• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Is there really that many of us old farts from the preBrawl days still around? Overall I think I've seen maybe a dozen others, including me and you, who were prominent posters from back in those days.

I was around as a simple lurker back then. So much excitement and so much melee tier hate.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I was around in the Pre-Brawl days... just not on this particular site. I still remember when most people thought Krystal was a likely (and actually a GOOD) addition. Oh well. :ohwell:

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Oh hey now, I was posting on Krystal's thread back in the pre-brawlian era. Made her a moveset and everything. :p

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Heck if I know, FMOI. I only recognize a few faces from those days, mainly Oasis, ChronoBound, qdQbp, John and you. I was simply observing that most the people today probably wouldn't even have any idea what went down back in The **** Staff thread/days.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
There's a lot of people who people swore were "guaranteed" which is why I feel like there was such a huge backlash when the roster was first revealed. A lot of people thought Krystal, Megaman, Ridley, King K. Rool, Issac, and Geno were pretty much locks and that there was no way that Mewtwo was going to be cut.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Believe me, I experienced that the hard way. Still pessimistic to this day when it comes to any roster in any game.

This time I'm not as idealistic nor "sure" of any additions or cuts. Do still support most, if not all the same characters, nonetheless.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Krystal is one of those characters on the line between inclusion and rejection. The Star Fox series has always had more characterization than other Nintendo series, even if they can be summed up in one word. (Fox=Leader, Falco=Jerk, Slippy=Incompetent, Peppy=old, Krystal=female, 64 Wolf= evil, Assault Wolf=Grumpy.)

I gets that's why there's so mcuh demand for a new Star Fox game already.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
It really does have a lot of more characterization and it's characterization that sticks. It's not like F-Zero that's only had one game important to it's story, or Mother, Pokemon, or Fire Emblem that refresh (Even the Mario RPG's) every once in a while. You see them reference to things of the past (Even "Farewell, Beloved Falco") You see them have emotion.

Really, I do hope this time Wolf, Fox, Falco, and Krystal all get in, but I have a bad feeling we won't see all since this isn't big on buffing supporting cast (Which sucks) from the looks to me so far, but hey, I could be wrong.

Hopefully we'll see a new game and hopefully good representation. I'm truthfully under the belief that if we see below three characters for the series, people will be disappointed. Honestly, I think that's why I'm also okay with SF getting these characters.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
My current outlook on the roster is bleak. IF all of what SEEMS true IS TRUE it could mean two things for Krystal. But let's get back to what those things mean in a second. There is a decent chance that this is all true:

-Wii Fit Trainer
-Villager
-Miis
-Little Mac
-Megaman
-Pac-Man

are all included, and RIDLEY is not. What does this say to me? Well for the most part it looks like Sakurai isn't big on buffing casts.(Which, like TTK said, ****ing blows because we all know most of our favorite choices come from already established franchises) This doesn't pose well for the likes of K Rool, Krystal, Goroh, Junior, ect. But at the same time, who REALLY knows? This jump from 3 characters to 4 seems to be an overly exaggerated one, and we've seen a Star Fox character added in every installment since now. Who really knows.

I don't think Krystal is the only one in trouble though. I think most characters in well established franchises are in trouble.

Shadow312

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shadzcat
Isn't roster size pretty much guaranteed to be more so than Brawl? That should increase the odds at the very least, considering we only have 3 new players confirmed

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Isn't roster size pretty much guaranteed to be more so than Brawl? That should increase the odds at the very least, considering we only have 3 new players confirmed

It's almost guaranteed to be bigger but Sakurai is going for Quality over Quantity so no matter which way you slice it Krystal's chances aren't great. I think the largest cast for a competitive, balanced 3D Fighting Game (not including those Naruto and DBZ games where only the main character and most recent villains are worth playing), is about 50 and I don't think they'll do that many.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
It's almost guaranteed to be bigger but Sakurai is going for Quality over Quantity so no matter which way you slice it Krystal's chances aren't great. I think the largest cast for a competitive, balanced 3D Fighting Game (not including those Naruto and DBZ games where only the main character and most recent villains are worth playing), is about 50 and I don't think they'll do that many.

62, Tekken Tag Tournement 2. Developed by Namco. I don't think roster size is an issue at all. I Sakurai's tune changed in terms of how many characters he could add.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
62, Tekken Tag Tournement 2. Developed by Namco. I don't think roster size is an issue at all. I Sakurai's tune changed in terms of how many characters he could add.

Wonder how many of them were reused or slightly tweaked from Tekken 6. And for that matter, the 3D game I was thinking of (SFxT) had near half of it's models ripped from Street Fighter 4. All Smash characters have to be redone from scratch. That adds a lot of dev time.

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
I doubt the roster size is going to be any smaller than Brawl's, however, Sakurai apologized before hand about cutting characters making it seem that character cuts from Brawl are inevitable . When you consider Krystal's chances I think the number of newcomers is what you have to look at. I mean how many newcomers do you there are going to be? I'm thinking anywhere between 10 to 15, and so we've already had 3 newcomers reveled. At this point it seems that we do have a couple of obvious choices for newcomers who stand out among others, but there is still space for some other possible Nintendo characters. While not a Definite pick for a newcomer Krystal is worthy of a spot.

D

Deleted member

My current outlook on the roster is bleak. IF all of what SEEMS true IS TRUE it could mean two things for Krystal. But let's get back to what those things mean in a second. There is a decent chance that this is all true:

-Wii Fit Trainer
-Villager
-Miis
-Little Mac
-Megaman
-Pac-Man

are all included, and RIDLEY is not. What does this say to me? Well for the most part it looks like Sakurai isn't big on buffing casts.(Which, like TTK said, ****ing blows because we all know most of our favorite choices come from already established franchises) This doesn't pose well for the likes of K Rool, Krystal, Goroh, Junior, ect. But at the same time, who REALLY knows? This jump from 3 characters to 4 seems to be an overly exaggerated one, and we've seen a Star Fox character added in every installment since now. Who really knows.

I don't think Krystal is the only one in trouble though. I think most characters in well established franchises are in trouble.
I'm hoping that if worst comes to worst for Ridley that it is only applying to what Sakurai thinks of him and not necessarily having a negative viewpoint on existing series characters. Shafting every potential existing series newcomer not named Chrom (who I consider to be meh without a duo system/his other weapons from his classes) is going to prove to be a bad move on Sakurai's behalf. We're not going to be seeing more than nine new series (third-parties/retro/misc.), so if the only existing series characters added are Mewtwo and Chrom, that's already less than what Brawl has. Factor in potential cuts of up to four of these characters (Snake/Toon Link/Sonic/Ike/Pokémon Trainer/Lucario in that order) and it will be seen as the worst roster by a considerable margin.

People may say that characters won't affect sales and for individual characters, they're right. But we should not neglect that characters are still an important aspect of the game because part of the reason why Smash was made was so that we can fight with and against our favorite characters from Nintendo games (and a few third-parties). I mean, this forum we're in talks about just characters and it is already much larger than the other SSB 3DS & Wii U boards which cover every single other topics imaginable. If the roster turns out to be weak in comparison to the first three games, many people will be turned off and with hopes dashed for existing series characters (along with whoever else doesn't make it from new series), SSB6 will receive less hype with the increasing amount of pessimism in regards to characters (and the fan base is already relatively pessimistic) unless SSB6 has a very long hiatus.

Part of the reason why I'm hoping Ridley gets in is so that it won't make an already pessimistic community despair even more.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I agree with Xeno a lot. I mean, there isn't many characters left to add, and she's definitely one of the stand out picks. Definitely within the top 15. There are only so many choices you have.

At this point I'm just hoping we get Dixie so I have at least one character to hype about. I seriously, give ZERO ****s about third party/small franchise characters. Don't hate them, just.. don't care about them. TLS and Xenoblade are pretty much the only Small franchises I wouldn't mind seeing a character come out of.

And goddamnit I have my doubts about them as well.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I was a lurker back then, all ill say is I hate flip floppers.
Oh hey, I'm here to announce I'm a flip flopper.

I was originally a Krystal supporter, then a hater, then I've been neutral but eh, I like her moveset potential too much, so I guess I'm a supporter now, especially since the choices are very minimal. I mean, the only 3 potential newcomers with a noticeable shot I am really hyped for left are K. Rool, Ridley, and Isaac. Sure I like Little Mac, Pac-Man (I got a feeling Namco Bandai could make him awesome, unlike Crapcom), Shulk, Saki, Dixie Kong, Cranky Kong, Miis, and Plusle and Minun, but man, after that, it is a whole lot of nothing.
Heck if I know, FMOI. I only recognize a few faces from those days, mainly Oasis, ChronoBound, qdQbp, John and you. I was simply observing that most the people today probably wouldn't even have any idea what went down back in The **** Staff thread/days.
You can never explain to them how big of a thing Sonic was. It was literally like God came from heaven to give everyone biscuits, and everyone wanted some. It is also hard to explain to people that we actually talked about gameplay and movesets, playstyles, and skillsets then. You know, the main reasons we want characters playable=???

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
It is also hard to explain to people that we actually talked about gameplay and movesets, playstyles, and skillsets then. You know, the main reasons we want characters playable=???
It's kind of hard to keep the topic on movesets in a Krystal thread when you have a bunch of trolls/ignorant people popping in and blurting out how they hate furries and why she ruined Starfox...

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Excuses, excuses. Back then we relished in trolls, and reveled in ignorant activity.

Now I just sigh every time I see someone getting their feelings hurt result in them proclaim trolling.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Trolls=???

I was called various derogatory terms of all sorts on nearly a daily basis just because I was the most vocal Wind Waker Link supporter on the internet. Heck, someone even once called me a pedophile for liking such a cartoon character (despite the fact I was like 15 at the time, which thus is legally impossible last I checked). But hey, I was right (now thrice) and they were wrong, SO I WIN! *starts taunting various GameFAQs members and cults*
It's kind of hard to keep the topic on movesets in a Krystal thread when you have a bunch of trolls/ignorant people popping in and blurting out how they hate furries and why she ruined Starfox...
Ignore 'em, like I how ignore threads I don't care about and can't help fix. And eh, she didn't ruin Star Fox, Nintendo's poor planning did.

As for Krystal's moveset and skillset, I would love to see her have a "two in one" move.

By that I mean say like a Forward Smash where she swings her staff forward and it can hurt you with the staff physically (thus doing damage and knockback), as well as at the same time shoot out some magical spell that hurts you with a projectile (thus doing less damage but more knockback).

I would especially love this move if it had a "sweet spot" where you could land both and get the best of both worlds, including potentially a few early KO's via the increased knockback. I think such a move would be pretty dope to have in Smash Brothahs! :shades:

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
When you say "two in one" where you referring to something similar to Link's forward smash?

As for the "sweet spot" I would want it to be at the tip of the staff.

DarkKry4

Smash Ace

-Wii Fit Trainer
-Villager
-Miis
-Little Mac
-Megaman
-Pac-Man

Well when you stack her against those list of 6 character. She would be the odd one out. A random addition.

Its clear she doesn't stand a chance. All those characters are stars of their own series. Adding more secondary characters from series does seem unlikely at this point. Especially with no new game to back them up.

This should be clear to most krystal fans if that list is indeed true.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Bless you DarkKry for constantly giving this topic, about a character you, hate something to talk about.

Part of me thinks Sakurai looks at boards and does reveals based on what we least expect. Any and all justification we do one way or another is meaningless. But it's fun so let's continue.

I've had two major problems with that list. 1. the fact Wii Fit trainer and Villager take a lot of potential Mii moves. 2. That there's only 6. I don't doubt we'll get a lot less newcomers than last time but it seems weird that they'd go in with so few before they have to cut any in later development for time.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
And, I take back my stance on Ridley. Krystal still has her 50/50 shot. It's weird to think the roster is already complete, we just don't get to know about it for a while.

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
I'm just wondering... If Wolf or Falco were to be revealed would you feel that her chances are less than you do now? I'd half to say For me If Falco were to be revealed not really, however, if Wolf is revealed than it might. It seems that more people are leaning towards Wolf getting cut.

Shadow312

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shadzcat
I think it depends on how fast they are revealed, and exactly when the game is released. We haven't seen a new character since the first time. There are still a ton of returning players that will definitely be confirmed, so if a Starfox character is among them that would probably be better. Pokemon hasn't even seen it's second rep yet and I feel like new characters will be after all the returnees

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
falco's reveal would matter less to me. I think wolf would be the more likely option. I think Krystal's best option would be as a fourth character:
A) The series is not technically dormant with SF 3D
B) I don't Sakurai really cares about that stuff.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Anyone one know of any Star Fox Anniversaries coming up over the next few months?

NitrusVirus

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0361-6571-8413
I think it would be interesting to incorperrate a mixture of staff-play and gun-play into her moveset to kindof mesh her appearances. Make her standards moves more staff/melee-based and her specials more gun/range-based. For example, her normal AAA would just be a standard combo. Her Tilts or Smashes could add elemental effects and such, like FSmash is a staff attack with a freeze chance or the FTilt could spray a slow icy mist in the weapon trail that lingers a bit and causes damage over time. Then you have her Specials (mostly from Assault) such as her FSpecial would be the Gatling gun: after its out you can repeatedly press B to continuously shoot until it overheats, or a neutral B that throws a grenade or shoots off a Sniper Rifle (to differentiate her gun entirely from the other 3 SF characters) which could have a longer and quicker firing range but has an extremely long reload between shots. Her DSmash could do a somewhat tricky move where she jumps diagonally back into the air and fires a Homing Launcher shot diagonally down forward, or it could simply be just a Barrier which unlike the others' reflective shields it could simply just absorb the projectile and dissipate. Her USmash could simply be a Jetpack, but it rises on its own and allows only for horizontal movement during and cannot be canceled.

For the FS, it could be something like the Demon Launcher or something like that one bomb in Assault that you set and it shoots rainbow colored rockets into the air that come back down and assault the entire area.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Then you have her Specials (mostly from Assault) such as her FSpecial would be the Gatling gun: after its out you can repeatedly press B to continuously shoot until it overheats, or a neutral B that throws a grenade or shoots off a Sniper Rifle (to differentiate her gun entirely from the other 3 SF characters) which could have a longer and quicker firing range but has an extremely long reload between shots. Her DSmash could do a somewhat tricky move where she jumps diagonally back into the air and fires a Homing Launcher shot diagonally down forward, or it could simply be just a Barrier which unlike the others' reflective shields it could simply just absorb the projectile and dissipate. Her USmash could simply be a Jetpack, but it rises on its own and allows only for horizontal movement during and cannot be canceled.

For the FS, it could be something like the Demon Launcher or something like that one bomb in Assault that you set and it shoots rainbow colored rockets into the air that come back down and assault the entire area.

Even if it wasn't her, I would kill for any Star Fox character to do any of this. The fact that the best they could do with Wolf was tape a knife to his blaster and give him a can of spray paint for his Landmaster makes me unbelievably sad to this day.

Top Bottom