• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
This means it is probably more along the lines of Star Fox 64 in the sense that there are multiple routes you can take depending on your action, so that's pretty cool. ^-^
There better be a whole lot of different routes then, if they're going to justify the asking price.

Or maybe...something like multiple extra missions on the level you can access afterwards, like Sonic Adventure 2, or something.

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Smash Journeyman
There better be a whole lot of different routes then, if they're going to justify the asking price.

Or maybe...something like multiple extra missions on the level you can access afterwards, like Sonic Adventure 2, or something.
Yeah. Most of the new people Nintendo is hoping to draw into Star Fox with this game isn't going to do much if they see the game is only 2 hours. Even with Replay/branching paths, the new modern gamers they want to bring in just aren't going to pay 60 dollars for a two hour game.

SilverWolf7

Smash Apprentice
Yeah. Most of the new people Nintendo is hoping to draw into Star Fox with this game isn't going to do much if they see the game is only 2 hours. Even with Replay/branching paths, the new modern gamers they want to bring in just aren't going to pay 60 dollars for a two hour game.
A two hour game that likely has many different routes to take, great visuals, mechanics and replay value sounds like a good deal to me.

The only disappointing thing for me is that there is no online multiplayer. That really is ridiculous.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Its really sad the lore has to start from scratch again, its pretty messed up. Command screwed up the story and killed Krystal :(

Star Fox held the only nintendo lore I actually cared about and its a shame its been abandoned, at least the game will be good finally.

Last edited:

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
*facepalm*
I am not buying Star Fox Zero, I am not going to waste $60 on a two hour game. @ TheLegendaryFoxFire TheLegendaryFoxFire is right. With New Vegas, the game can last up to 200 hours. It's Miyamoto being out-of-touch again
Did you ever play through Star Fox 64? or even the original SNES game? A good playthrough can take UNDER 2 hours, its about the experience, Also, branching paths, multiple vehicles(on the same level which is new)

Also, they haven't said if its $60 yet, also they said last year it was going to be a more encapsulated experience, and episodic, so for all we know, they could be planning to support it with additional stories and content. This games format seems much more flexible

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Did you ever play through Star Fox 64? or even the original SNES game? A good playthrough can take UNDER 2 hours, its about the experience, Also, branching paths, multiple vehicles(on the same level which is new)

Also, they haven't said if its $60 yet, also they said last year it was going to be a more encapsulated experience, and episodic, so for all we know, they could be planning to support it with additional stories and content. This games format seems much more flexible
Well gameplay experience is nice and all, and the branching paths add replayability, but in this day and age
, games that are short don't get very good reviews even if they are good

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Splatoon's main campaign is pretty short. And that's a fantastic game.
Well Splatoon was sold on it's multiplayer. Star Fox Zero doesn't have that. No one will buy a 2 hour game regardless of if it has branching paths or different vehicles with no multiplayer. Miyamoto is a senile old crackpot. The only 2 hour games that people buy are on the EShop

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Well Splatoon was sold on it's multiplayer. Star Fox Zero doesn't have that. No one will buy a 2 hour game regardless of if it has branching paths or different vehicles with no multiplayer. Miyamoto is a senile old crackpot. The only 2 hour games that people buy are on the EShop
I'll buy it, so will anyone else who thinks the game looks fun.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
I will buy it as well, but you do have a good point, Star Fox has always been a tricky proposition as a standard price title as standards have changed for better or worse. I think there is a good chance Star Fox Zero will be a $50 release in the states, rather than a 60, its a semi-popular series, with decent sales. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze(which is a well refuted series with consistently great sales) had a $50 tag line. Heck in Europe Splatoon was a bargain price title.

So due to precedent, and being mid tier, I think it may be $50. But wait and see I guess

Infimus

Smash Apprentice
I think this is pretty relevant.

I'm not saying that the game is going to be good or not, i'm just saying that numbers alone don't prove a thing. We barely have any meaningful information regarding the way the game is going to be played, we need to see how this will actually work in action. The best thing we can do now is wait, if we were able to wait almost nine years for a new game we can wait a couple of months, i think it's safe to assume that new information will be revealed in the inevitable Nintendo Direct Damage Control Edition.

SilverWolf7

Smash Apprentice

I'm not saying that the game is going to be good or not, i'm just saying that numbers alone don't prove a thing. We barely have any meaningful information regarding the way the game is going to be played, we need to see how this will actually work in action. The best thing we can do now is wait, if we were able to wait almost nine years for a new game we can wait a couple of months, i think it's safe to assume that new information will be revealed in the inevitable Nintendo Direct Damage Control Edition.
lol "Nintendo Direct Damage Control Edition."

Yes, I agree. As I said, from what I played at E3 the game is really fun, at least I thought so. The others that I spoke with who also played it seemed to agree with me, even in regards to the motion controls. It is true the first level is strikingly similar to the first level of Star Fox 64, but that is not to say it is not very different either. More like a big reference. I am not worried about this being an actual 64 reboot. And even if it is, that means we're likely to get sequels eventually. I wonder if they would get Playtonic Games to make a new Star Fox Adventures! XD

Also to those deciding that they simply won't purchase the game after only seeing one trailer, I doubt Nintendo would feel any sort of obligation to make another StarFox game when the one they just made and tried to hype up pretty big, failed to sell. Which means whatever sort of StarFox game you are wanting, is unlikely to come, or at least will not come for a long time.

I'm not concerned with few people purchasing it anyway, but I think purchasing this game, and getting it enough sales, will serve as one of Nintendo's incentive to make more StarFox games.

Last edited:

Infimus

Smash Apprentice
Also to those deciding that they simply won't purchase the game after only seeing one trailer, I doubt Nintendo would feel any sort of obligation to make another StarFox game when the one they just made and tried to hype up pretty big, failed to sell. Which means whatever sort of StarFox game you are wanting, is unlikely to come, or at least will not come for a long time to come.

I'm not concerned with few people purchasing it anyway, but I think purchasing this game, and getting it enough sales, will serve as one of Nintendo's incentive to make more StarFox games.
Unlike some people, i think this is a promising game, i'm disappointed that they didn't take the series' universe forward and instead decided to go for a reimagining that we are still not sure if it's going to affect the series canon or not, but the actual gameplay looks amazing, and i look forward to give the game a try, but I am worried that the underwhelming Digital Event might affect people's interest in the game, because a good product associated to a bad presentation is almost bound to have bad sales.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Even though I might get Star Fox: Zero, the game will have some steep competiton throughout it's launch window, I mean it will have to compete with MGSV, Fallout 4, Halo 5, Forza, Star Wars Battlefront, Call of Dudebro: Recycled Ops Annual Map Pack update, and those aee just the games on PS4 and XBOX One

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Even though I might get Star Fox: Zero, the game will have some steep competiton throughout it's launch window, I mean it will have to compete with MGSV, Fallout 4, Halo 5, Forza, Star Wars Battlefront, Call of Dudebro: Recycled Ops Annual Map Pack update, and those aee just the games on PS4 and XBOX One
And fans of only about half of those would even care about a new Star Fox game to begin with. Your anger is getting out of hand.

Last edited:

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Smash Journeyman
And fans of only about half of those would even care about a new Star Fox game to begin with. Your anger is getting out of hand.
To be fair he has a point. This game was supposed to introduce new gamers into the Star Fox series, With Star Fox being released around the same time as this...Only the old fans of Star Fox will really be the ones getting the game compared to newer people.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Massive amount of lines? I mean there was so many it caused JAPANESE Voice Actors to lose their voice
Still it shouldn't take that long since I believe they are translating as they were making it. Also I don't understand why America gets Woolly World so late. Can they not just port the British version to America.

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
It probably means nothing, but I sorta gave Nintendo my input on Zero the other day as I wasnt too thrilled with it reusing the same story everyone already knows and that it may potentially throw out three sequels worth of story development along with the cast it offered, and they responded yesterday saying they were sorry that I wasnt satisfied with it, and that my feedback and potentially anyone elses that were similar will be documented and reviewed for consideration.

I know, I said I wouldnt care if it turns out it doesnt effect the sequels, i'd actually feel relieved if they confirm Zero isnt a reboot at all, but I absolutely hate it when something gets screwed over for no reason especially if you grew up with said sequels and enjoyed what they offered, even if they had their flaws. If you think giving em your concerns would do something, then feel free to do so, you'd have to essentially lie about the subject as there's no other option, but as I said it may mean nothing, just dont sound rabid.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Warning Received
I had enough faith that Miyamoto wouldn't include Krystal in Star Fox Zero, and it looks like that faith was redeemed! Thank you Miyamoto for disposing of Krystal, she isn't a real StarFox character. I feel relieved to know that they are phasing out the character. And when Wolf comes back, Krystal will officially have no chance of being in Smash 4.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I had enough faith that Miyamoto wouldn't include Krystal in Star Fox Zero, and it looks like that faith was redeemed! Thank you Miyamoto for disposing of Krystal, she isn't a real StarFox character. I feel relieved to know that they are phasing out the character. And when Wolf comes back, Krystal will officially have no chance of being in Smash 4.
This is the Krystal thread...

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
You are aware he wanted her in right, and the same thing could be said about King K Rool and crew not being real Donkey Kong characters.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Don't you have a bridge to go lurk under, or something?

_Sheik

Smash Lord
I have finished SF64 3D in one hour and seventeen minutes flat. Would still pay 60 bucks for SF0.

SilverWolf7

Smash Apprentice
Unlike some people, i think this is a promising game, i'm disappointed that they didn't take the series' universe forward and instead decided to go for a reimagining that we are still not sure if it's going to affect the series canon or not, but the actual gameplay looks amazing, and i look forward to give the game a try, but I am worried that the underwhelming Digital Event might affect people's interest in the game, because a good product associated to a bad presentation is almost bound to have bad sales.

Well we know it definitely isn't a sequel but we also know it is not a remake either, so I don't think it would be "canon" to any other StarFox game. It's just its own thing, at least that's what Miyamoto said.

What I wonder, is if that will last. lol

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Warning Received
Go **** yourself and ago off to *******

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Is that confirmed, because if not that's still what I'm going to imagine what it is.
I seriously doubt that Miyamoto would phase out a character due to a hate base. That's just really immature. Diddy Kong wasn't phased out when Miyamoto cut him from a Donkey Kong game

Besides, with no sign of ANYTHING from adventures or assault, and that Pigma's still alive, I seriously doubt it's anything but the game taking place chronologically before adventures.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
btw I kinda want to know why you hate Krystal besides the NOT A REAL STARFOX CHARACTER bull****.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord

Great and totally relevant video link. All those points makes sense for Star Fox, although I'm not certain they're all being handled well. Interesting that they showed Bayonetta as a good example...and we know who worked on that, right?

About the first point, I've been saying for months that Star Fox Wii U needs depth in character exploration and not necessarily story. One huge idea that I feel would really make this game great is if they actually allowed you to use the whole Star Fox team rather than just Fox. Each team member would have different skills and abilities and have access to different tools and as a result, different areas. Much of this notion of mine was tied up with the expansion and improvement of on-foot gameplay, and it doesn't appear that Star Fox Zero is doing that this time. Of course, varied gameplay options can be made available in different ways that don't necessarily utilize the characters, such as going through a level in a different vehicle... it's just that characters make things more interesting even if only by association. Seeing Slippy's idle animation and walking around as him means something and you connect to the character as you utilize their special skills in special ways. Going through a level in a walker instead of a tank counts on you connecting to the machine instead of a character. There's also no indication that we'll be using anyone else but Fox.

The second point... well, Star Fox is very much action oriented so having a shorter game makes sense. I'd still like more than 2 hours though. 5 feels more right. I think Assault was about a 3 to 4 hour campaign and 64 was a couple hours. But 2 hours isn't terrible obviously as long as the game has a ton of replayability. A robust multiplayer would really make the short campaign easier to swallow too. Extra content and ways to play as a reward for beating the campaign would be a huge deal that adds to replayability. Also, if the game is to have any amount of story, then cutscenes would be a good filling between the action. All these things should be a given for a game like Star Fox Zero if it hopes to be a success. So far we've not been shown much that proves these things are happening, but the potential is certainly there. I'm betting on replayability focusing on what 64 did with alternate routes and high scoring, but I'm hoping it's more than just that.

Last, the third point. I didn't expect this to be one of them. "Experimentation". Ironically, I'd say Miyamoto is one of the best when it comes to experimentation, though maybe he lacks in other areas. The control scheme couldn't be a better example.

I know this guy made this video just to talk about gamelength in general, but it sure applies to Star Fox. Whether these points are truly meaningful to the success of a shorter game, I can't say.. but the logic seems sound. So, based on the criteria given, Star Fox Zero should have a great opportunity to be a short game that plays well. But for us uninformed, it's only yet opportunity and not yet reality, regarding most of these points and the details that make them. Here's hoping Star Fox Zero achieves what potential it can given what it is and the great game it should be becomes reality. There's some aspects of the game that already fall short of my expectations based on what I know, but I can hope what I don't know is all good stuff.

Yes, I long posted again.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Great and totally relevant video link. All those points makes sense for Star Fox, although I'm not certain they're all being handled well. Interesting that they showed Bayonetta as a good example...and we know who worked on that, right?

About the first point, I've been saying for months that Star Fox Wii U needs depth in character exploration and not necessarily story. One huge idea that I feel would really make this game great is if they actually allowed you to use the whole Star Fox team rather than just Fox. Each team member would have different skills and abilities and have access to different tools and as a result, different areas. Much of this notion of mine was tied up with the expansion and improvement of on-foot gameplay, and it doesn't appear that Star Fox Zero is doing that this time. Of course, varied gameplay options can be made available in different ways that don't necessarily utilize the characters, such as going through a level in a different vehicle... it's just that characters make things more interesting even if only by association. Seeing Slippy's idle animation and walking around as him means something and you connect to the character as you utilize their special skills in special ways. Going through a level in a walker instead of a tank counts on you connecting to the machine instead of a character. There's also no indication that we'll be using anyone else but Fox.

The second point... well, Star Fox is very much action oriented so having a shorter game makes sense. I'd still like more than 2 hours though. 5 feels more right. I think Assault was about a 3 to 4 hour campaign and 64 was a couple hours. But 2 hours isn't terrible obviously as long as the game has a ton of replayability. A robust multiplayer would really make the short campaign easier to swallow too. Extra content and ways to play as a reward for beating the campaign would be a huge deal that adds to replayability. Also, if the game is to have any amount of story, then cutscenes would be a good filling between the action. All these things should be a given for a game like Star Fox Zero if it hopes to be a success. So far we've not been shown much that proves these things are happening, but the potential is certainly there. I'm betting on replayability focusing on what 64 did with alternate routes and high scoring, but I'm hoping it's more than just that.

Last, the third point. I didn't expect this to be one of them. "Experimentation". Ironically, I'd say Miyamoto is one of the best when it comes to experimentation, though maybe he lacks in other areas. The control scheme couldn't be a better example.

I know this guy made this video just to talk about gamelength in general, but it sure applies to Star Fox. Whether these points are truly meaningful to the success of a shorter game, I can't say.. but the logic seems sound. So, based on the criteria given, Star Fox Zero should have a great opportunity to be a short game that plays well. But for us uninformed, it's only yet opportunity and not yet reality, regarding most of these points and the details that make them. Here's hoping Star Fox Zero achieves what potential it can given what it is and the great game it should be becomes reality. There's some aspects of the game that already fall short of my expectations based on what I know, but I can hope what I don't know is all good stuff.

Yes, I long posted again.
STOP LONG POSTING!

jk its fine, but its like you're writing an essay.

Top Bottom