• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Wow. Didn't think that they would do this. I'm really happy that the Starfox series is finally getting the love and attention it really needs. I would love to see the rest of the characters including Krystal and Wolf for instance as figures. Nintendo is really making a big deal out of the series after all.

Maybe we should petition Nintendo?

Bone Conjurer

Smash Apprentice
Maybe we should petition Nintendo?
Um, Nintendo doesn't listen to petitions; they didn't listen to the Region Lock one, and they don't seem to care about the hate that Metroid Prime Federation Farts gets (and thus they won't listen to the petition to get it canceled).

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Um, Nintendo doesn't listen to petitions; they didn't listen to the Region Lock one, and they don't seem to care about the hate that Metroid Prime Federation Farts gets (and thus they won't listen to the petition to get it canceled).
True, maybe we will get Krystal and Wolf figures if they both are in Smash

Infimus

Smash Apprentice
So hey, I did some lurking and found out that at some point this year that Jakks will be releasing Star Fox figures. The problem? It's just Fox, Falco, and Slippy for right now. I dont know if it'd do much, but if you feel like it would, you could try asking either Jakks or Nintendo themselves if they intend on making everyone else. I sorta did ask em in just that while i'm happy to see this happen, I feel it's more justifiable if it's everyone including the ones introduced in Adventures and Assault. I have yet to hear a reply from either of the two.

Good to see Nintendo caring for Star Fox, this makes me think that my theory of Zero being their way to test the waters for the series may be true, they could have just released that arwing amiibo they talked about, but instead they also decided to make a line of toys.

I wish they would eventually release more of these, I would definitely buy Wolf and Krystal figures.

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure they did listen to Operation Rainfall and got Xenoblade here, there was also Operation Moonfall that worked, but ironically they were already working on MM3D the moment OoT3D was released. Either way they do see em, but they obviously wont listen to all of them. I think in this case it's a matter of asking them to have Jakks manufacture the other characters.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure they did listen to Operation Rainfall and got Xenoblade here, there was also Operation Moonfall that worked, but ironically they were already working on MM3D the moment OoT3D was released. Either way they do see em, but they obviously wont listen to all of them. I think in this case it's a matter of asking them to have Jakks manufacture the other characters.
Well Wolf probably is planned for another series, one question I have is why the Wii U STILL doesn't have native DVD support

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
The "real" that you described is an excellent way to put what Star Fox needs, as opposed to "serious". Seriousness can easily become contrived.

Want to know what I think is a great example of this "real" tone that Star Fox could employ? Steven Universe.
Heh, I've only seen like 2 or 3 episodes of that show but it seems charming. The characters are unique and likeable, at least they seem to be. It's hard for me to gauge the show on little knowledge of it really. I get the feeling you feel the show is pretty rich but still light. So yeah, I get your point... I just am not getting a big "click" in my brain like I would if I'd actually watched much of it perhaps. Also, just yesterday I identified your avatar as a character from that show when before I only knew I recognized the silhouette from somewhere.
Yes, you're right about the character in my avatar being from that show. But you shouldn't be able to recognize the silhouette, because it's only been first shown about 2 days ago at the SDCC. I now changed it to a fan interpretation of what this character might look like when fully revealed.

Anyways, I thought it was cool that you made that connection.

Or for a game example, Kid Icarus Uprising. Doesn't take itself seriously in the slightest, but the humor is genuinely funny instead of trying to be cheesy, and the writing and voice acting are legitimately good.
This is perhaps a more relevant example, as it's a game. I agree wholeheartedly. I think a lot of good can come out of that kind of writing approach for Star Fox. A lot of people who have played the Star Fox games seem to like the characters a great deal even though we really don't know all that much about them. Employing a more self-aware and "real" writing style should make the characters stronger.

I only wonder what it would be like...

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
This is perhaps a more relevant example, as it's a game. I agree wholeheartedly. I think a lot of good can come out of that kind of writing approach for Star Fox. A lot of people who have played the Star Fox games seem to like the characters a great deal even though we really don't know all that much about them. Employing a more self-aware and "real" writing style should make the characters stronger.

I only wonder what it would be like...
People love relatable characters. You are right. Stone Cold Steve Austin was relatable and wrestling fans loved him for it

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
People love relatable characters. You are right. Stone Cold Steve Austin was relatable and wrestling fans loved him for it
You know, the funny thing is that the writing could be improved/changed without even needing changing the gameplay. I say "funny" because it is a rather simple change (compared to gameplay, etc.), and they wouldn't have to sacrifice the gameplay for it. It all depends on how they want to handle the characters, though. If they want to pander towards nostalgia, then it will do little for us to expect a change in how the characters are written.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
You know, the funny thing is that the writing could be improved/changed without even needing changing the gameplay. I say "funny" because it is a rather simple change (compared to gameplay, etc.), and they wouldn't have to sacrifice the gameplay for it. It all depends on how they want to handle the characters, though. If they want to pander towards nostalgia, then it will do little for us to expect a change in how the characters are written.
If Krystal's origin story was told in a future game or comic, would she be less hated?

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
If Krystal's origin story was told in a future game or comic, would she be less hated?
I could only hazard a guess. To be perfectly honest, I just don't know.

I think it all depends on how it is executed. Even then, the people who hate her now will have to overlook their feelings toward her. Unfortunately, that's nearly an impossible variable to account for.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I could only hazard a guess. To be perfectly honest, I just don't know.

I think it all depends on how it is executed. Even then, the people who hate her now will have to overlook their feelings toward her. Unfortunately, that's nearly an impossible variable to account for.
Alright I see, Nintendo should put more into an effort of character development

Last edited:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Alright I see, Nintendo should put more into an effort of character development
The best way to do it is to avoid the character development being contrived. That could be pretty difficult. It's easy for anything involving space to become contrived, as it is a frontier we can't actively explore ourselves as humans yet (beyond observation). Other than that, I don't think seriousness is the way to go either. A little seriousness from time to time can go a long way, but when something is serious all the time it can come across as just superficial and thus less relatable.

There is a similar-but-different downside vice-versa. It's difficult to accrue a wider audience if you're making something too silly all the time. Sometimes, it feels like Star Fox dips too far into the silly side of things. It can work at times, of course, but the sense of balance can become muddied and thus less relatable.

It feels like some titles and franchises work better by being silly, while others need that balance between silly and serious (some leaning silly, some leaning serious). I would argue that Pikmin and Mario are two franchises that benefit from being more silly (with the exception of the Mario RPG and Paper Mario games). Metroid on the other hand feels like a franchise that works when it leans more towards serious. It's just the tone and set-up of the franchises, respectively.

Star Fox on the other hand almost feels out of place -- almost like a lost sheep. I get that the characters are "cartoony" anthropomorphic animals. That's why it works to be silly at times. At other times however, some people might wish that it had more to offer.

This is why I think the "real" argument is brilliant for Star Fox. Instead of shifting more towards serious, it might work out better for Star Fox to present the characters and their universe in a way that feels real. It does not need to be "realistic". It just needs to feel real as a universe. To achieve that level of care among the people who play the games would be an impressive feat.

One of my greatest fears for Star fox as a franchise is just how thin a line it potentially has to tread on if it changes. It's extremely difficult to predict how the series will fare if they even make such a change. There are many questions. How would the older fans of Star Fox respond to such a change? How can we be sure that they could nail such a thin "Goldilocks Zone" for balance between writing and gameplay? Is it even possible for the franchise, given its set-up and design, to accrue a larger audience? What other adverse effects might result if they make such a change? And so on...

I'm sure many of us want to see Star Fox become something bigger than what it is. I'm sure many of us see the possibilities for the series. That's part of the reason why we're fans of it.

The good thing is that nothing ever truly "ruins" something. Everything can change, evolve. The only thing that really "ruins" something is our perception of whatever it is we disliked or put us off. We can, albeit sometimes subconsciously, change the way we feel about something based on our perceptions.

Sorry for the wall of text.

Bone Conjurer

Smash Apprentice
Unfortunately, you can't. You'll have to notify a mod to remove the duplicates for you. A quick report outta do it.

I reported them. It's too bad I have to waste other peoples' time, though.

Edit: Oh now my browser's moving. Finally!

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Uh, pretty much nobody is serious about requesting/suggesting Shrek.

@ jahkzheng jahkzheng

Fine, but remember that facts rule above all, regardless of positivity or negativity.
Facts and data are stand alone information. Conclusions can be made with this information, but the human filter will naturally emphasize and ignore some points in the process of interpretation.

Yes, you're right about the character in my avatar being from that show. But you shouldn't be able to recognize the silhouette, because it's only been first shown about 2 days ago at the SDCC. I now changed it to a fan interpretation of what this character might look like when fully revealed.

Anyways, I thought it was cool that you made that connection.
That is odd. Perhaps I just recognized the art style and the character looks vaguely like another.

Last edited:

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
As a followup to the figure preview and mentioning about giving feedback or asking Nintendo about the others being made, dont ask this in the Amiibo section, they'll think you're asking about the Amiibos even if you make it clear it isnt about it. Not that it's bad to ask about that possibility as I would go for Wolf and Krystal the most, but just in case.

In the meantime, I did see someone post the facebook image on DanSweetos twitter

Infimus

Smash Apprentice
I've been listening to this for almost an hour now.

This man helped Sakurai with the development of the first Smash Bros and also helped him finish Melee in time even though he was already the CEO, he made possible the Kanto region in Pokémon Gold&Silver something that GameFreak was unable to do, the original coding of Earthbound was a complete mess and he was able to make it work.

The thought of never having a Nintendo Direct again with him shatters my heart. Rest in Peace Iwata-san, we'll miss you.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
While Iwata's passing is sad, we should keep moving forward, I just hope whoever the new CEO is, ignores the shareholders demands for F2P games with microtransactions, F2P is not just unsustainable, it also rips off the consumer

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Rest in peace, Mr. Iwata. Your impact on the gaming world and on the world itself will not be forgotten.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Mr. Iwata, you were magnificent. We shall forever hold your trials and tribulations in our hearts. You had an unimaginably large part in shaping and impacting the gaming industry as a whole. Somewhere, among all the released and converted energy of the universe, among all ideas of heaven, you're flying with the wing cap...

"directly, to you."

Rest in peace.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I just dread what will happen to Nintendo now, that Iwata's gone, Will it lose what made it so special and end up just like Konami or Capcom?
No! We must stay strong. As fans of Nintendo, we must stay strong like this company has done throughout its history on multiple occasions. Now that Mr. Iwata's gone, things might change, maybe for the worse or for the better, but no matter what, we cannot lose hope in this company. This company means so much to many of us and we cannot let it die.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
No! We must stay strong. As fans of Nintendo, we must stay strong like this company has done throughout its history on multiple occasions. Now that Mr. Iwata's gone, things might change, maybe for the worse or for the better, but no matter what, we cannot lose hope in this company. This company means so much to many of us and we cannot let it die.
Wow well said

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The Kutthroats have set out to draw their character thanking Iwata for all he has done.

We invite you to do the same.

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
Not that it's a surprise, but the Smash section of Miiverse has been getting quite of bit of these. I dont know how it is in the other communities, but i'm willing to bet it's the same as how Smashes section is right now.

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
Not that it's a surprise, but the Smash section of Miiverse has been getting quite of bit of these. I dont know how it is in the other communities, but i'm willing to bet it's the same as how Smashes section is right now.

Yeah. I can't believe that he is truly gone and at such a young age of 55. He didn't deserve this at all. He will sorely be missed in the gaming world. Even Hideki Kamiya from Platinum Games for instance tweeted out and gave his condolences to Iwata. But even with his passing, we must remain hopeful and optimistic no matter what happens. Hopefully everything will turn out for the best for Nintendo and goes well and that they find a new CEO soon. Really like these Miiverse posts to make a tribute for him. Speaking of Miiverse posts, I was facing against my friend the other day locally in the Miiverse stage and I was playing with my main boy Fox and I stumbled upon this post in the stage you'll all like.

The message says: "Monado's Power? This is the Cerinian's Power. Vote Krystal."

It's amazing that she is getting a lot of support even in the Miiverse since she is pretty much one of the most requested characters for Smash 4's DLC alongside with K. Rool and Isaac(Golden Sun). After all this time and considering the fact that Starfox is becoming relevant once again this year because of Starfox Zero coming out this year and Command just came out recently on the Wii U's eShop, I think that now is the time that she finally has her chance to shine in the spotlight in Smash 4's roster and that the Starfox roster should get some more characters than just Fox and Falco.

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. I can't believe that he is truly gone and at such a young age of 55. He didn't deserve this at all. He will sorely be missed in the gaming world. Even Hideki Kamiya from Platinum Games for instance tweeted out and gave his condolences to Iwata. But even with his passing, we must remain hopeful and optimistic no matter what happens. Hopefully everything will turn out for the best for Nintendo and goes well and that they find a new CEO soon. Really like these Miiverse posts to make a tribute for him. Speaking of Miiverse posts, I was facing against my friend the other day locally in the Miiverse stage and I was playing with my main boy Fox and I stumbled upon this post in the stage you'll all like.

The message says: "Monado's Power? This is the Cerinian's Power. Vote Krystal."

It's amazing that she is getting a lot of support even in the Miiverse since she is pretty much one of the most requested characters for Smash 4's DLC alongside with K. Rool and Isaac(Golden Sun). After all this time and considering the fact that Starfox is becoming relevant once again this year because of Starfox Zero coming out this year and Command just came out recently on the Wii U's eShop, I think that now is the time that she finally has her chance to shine in the spotlight in Smash 4's roster and that the Starfox roster should get some more characters than just Fox and Falco.

I love that Miiverse post! I wish that stage was useable Online so messages like that could be spread to more people then just in Local Matches.

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
I love that Miiverse post! I wish that stage was useable Online so messages like that could be spread to more people then just in Local Matches.
I didnt even realize the Miiverse stage wasnt even playable online, though i've been terrible about playing the game since I own the old XL, and I despise it restarting every time I stop playing, so what would I know? No idea why I havent been touching the WiiU version either, but beside that I noticed this too.

Top Bottom