• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
They aren't actually joke characters. They have merits.
I mean characters that seemingly I had no idea why they were considered, I find them to be too whimsical for Smash, no wonder why the fans of the other fighting series (Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, King of Fighters, and Soul Calibur, ) don't really give Smash any respect,
Though :4jigglypuff: and:pichumelee: can be considered joke characters

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Sakurai himself said the intention with Duck Hunt was to be this game's "surprise" character, alongside Wii Fit Trainer.

Moving back on topic

Like :4wiifit: and:4duckhunt:? (my personal punching bags)

Nope, Sakurai bias is real, Instead of adding Dark Pit to the roster at the last minute, why didn't he have Wolf added
Same reason Wolf was chosen over Krystal in Brawl: The latter required effort/time that the team just did not have.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I mean characters that seemingly I had no idea why they were considered, I find them to be too whimsical for Smash, no wonder why the fans of the other fighting series (Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, King of Fighters, and Soul Calibur, ) don't really give Smash any respect,
Though :4jigglypuff: and:pichumelee: can be considered joke characters
The only real joke character is Pichu. He's a weaker Pikachu that literally hurts himself. He's a joke character. Jigglypuff was added in for the reason of she was easy to make (Sakurai basically used Kirby's body shape). Wii Fit probably got in because of the success of Wii Fit. Duck Hunt is an iconic character (How do you not know this?).

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Sakurai himself said the intention with Duck Hunt was to be this game's "surprise" character, alongside Wii Fit Trainer.

Moving back on topic

Same reason Wolf was chosen over Krystal in Brawl: The latter required effort/time that the team just did not have.
True, but they could have easily converted other characters to be the last minute additions, but Dark Pit was the one made into a fighter, he EVEN GOT A UNIQUE ****ING FINAL SMASH

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Moving back on topic

Haha haha... so it was karmic payback courtesy of Krystal. :laugh:

Dark_Pit

Smash Cadet
Haha haha... so it was karmic payback courtesy of Krystal. :laugh:
Ian is usually... odd. Just brush it off.

But If i can recall you were one of the ones that hated krystal way back when, if you are just here to take silent jabs at us, I suggest you find something better to do.

You may laugh at her, but just like people laughed at DHD and he got in, same may happen with krystal :awesome:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion

But If i can recall you were one of the ones that hated krystal way back when, if you are just here to take silent jabs at us, I suggest you find something better to do.

You may laugh at her, but just like people laughed at DHD and he got in, same may happen with krystal :awesome:
I AM NOT ODD!

Bone Conjurer

Smash Apprentice
I'd rather not have a joke character and if there was one, I'd want it to be a joke in the way of a strange selection rather than an ineffective, bottom-dwelling waste of money and development time.
But they'd be funny to fight against.

The only real joke character is Pichu. He's a weaker Pikachu that literally hurts himself. He's a joke character. Jigglypuff was added in for the reason of she was easy to make (Sakurai basically used Kirby's body shape). Wii Fit probably got in because of the success of Wii Fit. Duck Hunt is an iconic character (How do you not know this?).
Yeah, but he ain't very funny. When I said Slippy with a joke moveset, I meant stuff like having a recovery involve him getting shot with a laser, and a move where he throws a gun, but it shoots back at him. Maybe have a taunt where an audience member throws something at him, which damages him or (if he's moved out of the way) a random opponent at that same spot.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
There won't be joke characters as DLC. They need to sell on their own merit. If you didn't buy Melee because of Pichu that'd be a stupid decision but if a joke character is DLC you'd be smart to not buy it. You still got the full game minus one ineffectual character.

Bone Conjurer

Smash Apprentice
There won't be joke characters as DLC. They need to sell on their own merit. If you didn't buy Melee because of Pichu that'd be a stupid decision but if a joke character is DLC you'd be smart to not buy it. You still got the full game minus one ineffectual character.
But there are actually people who would boycott the game if an anime character (for example) got into the roster. Do you consider that stupid?

Bone Conjurer

Smash Apprentice
Um okay, I don't know why Layton would be considered ahead of K Rool, who was FAR more popular, but at least it's not Waluigi (Who is irrelevant, and nothing more than a side character)
Although the company that publishes Layton games (Level-5) might be owned by Ninty (that's also why I thought that a DQ char is more likely than any other SE char to get in the game, and that Ninty owns the DQ series).

And yeah, I, too, say no to Wawuleegee.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I'm down with Layton. Though surely this would make him a pre-ballot character? It's still got over a month to go, if he is a ballot character, talk about jumping the gun.
Layton is not a character I support highly, but I don't hate him, I just don't know why he'd be considered for DLC before Wolf, Snake, K Rool, or our favorite Blue Vixen. Seriously though Waluigi HASN'T EVEN BEEN IN A MAIN SERIES MARIO GAME!

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
There was a load of demand for Layton in the build-up as I remember. Still a little odd...

Bone Conjurer

Smash Apprentice
Layton is not a character I support highly, but I don't hate him, I just don't know why he'd be considered for DLC before Wolf, Snake, K Rool, or our favorite Blue Vixen. Seriously though Waluigi HASN'T EVEN BEEN IN A MAIN SERIES MARIO GAME!
Plus, we don't need more Mario milk anytime soon (although I'd kinda be fine with Paper Mario being a Smash fighter).

Affluent Brit

Smash Rookie
Hello, my fellow fans of Krystal! I have decided to cease my 'lurking' around on Smash Boards, and went on ahead to make an account because a good friend of mine from the United States persuaded me to. I would like to join you all as a full supporter of Krystal, if that would be alright.

So, I went on ahead and read the past few posts. Professor Layton may be joining the Super Smash roster? That makes for an unusual choice, especially considering the plethora of more requested and more deserving characters that are out there. So this was based off of something found on the I.M.D.B. website? I thought we had a similar situation with the voice actress for another popular character, Shantae?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

I wasn't taking a jab at Krystal, I was taking a jab at Wolf.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Can we not take shots at other characters? Can we take the high road with this, especially since the forum's eyes are on us right now?

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Hello, my fellow fans of Krystal! I have decided to cease my 'lurking' around on Smash Boards, and went on ahead to make an account because a good friend of mine from the United States persuaded me to. I would like to join you all as a full supporter of Krystal, if that would be alright.

So, I went on ahead and read the past few posts. Professor Layton may be joining the Super Smash roster? That makes for an unusual choice, especially considering the plethora of more requested and more deserving characters that are out there. So this was based off of something found on the I.M.D.B. website? I thought we had a similar situation with the voice actress for another popular character, Shantae?
Or like the Raiden "Leak",anyhow welcome to the thread

Last edited:
Top Bottom