• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Indeed was the thrilling aspect of that stage. Stage elements like that make it challenging & canon to Starfox as well.

ChainsOfDusk

Smash Cadet
Soon we will have a Star Fox reveal, everything is pointing towards it, especially the lack of Star Fox info,
Especially the lack of Star Fox info for sure, seems they might be leading up to some big reveal. I'll be honest though, I think if Krystal was indeed within the roster, she would remain a hidden character rather than revealed. My reasoning for this is because she has such an issue with the vocal hatebase, which could have an opposite effect than hype. I know many people who want her in, and also a handful of people who just outright hate her (for the most idiotic of reasonings mind you, but to each their own I suppose).

I believe it would be within the best interests to keep her a secret character as to avoid this problematic situation, and will be the likely approach taken (as it also happens to be a trend with Star Fox characters).

Last edited:

ImOnlyHereToTalkStarFox

Smash Journeyman

By Jove, I think I've finally got it! :idea:

(Disclaimers are at the bottom of this post)

I believe I just found (and remembered) an actual piece of evidence that further suggests the possibility of this new theory taking place. No less, it's something Sakurai said. It's also something, ironically, most of us (those who've seen it) discredited as a slip up, or just something completely insignificant.

Do any of you remember when Sakurai said he treats Smash on the 3DS and Smash on the Wii U like Smash 4 and Smash 5 respectively?

http://kotaku.com/an-in-depth-chat-with-the-genius-behind-super-smash-bro-530744390

I'll wait a moment to see if you can see where I'm going with this---and why it's potentially very important to the new theory...

Here's the theory for those who haven't seen it yet, by the way:

Can you see why this information may be important to the theory?

If not, allow me to elaborate:

Firstly, while keeping the new theory in mind, this is evidence that both of the games won't be the same. Now, in a general context, this could seem insignificant. We should already know that both games will have different features already, what with all the different game modes (feasibly) and different stages.

However, what kind of differences would warrant the 3DS and Wii U versions to be called "Smash 4 and Smash 5" by Sakurai? Would the differences be limited to only the game modes and stages? I frankly don't believe so. By saying this, Sakurai has effectively taken on two iterations of Smash at the same time.

I think the differences include the different hidden unlockable characters in both versions as well.

I'm going to sidestep here briefly to clarify something I feel I didn't in the theory. When I said that both versions could have different unlockable characters to be transferred from the Wii U version to the 3DS version (and vice-versa), I meant these would probably those few hidden unlockable characters---not the characters we will know before the 3DS launch. I think the characters known before the 3DS launch are going to be readily available in both versions. Whether some of these already known characters will be unlockable or not won't mean anything. I'm referring specifically to those characters that are hidden (or potentially made for the initial roster on one of the versions---the roster on one version before transferring the character data to and/or fro).

Back to the differences in both versions.

Imagine this perspective:

What if both games were to be released at the same time, instead? If this were the case, I would be inclined to believe that each version would share the exact same roster, as the time frame wouldn't suggest much of a difference in each version (that time frame would also suggest horrible marketing; which, the marketing is a key point in the new theory). However, as you and I know, this isn't the case.

The real time frame between both releases is between 2-3 months. This gives Sakurai enough time to detail much of the Wii U version before its launch---especially since the info will focus specifically on the Wii U version, since the 3DS version would already be released.

Yes, Sakurai did say that the time frame difference was because "debugging the Wii U version takes longer than the 3DS version". This could easily be a partial truth. But...

Guess what? It's already a partial truth. I can prove it.

Let's take a look back at the marketing of Sm4sh.

As we should know, releasing both versions at the same time would be horrible marketing. The best way to handle marketing both games at once would be to release information about each version consecutively. First, release information about the 3DS version to make it appear more attractive than the Wii U one, leaving the Wii U version in the dark. Nintendo's strategy is painfully obvious, as the 3DS version comes out before the Wii U one. What this strategy does, is that it could entice you into buying the 3DS version when it comes out---for a couple reasons:
  1. We want to experience the new Smash as soon as possible. Since the version that currently appears the most attractive is releasing first, we may be influenced to purchase it.
  2. This reason partly intertwines with the first. Those who decided not to buy the 3DS version may eventually give into the pressure---the pressure to Smash. Thus, they may purchase the 3DS version sometime between the 2-3 month gap separating the 3DS version release and Wii U version release.
  3. You generally want to own both versions---in which case you've already decided the fate of your money, so it doesn't matter.
But wait, what about the Wii U version?

Oh, don't worry. Nintendo will make you want to buy that one too---just not now.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the crux of the new theory.

You see, Nintendo wants to make the most sales between all of their Sm4sh peripherals. In fact, any other sane business-oriented company in Nintendo's position would strive for the same goal---it's almost entirely for the money. Smash is a goldmine.

However...

There is an issue with our current knowledge/assumptions with how the Wii U version's content will be handled. Like I've said before, we're assuming that the Wii U roster is explicitly whatever the 3DS roster will be. How can we be so certain of this? We have no idea how the Wii U's content will be handled---Sakurai hasn't even added the Wii U version's homepage on the official site yet!

Besides, we were only ever accustomed to one Smash releasing per console generation---not 2. This is only given more credence by Sakurai's statement regarding both versions being Smash 4 and Smash 5 respectively.

Hypothetically, there is also an issue with Nintendo's marketing choices, if the rosters are explicitly the same in both versions:

If this is the case, the only things that would motivate people to buy the Wii U version over the 3DS version would be to have a version of Smash that would play on the bigger screen, have better graphics, and/or to have those different in-game features (unless they have some kind of other philosophy that drives them to buy it).

From this, we must ask this important question and answer it from a business perspective:

Would that be enough marketing security for Nintendo regarding the Wii U version's sales---especially considering that there are currently far more 3DS consoles out there in the world than Wii U consoles?

To us, it could seem that the answer would be yes.

However, if there are more 3DS consoles out there than Wii U consoles, the 3DS version is automatically considered more convenient for the consumer to purchase---at least in the general sense. Thus, the convenience of the 3DS version could triumph over those other reasons to buy the Wii U version, especially if they don't own a Wii U. I've already seen plenty of arguments on these forums about this issue. I'm sure these arguments have happened on plenty of other websites---and even offline---too.

Look, Nintendo doesn't just want the Wii U version to sell well---as all of their other Sm4sh peripherals. They want, extensively, the Wii U console itself to sell as well. Here's another question to consider:

Does the bigger screen, better graphics, and different stages/game modes warrant that Wii U console sale?

Actually, this question is almost impossible to answer, at least factually. It's a question about someone's perspectives. What do they prefer?

Can you see where I'm getting at? These are the questions that Nintendo must consider, since they're dealing with two different versions of Smash. Nintendo, as a business, must find a way to influence us into buying both versions---or at least to find the formula with the highest probable success rate regarding the sales of all Sm4sh peripherals.

Do you know what this formula is? If you know what mainly sells Smash, you should know the formula. It's the characters.

Alright, back to Sakurai's partial truth telling about the gap between the release dates of the 3DS and Wii U versions of Sm4sh---where he said "it was for the debugging purposes"...

What if the partial truth wasn't only for that surface-layer marketing I exposed just above?

What if the marketing included these hidden unlockable characters that need to be transferred from one version to the other in order to have the full roster in either game?

Just imagine how that would affect the consumer's decision among purchasing certain Sm4sh peripherals. We would effectively have to get both versions in order to have the complete Sm4sh roster. Yes, this would seem like a b*** move from Nintendo---but the fact that this possibility exists cannot be denied! Therefore, we cannot look at the 3DS roster (when the 3DS version releases) and say "that's all folks!", especially considering there's so much info currently unknown about the Wii U version!

Alternatively...

I've actually found yet another possibility.

Imagine the above happening. It'd be all the same. The only difference would be DLC.

What if Nintendo allowed cross-platform DLC to avoid any consumer backlash regarding their choice for version-designated hidden unlockables?

Now, imagine you've purchased the 3DS version only. What if Nintendo allows 3DS version owners to download the hidden characters from the Wii U version without having to own the Wii U? Of course, it would cost money, but not nearly as much as the Wii U + the Wii U version of the game. The same thing could work vice-versa for the Wii U version owners.

This way, Nintendo would effectively be catering towards both markets---as well as consumer interest. If they are geniuses, this would be the path they choose. And to think, this is all possible!

Now that I think about it...

Would you care to hear what exactly caused me to come up with this theory in the first place? Well, it really stemmed from a spot of information regarding Brawl's leaks. Here's an OP from a thread entitled "The Truth About Leaks: Why Don't Leakers Have The Full Picture?":

Pay close attention to the bolded part.

That's right. There were multiple, different builds released to the different playtesters for Brawl. Meaning:

Something similar---in regards to leaks---has happened before.

For Sm4sh, the Ninka/Vaanrose leaks (to which the newer 3-piece 3DS roster leak heavily agrees with) appear to stem from different playtester builds. It seems Sakurai is up to his old shenanigans again.

However, this led me to wonder about other potential gaps in the roster. If you read my original new theory post, you'd understand what I'm saying here. I'm referring to the lack of newcomers from Star Fox, Donkey Kong, Legend of Zelda, and Kirby.

If you read my original new theory post, you'd also understand that I was focusing on franchises, and not specific characters---for the franchises divvied by newcomer inclusion could have varied with each version of Sm4sh. If this is the case, then we could see playtester leaks appear that show newcomers from franchises that have a heavier influence on the West within the Wii U version. The opposite goes for the 3DS version---and these playtester leaks certainly seem to agree with this.

If you read my original new theory post, you would also understand the premise I set up for Sm4sh's general marketing: the East vs. West idea---marketing each different version more towards each culture. This also explains the color choice for each version of Sm4sh. Culturally, the East is more associated with Red, while the West is more associated with Blue. As you should know, and as I've mentioned in my original new theory post, Japan adheres to culture ideas strenuously. Thus, having them center their marketing strategy for Sm4sh around the East vs. West mentality is certainly not far-fetched.

Not only that, but dividing Sm4sh up and marketing it in a East vs. West sense would be absolutely genius! This way, instead of trying to market one version of Smash to the entire globe, they can focus on giving content specific to each version that would appeal with their respective marketing intent. Yet, at the same time, allowing the smashers options to use both versions' content simultaneously in each specific version, based on the cross-platform connections. That's pretty freaking genius, huh?

But wait,

I'm not done yet!

Does anyone remember this potential pattern/theory?

Well, we're nearing the release of the 3DS version, right? What does this mean, again?

It means we are close to receiving information about the Wii U version...

Think of it this way:

Which franchises have yet to get much content?

Besides Zelda, pretty much all of the franchises that are lacking newcomers. This includes Star Fox, Kirby, and Donkey Kong. Metroid is in another boat because of all of the potential and non-clarified Ridley teases.

Well, guess what? Donkey Kong and Kirby have yet to get Wii U stages! Star Fox's Wii U stage is barely known!

So... When would be the perfect time to reveal these stages/reveal more info about these stages?

That's right, when Sakurai begins to solely reveal info about the Wii U version---which is after the 3DS version releases.

Whether or not these franchises will have a reveal to solidify the idea before the Wii U version releases is up in the air. Right now, that doesn't necessarily matter, for my new theory remains possible with or without reveals.

However, the possibility of these stage reveals teasing a franchise newcomer as a version-designated unlockable for the Wii U version always exists!

Can't you see just how uncannily all these things can add up together?!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

*phew!*

This is it. I've laid all of my cards on the table. I'm unable to foresee any other possibility---beyond the possibility of these theories not coming true.

I apologize for the amount of Phoenix Wright content in this post. It gets me in the mood, and it keeps me sane while constructing these 5-6 hour long posts.

I also wish to apologize with this theory/post not having to directly relate to Krystal---but it is inclusive.

With that said, I wish to ask any mod who reads this:

Would you suggest me making a thread about this theory under the General Character Discussion forums? After all, it does have to deal with most other franchises not included in the newest leaks. First, I'd have to come up with a name for the theory, of course.

I merely used this thread to establish the base of this theory, and to hear basic feedback. That, and it does have to deal with Krystal, in part.

Hope you all enjoy.

EDIT: Under all of this, and considering the Wii U version coming after the 3DS version, it seems Sakurai might just pull the biggest troll move ever. This move would first devastate us Western smashers after the 3DS roster officially comes to light after its release (what with it not featuring the franchise newcomers that have heavy influence over here in the West). Then, Sakurai comes out with the ultimate surprise:

The Wii U version has these franchise newcomers. Honestly, without leaks, this would be absolutely unexpected.

You should just make a thread with this theory. I don't think the mods are coming anytime soon.

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
Especially the lack of Star Fox info for sure, seems they might be leading up to some big reveal. I'll be honest though, I think if Krystal was indeed within the roster, she would remain a hidden character rather than revealed. My reasoning for this is because she has such an issue with the vocal hatebase, which could have an opposite effect than hype. I know many people who want her in, and also a handful of people who just outright hate her (for the most idiotic of reasonings mind you, but to each their own I suppose).

I believe it would be within the best interests to keep her a secret character as to avoid this problematic situation, and will be the likely approach taken (as it also happens to be a trend with Star Fox characters).
all I say is **** the haters (kinda giving me a parody idea...) I agree there reasoning is the most bull**** excuses ive ever heard the common one being "she was in the bad games!" first off adventures wasn't that bad a little challenging but not bad plus you only played her once for like 10 minutes, assault was awesome and she should probally get a lot more inspiration from that since she was at her best in assault, and last command ok this one was bad and butchered her character but the last two games where ok so give me a damn fine reason and if you say shes a furry so what samus and Zelda get about the same type of disturbing rule 34 stuff.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

Although if she is in I expect her to be a starter cause the other two SF characters are clones (sorta) so who knows? I feel like if we get more info on the great fox stage soon she will be revealed, possibly the last before launch (hopefully after of before shulk though)

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
Although if she is in I expect her to be a starter cause the other two SF characters are clones (sorta) so who knows? I feel like if we get more info on the great fox stage soon she will be revealed, possibly the last before launch (hopefully after of before shulk though)
ridley though shulk would be to most people who the hell is that? however ridley could generate a lot but off of him wolf is kinda not so I just hope krystal isn't hard to get

ChainsOfDusk

Smash Cadet
all I say is **** the haters (kinda giving me a parody idea...) I agree there reasoning is the most bull**** excuses ive ever heard the common one being "she was in the bad games!" first off adventures wasn't that bad a little challenging but not bad plus you only played her once for like 10 minutes, assault was awesome and she should probally get a lot more inspiration from that since she was at her best in assault, and last command ok this one was bad and butchered her character but the last two games where ok so give me a damn fine reason and if you say shes a furry so what samus and Zelda get about the same type of disturbing rule 34 stuff.
^ Pretty much this. I don't hate them for hating Krystal, I just hate their opinion ( for reasons you've stated + others, it's really biased and void of reason).

On another note, I take it I'm one of the few that want to see her with her signature gatling gun from assault? She should use her staff but I think allowing her kit to have a variety of goods could be better (a tech savvy spellcaster).

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
^ Pretty much this. I don't hate them for hating Krystal, I just hate their opinion ( for reasons you've stated + others, it's really biased and void of reason).

On another note, I take it I'm one of the few that want to see her with her signature gatling gun from assault? She should use her staff but I think allowing her kit to have a variety of goods could be better (a tech savvy spellcaster).
staff would be cooler no offense but maybe that's the b move (except its automatic and it overheats)

ChainsOfDusk

Smash Cadet
staff would be cooler no offense but maybe that's the b move (except its automatic and it overheats)
Yes, agreed the staff should be dominant, but I'm hoping she uses some of the assualt items (grenades, shield, gatling gun) for some extra moves. When I thought of the gatling gun I pictured a delayed start up (or charge) that had high burst and eventually overheated.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
ridley though shulk would be to most people who the hell is that? however ridley could generate a lot but off of him wolf is kinda not so I just hope krystal isn't hard to get
I dunno a lot of people know who shulk is and he's one of the most wanted newcomers from what I've seen, If ridleys in I expect him to be secret

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
I posted on the other thread since plenty of people seemed to be reading it but apparently didn't know how to start the conversation, lol.

TBH, a lot of people go 'WTF' at the mention of Shulk. I mean, I'm French, so it's understandable. Not even sure the game has been translated lol, but I really don't think a LOT of people know who he is, apart from the Smash fanbase.

ChainsOfDusk

Smash Cadet
I never heard of xenoblade till I came to the smash boards.
Same, I remember hearing his name and how he was a "most likely" candidate, and having to actually make another tab and search him up. Surprised a character I had never heard was so likely, but then again so was the FE rep's back in melee (Haha! I remember playing, seeing Marth & Roy and being like "Who the hell are these guys?!").

Fox fan6667

Smash Cadet
does anyone still know about krystal being in the new game star fox wii u? Cuz i dont know yet. So far they have fox,falco,slippy, And peppy. Also will the new smash have the stage builder? Also what about bring back 64s stages?

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
does anyone still know about krystal being in the new game star fox wii u? Cuz i dont know yet. So far they have fox,falco,slippy, And peppy. Also will the new smash have the stage builder? Also what about bring back 64s stages?
Nope, we don't know ANYTHING about StarFox Wii U yet. Miyamoto will probably show it in a future Direct, but there's no way in hell that Krystal will be absent from it.

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
Same, I remember hearing his name and how he was a "most likely" candidate, and having to actually make another tab and search him up. Surprised a character I had never heard was so likely, but then again so was the FE rep's back in melee (Haha! I remember playing, seeing Marth & Roy and being like "Who the hell are these guys?!").
I knew his name but I was like 'lolwut, you sure this guy's a strong contender...?', mainly because I thought Xenoblade was a fairly obscure game.

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
Well, they wouldn't port the same stages over and over again, would they ?

And speaking about stages... I know it's really unlikely, but what if they made a stage based on the future Starfox entry ? I don't think it's really a possibility, maybe as DLC but...

There's also one thing to note. Miyamoto said that 2015 would be the year of Starfox, and I highly doubt Starfox would only get a game during its own year. Combine this with the fact that his word is apparently supreme at Nintendo, and maybe he does have the power to have Sakurai include Krystal in SSB4.

Year of Starfox with only one game = bleh. But with a Starfox character in Smash, or Starfox stuff in general in it it could be possible. I just don't see only one game. What are your thoughts on this ?

D

Deleted member

Well, they wouldn't port the same stages over and over again, would they ?

And speaking about stages... I know it's really unlikely, but what if they made a stage based on the future Starfox entry ? I don't think it's really a possibility, maybe as DLC but...

There's also one thing to note. Miyamoto said that 2015 would be the year of Starfox, and I highly doubt Starfox would only get a game during its own year. Combine this with the fact that his word is apparently supreme at Nintendo, and maybe he does have the power to have Sakurai include Krystal in SSB4.

Year of Starfox with only one game = bleh. But with a Starfox character in Smash, or Starfox stuff in general in it it could be possible. I just don't see only one game. What are your thoughts on this ?
If year of Luigi has taught me anything, its that I don't expect more than 3 games to be made in a single year. We'll have to see how it rolls later on...

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Adventures and Assault HD?
I could get behind a HD remake of Star Fox Adventures (That is if they'll actually do it which seems like a pipe dream :( ). Perhaps then we'll actually know more about Krystal & maybe have a bonus expansion that lets you play as her instead of 10 minutes at the beginning.

I dunno about Assault as much as I like it...they'd have to make the game longer & rework the controls to not make it feel sloppy (Especially when you're on-foot)

Shred of possibility here, but a sequel to the stand-alone game that is Starfox Adventures 2?. . .?!?!?!?!?!
Eh, in the case of another Star Fox Adventures game, I'd rather it be a prequel although I wouldn't mind a sequel since its one of my favorite titles in Star Fox.

Last edited by a moderator:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I'm a bit confused. Is Krystal more or less popular in Japan or something?
He's saying that the 3DS version is the "East" version, because it has a bunch of characters that are more popular/recognizable in Japan, but it also has characters like Little Mac and DHD, which are more popular/recognizable in the West.

ImOnlyHereToTalkStarFox

Smash Journeyman
He's saying that the 3DS version is the "East" version, because it has a bunch of characters that are more popular/recognizable in Japan, but it also has characters like Little Mac and DHD, which are more popular/recognizable in the West.
Maybe little mac is revealed becuase he is the first from his series and DHD No comment till confirmation.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Refer to edit 5 of the theory---my context on that point was confusing:

EDIT #5: There was a point I made in the theory that can sound like I'm referring to the 3DS's potential hidden characters being the incentive for the 3DS version's sales. That's not entirely what I was going for---allow me to clarify:

The reveals that lead up to the 3DS version's release build marketing for the 3DS version already. The East doesn't need the incentive because they already have it. The reveals we've had so far seem to cater more towards the East. Little Mac was probably just a "taste" of what's to come for the Wii U version. This is why it makes sense for the 3DS version to come first as well, for the marketing has, so far, focused on that version instead of the Wii U version.

As for the Wii U version, well, there's less time for reveals. In this sense, having unlockable characters as the further incentive is understandable from a marketing perspective---especially if they're from the franchises that have a heavier influence on the West.

I wasn't trying to bundle the Wii U and 3DS versions together with this point---my context in that area can appear that I have. I apologize in advance.

Here's a link to the thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...s-feature-different-hidden-characters.365209/

ChainsOfDusk

Smash Cadet
Good to see that the theory is gaining ground and support, but do keep in mind we need to keep topics related to Krystal (in some degree) from this point on before admins get upset (although this theory did start up on this thread and was somewhat Krystal related due to her inclusion possibilities, and branched out from there).

Just mentioning, I would be somewhat surprised if she (Krystal) didn't make it in, given the nature of the roster setting up a female character selection (and how she was the most requested female character for Brawl). So don't worry guys she likely has a high chance of being playable, and based against other characters (hints, trends, history, etc.), I think she has one of the highest chances among any of the newcomers.

Curious, what's your opinion on her inclusion possibilities?

Last edited:

ImOnlyHereToTalkStarFox

Smash Journeyman
Good to see that the theory is gaining ground and support, but do keep in mind we need to keep topics related to Krystal (in some degree) from this point on before admins get upset (although this theory did start up on this thread and was somewhat Krystal related due to her inclusion possibilities, and branched out from there).

Just mentioning, I would be somewhat surprised if she (Krystal) didn't make it in, given the nature of the roster setting up a female character selection (and how she was the most requested female character for Brawl). So don't worry guys she likely has a high chance of being playable, and based against other characters (hints, trends, history, etc.), I think she has one of the highest chances among any of the newcomers.

Curious, what's your opinion on her inclusion possibilities?
She definitely has a lot going for her. More then people on the smash boards believe.
She has cameos, trophy, popularity, stage based off a game that included her, and move set potential. Also 2 theory's that has been shown to be quite reliable. Her chances are definitely high. I'm not too worried.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
My opinion is decent. 50/50 for anything I feel has an inclusion expectation.

Edit: I feel this way especially for Krystal taking into her demand for a female character in the Super Smash Brothers roster. She could easily spicen up the Starfox series In many ways.;)

Last edited:

ChainsOfDusk

Smash Cadet
My opinion is decent. 50/50 for anything I feel has an inclusion expectation.
To me 50/50 is a great chance to make it in for me, oddly enough. I think her inclusion rate follows as 50% playable, and 50% AT (dear god no please!). I always have to admit her popularity has fallen down, but she's still there.

What I'm counting on is that she was considered immediately after Brawl when the characters for the next title were under consideration. That would have been her prime time.

Top Bottom