• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

thief_of_demons

Smash Journeyman
"For Krystal, we didn’t have any of the technical modeling knowledge that we had cultivated with Fox and Falco, so it was like making a brand-new character from scratch. And because of the limited amount of time we had, creating Krystal wasn’t realistically possible. On that point, with Wolf we already have some knowledge of how to model his character, and would require about 70% of the effort required to create a whole new character."

In other words, and this applies to many others not just her, she would've taken more effort to model and create compared to Wolf where they already had an idea, even if he ended up being very close to a clone. The questions and answers is old as the headline states, but it may be different now that they have Namco Bandai helping him out. Remember, it was they who made Assault and they did design and model her in there, they also did get Ryu in there who was an entirely new character.
Yeah, I don't think this lessens Krystals chances at all. If she was considered back then then that probably improves her chances by quite a lot. The fact they announced the ballot shows that they're willing to go all out with the characters, regardless of how complex they may be to model, because they have literally no control over who is going to get the most votes and if only votes for basic characters counted then that'd make the whole ballot thing very lacklustre.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
The discovery of this article has now put Krystal in an incredible spot. It seems the stars in the heavens have aligned just perfectly for her. I personally feel Krystal has one of the highest chances to make it. Dare I say, even higher than K. Rool.
lol considering King K. Rool has also been considered and the ****ing butt load of fan demand, his chances are still higher than Krystal's. The biggest thing against Krystal, is that Wolf isn't back yet.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
The Smash Ballot is not a popularity contest but more of a suggestion box. They can easily choose not to create the most voted for character(s). Not trying to be negative here but that's the truth. They don't even have to reveal the results at all.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
lol considering King K. Rool has also been considered and the ****ing butt load of fan demand, his chances are still higher than Krystal's. The biggest thing against Krystal, is that Wolf isn't back yet.
Any Non-ballot DLC fighter has to be fanservice and Wolf fits that to the letter

The Smash Ballot is not a popularity contest but more of a suggestion box. They can easily choose not to create the most voted for character(s). Not trying to be negative here but that's the truth.
I know, but Krystal would be highly considered based on popularity and moveset potential, this is good because if people flood the ballot with votes for Son Goku, Shrek, Spongebob, or Batman, those votes will be tossed out and they won't get in Smash

Last edited:

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Smash Journeyman
Ah but
In light of Krystal not being added to Brawl because her model would've taken more time to develop, let's keep reminding ourselves that Sakurai has a considerably smaller team working with him than he initially started with before starting work on Smash 4.
Ah but unlike before this team is more centralized and focused on just making characters. Just look at Ryu, I doubt that he was easy but this team made it work because as of right now this is all they are doing.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
Ah but

Ah but unlike before this team is more centralized and focused on just making characters. Just look at Ryu, I doubt that he was easy but this team made it work because as of right now this is all they are doing.
The thing is Ryu, Roy, Lucas and Mewtwo were already worked on before the Smash Ballot was announced and possibly before Smash 4 was released. Mewtwo already had a working model for him revealed during the 50-Facts Extravaganza, before the 3DS version was released.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
He said all DLC from this point on is fanservice. Kinda lying if you don't add King K. Rool (since there are no problems and don't give me bull**** that HE'S TOO BIG because he isn't). Plus there is tons of moveset potential.
Yeah K Rool is fanservice,
The thing is Ryu, Roy, Lucas and Mewtwo were already worked on before the Smash Ballot was announced and possibly before Smash 4 was released. Mewtwo already had a working model for him revealed during the 50-Facts Extravaganza, before the 3DS version was released.
Though it's possible that for the ballot, wireframe models of highly requested characters were made

Last edited:

thief_of_demons

Smash Journeyman
The Smash Ballot is not a popularity contest but more of a suggestion box. They can easily choose not to create the most voted for character(s). Not trying to be negative here but that's the truth.
Still, they're going to consider the more popular characters over the not so popular ones because obviously that's going to equal more fans of that character buying the DLC.

Bone Conjurer

Smash Apprentice
Somehow I think it is less likely that we would get 2 more representatives from starfox than just 1. And I am not a fan of Wolf at all.
Well he did add Ginger Marth as DLC even with Tr*nny Marth (jk; I ain't hating on her) in the roster, making it 5 FE reps in the game. 4 SF reps wouldn't be out of the question.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Still, they're going to consider the more popular characters over the not so popular ones because obviously that's going to equal more fans of that character buying the DLC.
It's what I'd do, Well said, although as I have said votes for ineligible characters (Kratos, Spongebob, Batman, Steve, Freddy) will be thrown out
Well he did add Ginger Marth as DLC even with Tr*nny Marth (jk; I ain't hating on her) in the roster, making it 5 FE reps in the game. 4 SF reps wouldn't be out of the question.
Not to.mention how Kid Icarus got three characters, (one of which was just a palette swap), and that we got two Marios and two Links

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
It's what I'd do, Well said, although as I have said votes for ineligible characters (Kratos, Spongebob, Batman, Steve, Freddy) will be thrown out

Not to.mention how Kid Icarus got three characters, (one of which was just a palette swap), and that we got two Marios and two Links
Obviously, those characters would have to have money spent on. Way to much. The most I see of a third party is Snake back, Bomberman, or Simon Belmont (lol Konami got dem characters but they are stupid).

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
True but let's think of it this way. What if the dev team wants to choose a character that they know will sell not only to fans of the character but to anyone in general? There are things the team needs to consider rather than choosing a character that fans wanted to see in the game like if enough people will buy it to actually consider the DLC a success. Veteran DLC is easy to sell because more people are familiar with it and know what they're getting. Ryu obviously sold a lot because he's one of the most iconic video game characters and from one of the best selling franchises.

EDIT: Sorry guys, ignore everything I said. I'm sounding incredibly anti-Krystal here for some reason...

Last edited:

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
In light of Krystal not being added to Brawl because her model would've taken more time to develop, let's keep reminding ourselves that Sakurai has a considerably smaller team working with him than he initially started with before starting work on Smash 4.
Exactly, and its Namco Bandai that's helping, and they were the ones behind this along with her design and all.
StarFoxAssault_CUBEBOX.jpg

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Obviously, those characters would have to have money spent on. Way to much. The most I see of a third party is Snake back, Bomberman, or Simon Belmont (lol Konami got dem characters but they are stupid).
I know Konami are idiots, I can also see Leon Kennedy as possible, that way Capcom's Big Three IPs (Mega Man, Street Fighter, and Resident Evil) are repped in Smash

Flavius

:^)
NNID
TheEdgyOne
Proving Sakurai obviously doesn't care how many reps a series gets. If fire emblem can go from 2 to 5 from one game to the next, Starfox can go from 3 to 4.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I know Konami are idiots, I can also see Leon Kennedy as possible, that way Capcom's Big Three IPs (Mega Man, Street Fighter, and Resident Evil) are repped in Smash
That probably won't happen. I don't think Sakurai would have 3 from one company.
And how Mario can go from 6 to 8 in one game to the next, and how Kid Icarus can go from 1 to 3
Well, Mario kinda deserves it being THE MOST SUCCESSFUL FRANCHISE NINTENDO OWNS AND IN VIDEO GAME HISTORY and all. You know, nothing that big.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Sure, we can move to other topics. One idea I have is having one of her alts be her Command outfit with her helmet and jacket.
I like that look for her default look, but with the helmet off.. (perhaps the helmet could still be on in one of her alts however). It's the look that gives her that 64 plus Command aesthetic that the other Star Fox characters have. I've also pointed to Wolfheart's sig design for Krystal as a great example. Similar to the Command look, it features a jacket and a scarf. Looks professional and awesome. Doesn't have the issues her Adventure's outfit would and is more interesting than her Zero Suit-ish Assault look. Personally, I prefer if Krystal is a more "seriously taken" character and I think having less revealing outfits help with that image problem, plus the jacket and scarf look just looks good too. I know it shouldn't matter but just look at how differently people react to Zero Suit Samus compared to just Samus.

Last edited:

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
And how Mario can go from 6 to 8 in one game to the next, and how Kid Icarus can go from 1 to 3
7 actually: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Rosalina & Luma, Bowser Jr., and............ Dr. Mario....

Yoshi bunched up in the Yoshi's Island series and Wario is separated for the WarioWare series. Also their icons are different.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
7 actually: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Rosalina & Luma, Bowser Jr., and............ Dr. Mario....

Yoshi bunched up in the Yoshi's Island series and Wario is separated for the WarioWare series. Also their icons are different.
Either way, technically those games are subseries of the main Mario series, wait a second, then technically Mario has 10 reps, including DK and Diddy Kong, though I do have a point about Kid Icarus, and that Fire Emblem is only big in Japan

Flavius

:^)
NNID
TheEdgyOne
I like that look for her default look, but with the helmet off.. (perhaps the helmet could still be on in one of her alts however). It's the look that gives her that 64 plus Command aesthetic that the other Star Fox characters have. I've also pointed to Wolfheart's sig design for Krystal as a great example. Similar to the Command look, it features a jacket and a scarf. Looks professional and awesome. Doesn't have the issues her Adventure's outfit would and is more interesting than her Zero Suit-ish Assault look. Personally, I prefer if Krystal is a more "seriously taken" character and I think having less revealing outfits help with that image problem, plus the jacket and scarf look just looks good too. I know it shouldn't matter but just look at how differently people react to Zero Suit Samus compared to just Samus.
I think if Sakurai added Krystal, her design would be fairly classy. Most of the female cast have non-sexualized designs. The only exception I think is Zero Suit Samus.

thief_of_demons

Smash Journeyman
True but let's think of it this way. What if the dev team wants to choose a character that they know will sell not only to fans of the character but to anyone in general? There are things the team needs to consider rather than choosing a character that fans wanted to see in the game like if enough people will buy it to actually consider the DLC a success. Veteran DLC is easy to sell because more people are familiar with it and know what they're getting. Ryu obviously sold a lot because he's one of the most iconic video game characters and from one of the best selling franchises.
I see where you're coming from. Personally I think they'll probably be looking at it from both aspects. If they were to completely disregard characters based on the number of fans and focus universally known characters, then most other popular characters such as Bandana Dee and Shovel Knight wouldn't have much of a chance either. Plus would just make the Ballot seem kinda pointless since they could instead just say ""hey, we're announcing this character as DLC because they're incredibly well known everywhere!" Without the ballot even existing. I think if they were to announce a character that was less well known, then it'd be a good idea for them to express how popular their franchise is instead.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Either way, technically those games are subseries of the main Mario series, wait a second, then technically Mario has 10 reps, including DK and Diddy Kong, though I do have a point about Kid Icarus, and that Fire Emblem is only big in Japan
Donkey Kong is its own series. They exist in the same universe but its its own series. If anything Mario is a spinoff of DK. The same applies to Wario but to a lesser extent. Yoshi's Island is basically a Mario series.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Dark Pit and Lucina were extra so those don't really count. He could've made Alph a clone instead of them but he decided with those. I think 4 is fine with Fire Emblem. 2 is fine for Kid Icarus.
Although I don't think we should have gotten Dr.Mario back, But after Paper Mario and maybe E Gadd, there is really no one else left to add from the Mario franchise, Waluigi is a background character who hasn't appeared in a Mario game that is canon, Daisy would be too much like Peach, and Toad, who would just scream and run around. Anyhow I can see Krystal getting a modified version of her Assault attire

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Although I don't think we should have gotten Dr.Mario back, But after Paper Mario there is really no one else left to add, Waluigi is a background character who hasn't appeared in a Mario game that is canon, Daisy would be too much like Peach, E Gadd might work, and Toad, who would just scream and run around
You do know Toad actually has moveset potential and saying he would just scream and run around is super ignorant.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Yeah, I don't think this lessens Krystals chances at all. If she was considered back then then that probably improves her chances by quite a lot. The fact they announced the ballot shows that they're willing to go all out with the characters, regardless of how complex they may be to model, because they have literally no control over who is going to get the most votes and if only votes for basic characters counted then that'd make the whole ballot thing very lacklustre.
Sadly, I think Wolf being cut in this game hurt what could've been amazing odds for her. Yes, I believe we can still get both characters, but Krystal's odds would've been even better if Wolf's cut hadn't happened to begin with. Suddenly Star Fox would just be looking for one DLC character. As it stands, Wolf is a vet character now with high demand... and there's evidence that Sakurai is quite comfortable bringing back vets if that's what the people want. Like was the case pre-brawl, totally original characters require more work and we just aren't sure how many of those Sakurai has planned and what the requirements are for him to feel the effort is worth it, beyond character popularity.

I think that article is a plus for Krystal since it shows he's considered her as a totally original fighter. At the same time however, he's since cut Wolf from the roster. Consider all he said in that article and the fact that Wolf is currently not in Smash anymore. It's interesting. I don't know that his consideration of Krystal means as much as it should simply due to Wolf's absence. That's basically my point I guess.

Oh, and just to reiterate. I want both characters in Smash.

Yeah, I think this is the case. There's that off chance that she could replace him, but Zero hasn't exactly made her more relevant than him, and every time a character from a series has "replaced" another in Smash, it's for that reason.

Last edited:
Top Bottom