• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Question to supporters, why you want Fox-Lady? Her design? Her possible moves? Her being lady-fox?
I half support here. I think Krystal has the perfect moveset if she uses all of Fox's moves from Star Fox Adventures plus a few additions. Basically, give Krystal an entirely staff-based moveset (but physically fighting with the staff) and have her specials be her powers Fox was able to add to the staff throughout the game. I think she'd be a pretty decent addition based on that, and I do like Krystal's design and being a new female addition to the series.

That said, Fox, Falco, and Wolf are all far more important characters to the franchise. I can't see Krystal getting added unless she's a fourth rep, and I can't see Star Fox getting four reps in this game. At best maybe she could be DLC. I do think she'd be a very original and unique character assuming she used her staff from Adventures (since it is her staff and powers Fox is using).

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Question to supporters, why you want Fox-Lady? Her design? Her possible moves? Her being lady-fox?
I want Krystal because Ive always liked her. She also has good moveset potential. Why do people want Falco? or Wolf? Theyre just as necessary as Krystal. I don't see why this question is raised and pressed so hardly with this character specifically. (not to say youre pressing the question specifically, but you just brought it to my attention once more)

I have polls, and have polled for years. She's always done well. Albiet she did better a few years ago, she still makes top twelve in all of my polls.

She ranks 6th most wanted DLC character currently

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I upvoted Krystal and Medusa. Before of course I already upvoted K. Rool, Ridley, and Isaac. (I also accidentally upvoted Shulk and Chibi-Robo. :p)

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
SSB Poll room has poll numbers all the way back to 2010 if you want to see how she stacks up through time.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
I hope SF isn't getting another reboot. Let the series get some consistency going for God's sake. Miyamoto was soley responsible for turning Dinosaur Planet into Star Fox Adventures, and so he should take ownership of the character he pushed into the spotlight. No one gives this man ANY flak whatsoever for taking SF on the direction it's going now.
Amen. Seriously, this is right on the money.

Unfortunately, we have so many people blaming Krystal and on-foot sequences for "ruining" the Star Fox franchise. Ladies and gentlemen, it is impossible for content within a video game to "ruin" the video game itself.

In reality, the developers (and other influential parties, if any) are responsible. The games don't make themselves. Personally, I think on-foot sequences could be brilliant, if treated with TLC. After all, aren't the Star Fox members trained in various martial arts, as well as on-ground weaponry? It seems nonsensical to keep these characters cooped up in their cockpits for each game (even beyond this fact limiting the series from evolving).

On a different note, some unused audio from Dinosaur Planet (leftover Nintendo 64 audio ripped from Star Fox Adventures data) might suggest that Rare could have been planning to use Star Fox in the game in the first place, even before Miyamoto intervened:

Before I explain, let me clarify that this is a possibility. I am not looking to justify anything. Keep in mind that the whole process behind Dinosaur Planet's change into Star Fox Adventures is not known, at least in its entirety. Thus, we shouldn't really treat the "known story" as the definite truth. Just a suggestion to keep an open mind, and to read the following in a theoretical sense rather than a literal one.

First of all, I am not certain how many people are aware of Miyamoto's feelings towards Star Fox, as compared to the other franchises he's responsible for. I have a feeling that Star Fox, more than any other franchise Miyamoto initialized, is practically his baby.

What could cause him to feel this way about Star Fox? Well, take Star Fox's unusual developmental story into consideration. While watching these videos about the history of Star Fox, take note of anything that could have impacted Miyamoto in a significant way. Here's an example: The battle for true 3D graphics. Miyamoto wasn't terribly fond of recreating sprites at multiple angles to simulate 3D. He wanted true 3D. What was the first franchise to usher in true 3D for Nintendo? Star Fox. This wasn't the only thing Star Fox ushered into the gaming industry, however. Point being, Star Fox could have impacted him the most out of every other franchise he's responsible for. Ergo, perhaps he has an extremely soft spot for this franchise, and that's why he doesn't allow other developers to use their ideas with Star Fox as much as other Nintendo franchises (Legend of Zelda to Hyrule Warriors, among others).

As for Mario and Zelda, he seldom focuses on them nowadays (key word being focus, for he does oversee certain things, obviously). Star Fox is a franchise he has virtually overseen through its entirety, however (no single source; must refer to the development of each Star Fox game individually). If this isn't enough to verify this as a possibility, let's take a look at it from a different perspective:

Have you ever wondered why Miyamoto constantly refers to Star Fox in his various interviews? There is an interview somewhere (though I am unable to find it) where Miyamoto stated that the character he would play as in Smash Brothers would be Fox. In another interview he was asked what would be the #1 franchise he wants to see come to the Wii U, to which he replied "Star Fox." He admitted, in another interview just before E3 2014, that he spent roughly 6 years on a Star Fox concept for the Wii (after which he decided to move the project to the Wii U). What other game has ever warranted such attention from Mr. Miyamoto himself?

Keep the possibility of Miyamoto's affection towards Star Fox in mind, as it will be used to explain the other possibility regarding the Dinosaur Planet developmental story:

As the video with the unused audio could suggest, perhaps Rare was using Star Fox in Dinosaur Planet even before Miyamoto really intervened? After all, Rare did have access to Nintendo's franchises (i.e. Donkey Kong). Perhaps Dinosaur Planet was not only going to have two playable characters that it would switch between (given the mission/progress you were on), but three (Krystal, Sabre, and Fox). You might be able to see where this is going. While I don't want to sound like I'm antagonizing Miyamoto, this is a possibility:

Perhaps Miyamoto caught wind of Rare's plan to include Star Fox in Dinosaur Planet, thus motivating him to check out its development. Upon arriving, Miyamoto could have then seen how similar Sabre looks to Fox (in certain ways). Perhaps, from this, he thought along the lines of: "Hey, if you're wanting to use Star Fox, and seeing as how I'm at a lack of ideas for the Star Fox franchise currently, why don't we convert Dinosaur Planet into a full Star Fox game?" Sure it could be argued that he did this simply because new I.P's don't sell well, but that doesn't make sense. Why deny the chance of a new I.P. to emerge? Imagine if they had done something similar to Pikmin. "Oh hey, Pikmin is a new franchise, therefore it won't sell well, therefore we should just make a major franchise game instead." It sounds like slippery-slope logic to me. Also, if Nintendo was truly afraid of Dinosaur Planet being overshadowed by the looming new console over the horizon (Gamecube), they could have easily transferred its development over without changing the game itself. Like I said before, it makes no sense.

So then, why did Miyamoto do it? It's tough to tell. From my slightly harsher perspective, it seems like Miyamoto didn't want Rare to use Star Fox as a sidelined franchise to boost the Nintendo-relevancy and sales of Dinosaur Planet (yes, perhaps Star Fox wasn't going to be the focus, and instead a supporting role in the game? It could have been a brilliant move story-wise and marketing-wise, as many gamers are into familiarity). Perhaps this is because he feels a special bond with Star Fox, which could be why it seems Miyamoto cannot stand seeing other developers treat Star Fox in ways he doesn't want.

So, what does this have to do about Krystal? Quite literally, everything. To bring this post to a full circle, everything that the developers have decided to do with Dinosaur Planet/Star Fox Adventures, as well as the other recent Star Fox games, has affected how fans of Star Fox (and some gamers beyond) perceive Krystal. Unfortunately, Krystal took the shorter end of the stick, complete with harsh stigmas and generalizations. In my opinion, Dinosaur Planet is the most unfortunate developmental story of video game history (right up there with Microsoft's purchase of Rare itself).

As a final note, I feel that Star Fox, possibly more than every other Nintendo franchise, could easily become Nintendo's Magnum Opus. That's a ballsy statement, I know. What other franchise could be the perfect way to showcase new technology? What other franchise could implement amazing multiplayer experiences such as (but not limited to) aerial and spacial dogfights, special ops arenas, ground battle arenas, or even clan wars (Venom versus Corneria)? What other franchise could eventually provide open-space and multiple open-world exploration (without it feeling like Elder Scrolls online, where it was practically empty)? What other franchise could feature not only co-op, but effective competitive co-op, where two players could have a future setup with multiple screens (kind of like the multiple screened computers, except each player could be at different parts of the Lylat System, advancing their causes against each other, i.e. one player taking control of Star Fox and the other Star Wolf, or some kind of Venomian organization)? What other franchise has the base capacity to eventually tell an innovative story (not a story like certain try-hard companies or game producers) while balancing a sense of wonder, integrity, and genuine character?

Actually, that last bolded word: wonder. It reminds me of a certain interview with Miyamoto just a couple days ago. I'm sorry Miyamoto, but I have to disagree. Pure "fun" isn't the only thing that can bring out the inner child in someone. You know what else can? Wonder. The only difference is that wonder could better simultaneously balance an adult and younger audience than "pure unadulterated fun". I tell you, the future of gaming should be about player investment value. We want to feel invested into these video game experiences (not to simulate in-game realism, but to provoke the wonder in every gamer). That's why many Hollywood-esque video game stories tend to fall short, as they lack wonder and player investment value (and instead seem to prefer the cinematic play-out of theater, where it feels like the player is watching, rather than experiencing). Star Fox could be the perfect franchise to spearhead this concept. My final question to Nintendo would be this: "Why limit yourselves to this one so-called 'genre of fun'?"

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I praise Miyamoto's inventiveness. We probably wouldn't have some of these lovable franchises if it weren't for him. That said, I wish he embraced possibility, adaption, and wonder more so than he does simple fun.

Last edited:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Yep, and remember in Pit's Melee trophy, it said "Will Pit ever fight again" and bam! He was playable in Brawl, besides Krystal is realistically the only Star Fox newcomer left
Slippy is another realistic newcomer, believe it or not. Also Slippy had more codec cameos than Krystal in Brawl, as well as Snake asking Slippy if he can design a weapon for him like he did for Fox and Falco. Even if Snake and Slippy weren't in Smash 4, or Snake wasn't than Slippy can easily inherit Snake's specials.

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203
The custom moveset feature has been puzzling me lately in terms of Star Fox characters (except for Fox). I have a hard time seeing how Falco would implement this new feature because of his moves being so similar to Fox's. Wolf I can see getting some interesting new moves for this feature, but Falco not so much in terms of trying to stay different from Fox's moves. I all ready know if Krystal gets in there're plenty things they can come up with for custom moveset options.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
The custom moveset feature has been puzzling me lately in terms of Star Fox characters (except for Fox). I have a hard time seeing how Falco would implement this new feature because of his moves being so similar to Fox's. Wolf I can see getting some interesting new moves for this feature, but Falco not so much in terms of trying to stay different from Fox's moves. I all ready know if Krystal gets in there're plenty things they can come up with for custom moveset options.

Yeah, like maybe some weapons from Assault and some of the staff powers from Adventures, with alternate attires being her Adventures and Command attires

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I'm also curious on what Falco would get for custom moves considering how he adds nothing else interesting to the table. He only got in smash bros because he didn't look like a fox re-skin but had a similar build to Fox. Then again he could have made it into Brawl and played how he does now.

I also dislike how in SSE he was shown with two blasters in a cut scene but doesn't use them in his move set. I got a Dante vibe off of that scene and I would like to see Falco fight even flashier.

Yeah, like maybe some weapons from Assault
Why give her a bunch of weapons? If anyone on the team should fight with an arsenal of weapons than Slippy is the best option. Second option is keep the star fox reps the way it is and give more weapons to Falco and Wolf.

Last edited:

DANICK

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0619-4467-3811
Krystal is the character i most wanted to appear, but i don't believe in that change petition, nintendo already prepared the roster,
all we have to do is pray and hope

But i signed anyway

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
If the Gematsu leak is 100% accurate, then I have no doubt that DLC will be a thing. It's a matter of how they will handle DLC.

Will it be characters? If so, then that shoots Krystal's chances upward. If not, then it's a shame if she's not on the initial roster.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Thinking Krystal would be a perfect secret character because there have always been a secret new Star Fox characters each game.
Falco was in Meele.
Wolf was in Brawl.
Krystal will be in SSBU/3DS.

Weavel

Smash Ace
Krystal is the character i most wanted to appear, but i don't believe in that change petition, nintendo already prepared the roster,
all we have to do is pray and hope

But i signed anyway
I think if you really want krystal signing the petition I listed wont hurt, it helps tell nintendo how passionate some fans are about a certain character.

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203
This has probably been mentioned before, but I don't really care. You know what's surprising about Krystal. She's lasted a lot longer than other requested characters that have been deconfirmed by becoming an assist trophy, regular trophy, or a boss/backround character on a stage. Also Sakurai must really enjoy watching us Star Fox fans sit on pins & needles anxiously awaiting the fate of the StarFox characters in SSB4.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
This has probably been mentioned before, but I don't really care. You know what's surprising about Krystal. She's lasted a lot longer than other requested characters that have been deconfirmed by becoming an assist trophy, regular trophy, or a boss/backround character on a stage. Also Sakurai must really enjoy watching us Star Fox fans sit on pins & needles anxiously awaiting the fate of the StarFox characters in SSB4.
That's one thing I'm still hopeful about. Although, past installments of Smash haven't shown off Star Fox till release.

D

Deleted member

That's one thing I'm still hopeful about. Although, past installments of Smash haven't shown off Star Fox till release.
Are you talking about characters, stages, or content all together? If you're talking about characters...you're sort of correct.

Edlocke

Smash Rookie
Krystal can only appear in her dinosaur planet attire. Not the crusty awful command form.

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203
What about her Assault form?
In my opinion if Krystal does make into the game her Assault costume would be the best choice. It would keep the game rated T and prevent any unnecessary/overated naughty screen shots of Krystal. Even though this will happen no matter what costume Krystal gets, but thats besides the point. Just keep in mind that little kids play this game. We don't need any irate parents suing Sakurai because of a scantily dressed character.

Last edited:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Assault Krystal with an Adventures alt would be ideal.

Her Adventures clothes isnt any more scandalous than second skin fetish Samus.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
As much as I'd enjoy Krystal being included with her SFA look and staff, the new Wii U game goes against her greatly, as she wasn't even featured in the E3 build.

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203
As much as I'd enjoy Krystal being included with her SFA look and staff, the new Wii U game goes against her greatly, as she wasn't even featured in the E3 build.
The new StarFox game is too early in development to really say Krystal isn't in it. We'll have to wait untill more info/gameplay is revealed.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
The new StarFox game is too early in development to really say Krystal isn't in it. We'll have to wait untill more info/gameplay is revealed.
I agree, but it's not looking good for her that the team in the demo was Fox-Slippy-Peppy-Falco.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I agree, but it's not looking good for her that the team in the demo was Fox-Slippy-Peppy-Falco.
Its not a demo. It's nothing. It's basically the SF3D engine. The game doesn't even have a storyline / plot in the things we've seen. When you don't see Krystal in six months when an ACTUAL trailer is revealed, you can say it's not looking good. They might as well not have shown any screenshots at this point. That's how basic development seems to be.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
If Peppy is active, that could spell trouble, because then the Star Fox team would be comprised of an unprecedented 5 pilots. The press member who played the tech demo said Fox, Falco, Slippy and Peppy were there, but no sign of Krystal.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Its not a demo. It's nothing. It's basically the SF3D engine. The game doesn't even have a storyline / plot in the things we've seen. When you don't see Krystal in six months when an ACTUAL trailer is revealed, you can say it's not looking good. They might as well not have shown any screenshots at this point. That's how basic development seems to be.
I'm not debating that it was early development. But she was still absent from the team, obviously the plan at the moment is for the original team, otherwise she probably would have been there.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
If Peppy is active, that could spell trouble, because then the Star Fox team would be comprised of an unprecedented 5 pilots. The press member who played the tech demo said Fox, Falco, Slippy and Peppy were there, but no sign of Krystal.

That's just a tech demo, that doesn't mean Krystal is not in yet, those are probably placeholders, since the game is in very early development, once we start to know more about the game we'll know whether Krystal is in or not, the character models look like SF64 3D anyways

Last edited:

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
No
I'm not debating that it was early development. But she was still absent from the team, obviously the plan at the moment is for the original team, otherwise she probably would have been there.
Not really, actually. The whole showing at E3 was nothing more than a tech demo meant for displaying the gameplay for the future title, since Miyamoto is very into displaying how this game's gameplay will be unique. The fastest way to set up the build for this would be to take from the most recent addition to the franchise, which would be SF 64: 3D. They've stated how early on in development the game is and how nothing new has been used, apart from what you saw gameplay wise. The demo was literally a carbon copy of 64 3D too, with the same dialogue, level design, and artwork. The only reason you saw those 4 flying is because that's who was flying in 64 3D. No more, no less.

Also, this has been stated to be a new game and not a reboot, so Krystal has an incredibly high chance of being in the franchise's next installment.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
No

Not really, actually. The whole showing at E3 was nothing more than a tech demo meant for displaying the gameplay for the future title, since Miyamoto is very into displaying how this game's gameplay will be unique. The fastest way to set up the build for this would be to take from the most recent addition to the franchise, which would be SF 64: 3D. They've stated how early on in development the game is and how nothing new has been used, apart from what you saw gameplay wise. The demo was literally a carbon copy of 64 3D too, with the same dialogue, level design, and artwork. The only reason you saw those 4 flying is because that's who was flying in 64 3D. No more, no less.

Also, this has been stated to be a new game and not a reboot, so Krystal has an incredibly high chance of being in the franchise's next installment.

Thanks, so what ending of Command do you think will be canon, will Krystal be a part of Star Wolf, Kursed, or still a member of Star Fox?

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Thanks, so what ending of Command do you think will be canon, will Krystal be a part of Star Wolf, Kursed, or still a member of Star Fox?
I don't believe we'd be getting an ending from Command. Although, if that's the case, then I would believe that her role would be with SF.

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203
Like what Joe said I believe that they won't use any of Commands endings, but if they do then she'd probably stay with the SF team.

Top Bottom