• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
To be frank with you I don't think our input.matters to Miyamoto who will make the game how he wants it
He doesn't have full authority over it though, he could easily be overruled by his superiors, and if say Zero fails even with its holiday release in that it both doesn't sell enough and gets minor or major negative feedback (low review score), they probably wouldn't allow him to direct the game or anything else. Japans lack of interest in this isn't helping either, and yet he wished they'd love it again

I dont think he's directing Zelda U, another series he created, but it was said he ruined Sticker Star.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
He doesn't have full authority over it though, he could easily be overruled by his superiors, and if say Zero fails even with its holiday release in that it both doesn't sell enough and gets minor or major negative feedback (low review score), they probably wouldn't allow him to direct the game or anything else. Japans lack of interest in this isn't helping either, and yet he wished they'd love it again

I dont think he's directing Zelda U, another series he created, but it was said he ruined Sticker Star.
True enough, if this game sells poorly, this could realistically be the game that tells Miyamoto that he needs to retire

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Why do you want Miyamoto to retire. Seriously, man its like he killed your family.
Calling for him to retire is a little too far, yeah. We are talking about the father of Mario and Zelda here, and he still does a lot of good work even now. That said, he's had a few missteps lately, and I do wonder if this could be another one of them.

Maybe it'd help him to take a break for a just a few months or so? Sharpen the saw, so to speak?

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Calling for him to retire is a little too far, yeah. We are talking about the father of Mario and Zelda here, and he still does a lot of good work even now. That said, he's had a few missteps lately, and I do wonder if this could be another one of them.

Maybe it'd help him to take a break for a just a few months or so? Sharpen the saw, so to speak?
And Donkey Kong, Star Fox, Pikmin, F-Zero, Nintendogs, probably some more in there.
Many and even Nintendo themselves have said he lost it in the past decade.
Everyone eventually loses it one day, but Miyamoto isn't there yet. He still makes great games even if some of them are kinda bad (Pikmin 3 is great).

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Why do you want Miyamoto to retire. Seriously, man its like he killed your family.
Because it's the time for the young developers at Nintendo to shine, Miyamoto has too much influence over the young talent and that he's stunting their growth, I just realized something, he should merely step back and give the newer talent more room

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Because it's the time for the young developers at Nintendo to shine, Miyamoto has too much influence over the young talent and that he's stunting their growth, I just realized something, he should merely step back and give the newer talent more room
He's doing that... The Mario series isn't directed by him I believe any more. Zelda is Aonuma (not young but member of OG team).

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I had enough faith that Miyamoto wouldn't include Krystal in Star Fox Zero, and it looks like that faith was redeemed! Thank you Miyamoto for disposing of Krystal, she isn't a real StarFox character. I feel relieved to know that they are phasing out the character. And when Wolf comes back, Krystal will officially have no chance of being in Smash 4.
You're just a genuine asshole, aren't you? Krystal was a great character completely deserving of being in Star Fox and Smash Bros, by the way.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
After the failure at E3 2015 and the overall performance of the Wii U since its launch, it is actually okay to say that today is the dark age of Nintendo gaming -- but I don't think Miyamoto is at fault for the matter at hand. I'll allow myself to add that putting Krystal in SF0 is not what would save the company.

SF0 does NOT look bad, but it could be way better. I was anticipating the launch trailer in impatience, expecting ZeldaU-like or KHIII-like visual graphics for the game. I also heard that the Star Fox-themed level in Bayonetta 2 is gorgeous, but I only started that game two days ago and didn't make it as far as to reach said level - so when I do reach it, I will be able to tell if that's how I would have wanted SF0 to look like or not.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
After the failure at E3 2015 and the overall performance of the Wii U since its launch, it is actually okay to say that today is the dark age of Nintendo gaming -- but I don't think Miyamoto is at fault for the matter at hand. I'll allow myself to add that putting Krystal in SF0 is not what would save the company.

SF0 does NOT look bad, but it could be way better. I was anticipating the launch trailer in impatience, expecting ZeldaU-like or KHIII-like visual graphics for the game. I also heard that the Star Fox-themed level in Bayonetta 2 is gorgeous, but I only started that game two days ago and didn't make it as far as to reach said level - so when I do reach it, I will be able to tell if that's how I would have wanted SF0 to look like or not.
Well there are ways to save the company, not shooting themselves in the foot with stupid decisions, like rushing the Wii U to market, when they should have waited a year to get 3rd parties on board and making the architecture similar to the competition to allow for 3rd party titles and making more of an effort to understand Western tastes, (and no I don't mean the idiot Dudebros who only play COD. I mean the tastes of their Western fanbase), which has been a problem, the West has largely been ignored by them during the Wii and Wii U lifespans

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace

I've seen it pop up every so often, but there's a screenshot of a discussion on how Nintendo could save Star Fox if they did the proper methods, which does sound like it's betraying a few things here and there, but it makes some major points in that two particular games became twice as popular because of what it offered. i'll have to see if I can find it again.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
I've seen it pop up every so often, but there's a screenshot of a discussion on how Nintendo could save Star Fox if they did the proper methods, which does sound like it's betraying a few things here and there, but it makes some major points in that two particular games became twice as popular because of what it offered. i'll have to see if I can find it again.

I'd love to see it yeah

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I wonder how much @ IanTheGamer IanTheGamer would still be ****ting on SFZ if Krystal were in it. It's not like the gameplay would change, the game would get longer, or the multiplayer would be different with her inclusion.

Also, a lot of people are really looking forward to SFZ, so you know... opinions and all that. Most people are of the consensus it was the only bright spot in Nintendo's whole presentation.

True enough, if this game sells poorly, this could realistically be the game that tells Miyamoto that he needs to retire
If this game sells poorly that means Starfox goes the way of F-Zero, not Miyamoto retiring. This is hardly the only game he's working on.

Last edited:

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
I wonder how much @ IanTheGamer IanTheGamer would still be ****ting on SFZ if Krystal were in it. It's not like the gameplay would change, the game would get longer, or the multiplayer would be different with her inclusion.

Also, a lot of people are really looking forward to SFZ, so you know... opinions and all that. Most people are of the consensus it was the only bright spot in Nintendo's whole presentation.

If this game sells poorly that means Starfox goes the way of F-Zero, not Miyamoto retiring. This is hardly the only game he's working on.
I wouldnt say that, Sakurai did consider making Star Fox before turning it into Kid Icarus. Maybe he'd jump back onto that idea if Zero were to fail, but I think it'd require some kind of voicing to convince Nintendo to get him to do it, I just hope to god if that be the case no one tries asking for the same thing again. I dont care if it has gameplay like 64 or anything like the sequels, I just want a sequel with everyone that's been introduced, but you know how Sakurai would handle it.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I dont care if it has gameplay like 64 or anything like the sequels, I just want a sequel with everyone that's been introduced, but you know how Sakurai would handle it.
In a way that we all speculate about but that turns out to not quite be what anyone guessed? :smash:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
This topic reminds me of a news article I read and posted here a few weeks ago. Obviously, this was prior to the Star Fox Zero news at E3.

I'll quote myself so as to include my original thoughts at the time I first shared it...

Recently read this article that at once gave me hope and concern for Star Fox Wii U.

https://dromble.wordpress.com/2014/03/15/why-rebooting-star-fox-isnt-easy-for-nintendo/

I mostly have to agree with this assessment basically, at least the part where she discusses how to help Star Fox Wii U gain more appeal. I really think a massive expansion of what Assault did is the best way to go. I've discussed my specific ideas in regards to this, if any of you remember, so I won't go into it too much.

Long story short, for anyone who doesn't know, I really think they could create massive replayablity if each member of the team could be picked as playable in the campaign and each team member had unique abilities or tools or dialogue that would allow special areas, items, or paths to open up. Playing through the game with each team member to experience all the content and being able to enjoy unique dialogue for these unique situations would be pretty sweet. Also, an unlockable Star Wolf campaign, maybe online and local co-op for the campaign, and a robust multiplayer. Of course, I think the campaign should be made longer too.

It's a formula I think would work, and this kind of depth of content is something that I don't think any other Nintendo franchise does really. I mean, the idea of team members with unique abilities being able to play levels has been done. DK 64 is a great example. The Country games and some Mario platformers do it to a lesser extent with less truly unique team members. But imagine "DK 64" levels of unique team member play, but with it extended not just to the characters on foot but in vehicles with unique abilities. Add to that unique path options for the characters due to their unique abilities/tools, all paired with unique dialogue. It just seems like too good of a way to extend content AND develop characters uniquely. I really hope it happens. I sure did say "unique" a lot.

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
To be fair he has a point. This game was supposed to introduce new gamers into the Star Fox series, With Star Fox being released around the same time as this...Only the old fans of Star Fox will really be the ones getting the game compared to newer people.
I have to agree. What Miyamoto is doing here with this game being a reimagining of the Starfox series, despite bringing back the veteran fans like us who played the Starfox games in the past, Nintendo is also doing this to introduce a new generation of fans who are new to the series and that could help. It needs more exposure and from what I saw after E3 this year, it looks like that besides releasing Xenoblade Chronicles X this December while making a deal out of it, they are doing the same thing with Starfox Zero making it such a big deal. But yeah, $50 is a reasonable price there for a new game instead of $60. Look at Tropical Freeze, it costed around that price and the game like that wouldn't take that long to finish it. It also did well in sales so I think with Starfox Zero, we should be fine when it comes in sales. I mean c'mon it's Starfox and like any other Nintendo franchise, it has its fanbase and we're glad that we're finally getting one after 9 years. Better than not having a new entry in the series at all. As for multiplayer, Miyamoto may have said that they have no plans yet for a online multiplayer. But he has not ruled it out yet and they could place it in later on. Right now, he wants to focus more on the single-player experience and here's the link to prove it http://nintendoeverything.com/star-...yer-a-possibility-for-the-future-amiibo-more/ . So relax guys. Between now til the Holiday 2015 season, expect to hear more on this game for sure.

BTW, since Sakurai did say that more DLC content is on the way in the last mini-Direct for Smash and that the Tourney mode will finally be available this August, it's possible that we'll get another Direct around that time and a good chance there that they could reveal the next DLC character which is most likely another veteran and as we all know, it's Wolf. Because Krystal as I mentioned before can be saved for the Smash Ballot along with K. Rool to be revealed.

Anyway, I found this pic online drawn by this artist who works at Archie Comics(responsible for the Archie Sonic and Mega Man comics) on Starfox drawn recently. The artist's name is Matt Herms himself and this pic looks great. Even shows our favorite blue vixen in there.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
It would be a shame if that was Nintendo's plan to artificially make SFZ feel better for the audience by surrounding it by a bunch of garbage and effectively making it the "star of the show", so to speak. I mean, they purposely didn't talk about Zelda Wii U. Zelda would easily overshadow Star Fox.

Then again, there were the few Zelda 3DS games...

Then again again, they did kinda go a little overboard with Mario's 30th anniversary... which is another franchise that has the potential to overshadow Star Fox...

I don't know anything anymore! :)

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
It would be a shame if that was Nintendo's plan to artificially make SFZ feel better for the audience by surrounding it by a bunch of garbage and effectively making it the "star of the show", so to speak. I mean, they purposely didn't talk about Zelda Wii U. Zelda would easily overshadow Star Fox.

Then again, there were the few Zelda 3DS games...

Then again again, they did kinda go a little overboard with Mario's 30th anniversary... which is another franchise that has the potential to overshadow Star Fox...

I don't know anything anymore! :)
That's the problem with Nintendo these days, it's mostly Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario, Pokemon,Pokemon, Zelda, Mario, Mario, Mario, Mario

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
That's what companies do with their best selling franchises. Every company does this *COUGH COUGH EA AND ACTIVISION*
Do you always blindly defend Nintendo? Personally I don't, when they do something stupid, I get mad. But when they do something good, I defend them. But these days they've done more stupid decisions than good decisions

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Do you always blindly defend Nintendo? Personally I don't, when they do something stupid, I get mad. But when they do something good, I defend them. But these days they've done more stupid decisions than good decisions
You do know that that is how companies work. They make the most games from the best selling series because they know it will sell.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
They said a couple months ago that Zelda U wasn't going to be in their E3 show. The game was taking longer than they thought it would, and so they didn't have what they wanted finished yet. We'll probably hear about it in the next Direct.

BTW, since Sakurai did say that more DLC content is on the way in the last mini-Direct for Smash and that the Tourney mode will finally be available this August, it's possible that we'll get another Direct around that time and a good chance there that they could reveal the next DLC character which is most likely another veteran and as we all know, it's Wolf. Because Krystal as I mentioned before can be saved for the Smash Ballot along with K. Rool to be revealed.
I actually forgot they gave a time frame for when Tournament Mode will be ready. So it's at least plausible that we'll get another mini-Direct in August, and that'd be the time to reveal the last character or two before they start pulling from the Smash Ballot!

I suppose that doesn't help us much specifically, unless the characters revealed are ones that'd be ahead of us in the pecking order.

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
Anyway, I found this pic online drawn by this artist who works at Archie Comics(responsible for the Archie Sonic and Mega Man comics) on Starfox drawn recently. The artist's name is Matt Herms himself and this pic looks great. Even shows our favorite blue vixen in there.

Seeing this makes me wonder why Nintendo hasnt considered letting them do a Star Fox comic series, you have Sega and Capcom letting them do Sonic and Megaman comics, so why not Nintendo allow them to do one on this? It would actually help a lot on the cast and events even compared to that non-canon comic that was made 20 years ago where just a bunch of things happened, and it would help bring in interest to the series as there's still people who read comics. There's even the Zelda manga, and they even rereleased the Link to the Past comic.

Do I dare suggest petition?

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Seeing this makes me wonder why Nintendo hasnt considered letting them do a Star Fox comic series, you have Sega and Capcom letting them do Sonic and Megaman comics, so why not Nintendo allow them to do one on this? It would actually help a lot on the cast and events even compared to that non-canon comic that was made 20 years ago where just a bunch of things happened, and it would help bring in interest to the series as there's still people who read comics. There's even the Zelda manga, and they even rereleased the Link to the Past comic.

Do I dare suggest petition?
I mean if the comic was canon, it would expand on the characters a lot more, although I'd rather have a manga (easier to collect and it keeps with the rest of the Nintendo series like Zelda, Pokemon, and Metroid which all have mangas).

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Another problem with Nintendo is that Iwata doesn't understand Western markets, he thinks what sells in Japan will also do well in the West, that's not actually the case. I believe that NoA and NoE need more autonomy. The West has been little more than an afterthought during the Wii U's lifespan

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Another problem with Nintendo is that Iwata doesn't understand Western markets, he thinks what sells in Japan will also do well in the West, that's not actually the case. I believe that NoA and NoE need more autonomy. The West has been little more than an afterthought during the Wii U's lifespan
I'm pretty sure the west is the one that wanted a new Star Fox. Plus if Nintendo deems a game too Japanese (Panel de Pon), they won't release here although they have been changing that (thank god).

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure the west is the one that wanted a new Star Fox. Plus if Nintendo deems a game too Japanese (Panel de Pon), they won't release here although they have been changing that (thank god).
Technically Star Fox is decently popular in Japan, and if that is true, why did a Nintendo employee admit they haven't been focusing on the West as much

Top Bottom