• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

Aurora Sparkle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aurora-Sparkle
most leaks have krystal??

I haven't seen a single one that includes her
Yea, This.

I like to look at fake leaks mostly for amusement while I'm waiting for the game- but I don't think I've seen a single "Leaked" Roster that contains Krystal.
Afaik, most places consider Krystal to be in the "Geno" camp - a characters who's chances are literally zero, who's supported by hopeless idiots.
NeoGaf especially. The Krystal hate there is Strong. Lol.

BlindFox

Smash Journeyman
I really want Sakurai to put those characters that the haters are always b*tching about, just to silence them. "Krystal is for furries "Ridley is too big", etc. I'm sure that all these people already have their fav character on the roster so they have fun playing around with the other character supporters feelings.

Also, I want to talk about the stages today. Melee had 2 Star Fox stages. Brawl had 2 too, one being the classic from Melee. We already know that we're going to have a stage with assault's great fox. The idea that everyone have is a dynamic stage, moving around from the different planets of the lylat system. If it's not like that and it's just the star ship moving around the space, any Idea for a new stage besides the sauria one?

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I really want Sakurai to put those characters that the haters are always b*tching about, just to silence them. "Krystal is for furries "Ridley is too big", etc. I'm sure that all these people already have their fav character on the roster so they have fun playing around with the other character supporters feelings.

Also, I want to talk about the stages today. Melee had 2 Star Fox stages. Brawl had 2 too, one being the classic from Melee. We already know that we're going to have a stage with assault's great fox. The idea that everyone have is a dynamic stage, moving around from the different planets of the lylat system. If it's not like that and it's just the star ship moving around the space, any Idea for a new stage besides the sauria one?
Something for command from the 3ds version, not sure what though. Although a SF643D stage seems more likely

Last edited:

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I'm thinking that the most likely SF maps we would see on the 3DS version would be something from either Command or a Re-make of a previous SF map.

Weavel

Smash Ace
I'm thinking that the most likely SF maps we would see on the 3DS version would be something from either Command or a Re-make of a previous SF map.
I can't think of a command map that would look good in smash bros.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
By the way, I'm going to try to finish my moveset idea for Krystal today.
Can't wait to see it! I actually came up with one a few days ago, but nobody gave it the time of day.

I would love to get some feedback on it! I'll repost it now!

What Krystal needs is a blend of both games. Have the staff function as a melee weapon, but include the Gatling Gun, Telepathy as a counter attack or dodging method, and even Grenades. I would do it like this:

A-Staff Swing. Krystal maneuvers the staff and strikes the foe with a quick three swings. The attack is abrupt, but powerful.

Side-A: Fire Push: Krystal lunges forward and strikes the foe with her staff. The attack has a fire elemental effect.

Down A: Staff Sweep: Krystal strikes both sides of her with the staff. Opponents on each side of her will get hit.

Up A: Staff Shock: Krystal lifts her staff upward and pulls any character who makes contact with her will get pulled into the staff and takes a huge amount of shock damage and gets launched upwards.

F-Tilt: Krystal simply double kicks upward.

Nair: Twirl: Krystal twirls her staff andinflicts a number of hits on her opponent.

Dair: Assault Heel: Krystal's meteor smash! Krystal simply stomps on her foe with the heel of her boot. While this may not seem like much, I feel like it's something that would really fit her character, since it seems like a lady-like move that would fit her well.

Sair: Roundhouse: Krystal performs a powerful roundhouse kick in midair. Direct contact will this kick will result in decent damge.

Uair: Flip Kick: Krystal does an upward flip kick in mid air, a move meant for keeping your opponent up in the air. Can be a knockout move when opponent's damage is high enough.

Neutral B: Gatling Gun: Krystal charges a powerful Burst from her Gatling Gun. When the attack is fully charged, she shoots out a burst of laser rounds that inflicts a good amount of damage. The attack can be put away when fully charged.

Side B: Freeze Charge: Krystal charges in place as her staff begins to emanate a fog. Once she releases, she charges forward at the opponent. If the opponent is hit, they will be frozen solid and sent upwards. This would be a great setup for some combos in the air.

Down B: Staff trap/Staff Quake: If Krystal is on the ground, she smacks the tip of her staff against the ground and any opponent in the radius will fall into a pit trap. If she is in the air, she will charge at the ground with her staff and cause a shock wave that will damage anyone in the radius.

Recovery: Rocket Jump: A chargeable recovery where Krystal rides her staff like a skateboard while it propels her upward. The longer it's charged, the farther it will go.

Grab: Krystal simply grabs the opponent. If no throw takes place, Krystal will simply kick the opponent.

FGrab: An interesting move. Krystal straps a grenade to her opponent and pushes them away. The explosion is minor, but still causes damage.

DGrab: Krystal Steps over the foe and shocks them with the staff.

UGrab: Krystal kicks her foe in the air and shoots them with the uncharged Gatling gun rounds.

Final Smash: Cloudrunner Assault.

Krystal sends out a distress signal to an old friend. On screen, she will stand in place and say, "I need your help." Soon, the cloudrunner from Adventures will swoop in pick Krystal up. The cloudrunner will shoot massive fireballs at the stage at a slow rate, but will also be able to attack foes with it's claws.

ImOnlyHereToTalkStarFox

Smash Journeyman
Can't wait to see it! I actually came up with one a few days ago, but nobody gave it the time of day.

What Krystal needs is a blend of both games. Have the staff function as a melee weapon, but include the Gatling Gun, Telepathy as a counter attack or dodging method, and even Grenades. I would do it like this:

A-Staff Swing. Krystal maneuvers the staff and strikes the foe with a quick three swings. The attack is abrupt, but powerful.

Side-A: Fire Push: Krystal lunges forward and strikes the foe with her staff. The attack has a fire elemental effect.

Down A: Staff Sweep: Krystal strikes both sides of her with the staff. Opponents on each side of her will get hit.

Up A: Staff Shock: Krystal lifts her staff upward and pulls any character who makes contact with her will get pulled into the staff and takes a huge amount of shock damage and gets launched upwards.

Nair: Twirl: Krystal twirls her staff andinflicts a number of hits on her opponent.

Dair: Assault Heel: Krystal's meteor smash! Krystal simply stomps on her foe with the heel of her boot. While this may not seem like much, I feel like it's something that would really fit her character, since it seems like a lady-like move that would fit her well.

Sair: Roundhouse: Krystal performs a powerful roundhouse kick in midair. Direct contact will this kick will result in decent damge.

Uair: Flip Kick: Krystal does an upward flip kick in mid air, a move meant for keeping your opponent up in the air. Can be a knockout move when opponent's damage is high enough.

Neutral B: Gatling Gun: Krystal charges a powerful Burst from her Gatling Gun. When the attack is fully charged, she shoots out a burst of laser rounds that inflicts a good amount of damage. The attack can be put away when fully charged.

Side B: Freeze Charge: Krystal charges in place as her staff begins to emanate a fog. Once she releases, she charges forward at the opponent. If the opponent is hit, they will be frozen solid and sent upwards. This would be a great setup for some combos in the air.

Down B: Staff trap/Staff Quake: If Krystal is on the ground, she smacks the tip of her staff against the ground and any opponent in the radius will fall into a pit trap. If she is in the air, she will charge at the ground with her staff and cause a shock wave that will damage anyone in the radius.

Recovery: Rocket Jump: A chargeable recovery where Krystal rides her staff like a skateboard while it propels her upward. The longer it's charged, the farther it will go.

Grab: Krystal simply grabs the opponent. If no throw takes place, Krystal will simply kick the opponent.

FGrab: An interesting move. Krystal straps a grenade to her opponent and pushes them away. The explosion is minor, but still causes damage.

UGrab: Krystal kicks her foe in the air and shoots them with the uncharged Gatling gun rounds.

Krystal sends out a distress signal to an old friend. On screen, she will stand in place and say, "I need your help." Soon, the cloudrunner from Adventures will swoop in pick Krystal up. The cloudrunner will shoot massive fireballs at the stage at a slow rate, but will also be able to attack foes with it's claws.
I like how you literally created a complet move set that I feel could actually work. If Krystal gets in the game I would not be disappointed if this was her move set. Like the idea of Gatling replacing the usual blaster like shot with the staff. Adds that assault feel to her. What should she have for taunts ?

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I like how you literally created a complet move set that I feel could actually work. If Krystal gets in the game I would not be disappointed if this was her move set. Like the idea of Gatling replacing the usual blaster like shot with the staff. Adds that assault feel to her. What should she have for taunts ?
Well from what I've understood based on her actions in the titles she takes a part of, she's very humble, but not aftaid to show off is she needs to.

That being said, I could see her taunts looking a little like this:

U-Taunt: Krystal twirls her staff and then slams it to the ground, showing off her skill with it.

S-Taunt: Krystal Giggles and says, "You're gonna have to try harder than that!"

D-Taunt: Krystal shows off the Gatling Gun and says, "Now this is my kind of fight!" This would be paying homage to her Lylat Cruise taunt in Brawl.

That's what I put together, but I'd like to hear your input!

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace

I actually really like all of those ideas. You wouldn't mind If I incorporate a few of those into my moveset, would you? I'm currently working hard to make something really interesting, though some of those ideas I like better than some of mine (mainly the influence from Assault). I''ll give you credit when due, namely for inspirations regarding specific moves.

By the way, my post is gonna be long---like feature-length long... okay maybe not that long.

I just go into heavy detail with each move, describing the positioning of the staff and whatnot. I'm aiming to provide a detailed visual idea for those unable to see the uniqueness of a physical staff-based combatant.

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
Ahem...so let me start off why she could likely be in....so first let's talk about the 3 characters (notice one new in each new game) they all are very well fan favorites (Fox and falcon both are used by pros).
Now of course we usually got a common trait if one follows this pattern (Mario and pokemon for example) and we usually get atleast one each game.
2.lots of female characters have been added so I doubt we will see slippy
3.with star fox assault getting a stage let's see the other 2 characters that are in the squad are slippy and krystal..
4. It's been asked since 2002 guys a huge demand.
5.what other character can fit as a starfox character besides her.

Now I know there's alot of other reasons but those are my main 5

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
To be perfectly honest my opinion on Krystal being in Smash Bros. was more positive earlier in development. I personally like the character for who she is in Star Fox Adventures. However, I do believe that while Star Fox is getting a long overdue revival it is not quite popular enough these days to deserve four representations. Would it be a bad thing? Well, no. But it would feel bittersweet knowing that the last original Star Fox title was back from 2006 and very few people played it, even with the title itself was good. Why should it get that many characters when even Metroid had more regular releases?

They could replace one of the other two Star Fox characters with Krystal to solve the issue above, but that would just create more problems than solutions. Falco could not easily be cut. While he is a semi-clone of Fox, he has been in the last two games, giving him credibility among the Smash fan base. But Wolf could not easily be cut either because he isn't a clone of Fox. He is a unique, villainous character. While not exactly popular, I think it would be a shame to remove him knowing that Ike is returning to accompany Marth.

It should also be put into consideration that a healthy amount of Nintendo fans do not like Krystal for one reason or another, more so than Falco and Wolf. Be it for her somewhat sexualized design, or the fact that her appearance is associated with the decline of Star Fox's popularity, it can't be ignored that Krystal isn't exactly a beloved Nintendo heroine like Zelda, Palutena, or Lucina. Only time will tell whether any of these issues are acknowledged by Sakurai. If Krystal is a newcomer I would probably enoy her inclusion, but I hope that it doesn't mark the end for Falco or Wolf.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I actually really like all of those ideas. You wouldn't mind If I incorporate a few of those into my moveset, would you? I'm currently working hard to make something really interesting, though some of those ideas I like better than some of mine (mainly the influence from Assault). I''ll give you credit when due, namely for inspirations regarding specific moves.

By the way, my post is gonna be long---like feature-length long... okay maybe not that long.

I just go into heavy detail with each move, describing the positioning of the staff and whatnot. I'm aiming to provide a detailed visual idea for those unable to see the uniqueness of a physical staff-based combatant.
Don't worry, I give you my blessing. I was personally really happy with the turnout, so I'm interested in seeing which moves you incorporated.

Can't wait to see it!

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388
To be perfectly honest my opinion on Krystal being in Smash Bros. was more positive earlier in development. I personally like the character for who she is in Star Fox Adventures. However, I do believe that while Star Fox is getting a long overdue revival it is not quite popular enough these days to deserve four representations. Would it be a bad thing? Well, no. But it would feel bittersweet knowing that the last original Star Fox title was back from 2006 and very few people played it, even with the title itself was good. Why should it get that many characters when even Metroid had more regular releases?

They could replace one of the other two Star Fox characters with Krystal to solve the issue above, but that would just create more problems than solutions. Falco could not easily be cut. While he is a semi-clone of Fox, he has been in the last two games, giving him credibility among the Smash fan base. But Wolf could not easily be cut either because he isn't a clone of Fox. He is a unique, villainous character. While not exactly popular, I think it would be a shame to remove him knowing that Ike is returning to accompany Marth.

It should also be put into consideration that a healthy amount of Nintendo fans do not like Krystal for one reason or another, more so than Falco and Wolf. Be it for her somewhat sexualized design, or the fact that her appearance is associated with the decline of Star Fox's popularity, it can't be ignored that Krystal isn't exactly a beloved Nintendo heroine like Zelda, Palutena, or Lucina. Only time will tell whether any of these issues are acknowledged by Sakurai. If Krystal is a newcomer I would probably enoy her inclusion, but I hope that it doesn't mark the end for Falco or Wolf.
Finally, someone who knows about the 2015 star fox wii u game! but falco( if not cut ) needs to get a new moveset and final smash!

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
But there is a difference, while series like metroid and kirby are bigger series with more releases and bigger fanbases, they don't have many usable characters. All metroid has left is ridley (maybe dark samus although she's an assist now) and all kirby has is bandana dee and when you think of big nintendo characters he doesn't exactly come to mind

Last edited:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace

Miyamoto has been working on the new Star Fox title for about 7 years now. I wouldn't worry about popularity or relevancy---it's effectively always been relevant due to the constant work on the new game, regardless of release:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/06/e3_2014_shigeru_miyamoto_confirms_star_fox_for_wii_u

the101

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
But there is a difference, while series like metroid and kirby are bigger series with more releases and bigger fanbases, they don't have many usable characters. All metroid has left is ridley (maybe dark samus although she's an assist now) and all kirby has is bandana dee and when you think of big nintendo characters he doesn't exactly come to mind
You do have a valid point, but it is one that also works against Star Fox representation. There are not a lot of usable characters in Star Fox. Most characters, particularly early on in the series, were seen through the windows of their respective spacecrafts. Each Arwing could shoot the same projectile, do the same barrel roll, etc. This is reflected in Smash Bros. where each Star Fox character revolves around very similar move sets, in the same way their ships were all similar.

A character should not be added in Smash Bros. because of their potential uniqueness. This has been reflected countless of times, with Lucina being the freshest to mind. While Krystal could wield her staff and be the first Star Fox character to break away from Fox's move set standards, is it truly necessary? For many fans, Krystal represents a dark time of the Star Fox series that the franchise has not completely recovered from. Many fans felt Star Fox Adventures was not a true Star Fox game and felt more like Ocarina of Time than anything else. Star Fox Assault's reception was even worse, and that is still the latest console Star Fox game (until this upcoming 2015 ;) ).

When Rosalina was announced, for example, my happiness did not completely stem from Rosalina herself. True, I love the character dearly. However, most of the excitement came from her association with Super Mario Galaxy. There was so much nostalgia and joy. Robin did the same thing for me and Fire Emblem Awakening. Palutena and Kid Icarus Uprising. And Fox, Falco, and Wolf already represent the best their series has to offer, at least to the public consensus. This can even be reflected in the new Star Fox stage. True, it's the Great Fox from Assault, but is it showing or implying anything about visiting ghd spots with ground-based combat? It doesn't appear to be. It looks like the Great Fox will once again be flying through space because the best associations with Star Fox are in its traditional flying gameplay, not the ground-based areas associated with Adventures, Assault, and by extension, Krystal.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
I think that without Krystal these Star Fox "dark times" could have been even worse... I don't like when people think that Krystal "represents" Star Fox's dark time... this is just someone trying to debunk her in my opinion. Sorry my friends.

Last edited:

the101

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
I think that without Krystal these Star Fox "dark times" could have been even worse... I don't like when people think that Krystal "represents" Star Fox's dark time... this is just someone trying to debunk her in my opinion. Sorry my friends.
I personally have always had a fondness for Krystal. Star Fox Adventures was one of my earliest video gaming experiences. However, while I would enjoy her inclusion I wouldn't feel betrayed if she wasn't a newcomer.

I feel her inclusion would generate more negative response than positive on a larger scale, which is an important thing to consider. She is another female fighter, a Star Fox character at that. And a potentially unique character too. That's all good. However, she admittedly is designed to resemble a curvaceous vixen and she is from an obscure assortment of Star Fox games that weren't well-received or the best-selling. Do you see how her inclusion may not be received as well?

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
You do have a valid point, but it is one that also works against Star Fox representation. There are not a lot of usable characters in Star Fox. Most characters, particularly early on in the series, were seen through the windows of their respective spacecrafts. Each Arwing could shoot the same projectile, do the same barrel roll, etc. This is reflected in Smash Bros. where each Star Fox character revolves around very similar move sets, in the same way their ships were all similar.

A character should not be added in Smash Bros. because of their potential uniqueness. This has been reflected countless of times, with Lucina being the freshest to mind. While Krystal could wield her staff and be the first Star Fox character to break away from Fox's move set standards, is it truly necessary? For many fans, Krystal represents a dark time of the Star Fox series that the franchise has not completely recovered from. Many fans felt Star Fox Adventures was not a true Star Fox game and felt more like Ocarina of Time than anything else. Star Fox Assault's reception was even worse, and that is still the latest console Star Fox game (until this upcoming 2015 ;) ).

When Rosalina was announced, for example, my happiness did not completely stem from Rosalina herself. True, I love the character dearly. However, most of the excitement came from her association with Super Mario Galaxy. There was so much nostalgia and joy. Robin did the same thing for me and Fire Emblem Awakening. Palutena and Kid Icarus Uprising. And Fox, Falco, and Wolf already represent the best their series has to offer, at least to the public consensus. This can even be reflected in the new Star Fox stage. True, it's the Great Fox from Assault, but is it showing or implying anything about visiting ghd spots with ground-based combat? It doesn't appear to be. It looks like the Great Fox will once again be flying through space because the best associations with Star Fox are in its traditional flying gameplay, not the ground-based areas associated with Adventures, Assault, and by extension, Krystal.
I don't think it's fair to blame star fox's downfall entirely on krystal, the fact still stands that she is now a member of the star fox team and will most likely continue to be in future games, she is important in the games she plays a role in. Also whether adventures and assault are popular doesn't matter (even though they are decently popular in my opinion) it's whether the character herself is popular, which she is. Also the ground based gameplay has nothing to do with krystal since fox is the character you control.
And the idea that characters aren't at least partially chosen based on uniqueness is just wrong, robin was chosen over chrom cause he's more unique, no matter how much people try to argue that robin is the main character, he isn't. It's chrom on the box and he's the main lord thus the main character. Rosalina was also chosen baased on uniqueness being chosen over way more important characters, same with greninja

Last edited:

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
I personally have always had a fondness for Krystal. Star Fox Adventures was one of my earliest video gaming experiences. However, while I would enjoy her inclusion I wouldn't feel betrayed if she wasn't a newcomer.

I feel her inclusion would generate more negative response than positive on a larger scale, which is an important thing to consider. She is another female fighter, a Star Fox character at that. And a potentially unique character too. That's all good. However, she admittedly is designed to resemble a curvaceous vixen and she is from an obscure assortment of Star Fox games that weren't well-received or the best-selling. Do you see how her inclusion may not be received as well?
It's better having 4 Fox reps than one getting cut for her. I think people will be even more upset if she takes :falco: or :wolf:'s place (considering some will be really upset if she gets revealed). This will make her even more hated.

Why people can't love our vixen?

Still, I really want her. My forbidden trio is Paper Mario, Ghirahim and Krystal.
Also, there is no better character for Star Fox now... if we could have at least more Star Fox U info...

Last edited:

the101

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
I don't think it's fair to blame star fox's downfall entirely on krystal, the fact still stands that she is now a member of the star fox team and will most likely continue to be in future games, she is important in the games she plays a role in. Also whether adventures and assault are popular doesn't matter (even though they are decently popular in my opinion) it's whether the character herself is popular, which she is. Also the ground based gameplay has nothing to do with krystal since fox is the character you control.
And the idea that characters aren't at least partially chosen based on uniqueness is just wrong, robin was chosen over chrom cause he's more unique, no matter how much people try to argue that robin is the main character, he isn't. It's chrom on the box and he's the main lord thus the main character. Rosalina was also chosen based on uniqueness being chosen over way more important characters, same with greninja
I agree. It is not Krystal's fault Star Fox declined in popularity, and it was also true that Krystal was not playable in those ground-based missions found in Assault. However, Rosalina was never playable in Super Mario Galaxy. Irregardless, she had a significant enough role in it so that she is heavily associated with it. Krystal is heavily associated with Star Fox Adventures and Star Fox Assault as well, but because those games were not well received this does not help the character.

Sigh...I apologize. I realize I have began to upset quite a few of you, and that was never my intention. I'm not in a position in life where I could share legitimate thoughts about this game anywhere other than SmashBoards, so I just wanted to contribute. Nothing more. Nothing less. I'm not against Krystal's inclusion, which isn't entirely unlikely, and I personally would probably enjoy it. I just don't see it happening and I wanted to share my thoughts as to why. But I'm sorry if I caused some tension. I wasn't trying to debunk anything. I will leave the discussion in peace.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
I agree. It is not Krystal's fault Star Fox declined in popularity, and it was also true that Krystal was not playable in those ground-based missions found in Assault. However, Rosalina was never playable in Super Mario Galaxy. Irregardless, she had a significant enough role in it so that she is heavily associated with it. Krystal is heavily associated with Star Fox Adventures and Star Fox Assault as well, but because those games were not well received this does not help the character.

Sigh...I apologize. I realize I have began to upset quite a few of you, and that was never my intention. I'm not in a position in life where I could share legitimate thoughts about this game anywhere other than SmashBoards, so I just wanted to contribute. Nothing more. Nothing less. I'm not against Krystal's inclusion, which isn't entirely unlikely, and I personally would probably enjoy it. I just don't see it happening and I wanted to share my thoughts as to why. But I'm sorry if I caused some tension. I wasn't trying to debunk anything. I will leave the discussion in peace.
You can stay! Everybody is welcomed for discussing... You aren't doing anything wrong. Also YOU aren't the one who said that Krystal is the responsible for Star Fox's dark time. But I said that I don't like when people use her to push this argument, And you said:

"For many fans, Krystal represents a dark time of the Star Fox series that the franchise has not completely recovered from."

For many fans, and not for you. I'm not upset with you my friend. Also, these types of discussion makes the thread...well... interesting and living. You are new here, and you are welcomed for discussing/arguing whenever you want and wherever you are.

Last edited:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Realize that popularity in itself means relevance.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Personally, I blame the recent strange choices for the franchise on the game developers.

I also have a bone to pick with Miyamoto, for he feels "ideas mustn't be in a game, even if they are good ones" (quote from Dylan Cuthbert). Miyamoto is selfish in the sense that he doesn't allow anyone else to implement ideas into Star Fox without his approval (which rarely happens, evidently most ideas are from him), and he also doesn't simply allow other companies to create different Star Fox games, especially without his oversight (instead he is the one who consigns the job of making the Star Fox games he envisions to the different companies). He wants to be the sole person to innovate through Star Fox, and that's why it's taken 7 years just for him to finally figure out something to do with the series; he doesn't want others to use Star Fox to innovate or broaden the Star Fox demographic. I don't understand this. Why does he allow many companies to more-freely make Mario or Zelda games and not Star Fox ones? Is he super tight-fisted about the series, and sees it as his baby? Or is he generally afraid of allowing experimentation on something "less popular"? The latter question is already contradicted, because he himself has been experimenting on the Star Fox franchise for the last 7 years! What a hypocrite he is, if that was true...

Miyamoto decided to cancel Star Fox 2 to "have a clear break between 3D on the SNES and 3D on the 64", even though Star Fox 2 was completed.

Miyamoto decided to incorporate Dinosaur Planet into Star Fox Adventures. He is also the one who butchered the original story, forced Andross into a dumb plot-twist, shoved Krystal into a Crystal (just to give her his favorite female trope: "Damsell in Distress", which he has also given to Peach, Zelda, Daisy, Donkey Kong, and Diddy Kong (DK and Diddy Kong in Donkey Kong Country 2 + 3), and avoided using all other unique characters mainly involved with the original story (except for the dinosaurs), and added the idea of the "dinosaur language" to Star Fox Adventures (that's right, it never existed in Dinosaur Planet, and it was certainly not Rare's idea). Come to think of it, why did he keep Krystal if all other characters were thrown out? Just to give Fox a girl? Or is it for another reason...

As a recommendation to JonTron: You don't say no to Miyamoto. Rare is a company that gladly rebels when needed, but in ways that are usually subtle. For instance, they made fun of Microsoft with Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts with the whole beginning sequence of the game, saying that "all gamers want now-a-days are shooters". That's a blatant form of rebellion in one of their games. Unfortunately, many fans took this as an insult to them, and it wasn't. Rare might say things to cover up their true intention during interviews, but that's just to keep their jobs underneath the clueless company known as Microsoft. Point being, Rare would have said no to Miyamoto with Star Fox Adventures. There is a good reason why they didn't. JonTron is funny, but he can be very clueless sometimes, and that provides an unfortunate influence on many gamers, which alters their perception of the developmental story behind Star Fox Adventures, and thus inadvertently affects their perception of Star Fox as a whole. Psychology 101.

Miyamoto also decided that what the series needs are these gimmicky controls that "take the player roughly 30 minutes to an hour to figure out". Why should a game take that long just to figure out its controls?! Gamers now-a-days prefer games they can pick up and play on the spot with ease-of-control. I predict this type of "innovation" is going to fall flat in Miyamoto's face. How is this going to broaden the demographic for Star Fox and increase it's popularity? How?! All this "innovation" is face-value, and not real innovation that expands the game within itself (for instance, expanding the universe from within the game, or adding elements to the game that might attract demographics otherwise not interested into Star Fox). In fact, these "innovations" take away from a company's ability to incorporate additions to the game's universe or lore, because "all of these peripherals make it more difficult to develop games on major platforms" (a quote, in variation, of many different companies who had to work with motion control in some shape or form).

Besides, according to various interviews, Miyamoto is so obsessed with Star Fox that he keeps responding with "I play as Star Fox" when people ask him "which character do you play as in Smash Brothers?" Every time.

Red flags are everywhere! we just have to open our eyes a little...

Miyamoto is the one who essentially calls all of the shots for Star Fox! Give someone else a chance, for God's sake...

Otherwise, I blame the franchise's lack of popularity on Nintendo not capitalizing on "innovation" for Star Fox's marketing. That, and their strange, short-handed sense of marketing in general...

This, again, leads me to why I support Krystal. I support her because I want Star Fox, as well as what has happened in the past with development, to be vindicated for its potential. The way many people bash the Star Fox characters on the Smash roster, based on their semi-clone/quasi-clone specials (and not to mention Final Smashes), is disheartening. I'd like to see Sakurai prove his name-sake again (as one who looks mostly to origins when creating characters in Smash) and implement a Star Fox character that could surprise people (in the sense of that character not having to rely on Fox-variant specials). Also, having Krystal in Smash, in my opinion, could vindicate her from that unfortunate developmental story roughly 15 years ago.

There's nothing we can really do about the Star Fox series itself, though. Smash, however, is a venue where characters receive spotlights that they might not have in their series, and in this sense, I'd like to see Krystal have a chance.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I never expected to post here, but I guess if it could clear my doubts on something...

I just want to tell you first that I'm posting here for personal theory and that I'm neutral on her case and many others. It mostly has to do on what happened on my end, but I want to know if it might have happened here as if it was the case, I shouldn't be able to tell without asking here.

It's really weird, but I can only get my answer here and it's something that already happened multiple time.

I witnessed like everyone some special teases of some characters that was quite hidden. I couldn't grasp them even tough it's known that they were the result of teasing. The only one I could explain deep enough is Ridley, but I couldn't make any relation to previous cases even though they seemed similar.

Until I became directly affected by one of them. It went personal and I think I grasped what happened in those teases.

I'm just going to throw it out there without any explanation as it's just for context sake: the stage reveal on July 29 was a tease for Paper Mario.

I made some research and tough about it a lot to realise that it happened at least 3 times and it's happening now a 4th time with Ridley.

The following is something I wrote on his thread from a global perspective and it's copy pasting. Since it's quite long, I shall put it in spoiler tags, but you need to read this to answer to my question:

[collapse=The HTSRST theory]
Ok, I guess now I can explain his special teaseing method as I just lived it.

I will call them HTSRST, or "Hidden Tease by Stage Reveal with Selected Targeting"

Seems kinda long, but it explains the most of what's happening.

First, those tease are done by a stage reveal. To tell that it's HTSRST, it has to be hidden and done with selected targeting.

And that's the most interesting part here. See, Sakurai already acknowledged how any fan should feel upon deconfirmation of their favourite character. I could give a source, but I don't remember where he said that, but I think it was when he said that he would have to cut characters when it was needed or something.

So, I think it makes sense to say that he can understands the feeling of his fans.

Those tease are done with SELECTED TARGETING. It means that Sakurai will specifically design the tease to only work on a previously selected target of people. The target are the one who care about the character teased and the most determinate are the most targeted. For people who are not targeted, not only the tease doesn't work, but it also make those people assume the truth since the tease is hidden.

Those teases are hidden meaning that upon the revel of the stage, what triggers the tease is NOT saying something crucial for speculation, or at most, mention it, but by being intentionally UNCLEAR. For the target, they would get the tease because they would care so much that they would be tempted to analyse the material Sakurai gave with the reveal to realise that there's "something fishy". They would get that not being clear on this piece of info shouldn't happen and this is what triggers investigation to know what's going on.

But for the one who aren't targeted, they won't investigate and they won't get something weird since those don't care enough about the character. It makes them ASSUME the truth for what is first IMPLIED without actually have been said by Sakurai.

That's when the tease becomes hidden. By implying this truth, it would actually contradicts what the tease is trying to tell. This would make the people who aren't targeted DENY the tease and the only one who would get it is the target.

Because of this unbalanced knowledge, it creates speculations and so, the tease is more talked. For the people who denied it, the reveal would make more surprise since the possibility was denied.

The reason it's by stage reveal is because the stage is probably the best evidence you could provide to change the situation of any character's chance. Most stages has at least one playable character related to it and Sakurai choose stages that are more related to one character for his tease.

Making a stage requires a huge amount of work. There's so much details in them that the amount of work put into it has to be for a special reason. The teased stages are specifically related to one character to make a "home feel" for him.

That's why selected targeting works here. By caring about the character, you probably care about the stage choice too. By not caring, the tease has less chances to work as it's not something you would understand perfectly.
[/collapse]

I just want to remind you that it's a personal theory, but I can tell you that it happened multiple time.

Little mac and the boxing ring believed to be global while supporters got punch out references.

Palutena and her temple believed to generally rep her series or pit while the stage was made for her to even have a statue of her.

Greninja and the Prism Tower, a location of the 6G for a 6G rep while it was believed to rep the existing one.

Since August 20 2013, he's doing it with Ridley, but by being very intense since he was popular with such a determinate fanbase as the target.

I don't need to explain mine, you should understand anyway, but as the owner of his thread, what I said above is accurate.

I may have forgotten some cases, but I can't deny such a theory which is why I need to know something and I want the answer of people who claim to want Krystal the most:

Did you spotted anything that you would claim as "fishy" concerning the stage reveal that happened on July 22 2014?

I'm not a starfox fan, but I found the last sentence weird in the caption. Don't know what it means.

If the stage has a particular relation with her, I would suggest to check because it may be a case of HTSRST.

If it is, it helps her case greatly, but I don't think it will do anything if it's not anyway so I don't think you could loose something for checking.

One person claimed in my thread on July 29 that this thread would have reasons to believe such a tease and that would just help this theory.

I really care about this because it would actually helps you in a way and me on the other. If she's been on this tease, it helps me while the one I'm living would help yours. It's because the more this happens, the more likely are the other cases and that relates all of them.

I wouldn't be targeted so that's why I'm coming here because you would be the target.

Final question: As a Krystal supporter, do you believe that the stage reveal was a teasing that is somehow similar to what I call being an HTSRST?

It's really starting to worry me as I saw no inconsistency so far and only evidences supporting this. I need more evidences however for the sake of my speculation (I'm in the process of trying to make my first roster so that's why).

If it was for nothing, sorry for any inconvenience even tough I don't think it would break it anyway.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I may have forgotten some cases, but I can't deny such a theory which is why I need to know something and I want the answer of people who claim to want Krystal the most:

Did you spotted anything that you would claim as "fishy" concerning the stage reveal that happened on July 22 2014?

I'm not a starfox fan, but I found the last sentence weird in the caption. Don't know what it means.
Unfortunately, I was unable to find anything noteworthy from the Star Fox stage itself or its caption which would hint at Krystal's inclusion. Great Fox has been something of a staple arena for this franchise. It debuted in the 64 iteration and continued to appear in subsequent games. What this means is that this particular stage has not been historically associated with a single Star Fox member, unless you count Fox from the N64 Smash Bros wherein he was the lone SF representative at the time. Now, if the stage were something like say... Krazoa Palace from planet Sauria, then we'd have something substantial to consider. As it is, it's enormously difficult to take anything from Great Fox's appearance only because we've had this level time and time again.

Your theory is very interesting and there is some merit to if one considers the patterns. I just don't believe it's applicable in this case, but perhaps a closer look at this stage might give us something more to go by. We've only received a very basic overview of the stage, unlike with Paper Mario's where details were in abundance.

Final question: As a Krystal supporter, do you believe that the stage reveal was a teasing that is somehow similar to what I call being an HTSRST?
As much as I want to, I sadly do not see the stage reveal as a tease. I need to see more from Great Fox before I can line it up with HTSRST. I'll look over the final sentence in the caption again, but so far it just implies that combatants will be fighting against each other on top of the ship.

It'll probably have fighters running around on top of it without the pilot's consent.

I'm interested to know who the pilot is in this case. If not Peppy, then maybe R.O.B 64? R.O.B has traditionally piloted the Great Fox while the entire Star Fox team was out on mission. Perhaps he's the pilot in this case. Maybe Peppy too at his advanced age.

Weavel

Smash Ace
I agrefox It is not Krystal's fault Star Fox declined in popularity, and it was also true that Krystal was not playable in those ground-based missions found in Assault. However, Rosalina was never playable in Super Mario Galaxy. Irregardless, she had a significant enough role in it so that she is heavily associated with it. Krystal is heavily associated with Star Fox Adventures and Star Fox Assault as well, but because those games were not well received this does not help the character.

I'm getting really sick of this uneducated crap, Star fox adventures was well received and was fastest selling game cube game of its time. Criticisms were that it didn't play like the old star Fox's but was still a great game and had majority of positive reviews.

Star fox assault was also a great game but people had complaints about the controls and multiplayer and it still sold well. The reviews were either mixed or positive but it was a financial success.

Typed this on my phone so its harder to talk, everything might not look that great.

Edit: My fellows, august 12th will be the unrivaled sadist in gaming history.

Hopes will be crushed, lets hope like ****

Last edited:

Bunny8093

Smash Journeyman
Edit: My fellows, august 12th will be the unrivaled sadist in gaming history.

Hopes will be crushed, lets hope like ****
What do you mean by this? If you're talking about Corocoro I'm afraid they will only show what has already been revealed but if it's not what you're talking about I would like some enlightenment on the matter.

BlindFox

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately, I was unable to find anything noteworthy from the Star Fox stage itself or its caption which would hint at Krystal's inclusion. Great Fox has been something of a staple arena for this franchise. It debuted in the 64 iteration and continued to appear in subsequent games. What this means is that this particular stage has not been historically associated with a single Star Fox member, unless you count Fox from the N64 Smash Bros wherein he was the lone SF representative at the time. Now, if the stage were something like say... Krazoa Palace from planet Sauria, then we'd have something substantial to consider. As it is, it's enormously difficult to take anything from Great Fox's appearance only because we've had this level time and time again.

Your theory is very interesting and there is some merit to if one considers the patterns. I just don't believe it's applicable in this case, but perhaps a closer look at this stage might give us something more to go by. We've only received a very basic overview of the stage, unlike with Paper Mario's where details were in abundance.

As much as I want to, I sadly do not see the stage reveal as a tease. I need to see more from Great Fox before I can line it up with HTSRST. I'll look over the final sentence in the caption again, but so far it just implies that combatants will be fighting against each other on top of the ship.

It'll probably have fighters running around on top of it without the pilot's consent.

I'm interested to know who the pilot is in this case. If not Peppy, then maybe R.O.B 64? R.O.B has traditionally piloted the Great Fox while the entire Star Fox team was out on mission. Perhaps he's the pilot in this case. Maybe Peppy too at his advanced age.
The thing is that the Great Fox that we can see in the stage is the one from Assault, which is different from the classic one. (After Adventures events the Great Fox was rebuild to the ground to be the best dreadnaught-class battleship around)

Star Fox 64

Star Fox Adventures

Star Fox Assault

We don't even know if the stage is going to be played like the classic ones or if it's going to be different. What makes me think that the stage reveal push higher Krystal chances is that she was a key character aswell with Fox (Main) Falco and Slippy. Also we have the chance to have a dynamic stage with the great fox travelling around the Lylat system.

In Assault the Star Fox team travel to: Fichina (The one on the background of the Daily Pic) Katina, Corneria, the aparoid homeworld and SAURIA. Sauria beeing one of the big missions with the entire star fox team, and with on-foot, landmaster and arwing gameplay.

Aurora Sparkle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aurora-Sparkle
A character should not be added in Smash Bros. because of their potential uniqueness. This has been reflected countless of times, with Lucina being the freshest to mind. While Krystal could wield her staff and be the first Star Fox character to break away from Fox's move set standards, is it truly necessary?
To the bolded:
I have to say, that is probably the first time I've ever seen someone take that stance on what's most important to look for in roster candidates.
So you think that they should be added for their potential to be clones of other existing Characters? That seems a little backwards to me.
You used Lucina as an example, but she is in essence, a complete clone of Marth. So much so that Sakurai was originally going to have her as just a Marth Alt costume, but decided to give her a separate slot later in development. That's just what she is even in the game where she originated. A Marth imitator. Krystal is NOT a Fox imitator. -and she shouldn't be treated as such.

One of the best things about Smash is that you have the ability to play as so many unique playstyles. It keeps the game fresh and interesting, and keeps matches diverse and fun. People complain about clone/semi clone characters for legitimate reasons.
It's why a lot of people want Ganondorf to break away from his Falcon clone moveset, or why people are disappointed that Toon Link missed out on his potential to shake it up by using moves derived from his Wind Waker Arsenal.

I think it IS necessary for Krystal to break away from Fox's moveset because lets be real- do we really need FOUR space animals that all play relatively the same?
I know people say Wolf isn't a clone- but let's be honest. All three of the current spacies have Blasters, Reflectors and some kind of jet boosting recovery move. Wolf does break it up a little more than Falco does, but I would still call him at least somewhat of a Fox clone. Especially if they leave his Final Smash the same.

If Krystal has the potential to be unique- they need to capitalize on that. Especially considering that it's one of Sakurai's strong suits. (Coming up with fresh and intuitive movesets.) Making her another Fox clone would just be disappointing and an absolute waste of her potential.

Last edited:

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
Wolf only clones his specials and final smash. Otherwise, he's free from Fox. They probably did it solely because of how late into development he was added.

Luminario

Smash Lord

I wouldn't really say that's fair. Not everyone gets influenced by the nostalgia factor and from what I saw of Adventures and Assault on youtube is that they both seem like pretty fun games (I only played Assault multiplayer at a friends house) and there's probably a lot of people who enjoyed it. I think the few loud people who disliked Adventures and Assault can be compared to people who only like gen 1 pokemon, who love the feeling of nostalgia and don't want anything to change. For me Assault seemed like the right direction to take Starfox because I love the combination of walking + vehicles instead of being stuck in an Arwing. The fact that some people didn't like the direction the games took shouldn't be a factor in Krystals inclusion.

Also Lucina was more a freebie than a planned character to make her more unique than simply being Marths alt costume. The real FE newcomer was Robin so potential uniqueness should definitely be a factor and a pretty big one.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Here's the thing: It's not out of realm of possibility. We'll have to wait for further indication, though.

Here's a quote that someone posted a couple pages ago, and it goes into a little further detail regarding this theory:

I've noticed a pattern, As far as the Newcomers we've seen who are from an already represented franchise in smash, they've had a stage from their franchise be partially revealed when it was initially shown in the Pic of the day, then it would be followed up with a more in depth look at their stage in a later Pic of the Day.[collapse=Rosalina]
[collapse=PotD September 9, 2013]This is our first look at the Super Mario Galaxy stage. Not much to see but Kirby and the background.
[/collapse]
[collapse=PotD November 14, 2013]a more in depth look at the Super Mario Galaxy stage
[/collapse]Rolalina was revealed in the December Nintendo Direct.
[/collapse]
[collapse=Greninja]
[collapse=PotD March 11, 2014]This is our first look at Lumiose city. We don't even see any platforms.
[/collapse]
[collapse=PotD March 28, 2014] Now we see the the platforms and conclude that this must be a moving stage.
[/collapse]Greninja is revealed in the April direct.
[/collapse]
[collapse=Palutena][collapse=PotD January 29, 2014]Here we first see the background of the Kid Icarus stage on the Wii U
[/collapse]
[collapse=PotD April 30, 2014]Now we see the statue again, but with a platform.
[/collapse]Palutena is revealed during E3
[/collapse]
[collapse=Robin][collapse=PotD June 6, 2014]the first appearance of the Fire emblem stage on the Wii U.
[/collapse]I suppose you could say that we got a better look at the Fire Emblem stage during the E3 demo of the game.
[/collapse]
[collapse=Krystal][collapse=PotD July 21, 2014]It's hard to make out whether the Great Fox is the stage or if there will be a platform in front of it.
[/collapse]We are waiting for another more in depth reveal of the Starfox stage followed up by a Starfox newcomer.[/collapse]
This post described that not only is there a potential pattern with the stages, but a sequence comes with the pattern. Firstly, the stage is shown in a vague light, without any clear explanation as to what it entails, or why it was included. Secondly, there was an eventual update (via potd) that shows a more in-depth look at the stage itself. Finally, there was the newcomer reveal that eerily enough includes that very stage in their reveal trailer (practically showcasing it, actually).

One thing has me curious: The Star Fox stage is currently the only Wii U stage that we know literally nothing about. We even know details about the Pac-Man Wii U stage, which isn't even playable through the demo. Sakurai was vague with the Star Fox stage.

Sakurai wasn't vague about all of those recent 3DS stage reveals. Tomodachi Life 3DS stage was clear, Paper Mario 3DS stage was clear, and N's Castle 3DS stage was clear (without mentioning N though, which might be odd, but I'm pretty sure he did it to conceal unnecessary spoilers).

As it stands, we are waiting for the second phase, the reveal of more details about the stage.

If it happens just before a general Nintendo direct is announced, or shortly after a general Nintendo direct is announced...

Well, I'll just say is that this thread will be bustling with action (especially if the future additional details showcase the Star Fox Assault Great Fox at SAURIA). Even so, additional details, with or without showcasing Sauria, will raise the red flags (not in a bad way).

Last edited:

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
Ok let's see what star fox things are coming up.
1.star fox command released August 3rd in japan and 28th everywhere else
2.star fox adventures released September 23rd in America and 27th in japan
So that's 4 potential dates (3 since no news today) I say either the 23rd or 28th (I'd say 28th since wolf was in command) however 23rd because that's when krystal debuted.

Top Bottom