• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
The problem is that next to no one nowadays cares about the ironically bad concept, which some people defend. It's why many or at least what I witnessed is many saying Assault was better because it had more of a serious tone while still retaining the humor to it, what i'm saying is the ironically cheesy 80s concept no longer works because almost everyone now expects a game to be serious, not that i'm saying it cant have humor, but it's like how I say the puppet thing is irrelevant because no media ever does it except for one instance on Teen Titans Go, but that was parodying the concept as a whole. It's just something that doesnt really work now.

Another thing is, unless an achievement system is even involved with it or that you get something totally worth it, and I mean really worth it than the medals you get after many attempts of trial and error getting em, almost no one plays for the high scores anymore, nor do many games use such a thing.
The whole gaming industry is, in fact, moving to more serious stuff, but that doesn't necessarily mean that titles like this don't sell and are unwanted, just remember that one of the most anticipated games of 2015 is the sequel to this:

I also liked the tone of Assault, the game moved to a more serious tone but keeping the style of the previous game and i appreciate it for this, the decision for the tone of Zero is totally justifiable, it's a new game, but it still needs to keep the essence of the original, in fact from what i heard the VAs from 64 are coming back for this game, and from what i listened so far it's surprisingly good, way better than 643D and Smash 4.

Here's the thing about Star Fox Zero the only thing that we know by now is a short trailer, Treehouse footage of some of the levels, and some minor details the most important so far are the confirmation of the game being non canon and the lack of online multiplayer (at least for now). We have absolutely no idea how the game is going to be structured, there are clearly some changes like medals appearing on stages,the ones that you would get from high scores and the ally medals, gold rings being harder to find and not giving you more life and a 1up, that were not addressed by Nintendo, who knows how many there are, and how different the final product will be of the original title? So far I rather not jump to conclusions and just wait, we don't exactly have a lot to work with and the only thing that i am sure is that we are definitely going to have more information in the next Nintendo Direct.
I wouldn't say that people necessarily care more for a "serious tone" in games and are pushing them that direction. What they do care about is a deeper more "real" tone to their games. I say "real" because it doesn't need to be realistic, but it should feel real in that you can be invested and immersed in it. A game can be light-hearted and simple, but we still want interesting characters that aren't just a sprite in the corner. There was a time when our video game characters were just a few pixels tall and a face in your game's manual. That's all we needed. In this day and age though, you want to look into the eyes of the characters on your screen. You want to know what they are feeling even without words... unless it's part of their character to not know these things. It doesn't need to be super serious or cinematic, but it should feel "real".

Zero may yet do this although it seems like a rehash in many ways. For now all I see is blank faces in the corner. I think about the character Assault had, and, even moreso, Adventures. Again though, serious is not what we really want or need... at least not completely. Command tried serious and it seriously didn't work. I'm okay with the silliness of 64 myself, but I do want it to be more than just that. And remember that 64 did have it's serious moments. I still get chills fighting Andross and the whole James McCloud scene after... although I always laugh internally with the way Fox says "Father!?". The voice acting wasn't my favorite I'll admit. I preferred Assault's voice acting for everyone except that Fox felt flat... he was better in Adventures. The voice acting doesn't seem too bad in Zero so far. Much like 64 but a bit flatter in general perhaps. I care more that we get some proper characterization and a better look at the characters. It doesn't need to be via any dramatic plot either, it can just be by adaptive dialogue. We'll see how they handle the characters I guess.

Last edited:

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
A lot of what Star Fox became boiled down to what they (those involved with working on the series) wanted the specific target audience to be. At least that's what it feels like. To me.

If (big if here) that's the case, the question should be: what should they do to expand the audience?

I mean, it's either that or they're just making games because they can make games--which is similarly shallow.

On a slightly different note: if these past few games in the series have been more about experimenting and less about growing, then what is there to realistically expand the audience with? That's perhaps my greatest qualm with Star Fox for a while now. It almost feels like they don't really know what to do with the series; trying all kinds of different formulas and stepping back on more older formulas when newer ones don't come to fruition as they could.

:/
Pretty much what the screenshot I linked awhile back (that's now dead) suggested. Having Krystal and the other giris, and even introducing more in as a way of getting japans attention while still having the main crew in there without being completely overshadowed, while even hiring two different teams to work on the games as opposed to just one. It mentioned Cyberconnect2 doing to writing on the story, characters, lore, and even designing the characters as it was mentioned that japan actually hates the current look, while NamcoBandai or Platinum work on the overall development.

The novelty of 3D and controllers that rumble (SF 64 was the first game to have this feature) has worn off, so it's now much harder to make a rails shooter that appeals on a mass level. Gameplay, replayability, cringe-free dialogue, soundtrack (see Assault), multiplayer (see Assault), all these things need to be here to reel the lost fans in. Regain their trust by not doing anything wacky or off the wall for the heck of it, and take smart risks like what you did with 64 when you salvaged ideas from Star Fox 2 and introduced new vehicles. That would be my advice. The foundation is there, they just need to incrementally build on it with each new release without changing the genre. They shouldn't reach for the panic button either when the game cracks a million and fizzles out. Stay calm and stay the course if you know the game wasn't rushed and you had a great idea.

The marketing could be better, too. Le do le barrel roll only get's you so far. =P
If i'm not mistaken, rail shooters as a whole have long since died off, and really had they made the Star Fox game they claimed they tried working on for the Wii, it probably would've succeeded because there were a good chunk of rail shooters on there that were actually doing pretty well. It all died off around the end though, and ever since next to no one has ever bothered to making any more, granted you got Kid Icarus Uprising, but the rail segments are short and mostly consist of the on foot segments, plus it has the right content that regardless of all that, Japan loves it anyway. In fact that game was that close to being a Star Fox game, so really think of how that would've been of that were the case, i'm pretty sure Sakurai would've singlehandedly saved the series and prevented what i'm willing to bet will be a repeat of the Other M situation where not only did the creator cause conflict amongst the team with him as it's already being implied in a recent interview, but despite how many units sell, many will not appreciate it for a number of reasons.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
If I was the head of Nintendo, Here's What I'd do:
(sorry for going off topic for a second)
1). Reduce Miyamoto's and Reggie's roles greatly, and bring in new blood to revitalize the company while keeping the charm of Nintendo that people have come to love. 2). I'd try to get in touch with what Nintendo's Western fans want, give NoA and NoE more autonomy, and buy out several small Western developers, provide them with development kits, and have them develop games suited for Western tastes , (Not the dudebro idiots who play CoD).
3). Aggresively court 3rd party developers.
4). Be more aggressive in advertising
5). Develop consoles that have comparable technical specs to the competiton to attract 3rd parties, while making the more gimmicky controllers optional,
6). Launch a new console with an awesome launch library, with a proper new Zelda game, Metroid Prime 4 (or 5), Star Fox, a new Pokemon Stadium, Smash Bros, and a Mario Galaxy type game
7). Acquire the MLB and NBA license, buy out a sports game developer, resurrect the Pennant Chase Baseball and NBA Courtside IPs, and use popular athletes to advertise the games (I.E Giancarlo Stanton or Andrew McCutchen for Pennant Chase Baseball, LeBron James or Steph Curry for NBA Courtside)
(sports games are popular in Western markets, those two games would be mainly oriented towards the North American market, speaking of sports, Did you know that Nintendo owns a 55% stake in the Seattle Mariners? ,If you don't know, the Mariners are a Major League Baseball team)

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
1). Reduce Miyamoto's and Reggie's roles greatly, and bring in new blood to revitalize the company while keeping the charm of Nintendo that people have come to love. 2). I'd try to get in touch with what Nintendo's Western fans want, give NoA and NoE more autonomy, and buy out several small Western developers, provide them with development kits, and have them develop games suited for Western tastes , (Not the dudebro idiots who play CoD).
5). Develop consoles that have comparable technical specs to the competiton to attract 3rd parties, while making the more gimmicky controllers optional,
6). Launch a new console with an awesome launch library, with a proper new Zelda game, Metroid Prime 4 (or 5), Star Fox, a new Pokemon Stadium, Smash Bros, and a Mario Galaxy type game
7). Acquire the MLB and NBA license, buy out a sports game developer, resurrect the Pennant Chase Baseball and NBA Courtside IPs, and use popular athletes to advertise the games (I.E Giancarlo Stanton or Andrew McCutchen for Pennant Chase Baseball, LeBron James or Steph Curry for NBA Courtside)
(sports games are popular in Western markets, those two games would be mainly oriented towards the North American market, speaking of sports, Did you know that Nintendo owns a 55% stake in the Seattle Mariners? ,If you don't know, the Mariners are a Major League Baseball team)
I'm not even sure what Reggie really does other than have some influence on what we see stateside. He's not deeply involved in game production like Miyamato in any case. I don't know that him doing more or less would much change what we see Nintendo producing.

I don't know that Nintendo is built to truly keep up with the game plans of Microsoft and Sony, which is to push the fast processing power and highest graphics on their consoles. Nintendo has a niche locked down pretty well and that's how they separate themselves. If they try to compete with Sony and Microsoft using the same gameplan as them, they'll just be fighting a losing battle. I believe their IPs can carry the load pretty well however and that they should at least try to keep up with Sony and Microsoft. They don't need to "win" Sony and Microsoft's arms race or anything, that shouldn't be the goal, but their hardware should offer something relatively comparable while also offering the unique approach they provide in all their stuff. Not sure how comparable a console has to be for third parties to feel they aren't "dumbing things down too much" by porting on the weaker console.

Yeah, I was aware of Nintendo's relationship with the Mariners. NoA is based out of Washington after all. Lately, any game I see played at Safeco Field features Splatoon ads on the backstop, heh.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Why would Nintendo acquire rights to stupid NBA and MLB games when they have sports games of their own that are better?

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Why would Nintendo acquire rights to stupid NBA and MLB games when they have sports games of their own that are better?
Sports games sell in the West, that's why, and the Wii U needs the lineup diversity,
I'm not even sure what Reggie really does other than have some influence on what we see stateside. He's not deeply involved in game production like Miyamato in any case. I don't know that him doing more or less would much change what we see Nintendo producing.

I don't know that Nintendo is built to truly keep up with the game plans of Microsoft and Sony, which is to push the fast processing power and highest graphics on their consoles. Nintendo has a niche locked down pretty well and that's how they separate themselves. If they try to compete with Sony and Microsoft using the same gameplan as them, they'll just be fighting a losing battle. I believe their IPs can carry the load pretty well however and that they should at least try to keep up with Sony and Microsoft. They don't need to "win" Sony and Microsoft's arms race or anything, that shouldn't be the goal, but their hardware should offer something relatively comparable while also offering the unique approach they provide in all their stuff. Not sure how comparable a console has to be for third parties to feel they aren't "dumbing things down too much" by porting on the weaker console.

Yeah, I was aware of Nintendo's relationship with the Mariners. NoA is based out of Washington after all. Lately, any game I see played at Safeco Field features Splatoon ads on the backstop, heh.
What do you think of my ideas for the West and the sports games?

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Sports games sell in the West, that's why, and the Wii U needs the lineup diversity,

Yes, but they have their own series. Plus, they would have to negotiate with EA and those respective companies. Nintendo doesn't really care about those things. Nintendo doesn't really compete with Sony and Microsoft, they do their own thing. Also you do realize that you are not an experienced business person. Iwata is fine, Nintendo is fine, they just do their own thing.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Yes, but they have their own series. Plus, they would have to negotiate with EA and those respective companies. Nintendo doesn't really care about those things. Nintendo doesn't really compete with Sony and Microsoft, they do their own thing. Also you do realize that you are not an experienced business person. Iwata is fine, Nintendo is fine, they just do their own thing.
NBA Courtside and Pennant Chase Baseball (Was a planned GameCube exclusive) ARE Nintendo series, (Both were developed by Next Level Games), Since EA and 2K refuse to make their own games for Nintendo platforms and both licenses are up for grabs, Nintendo can make them. Doing their own thing may have worked for a short time with the Wii, but the Wii U sales are abysmal. No they don't have to compete in the graphical arms race, but they should not be ignorant of console market trends either, a sensible businessman adapts to changing markets, Nintendo hasn't done that. I do know a thing or two about business, I took Economics in High School and I am Jewish (not religous), saving money and making money are my national sports

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Sorry, I also happen to think that @ POKEMANSPIKA POKEMANSPIKA is kinda acting like a blind fanboy, and blind fanboyism is the biggest problem with the internet gaming community today, I do like Nintendo games, but I don't like what Nintendo has been doing the last few years, there's a difference

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Sorry, I also happen to think that @ POKEMANSPIKA POKEMANSPIKA is kinda acting like a blind fanboy
Wow, rude. You do realize that just because you took an economics class doesn't make you a professional business man. Iwata has been in control for some time and Nintendo is doing just fine. Why don't we stop talking about this now and get back to Star Fox. You literally rant about everything in this thread taking it off topic. Can we please just get back to Krystal support.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Wow, rude. You do realize that just because you took an economics class doesn't make you a professional business man. Iwata has been in control for some time and Nintendo is doing just fine. Why don't we stop talking about this now and get back to Star Fox. You literally rant about everything in this thread taking it off topic. Can we please just get back to Krystal support.
YOU CALL THREE YEARS OF LOSSES, "DOING JUST FINE"?!!!!!, Sorry to break this to you, but what sells well in Japan doesn't necessarily sell well in America, McDonalds knows that, so why doesn't Iwata get it

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
If you guys are just gonna go at it, might I recommend using the "conversation" feature?

All this flinging of vitriol isn't going to do this thread much good...

I'm not trying to blame people here, by the way. It's good to be passionate and all, but there are plenty of different ways to vent it out.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
If you guys are just gonna go at it, might I recommend using the "conversation" feature?

All this flinging of vitriol isn't going to do this thread much good...

I'm not trying to blame people here, by the way. It's good to be passionate and all, but there are plenty of different ways to vent it out.
Fine, Blind Fanboyism for SF64 is a problem

Old School Tommy

Smash Cadet
"Haters" come in all forms. Around here and most Smash-centric communities, I think we're mostly dealing with people that don't care about pairings, aren't necessarily "gay furries", and probably despise the notion of gay furry head-canon in their Star Fox as much as they do Krystal.

Yeah, there's a portion of the internet community that are Krystal haters like you describe, but take great care not to generalize all Krystal haters this way, because they aren't all that way and they'll use your generalizations and false labeling against you.

Logo doesn't like Krystal. I wouldn't say that he's a "hater" but he's clearly offended by the suggestion that him or anyone else that doesn't like Krystal might be gay because of their opinions. And it's not the label so much as it is the generalization. He could be gay for all we know and still be offended by the generalization. I know that's not what you or anyone else has been meaning to say, but that's just how it can sound. We have to be clear when discussing this aspect of the opposition we face as Krystal supporters, that only a small portion from a specific community of people are "gay furries" upset about broken head-canons. It doesn't describe a majority in the gaming community and it's not where most of the "haters" are coming from. As such, we should try using it as a "point" less often in here. Would be a different story if this was a furry board, but it's not.

I'll share a fun little "hater" theory in a spoiler below actually...

You know, I think we more often encounter Krystal haters that are straight males in these Smash communities. Partly this is an assumption just based on the demographic we can expect playing this game and frequenting it's communities. But it also makes sense when I think about all the times the "furry bait reason" is used. The people that use that against Krystal are most likely not part of the furry community and have no idea about the prevalence of the other Star Fox characters in that community. They probably hate the furry community in fact, since they use it's association as a reason to exclude Krystal. And they target Krystal specifically not because she ruined some pairing, they don't even care about that. They target her because she makes them uncomfortable. She has obvious human female qualities but she's not quite human, and the straight male brain can't help but notice her, get confused, and perhaps even disgusted. It's not that Krystal has art out there, all the characters have art out there, it's the thought of her that bothers them.

Of course, there's those that just parrot the "furry bait" one liner, even if they aren't bothered by that, because bandwagoning and because it's easier than coming up with reasons, heh. There's plenty of people out there with legit reasons for not liking Krystal, but when I'm talking about "haters", I'm defining them as those that hate without fair reason. And as a disclaimer... this was just a theory, not as accusation.

Still, I've even seen people disturbed by the thought of fully female video game characters. "Your not supposed to like them" is the thought I guess. Girl characters in a male saturated market get unfair treatment all the time basically. I feel like you're either supposed to love them or hate them, but mostly they're treated differently than their male character counterparts because they're female. I think part of the reason Krystal gets hated on a lot is because "you're not supposed to like her". Other female characters may be more acceptable to like, but then you get groups of dudes "loving" them too much, like in a weird way. Like I said, it's often a weird love or hate relationship with these characters in the male saturated gaming community.
I know. I said all haters aren't like that. I'm not gonna start calling Krystal haters "gay furries" like those who call Krystal supporters "furries" for no reason. I'm not like that.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Pretty much what the screenshot I linked awhile back (that's now dead) suggested. Having Krystal and the other giris, and even introducing more in as a way of getting japans attention while still having the main crew in there without being completely overshadowed, while even hiring two different teams to work on the games as opposed to just one. It mentioned Cyberconnect2 doing to writing on the story, characters, lore, and even designing the characters as it was mentioned that japan actually hates the current look, while NamcoBandai or Platinum work on the overall development.

If i'm not mistaken, rail shooters as a whole have long since died off, and really had they made the Star Fox game they claimed they tried working on for the Wii, it probably would've succeeded because there were a good chunk of rail shooters on there that were actually doing pretty well. It all died off around the end though, and ever since next to no one has ever bothered to making any more, granted you got Kid Icarus Uprising, but the rail segments are short and mostly consist of the on foot segments, plus it has the right content that regardless of all that, Japan loves it anyway. In fact that game was that close to being a Star Fox game, so really think of how that would've been of that were the case, i'm pretty sure Sakurai would've singlehandedly saved the series and prevented what i'm willing to bet will be a repeat of the Other M situation where not only did the creator cause conflict amongst the team with him as it's already being implied in a recent interview, but despite how many units sell, many will not appreciate it for a number of reasons.
5 star post. My biggest fear in this whole situation is that if Zero bombs, Star Fox will disappear without a trace for another 8 years. Second biggest fear is if it sells, Nintendo will think this is the interpretation Assault fans want and run with it forevea. Third biggest fear is that if it bombs, instead of falling off the map, they re-invent the series top to bottom and completely throw out the traditional gameplay concepts. Metroid Prime-style first-person action-adventure starring Fox McCloud. How does that strike you? :smirk:

You know, Krystal could be the Samus Aran Star Fox never knew it had. Orphaned girl from a destroyed planet, presumed last surviving member of her race, mysterious past, answering outrageously dangerous distress calls for free, one-of-a-kind high tech weapon...

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
You know, Krystal could be the Samus Aran Star Fox never knew it had. Orphaned girl from a destroyed planet, presumed last surviving member of her race, mysterious past, answering outrageously dangerous distress calls for free, one-of-a-kind high tech weapon...
But, Ridley didn't eat her parents in front of her. God, that's the best part.

Bone Conjurer

Smash Apprentice
Ugh, another Nintendrone. You should look at these vids:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEuhX3LHgbRlzPlDG-gPbNLpr7KRj-r9t

Bone Conjurer

Smash Apprentice

Well Reggie doesn't really do anything other than lie and damage control for Nintendo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbnqshjuubQ

As for their niche, their innovation, at least these days, is nothing but a lie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGN2hEqbktg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ4l8qYYQec

You know, we don't take kindly to trolls around here...

Well I've been viewing this thread for many months, but I haven't yet made an account until now. It's just I'm getting tired of the Defendo.
Anyways, I'm really hoping for Krystal DLC.

P.S. I do get the feeling that some here would not think I'm legit.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
But, Ridley didn't eat her parents in front of her. God, that's the best part.
It could either be the supposed theory that Andross destroyed Cerinia, or in my view, that like the situation the Saiyans had but instead involving the Truffles since they were the advanced ones, a tyrannical leader destroyed Cerinia as a result of something other than involving fear of a legend eventually coming to kick him or her in the face after years of service with him or her. Either way it would've been very interesting to know about Krystal, and I feel incredibly bad for her for them never exploring this.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
It could either be the supposed theory that Andross destroyed Cerinia, or in my view, that like the situation the Saiyans had but instead involving the Truffles since they were the advanced ones, a tyrannical leader destroyed Cerinia as a result of something other than involving fear of a legend eventually coming to kick him or her in the face after years of service with him or her. Either way it would've been very interesting to know about Krystal, and I feel incredibly bad for her for them never exploring this.
I know that we know next to nothing about Krystal's backstory, If I was making a Star Fox game, Story would have high emphasis,(along with gameplay of course), Backstories would be explained, such as Wolf having a rough childhood, and how the original Star Fox team formed. Slippy wouldn't be in a pilot role, he'd be in an Otacon-type role, and pilot mechs or the Landmaster

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
The more the merrier, I guess.

And to respond to POKEMANSPIKA, in Mario Kart you kinda do have to take a look at the map to see if someone has a blue shell or an item that is susceptible of making you lose a few places, so you have to stay vigilant at all times. As for Splatoon, my point is exactly that I do hide behind an obstacle, but that whenever I stop looking at the screen to plan my aerial strike, I get splatted. Because even though it doesn't take long, if you try to be really precise, you can't just touch the gamepad and be done with it, and it doesn't take much time for people to appear and destroy you, lol. Especially with the best gear available.

We should avoid the whole furry discussion, Krystal haters aren't necessarily fan of gay furries, much like Krystal fans aren't necessarily haters of gay furries. That, and furries don't necessarily represent the whole Starfox community. And, even if they somehow were, to each their own. But I agree, we should defend ourselves whenever someone tries to discredit Krystal for whatever baseless reason they can think of.

Also, going back a few pages, I took the poll and I saw that Krystal had something like 8X votes, which representend 7-8% of the sample. i think that's pretty good, especially when you see that the characters at the top aren't all contenders or viable DLC candidates (with the exception of K. Rool and Isaac and some others. Surprised to see Dixie so LOW at 11 votes). Also, I've been advocating for Krystal and recently managed to find a friend on fanfiction who was really hoping to see Krystal in Smash (I mentioned to her that Krystal should be part of her story lol, ), as well as Dixie (wow, look at that. Strange how many people favor both Dixie & Krystal).

Why don't we try to infer who's probably higher than Krystal and possible as Smash DLC? I only see two so far, K. Rool and Isaac but there are probably others that I am forgetting. What's everyone's take on it?

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
I wouldn't say that people necessarily care more for a "serious tone" in games and are pushing them that direction. What they do care about is a deeper more "real" tone to their games. I say "real" because it doesn't need to be realistic, but it should feel real in that you can be invested and immersed in it. A game can be light-hearted and simple, but we still want interesting characters that aren't just a sprite in the corner. There was a time when our video game characters were just a few pixels tall and a face in your game's manual. That's all we needed. In this day and age though, you want to look into the eyes of the characters on your screen. You want to know what they are feeling even without words... unless it's part of their character to not know these things. It doesn't need to be super serious or cinematic, but it should feel "real".

Zero may yet do this although it seems like a rehash in many ways. For now all I see is blank faces in the corner. I think about the character Assault had, and, even moreso, Adventures. Again though, serious is not what we really want or need... at least not completely. Command tried serious and it seriously didn't work. I'm okay with the silliness of 64 myself, but I do want it to be more than just that. And remember that 64 did have it's serious moments. I still get chills fighting Andross and the whole James McCloud scene after... although I always laugh internally with the way Fox says "Father!?". The voice acting wasn't my favorite I'll admit. I preferred Assault's voice acting for everyone except that Fox felt flat... he was better in Adventures. The voice acting doesn't seem too bad in Zero so far. Much like 64 but a bit flatter in general perhaps. I care more that we get some proper characterization and a better look at the characters. It doesn't need to be via any dramatic plot either, it can just be by adaptive dialogue. We'll see how they handle the characters I guess.
The "real" that you described is an excellent way to put what Star Fox needs, as opposed to "serious". Seriousness can easily become contrived.

Want to know what I think is a great example of this "real" tone that Star Fox could employ? Steven Universe.

Last edited:

Infimus

Smash Apprentice
Why don't we try to infer who's probably higher than Krystal and possible as Smash DLC? I only see two so far, K. Rool and Isaac but there are probably others that I am forgetting. What's everyone's take on it?
The only other characters that i can think of that are close to her are Bandanna Dee and Dixie Kong, but if we put veterans on the equation, Wolf and Snake are definitely there since they are highly requested, but judging by the recent news i think Snake chances to be a DLC fighter went from average to very poor, i hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
The "real" that you described is an excellent way to put what Star Fox needs, as opposed to "serious". Seriousness can easily become contrived.

Want to know what I think is a great example of this "real" tone that Star Fox could employ? Steven Universe.
Or for a game example, Kid Icarus Uprising. Doesn't take itself seriously in the slightest, but the humor is genuinely funny instead of trying to be cheesy, and the writing and voice acting are legitimately good.

Bone Conjurer

Smash Apprentice
The only other characters that i can think of that are close to her are Bandanna Dee and Dixie Kong, but if we put veterans on the equation, Wolf and Snake are definitely there since they are highly requested, but judging by the recent news i think Snake chances to be a DLC fighter went from average to very poor, i hope I'm wrong.
Yeah, I doubt that many people voted for Wolf, since they were so confident that Sakurai would add him as DLC regardless. Personally, I wouldn't mind making Wolf one of my mains and I wish the Wolf fans the best of luck (excluding conflicting with Krystal fans), but at least Sakurai's fan-service announcement increases Krystal's chances.

Although I asked one of my friends (and for the record, he isn't fond of Nintendo) about what he thought about the ballot, and he said that he doesn't see fans' votes being listened to, since Nintendo does not listen to feedback on more pressing matters (such as the Region Lock petition), and that it's even less likely that Nintendo would take requests for character playability, and that they are more likely to try milking DLC. I understand not appreciating the buzzkill, but this is something we should take into account.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I feel like Krystal's an A- Tier candidate, basically, where K. Rool is S and Wolf and Isaac are A. Bandana Dee is probably also an A-, but beyond those four, Krystal seems to have a leg up on the others whether in terms of support base, moveset potential, or not having outside issues that'd prevent them from being viable.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I feel like Krystal's an A- Tier candidate, basically, where K. Rool is S and Wolf and Isaac are A. Bandana Dee is probably also an A-, but beyond those four, Krystal seems to have a leg up on the others whether in terms of support base, moveset potential, or not having outside issues that'd prevent them from being viable.
Yeah, Any character that is in the game as an Assist Trophy is ineligible, Bayonetta is unlikely, Sora has licensing problems with Disney, Konami has no idea what the **** they are doing. And then there are the idiots of the Smash community, the ones who want Shrek, Son Goku, Freddy, and Steve, who have no chance in hell of ever being in Smash

Last edited:

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
So hey, I did some lurking and found out that at some point this year that Jakks will be releasing Star Fox figures. The problem? It's just Fox, Falco, and Slippy for right now. I dont know if it'd do much, but if you feel like it would, you could try asking either Jakks or Nintendo themselves if they intend on making everyone else. I sorta did ask em in just that while i'm happy to see this happen, I feel it's more justifiable if it's everyone including the ones introduced in Adventures and Assault. I have yet to hear a reply from either of the two.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
So hey, I did some lurking and found out that at some point this year that Jakks will be releasing Star Fox figures. The problem? It's just Fox, Falco, and Slippy for right now. I dont know if it'd do much, but if you feel like it would, you could try asking either Jakks or Nintendo themselves if they intend on making everyone else. I sorta did ask em in just that while i'm happy to see this happen, I feel it's more justifiable if it's everyone including the ones introduced in Adventures and Assault. I have yet to hear a reply from either of the two.

These are probably just the starers. They might do Peppy, Krystal, Wolf, Leon, Pigma and Panther next.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I don't really have an opinion. I will say that the long running sports game franchises have been honing their craft for a long time. Nintendo isn't just going to jump back into that game and produce quality akin to what's out there already, unless they borrow very heavily on what's been done by their competitors.

I know. I said all haters aren't like that. I'm not gonna start calling Krystal haters "gay furries" like those who call Krystal supporters "furries" for no reason. I'm not like that.
I totally got that. But I also saw how what you said could be easily misinterpreted. Especially when emphasized the validity of the "gay furry" argument before mentioning it's not always true as almost an afterthought. The person you were responding to I could see not getting the proper take away from that. You want to simplify the point and introduce what they aren't receptive to gradually. Simply countering their argument right off the bat wasn't going to be productive when it was clear there was a issue with communication that demanded explanation first. Basically, I was just saying, "careful with your words" not for what they mean but for how they could be interpreted.

Ugh, another Nintendrone. You should look at these vids:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEuhX3LHgbRlzPlDG-gPbNLpr7KRj-r9t
I see a clash of glass half empty and glass half full personalities here. Yeah, Spika tends to defend Nintendo and it doesn't always seem necessarily "correct". At the same time Ian often jumps to negative conclusions. You seem to be someone that sees a half empty glass too. The truth is, it's probably not as sunny nor as dire as any of you are claiming.

One thing that you should expect in a character support thread like this one is that you'll see more glass half full people. Glass half empty people are more likely to believe that whatever they want isn't going to happen and may not see the value in putting energy into hope. There's a bit of irony in hoping for good things from Nintendo while also expecting their eventual failure.

Heh, I've only seen like 2 or 3 episodes of that show but it seems charming. The characters are unique and likeable, at least they seem to be. It's hard for me to gauge the show on little knowledge of it really. I get the feeling you feel the show is pretty rich but still light. So yeah, I get your point... I just am not getting a big "click" in my brain like I would if I'd actually watched much of it perhaps. Also, just yesterday I identified your avatar as a character from that show when before I only knew I recognized the silhouette from somewhere.

Last edited:

Bone Conjurer

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, Any character that is in the game as an Assist Trophy is ineligible, Bayonetta is unlikely, Sora has licensing problems with Disney, Konami has no idea what the **** they are doing. And then there are the idiots of the Smash community, the ones who want Shrek, Son Goku, Freddy, and Steve, who have no chance in hell of ever being in Smash
Uh, pretty much nobody is serious about requesting/suggesting Shrek.

@ jahkzheng jahkzheng

Fine, but remember that facts rule above all, regardless of positivity or negativity.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
The Wii U's failure can't be blamed on anyone but Nintendo themselves. They read the market poorly, should have marketed it better, and shouldn't have rushed it to market

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07

Wow. Didn't think that they would do this. I'm really happy that the Starfox series is finally getting the love and attention it really needs. I would love to see the rest of the characters including Krystal and Wolf for instance as figures. Nintendo is really making a big deal out of the series after all.

Top Bottom