she has a bit to work with in the lines of movesets.

As for importance she is one of the most central characters second only to fox. When Falco leaves the Starfox team stays together but when she left in the prologue of Command the whole team fell appart. Most of the Command endings involved her as well. Whether it be rejoining Starfox, following Star wolf and becoming Kursed, or even leading a squadron in defending Corneria she was pretty central to the plot.

So she isn't a simple side character that looks awesome.
She's only a telepath. Giving her telekinesis out of nowhere just because she might have more than that doesn't make sense, and is ripping off Mewtwo's gimmick.
Also, Command was a horrible game and stated to be non-canon by the StarFox developers themselves. While "central", she was pretty much the cause of most of the drama within the game to which her character was protrayed as an overall horrible person that no one should like (the ending where no one likes her suits her well).

As for the "second only to Fox" thing, people WAAAAY overstate Krystal's importance to the series.

Waluigi

Smash Apprentice
stated to be non-canon by the StarFox developers themselves.
REALLY!!? :) *sheds manly tears of joy*
Thank God
That game was terrible krystal was a focal point of the drama but the whole thing story, gameplay everything was just horrible. Now i'm more excited for star fox wii u.

Also her importance is a bit exaggerated but i don't think anyone can deny she is next in line if star fox does get a fourth rep.

D

Deleted member

Can't deny it. Unless people start seeing Slippy for what he's really worth.
But given that people are too distracted by the boobs...that doesn't seem likely to happen anytime soon. :/

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I don't know, an anthropomorphic frog with a machine gun would be kind of awesome. At least more so then a anthropomorphic blue fox flailing a stick around.

Waluigi

Smash Apprentice
Slippy: "fox Help!!"
*shoots down enemy*
Slippy: "thanks fox"
3 seconds later
Slippy: "Fox Help!!"
*shoots down enemy*
Slippy: "Thanks fox"
3 seconds later
Slippy: "Fox help!!"
Player: -_-

Seriously i HATE that guy why him of all people...animal...frog...things??

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Poor Golden with all the Krystal fans who think he is negative about all of her.

Krystal would have an original moveset.

Just like how Toon Link could.

But she would have the staff.

Just like how Sheik has a knife and Falcon has a gun.

It's not hard to understand,she could,but she's not guaranted to be original.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Can't deny it. Unless people start seeing Slippy for what he's really worth.
But given that people are too distracted by the boobs...that doesn't seem likely to happen anytime soon. :/
That's the trouble with a lot of females. They're often depicted having big breasts, which obviously makes them different from the males.

Anyway, one of the Lylat Cruise conversations had Krystal imply that she'd be a better fighter than Peppy and Slippy, which may not be too far off.

D

Deleted member

And Resetti implied that he'd be a better fighter than all of Brawl's cast.
It's merely bravado that shouldn't be looked into that much.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I'd like to share this with everyone:

So, if you want to grace me with your time and effort to show me why you're all Krystal lovers, that'd be awesome. Maybe show something she did in a game that was inspiring and you can't wait to see it in Smash? Maybe more background and bio? If you don't want to that's fine.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
She's only a telepath. Giving her telekinesis out of nowhere just because she might have more than that doesn't make sense, and is ripping off Mewtwo's gimmick.
Also, Command was a horrible game and stated to be non-canon by the StarFox developers themselves. While "central", she was pretty much the cause of most of the drama within the game to which her character was protrayed as an overall horrible person that no one should like (the ending where no one likes her suits her well).

As for the "second only to Fox" thing, people WAAAAY overstate Krystal's importance to the series.
You mean Mewtwo's, Ness', and Lucas' gimmick? Ness and Lucas used moves in smash that they couldn't even do in their game. So I think Sakurai can take some liberties on that.

Also the designers have "hinted" that the endings are not canon and not the whole game. They've mention that if the series continues it will start in the middle of Command and provide a new ending all together. Only gamers have suggested it was non canon only because Pigma and Oikonney (presumed dead) were in the game.

I don't see where she was a "horrible" person since Fox told her he didn't want her fighting which she did. So she left and join star wolf. Now granted the star wolf ending did make her seem rather cold hearted but isn't that the point of joining the bad guys? And the part where she leads the other female pilots in defending corneria she seem perfectly fine.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
You mean Mewtwo's, Ness', and Lucas' gimmick? Ness and Lucas used moves in smash that they couldn't even do in their game. So I think Sakurai can take some liberties on that.

Also the designers have "hinted" that the endings are not canon and not the whole game. They've mention that if the series continues it will start in the middle of Command and provide a new ending all together. Only gamers have suggested it was non canon only because Pigma and Oikonney (presumed dead) were in the game.

I don't see where she was a "horrible" person since Fox told her he didn't want her fighting which she did. So she left and join star wolf. Now granted the star wolf ending did make her seem rather cold hearted but isn't that the point of joining the bad guys? And the part where she leads the other female pilots in defending corneria she seem perfectly fine.
For the sake of giving her a unique move set, it could still be done without the telekinesis. Gimmick or not it still wouldn't make sense at all. If Sakurai can't make use of her telepathic ability for her move set, then no telepathy for Krystal. It's not like telepathy could help her in Smash any way. And giving her telekinesis would be a big WTF.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sakurai has made moves for characters that have been more random than Krystal using telekinesis, however I agree it's really not necessary to implement any of her psychic powers to create a unique moveset for her that already represents her well.

That's the trouble with a lot of females. They're often depicted having big breasts, which obviously makes them different from the males.
To be fair, most female Nintendo characters' breasts aren't as big or emphasized nearly as much as characters from other series and other companies. Krystal I can't defend as much, considering she's been sexualized more than the average Nintendo female character, but most Nintendo females haven't. It's usually fanart that depics them with larger breasts.

And honestly, there is usually a larger demographic of people who prefer to play as males than females (in part to due to the ratio of male to female players, the age of the male players, and ratio of male to female characters), with the people playing as females usually just because they like the character herself or her playstyle, not because she has boobs. While there are a few people who might request characters like Krystal because, "shes hawt and haz boobs", honestly I think more people request her because they like her design (not in a sexual way), like her series, like her as a character (minus Command :rolleyes:) and would enjoy what she could bring to Smash, like I do, or for some other non-"furry" reason. Perhaps I'm just being an optimist though. :ohwell:

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Maybe people want krystal because she can have a different playstyle using her Staff, unlike Falco that now is a luigified clone from Fox!

D

Deleted member

Those moves were borrowed from their teammates, and Sakurai gives the excuse that their friends taught them the moves for Smash. (I'm not kidding. It's even referred to in their Final Smash trophies.)
Different situation than turning telepathy into telekinesis for the sake of being "different". She can already be different without being given random telekinesis. It's not like Captain Falcon where there is little to work with.

I've heard otherwise in that future StarFox titles would take place right after Assault, leaving Command to be non-canon. Can you please point out to me where they said it would pick up in the middle of Command and create a new ending?

I've heard that she makes a nasty remark about James McCloud to Fox, which is as low as anyone can get. It's never ok to talk crap about someone's deceased (or not; even that is ambiguous) father that you haven't even met before his death just because you're upset about that someone who's concerned for your safety. If this is false, tell me please.

Responses in red.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Can I have a source confirming that Command isn't canon? The last I heard it was kind of up in the air, and would seemingly be proven by the next Starfox game, which six years later we still haven't gotten. :glare:

Also, like Golden said, is there a source confirming that the series will continue from the middle of Command, because that seems like something very unlikely to be said by anybody.

GoldenYuiitusin said:
I've heard that she makes a nasty remark about James McCloud to Fox, which is as low as anyone can get. It's never ok to talk crap about someone's deceased (or not; even that is ambiguous) father that you haven't even met before his death just because you're upset about that someone who's concerned for your safety. If this is false, tell me please.
I don't recall her saying anything like this in my playthroughs, but I didn't have the patience to play through Command enough times to get all the endings, so she might've said it in one I didn't get. Also, I never got the endings where she turned evil, changed her name, and/or joined Star Wolf cause I thought (and still think) that's stupid. :laugh:

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
I'd heard that any new game would have to start in the middle of Command so as to continue the story without making any one ending canon.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'd heard that any new game would have to start in the middle of Command so as to continue the story without making any one ending canon.
That may be true, but honestly I've mostly heard that either one ending will be canon or the whole game will be confirmed as non-canon, which seems to make more sense than starting a game in the middle of another game. It just seems like that is a very unlikely method to choose, so I don't really believe it until I get a source. Do you have one?

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Or maybe they will continue after one of the endings, maybe even two, spliting the timeline much like Zelda

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Or maybe they will continue after one of the endings, maybe even two, spliting the timeline much like Zelda
Considering there is already an established timeline in the Starfox series, and they only take place a few years apart from eachother at most instead of generations apart, I doubt the need for separate timelines. If anything, they will probably just keep classifying games in which they screw up the continuity and mess up characters as non-canon. :laugh:

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
@ Golden Yuitisen: I'll give you on the telekinesis but its possible that they could add something like that if they wanted to.

Stafox being Canon
" Designers have hinted that a possible Star Fox game in the future may begin in the middle of Star Fox Command, revealing a "true" ending. Many fans expect the first ending (Fox getting back together with Krystal and the Starfox team continuing) is the real ending. At the same time, in the same interview, Takaya Imamura stated that "the story ends here", which has thrown some fans for a loop.[6]

The game is hinted at being non-canon, with all of its nine endings being non-canon and it also featured enemies who were presumed dead in Star Fox Assault, such as Andrew Oikonny and Pigma Dengar." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Fox_Command#Story

I've played all the ending and I do not recall anything about Krystal insulting James. Its been awhile since I've played all the story lines but I would think I would've remember her saying something like that.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
^^It seems strange that they would plan something like that without definite plans of a follow-up, but I guess it really was said. Though there are still conflicting sources about Command's canonical existence, even in that same quote, so I don't think we'll really find out the answer until the next new Starfox game. And as for it starting in the middle of Command, not only do I hope Command is never revisited, but I also think at this point it's unlikely, they would probably start with a whole new plot, especially if it's on Wii U. Plus Q-Games most likely won't be working on it, which makes a Command revisit even more unlikely.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I think the problem with Command is few people had the patience to 100% beat it And the few people that did 100% beat it don't remember it! The game is THAT forgettable! :laugh:
To be fair, most female Nintendo characters' breasts aren't as big or emphasized nearly as much as characters from other series and other companies. Krystal I can't defend as much, considering she's been sexualized more than the average Nintendo female character, but most Nintendo females haven't. It's usually fanart that depics them with larger breasts.
Krystal was also designed by Rare (in Star Fox Adventures) while they were on their way out to Microsoft, and since then, all of her appearances have been in games made by 3rd party developers. Assault was developed by Namco('s worst studio), Command was developed (mostly) by Q-Games. Although Krystal was de-sexualized in both games.
there is usually a larger demographic of people who prefer to play as males than females (in part to due to the ratio of male to female players, the age of the male players, and ratio of male to female characters), with the people playing as females usually just because they like the character herself or her playstyle, not because she has boobs.
Honestly, I think there is a growing number of gamers who only play as female characters because of their attractiveness. This trend is especially growing in Western games. Although, quite frankly, it can't be much worse than in Japan, especially in particular genres! Lara Croft went from appearing like a regular athletic woman to having jugs the size of her head, and we frequently have games with female lead roles in skimpy outfits (Lollipop Chainsaw, anyone=???).

Overall though, most of the people (outside of some sites) support Krystal because they like Star Fox (specifically new Star Fox games), they like Krystal as a character, or they like her moveset potential. Personally, Star Fox Adventures, Assault, and Command bore me, and I think she's a terrible character, but she's got some great moveset potential.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think the problem with Command is few people had the patience to 100% beat it And the few people that did 100% beat it don't remember it! The game is THAT forgettable! :laugh:
I can agree with this. After just a few levels on my first playthrough it already felt like a grind to keep going compared to previous Starfox games. I don't know how (or why) I managed to play through that game more than once, perhaps it was in anticipation of seeing Fox and Falco join G-Zero. :laugh:

All I know now is I'm never doing a playthrough of that game again.

Krystal was also designed by Rare (in Star Fox Adventures) while they were on their way out to Microsoft, and since then, all of her appearances have been in games made by 3rd party developers. Assault was developed by Namco('s worst studio), Command was developed (mostly) by Q-Games. Although Krystal was de-sexualized in both games.
Yeah, I was going to mention Rare in my post, and their tendency to make characters such as Krystal, Candy Kong, and Berri (from Conker's BFD), but if the trade-off to receiving games such as Donkey Kong Country, Conker's BFD, and SF Adventures (which *gasp* personally I liked) is the occasional furry fodder, then I can live with that. :smirk:

And honestly I didn't think Krystal's Assault and Command outfits were that bad. (well, the Command one was, but for different reasons). That's not to say anything of the quality of those games, though. It will be interesting to see how she is designed once Nintendo (or possibly Retro) themselves actually use her.

Honestly, I think there is a growing number of gamers who only play as female characters because of their attractiveness. This trend is especially growing in Western games. Although, quite frankly, it can't be much worse than in Japan, especially in particular genres! Lara Croft went from appearing like a regular athletic woman to having jugs the size of her head, and we frequently have games with female lead roles in skimpy outfits (Lollipop Chainsaw, anyone=???).
I'm wondering how much it's growing compared to how much it's always been there, though I suppose since now alot more games are being marketed to adults or teenagers instead of children, it is probably increasing, you're right. And I can understand why sexualizing characters sells games, but once you already have the game, I don't know why people would still choose to play as characters (if there are multiple characters) based only on their attractiveness, especially if they prefer the playstyle or are better with others. Perhaps I'm being a bit naive, but I really can't come up with anything other than people either wanting to see more of the attractive character, or just so they can go, "lol, look at me, I'm a hot girl". I dunno, I'd probably get it if I was a guy. :rolleyes::laugh:

I guess it all comes down to sex sells.

Overall though, most of the people (outside of some sites) support Krystal because they like Star Fox (specifically new Star Fox games), they like Krystal as a character, or they like her moveset potential. Personally, Star Fox Adventures, Assault, and Command bore me, and I think she's a terrible character, but she's got some great moveset potential.
Yeah, I agree (well not about her being a terrible character, but the other stuff lol). This is why it really irks me when people who want to see Krystal playable are usually just called furries and dismissed. :glare:

But you definitely raised some good points, though it does make me think less of games that pander to that demographic just to cash in instead of focusing on other more important aspects of their game. :ohwell:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
"GURRRL, PINK AND PURPLE SO AIN'T YOUR COLOR."

caps.
I'm glad that's what you took away from my post. :rolleyes:

But seriously, IKR! They so aren't. I really really disliked her look in Command, and I was already holding that game to incredibly low standards.

Which is funny, considering blue/pink/purple is my favorite color scheme and the one I usually use in all my avis and other customizable stuff. Looked terrible on her though. She shoud've consulted one of the other useless female characters in that game beforehand, although they all looked pretty terrible IMO. :laugh:

Top Bottom