• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203
What the.... Why is every one talking about Metroid in a Krystal forum!? Lets get back on topic people.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
After Krystal, I really don't think Star Fox will get any more reps, unless a new main character is added, Panther has decent popularity, but I can't think of a good unique moveset for him, Slippy and Peppy wouldn't fit the game, and Leon has the same problem, and Andross would have the exact same problem as Ridley
Andross and Ridley don't have the same problem. Ridley's problem is that he is proportioned weird (It can probably be fixed). Andross's problem is that he is literally just a face with hands.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Good art. I'm not sold on the Final Smash necessarily, but the illustration of how it would work is well made. Well enough to warm me up to it, heh.

Sometimes you can just tell when an artist is comfortable with their stuff. The natural lines create a rough yet concise picture. You can see the artist's process, which is proof of practice... and with practice comes a sort of muscle memory of how a picture is formed from mind to medium. It's nice to see basically. It's something that I wish was evident in my own stuff but I get by on trial and error and persistence rather than actual ability and work with honing it. I'd love to see more from this artist especially if they drew out more moveset ideas.

I'd also say that the artist's style comes through without hijacking the image really. Her tail is kind of huge and the chest seems a bit "emphasized" but not so badly that it throws me off... basically only minor things stand out. I see lots of Krystal art that feels weird because maybe the artist is used to a certain look and they force it on the characters. The picture Wolfheart07 shared, for instance, seems much more stylized and a bit weird, at least to me. Wolfheart has an eye for art that makes me feel this way though, heh. You can tell it has anime influences and the characters bodies are more "exaggerated human forms". Fox in particular looks silly with his "Ike body" and "anime-styled Fox head". Can you imagine him looking that way in Smash or any game? Seems comical.

Last edited:

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
Good art. I'm not sold on the Final Smash necessarily, but the illustration of how it would work is well made. Well enough to warm me up to it, heh.

Sometimes you can just tell when an artist is comfortable with their stuff. The natural lines create a rough yet concise picture. You can see the artist's process, which is proof of practice... and with practice comes a sort of muscle memory of how a picture is formed from mind to medium. It's nice to see basically. It's something that I wish was evident in my own stuff but I get by on trial and error and persistence rather than actual ability and work with honing it. I'd love to see more from this artist especially if they drew out more moveset ideas.

I'd also say that the artist's style comes through without hijacking the image really. Her tail is kind of huge and the chest seems a bit "emphasized" but not so badly that it throws me off... basically only minor things stand out. I see lots of Krystal art that feels weird because maybe the artist is used to a certain look and they force it on the characters. The picture Wolfheart07 shared, for instance, seems much more stylized and a bit weird, at least to me. Wolfheart has an eye for art that makes me feel this way though, heh. You can tell it has anime influences and the characters bodies are more "exaggerated human forms". Fox in particular looks silly with his Ike body and anime sFox head. Can you imagine him looking that way in Smash or any game? Seems comical.
In fact, that design for Krystal suits her well and I really dig it. As for the pic I shared with you all, read the captions mentioned by Fox and Krystal and you'll see why. The pic can be interpreted in multiple ways. Either way it's a cute pic.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
In fact, that design for Krystal suits her well and I really dig it. As for the pic I shared with you all, read the captions mentioned by Fox and Krystal and you'll see why. The pic can be interpreted in multiple ways. Either way it's a cute pic.

I had more written saying that the art you shared seemed to be going for a comical thing however. That sentence and a few others seem to be missing oddly. It was something I added after I'd written most of it already, but Smashboards went down late last night and when it came back my post may not have been the final version of what I'd planned to post.

Bone Conjurer

Smash Apprentice
Well yeah, to a degree. Andross is actually ****ing huge (bigger than an Arwing I believe). Ridley is somewhat big (he is one of the smaller Metroid bosses)
LOL I wonder how players would react to Andross getting shrunk down to near the other fighters' sizes...

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203
I also have a tag I always use when playing Online in Smash called, KrystalDLC and have times got people switching their tags to, Voted or YES! so I'm spreading the message as well.
I've begun to use this exact same tag while playing Sm4sh online myself recently and I got some interesting responses. I've had people switch there tag to YES/AGREED or they would switch it to WolfDLC/Vote4Wolf. I hope you don't mind me using the KrystalDLC smash tag LegendaryFoxFire, but I couldn't resist the opportunity to help promote Krystal for Sm4sh DLC. :D

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
I think that Event Horizon looks better than Zero. The only thing EH doesn't have over Zero is that it's not an official Star Fox game
I heard Nintendo is acknowledging fan games now, not in a way like it'd be canon or anything, but they know and like it. It may be the case for this, but beside that I still think Zero will fail mainly in that it's a second attempt to try cashing in on what barely remains now, at least it was confirmed it isnt effecting the original timeline. So say if it did fail miserably at least we could still see a sequel if they chose to, I just hope if that be the case they rewrite Command so none of the events, mainly Krystal being forced out for reasons that can be said about both Fox and Slippy happened, and that the anglers get wiped out easily then deal with a new antagonist soon after.

I'd love it if they explored Krystals origins too, if anything bothers me about a game, show, or movie, it's when they never explore a character(s) backstory, all we know is she's the last of her kind and she spent her years on Sauria both dealing with Scales tyranny and figuring out who she is and what happened to her people.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I'd love it if they explored Krystals origins too, if anything bothers me about a game, show, or movie, it's when they never explore a character(s) backstory, all we know is she's the last of her kind and she spent her years on Sauria both dealing with Scales tyranny and figuring out who she is and what happened to her people.
They should make it so we can learn about her background while at the same time she is finding out her backstory as well. I think it gets people more emotionally invested in the character.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I heard Nintendo is acknowledging fan games now, not in a way like it'd be canon or anything, but they know and like it. It may be the case for this, but beside that I still think Zero will fail mainly in that it's a second attempt to try cashing in on what barely remains now, at least it was confirmed it isnt effecting the original timeline. So say if it did fail miserably at least we could still see a sequel if they chose to, I just hope if that be the case they rewrite Command so none of the events, mainly Krystal being forced out for reasons that can be said about both Fox and Slippy happened, and that the anglers get wiped out easily then deal with a new antagonist soon after.

That would be perfect, that's what Event Horizon does right. Would any of you buy a spin off game starring Star Wolf?

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Which would take place before Adventures, and end when Krystal is captured, Fox would have an appearance later on in the game
OMG, yes. We need this prequel. They could literally pull anything out of their ass to make the backstory as amazing as possible. Flesh out her past and maybe give us a glimpse of the Cerinian civilization through snappy flashbacks. Avoid making it too introspective like Other M and let the player learn with Krystal like POKEMANSPIKA suggested. Recipe for a 10/10 game imo.

Rare will be sorely missed in this respect. They were adventure game savants, but at least there's still Platinum. They could produce it if Nintendo took the leash off and gave them some creative license. Evidently, Miyamoto doesn't give a flying flip about characters that aren't his own, so I don't see why he would be anal retentive over a Krystal spin off, which would honestly bode quite well for the project.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I'd be up for another Adventures game where Fox and Krystal are both sent down onto a planet and end up in different areas. Gameplay could be built around switching between the two as they're doing their own things. You could even vary up their weapon sets, with Fox wielding a blaster and more traditional sci fi weaponry while Krystal could have her battlestaff and techniques that were more magic-based.

...Of course, I've always had this headcanon that what appears to be "magic" is actually lost Cerinian technology that developed differently from most other cultures, and almost all of it was lost when the planet was destroyed...

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
OMG, yes. We need this prequel. They could literally pull anything out of their *** to make the backstory as amazing as possible. Flesh out her past and maybe give us a glimpse of the Cerinian civilization through snappy flashbacks. Avoid making it too introspective like Other M and let the player learn with Krystal like POKEMANSPIKA suggested. Recipe for a 10/10 game imo.

Rare will be sorely missed in this respect. They were adventure game savants, but at least there's still Platinum. They could produce it if Nintendo took the leash off and gave them some creative license. Evidently, Miyamoto doesn't give a flying flip about characters that aren't his own, so I don't see why he would be anal retentive over a Krystal spin off, which would honestly bode quite well for the project.
You have platinum, bandai, the zelda team, and monolith. Like the dead screenshot mentioned if either of em arent that good at making a good story, then perhaps having Cyberconnect2 would be helpful in not just the writing and characters personalities, but the characters and games design. If it meant having two teams working on one game to make it good, then so be it, as long as they cover her backstory and make her and everyone else more developed.

Speaking of, that guy on miiverse is asking a question about Adventures.

darklink34

Smash Journeyman
I'd be up for another Adventures game where Fox and Krystal are both sent down onto a planet and end up in different areas. Gameplay could be built around switching between the two as they're doing their own things. You could even vary up their weapon sets, with Fox wielding a blaster and more traditional sci fi weaponry while Krystal could have her battlestaff and techniques that were more magic-based.

...Of course, I've always had this headcanon that what appears to be "magic" is actually lost Cerinian technology that developed differently from most other cultures, and almost all of it was lost when the planet was destroyed...
That sounds fantastic, it could take place before assault or just after.
The star fox team could maybe find a clue that would lead them to a new planet that would hold the secrets to Krystals past. While approaching the planet something could happen that would cause Krystal to crash on the planet, getting her separated from the other members of star fox. Krystal would be working on her own, uncovering her past and finding a new evil (or old, maybe the villain could be the cause of what happened to Krystals home planet). Meanwhile Fox and others would be on a rescue mission trying to find Krystal.

This way the gameplay could feature different play styles like you said. Krystal being the staff user and Fox being a blaster user and hand to hand combat, or some other weapon! There's a lot of potential and possibilities with this stuff.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I have to admit, I'm really impressed by how well everyone's hung around. Even though Krystal isn't going to be in the new Star Fox game, her support for Smash hasn't fallen off in the slightest. As someone who's trying to gather support for a different character as well, I really see just how impressive that is.

Speaking of which, it's said character's turn in Rate Their Chances for another few hours still. If anyone here feels there's room in Smash for two spellcasting foxes, give it a look.

Infimus

Smash Apprentice
Star Fox: Event Horizon is a classic "Space Shooter Sim" inspired by the older Rail Shooters of the Star Fox series. It places a larger emphasis on All Range mode dog fighting and massive scale battles with hundreds of capital ships and thousands of fighters.

Star Fox: Event Horizon is being created with Freespace Open, and will be a standalone and completely free download when it is complete. Check out the Video section of the Media Gallery for trailers and gameplay footage as well as the Character and Craft sections for information on playable characters and vehicles.

Source: http://starfoxeh.weebly.com/

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Other than the creepily human proportioned characters (I prefer more cartoonish proportions for them like Fox does in Smash), this game looks visually better than Star Fox Zero in the space segments. And is a -fan game-.

The dual screen gimmick Zero has will be its downfall.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Other than the creepily human proportioned characters (I prefer more cartoonish proportions for them like Fox does in Smash), this game looks visually better than Star Fox Zero in the space segments. And is a -fan game-.

The dual screen gimmick Zero has will be its downfall.
And Not to mention the game's short length, Miyamoto's archaic views on story in games, and the over focus on a gimmick.

Bone Conjurer

Smash Apprentice
And Not to mention the game's short length, Miyamoto's archaic views on story in games, and the over focus on a gimmick.
Has the guy ever thought about why his games haven't been so successful these days, or is he still gonna act butthurt that after the rise of story in games, he and Nintendo are being left behind with their shallow, simple games? I just remembered that (from what a friend of mine said) that's one of the things that shows Nintendo's high-and-mighty attitude.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Has the guy ever thought about why his games haven't been so successful these days, or is he still gonna act butthurt that after the rise of story in games, he and Nintendo are being left behind with their shallow, simple games? I just remembered that (from what a friend of mine said) that's one of the things that shows Nintendo's high-and-mighty attitude.
I think that's just the fault of the Wii U, and even then there's Splatoon which is doing well, soooo.....

Last edited:

Bone Conjurer

Smash Apprentice

While that seems interesting, does magic (if Krystal's staff is really magic and not future-tech or science fiction) really fit in with the SF universe and its laws of physics (and not contradict it)?

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
How long is the game? For some reason I thought it was mentioned it was episodic, as in the story was as long as a feature length movie? Like the main story of the game is only 2 hours long? That can't be right.

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
I think that's just the fault of the Wii U, and even then there's Splatoon which is doing well, soooo.....
The thing is Splatoon was made by one of his students, and that succeeded for a number of reasons, one of em being dare I say because it had the material that appealed to certain people in both Japan and the US, that same thing that made Fire Emblem far more popular than it was. Had Star Fox did this still by not just being a sequel, but having Krystal, Katt, Amanda, and Lucy more involved would've definitely helped. Adding Miyu, Fay, and some newer characters would've helped it even further.

Though who knows, we'll find out how Zero does when it comes out, for now there's talk about the Amiibos. There's claim Zero's wont be locked DLC, but part of me doesnt buy it, it would be cool if by some dumb luck they made a Krystal amiibo along with the characters past 64, because then that at least gives hint on their part. To be honest I actually asked the manufacturer of the World of Nintendo figures if they planned on making Star Fox figures (Assault mainly) months prior to the presentation, and if I remember they said something about looking into that. It could just be a corporate response, but.

While that seems interesting, does magic (if Krystal's staff is really magic and not future-tech or science fiction) really fit in with the SF universe and its laws of physics (and not contradict it)?
Considering Andross had supernatural abilities after what he did along with what the enemies and bosses did, I wouldnt see why it would be an issue. There's still that stupid leg theory going about even after that was disproven a number of times.

How long is the game? For some reason I thought it was mentioned it was episodic, as in the story was as long as a feature length movie? Like the main story of the game is only 2 hours long? That can't be right.
Two hours it is, and if i'm not mistaken there's no branching paths but instead three different missions with different results. It might sound like it, but if you're not given the choice of switching paths, then it's not what it really is. It definitely wouldnt be if the ending's the same too.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Considering they just handwave how the sci-fi tech works...I don't think it's a contradiction. It could be a bit of a style clash if it was poorly implemented, but there's nothing inherently wrong with it.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
It really is only 2 hours.

Wow.

Coupled with the game's visuals looking rushed (although it took a serious hit to visuals trying to run the game on 2 screens in 60fps) and flat out bad. There are more polygons in Luigi's nose in Smash 4 than the giant ships in SF Zero's space level, and his is supposed to be one of the last "hits" the Wii U will be getting before the NX begins to loom around the corner, at the end of a console's life cycle when games should be at their best.

I hope this game isn't selling for $60 because it won't be worth it.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I was at least hoping the UI would be a little more creative than it is. Assault's was lovely. Zero's looks lifeless. Star Fox games generally pride themselves on stunning visuals, too. Does a game like this need 60 FPS? I hope the gameplay makes up for all the stuff I'm seeing.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

Wow.

Coupled with the game's visuals looking rushed (although it took a serious hit to visuals trying to run the game on 2 screens in 60fps) and flat out bad. There are more polygons in Luigi's nose in Smash 4 than the giant ships in SF Zero's space level, and his is supposed to be one of the last "hits" the Wii U will be getting before the NX begins to loom around the corner, at the end of a console's life cycle when games should be at their best.

At least the Wii U can go out with a bang thanks to Zelda. Just a side note, is anyone gonna buy an NX at launch? Unless there's a Metroid Prime 4 I'm certainly not, I'm not making the same mistake I did with the Wii U

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
At least the Wii U can go out with a bang thanks to Zelda. Just a side note, is anyone gonna buy an NX at launch? Unless there's a Metroid Prime 4 I'm certainly not, I'm not making the same mistake I did with the Wii U
I mean if they make Smash on it as a launch title (they won't but if they did) I'd buy it.

Last edited:

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace

Wow.

You know it'll be $50 or $60, and I still think Zero is already doomed anyway. I've said it before, but the series on top of the genre it is being irrelevant now, the fact this is trying to cash in on a near non existent base again is absolutely foolish. The fact it's being released right around the WiiUs ending period makes it worse.

Some argue Adventures was the downturn of the series, but as i've said said, I believe that's too coincidental and was actually the starting point of the downfall of on rail shooters as a whole as next to no one especially nowadays like em or even bother making em anymore. If you try looking this up, others will even explain why it's no longer a thing, the key point in that development mechanics have made it that obsolete.

Some may also think that the series would've still been as great if Adventures and the games that followed never happened, pretty much like the last part, but as i've said unless i'm mistaken there was absolutely no hint or mention of Nintendo ever working on another Star Fox game after 64. 64 came out in 97, Adventures came out in 02, Assault came out in 05, and Command came out in 06. The time span for a series that hasnt seen a sequel in 18 years would've already put it in the dead position, it might of gotten another game, but it would've most likely ended up like F-Zero where it suddenly dies off anyway. So really, think about it.

Nobody really knows, but these people should at least be thankful the series held up for this long. What i've heard is some of the people that wanted this are already complaining about it, which honestly I think they deserve that only because many like me wanted a sequel after so long, not another 64 cash in.

Top Bottom