• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
I was just noting it in relation to his Smash chances.
Other than sharing specials and FS, Wolf shouldn't really be threatened with being cut. They've had more time to work with him so I'm sure he can easily be lifted out from under the semi clone hell Falco is in. If Tink can make it, Wolf should have a better chance than him.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
I don't enjoy playing the Sal Romano card, but apparently he's been tipped that Nintendo is planning post-launch character DLC. Apologies if this is old news, but he posted on the forums just before E3. I find it interesting though, because he has yet to be wrong.

My take on the matter is that the Wii U's sales are low, and they're looking to buffer them by releasing Smash Brothers while it has yet to be "completed" in Nintendo's eyes (which could explain the potential DLC). Smash sells big, you know.

On the flip side, they probably were able to delay Brawl's release to buy more solid development time because the original Wii's sales were on fire. In other words, I don't think Nintendo was as desperate for sales during the pre-Brawl era, allowing them to delay its release.

If they don't plan on post-launch character DLC for Smash 4, I feel that they will be shooting themselves in the foot; they'd anger fans immensely by not including certain newcomers from major franchises, such as Donkey Kong, Star Fox, etc. In short, many of Nintendo's antics might be explained through simple marketing analysis.

As of now, the Gematsu/Sal Romano leaks have characters from lesser Nintendo (or 3rd party) franchises. I think that's why many fans are disappointed in E3 and Smash 4 (at least what we know of it); the characters revealed so far were somewhat expected/debated, so it hindered their surprise factor significantly. Also, many newcomers known seem to be from franchises that some fans don't seem to prefer (i.e. the "non-major" Ninetndo franchises). All in all, I think many Smash fans simply feel underwhelmed.

Either way, this post-launch character DLC possibility...

Perhaps it bodes well for Krystal?

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Honestly, I don't know why they don't use costume choices to their advantage. I like to reference what Injustice did with costume DLC when talking about character additions in Smash.

In case you don't feel like clicking that link, they gave alternate costumes different voice work when they represented other characters. John Stewart and Hal Jordan are different characters even though they're both Green Lantern, so when you selected John Stewart, you got John Stewart's voice. And vice versa. Same went for the CW's Arrow and Cyborg Superman.

Think about the possibilities if Smash employed a similar setup. We could plug a bunch of different characters in with Fox's moveset, like Krystal, James or even Bill. Daisy could have a different voice from Peach. Roy could have a different voice from Marth. Etc. That way fans of minor characters get their favorites without taking up a roster spot.

I'm just afraid that appealing to as many fans as possible in the roster isn't very high on Sakurai's priority list. He focuses more on the actual gameplay and various modes and collectibles. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but still. If modders could make these visual changes so easily, it can't be that hard for the developers themselves to do something similar.

Fox fan6667

Smash Cadet
(READ THIS PLEASE AND I HOPE U GUYS UNDERSTAND WHAT IM GETTING AT PLEASE THXS:)) look im new at this site but anyways adding krystal to smash 4 would be great. Remember when people were mad at smash because people hated pacman being in the game well now everyone just about likes him and smash did great with his moveset. If smash adds her i would think she would be great just like pacman. I know smash said we need more female fighters in the new smash bros 4 game so y not? I mean we got roselina @ luma so y not krystal? People say they hate her. But people dont have really anyreason y they do. People say star fox doesnt need 3 or 4 but u dont need 2 be popular 2 have 4 fighters. If smash has only 3 reps 4 star fox then replace wolf with krystal wolf fans had already had fun NOW LET THE KRYSTAL FANS HAVE THERE FUN:)

Last edited:

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
Honestly, I don't know why they don't use costume choices to their advantage. I like to reference what Injustice did with costume DLC when talking about character additions in Smash.

In case you don't feel like clicking that link, they gave alternate costumes different voice work when they represented other characters. John Stewart and Hal Jordan are different characters even though they're both Green Lantern, so when you selected John Stewart, you got John Stewart's voice. And vice versa. Same went for the CW's Arrow and Cyborg Superman.

Think about the possibilities if Smash employed a similar setup. We could plug a bunch of different characters in with Fox's moveset, like Krystal, James or even Bill. Daisy could have a different voice from Peach. Roy could have a different voice from Marth. Etc. That way fans of minor characters get their favorites without taking up a roster spot.

I'm just afraid that appealing to as many fans as possible in the roster isn't very high on Sakurai's priority list. He focuses more on the actual gameplay and various modes and collectibles. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but still. If modders could make these visual changes so easily, it can't be that hard for the developers themselves to do something similar.
And changing some of their characteristics to make them play differently such as they speed or stuff like that is great too, but apparently everyone is against clones...? Which I'm not really sure why since clones don't play exactly the same and it increases the roster's size.

Fox fan6667

Smash Cadet
Triple Post Warning Received
Go Krystal

mario is to peach like fox and krystal need her in smash

hey i think smash should have a star fox trailer were it shows veterans,fox,falco,wolf, and newcomer krystal

Last edited by a moderator:

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
I am desperately hoping Star Fox for WiiU retcons everything that came out after 64 out of canon.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
@ Fox fan6667 Fox fan6667
Please try not to make multiple consecutive posts. In the future either edit your current post or wait for someone else to post before posting again. Thanks!

I am desperately hoping Star Fox for WiiU retcons everything that came out after 64 out of canon.
I don't see them doing that for the sake of a few disgruntled fans - for better or worse Krystal is still a popular character.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion

Why, just because Star Fox Adventures didn't play like a conventional Star Fox game and Star Fox: Assault was the same, Yes, there are some canonical flaws in the newer games, but those can be fixed, What your saying is basically that just because it didn't play like Zelda, Spirit Tracks should be retconned, it's people like you who nearly killed Star Fox, Star Fox has to evolve that's just how the gaming industry works, series that don't evolve eventually die

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
@ Fox fan6667 Fox fan6667
Please try not to make multiple consecutive posts. In the future either edit your current post or wait for someone else to post before posting again. Thanks!

I don't see them doing that for the sake of a few disgruntled fans - for better or worse Krystal is still a popular character.
I don't know man, that's the classic way the series is, Nintendo loves that nostalgia.
Why, just because Star Fox Adventures didn't play like a conventional Star Fox game and Star Fox: Assault was the same, Yes, there are some canonical flaws in the newer games, but those can be fixed, What your saying is basically that just because it didn't play like Zelda, Spirit Tracks should be retconned, it's people like you who nearly killed Star Fox, Star Fox has to evolve that's just how the gaming industry works, series that don't evolve eventually die
No, because StarFox did not need furry love interest girl who went from being a shaman lady to being on par with accomplished pilots out of freaking nowhere. If they said Aventures happened and Krystal was like... mission control or something it'd be alright but as it stands, the designs for the characters are crappier, the voices not as memorable, the design on the ships and creatures lost a ton of character after 64.

They need to go back to basics, a team of weirdly realistic animal ace pilots in space shooting stuff with a simple yet effective plot with the story and characters fleshed out via in game dialogue. It's that simple.

D

Deleted member

They need to go back to basics, a team of weirdly realistic animal ace pilots in space shooting stuff with a simple yet effective plot with the story and characters fleshed out via in game dialogue. It's that simple.
They did that (With gameplay at least). it was called Star Fox Command & it was a failure. Command only further proves my point that making a game where the crew stays in Arwings isn't a magical "Good game" button anymore.

Once again, it was heavily advertised for fans of the classic games & wanted the series to get back on its roots, & Cuthbert of course listened to their suggestions. So now they lost credibility in my eyes

Take off your nostalgia goggles.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
They did that (With gameplay at least). it was called Star Fox Command & it was a failure. Command only further proves my point that making a game where the crew stays in Arwings isn't a magical "Good game" button anymore.

Once again, it was heavily advertised for fans of the classic games & wanted the series to get back on its roots, & Cuthbert of course listened to their suggestions. So now they lost credibility in my eyes

Take off your nostalgia goggles.
That was a terrible game.

Possibly the worst one post 64.

I did not say crappy repetitive strategy game set over a furry fan fiction/soap opera with the ****tiest designs yet.

I said StarFox 64-2. That's it. That would be amazing.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
That would also be pretty boring.
If they made another set of 15-16 levels on par with the quality of 64, with all the same great character, aesthetic design, feel and controls and put it over a story with a new threat it would be hailed as one of the great games of our time.

Star Fox 64 was such an intricately planned out experience and it made it very special. They need more of that.

D

Deleted member

If they made another set of 15-16 levels on par with the quality of 64, with all the same great character, aesthetic design, feel and controls and put it over a story with a new threat it would be hailed as one of the great games of our time.
How are you so certain it'll be the greatest game of our time? Nintendo could very well botch it up by addin things nobody asked for or miss an aspect of 64.

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
But you would also need some new mechanics or features to keep the experience fresh. Plus, with the new technology, you can't expect them to do something a la Starfox 64, they'll want to explore more possibilities and won't settle for something so simple.

Also, I think that the Starfox games are kind of pretty short too. Would 16 levels be enough to satisfy a larger audience and not just only Starfox 64 fans ?

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
How are you so certain it'll be the greatest game of our time? Nintendo could very well botch it up by addin things nobody asked for or miss an aspect of 64.
I have faith that they can do a good job if they stop focusing on awful stories and focused on flying ships through planned out levels with branching paths. And what kinda stupid logic is that "why try, they might mess up". Hey, better not every try anything ever you might mess it up.
But you would also need some new mechanics or features to keep the experience fresh. Plus, with the new technology, you can't expect them to do something a la Starfox 64, they'll want to explore more possibilities and won't settle for something so simple.

Also, I think that the Starfox games are kind of pretty short too. Would 16 levels be enough to satisfy a larger audience and not just only Starfox 64 fans ?
I'm sure they can add a few cool maneuvers into the game.

This is Nintendo, they still make 2-D platformers as full 60 dollar games. This is not so crazy.

The idea is quality and re playability over quantity.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
All I want from this new Star Fox are the characters from Assault, the flight path system of 64, an awesome plot and nothing from Command.

Oh, and I refuse to rule out Krystal until that actual roster is shown. I'm still holding on to the hope that Mr. Sakurai realized the fan demand and explored her character.

Last edited:

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
I dunno, Airwing only would bore me to death. I liked Assault the most for the variety it offered (especially the ground phases, I found them really cool).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't know man, that's the classic way the series is, Nintendo loves that nostalgia.
It can still have elements of the old games with some of the content from the newer ones.

If those "Project" games Miyamoto showed are any indication, this game will be deviating from purely classic SF gameplay anyway.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The game's automatically garbage now. Not gonna buy/10.

Almost every SF64 fan.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
It can still have elements of the old games with some of the content from the newer ones.

If those "Project" games Miyamoto showed are any indication, this game will be deviating from purely classic SF gameplay anyway.
How so?
The game's automatically garbage now. Not gonna buy/10.

Almost every SF64 fan.
Wow way to generalize and make other people seem ****ty to fit your point.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
How so? Well the two Project games aren't exactly reminiscent of classic SF gameplay, but both have been alluded to being incorporated into the upcoming SF game.

Regardless, the characters don't make the gameplay... one could still have the newer ones with the gameplay of the initial titles of the series.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
How so? Well the two Project games aren't exactly reminiscent of classic SF gameplay, but both have been alluded to being incorporated into the upcoming SF game.

Regardless, the characters don't make the gameplay... one could still have the newer ones with the gameplay of the initial titles of the series.
Gameplay alone did not make old SF games special.

Not worth discussing here though.

I look forward to Krystal's deconfirmation!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Gameplay alone did not make old SF games special.

Not worth discussing here though.

I look forward to Krystal's deconfirmation!
Discussing what made the SF games special is not the same as suggesting Krystal wouldn't be included because Nintendo loves nostalgia... because obviously they are doing new things with this game. So I don't really see how that supports the series being retconned...

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Wow way to generalize and make other people seem ****ty to fit your point.
People generalize plenty of character fanbases and things here all the time and no one bats an eye. What's one more generalization going to do? If my sarcastic statement really offends you though, you need to grow a thicker skin.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion

Just ignore him, he's a nostalgia nerd, he's about as bad as Pokémon's Genwunners, and what I said is true about using his logic that Majora's Mask and Spirit Tracks should be non canon since they didn't play like traditional Zelda games, this guy probably thinks Shadow ruined Sonic,. And as for Project Guard, if you look very close on the gameplay footage, you'd see a Star Fox logo on the cameras in the game, in fact here's a picture as evidence

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/media/37779/4/1.jpg

Last edited:

Fox fan6667

Smash Cadet
Double Post Warning Received
I want ground missions. They were really fun
Yes it was we need krystal they have added a new fox character every game i think nows the time to shine for krystal

I recall you agreed with me in the Dixie thread that DK didn't deserve four characters.

Can you really say Starfox, of all series, deserves such an honor with a clear conscience?

Nevermind her totally unrivaled hatebase.

:phone:
u dont have to really popular to have lots of reps....

D

Deleted member

Yes it was we need krystal they have added a new fox character every game i think nows the time to shine for krystal
May wanna be careful there, Sakurai has been destoryin a lot of patterns lately. All we can basically do is hope at this point since it doesn't look like she'll get a reveal trailer like the other newcomers.

She could also be DLC which may work fine since if people don't want her to be in the roster, they can save themselves some money & the fans of hers would throw some dosh at Sakurai & get what they want!

Good deal, eh?

(Also, try not to double post)

Fox fan6667

Smash Cadet
Warning Received
I think if you don't like Krystal, you should stop obsessing over her and not hang out in the Krystal thread :rollseyes:

:phone:
yes i agree if people dont like her then y r they here. this is for people who want krystal to be in smash.

May wanna be careful there, Sakurai has been destoryin a lot of patterns lately. All we can basically do is hope at this point since it doesn't look like she'll get a reveal trailer like the other newcomers.

She could also be DLC which may work fine since if people don't want her to be in the roster, they can save themselves some money & the fans of hers would throw some dosh at Sakurai & get what they want!

Good deal, eh?

(Also, try not to double post)
lol im new at this anyway idk if they can have roselina and luma then i see no reason why she cant have a spot as for dlcs i dont see it happening i wish it would but it wont

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Remember to edit your posts so you don't get infracted. It will be on the bottom right of your post!

D

Deleted member

lol im new at this anyway idk if they can have roselina and luma then i see no reason why she cant have a spot as for dlcs i dont see it happening i wish it would but it wont
Usually I'm not the person that has high regards to the Sal leak but he did mention SSB4 would have post-release DLC so...I'm sure it'll happen eventually.

I just hope they don't make it expensive & pull a Capcom (Which seems unlikely since Nintendo seems to be handlin DLC good despite my concern of them appearin in a lot more titles lately).

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
If you don't like flying in space ships don't play the game about flying in space ships.
What the **** kind of an answer was that ?

I can like flying in a space ship and do other things as I damn well please. Not to mention that I don't wanna play the game about flying in space ships, I want to play its successor which will definitely NOT be entirely about space ships.

Last edited:

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Double Post Warning Received
Discussing what made the SF games special is not the same as suggesting Krystal wouldn't be included because Nintendo loves nostalgia... because obviously they are doing new things with this game. So I don't really see how that supports the series being retconned...
Separate points.

I basically said: I'm sorry we got off topic, I will stop now by the way Krystal has no shot if you ask me.
People generalize plenty of character fanbases and things here all the time and no one bats an eye. What's one more generalization going to do? If my sarcastic statement really offends you though, you need to grow a thicker skin.
"Everyone else makes baseless assumptions, why not me?" To boil a person down to one small aspect and then to generalize all people with a similar aspect to be the same is ridiculous. Think.
Just ignore him, he's a nostalgia nerd, he's about as bad as Pokémon's Genwunners, and what I said is true about using his logic that Majora's Mask and Spirit Tracks should be non canon since they didn't play like traditional Zelda games, this guy probably thinks Shadow ruined Sonic,. And as for Project Guard, if you look very close on the gameplay footage, you'd see a Star Fox logo on the cameras in the game, in fact here's a picture as evidence

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/media/37779/4/1.jpg
Actually buddy, I'm not. I played 64 as my 3rd SF game (barring the 2 multiplayer games at a friend's where I had no idea what was going on and just wanted to play Mario), I played Assault and then the one on SNES and then 64. Do not give me your nostalgia bull****. It is just the better everything when it comes to StarFox.

My logic? What is my logic? Let me break it down. There is no logic, I'm hoping that Nintendo tries to win us over with nostalgia on the styling and story.(you should be familiar with hoping based on how much time you spend in a thread about Krystal) but going along with your baseless assumption StarFox after 64 got royally ****ed up, a lot of lore was lost or rewritten, no game has come close to 64 on any level (Assault had some really sweet music though) and now Fox/Falco in Smash look ridiculous because of that atrocious DS game. Majora's Mask and Spirit Tracks did not essentially undo the past games or undermine them (oh look how easy it is to fly a ship, this chick didn't speak English 2 minutes ago but now she's doing it!)

I love Sonic Adevnture 2. I loved Shadow, wish he had more levels, followed that whole plot super closely through all the subsequent games. Please stop making an ass of yourself with these baseless assumptions.

What the **** kind of an answer was that ?

I can like flying in a space ship and do other things as I damn well please. Not to mention that I don't wanna play the game about flying in space ships, I want to play its successor which will definitely NOT be entirely about space ships.
So I suppose you'll be really pissed off if the next Kirby game is all about running and jumping.

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
That makes no sense whatsoever as I just said I liked flying in an airwing, but that I didn't want to do just that.

And guess what ? Kirby games change and introduce new things too.

The last two posts directed at me were just plain stupid.

Last edited:
Top Bottom