• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Prepare Yourself (Ike Match-up thread)

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978
I´ve got a question though : If you know a Bouncing Fish is coming, how do you react to it? Counter is too slow to hit her back, do Fair/Nair work?
Try to spotdodge it than punish with Jab or anything really fast. That's the most reliable way I think.

Wanted to talk a bit about Ness, we all know that we shouldn't use Eruption at the ledge against him offstage if he is in a position to Fair us right? Well we can easily see that coming and counter him which will leave him in a position where he will have to pray that the fury of Eruption has any sympathy for him.

With this little trick we actually force him to mix up his recovery which we can mess more easily with jumping Eruptions or Fair.

Btw, does anyone here have good tips against Duck Hunt and Rosalina? They wall me out so hard.

Oh and Mega Man too. He is managable but his Jab is annoying.

Last edited:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Any disjoint beats bouncing fish. It has invincibility at the start but isn't disjointed.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Duck Hunt isn't very fast. You can corner DH easily and force CQC which Ike wins. You also hardly ever die and can edgeguard because DH recovery is so slow.

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
Well duck hunt is 25th in ground speed (average), 9th in air speed (great). He can cover his recovery with the can. Its still quite gimpable though.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Against Rosalina, you'll want to use your reach to kill Luma ASAP while keeping yourself safe, I find playing more aggressively is a big help against her. Most of our moves are safe on shield as long as we space properly, so take advantage of that to get rid of Luma while Rosa's playing defense. As long as you're not doing Fair/Nair with forward momentum carrying you straight into shieldgrab range, you should be able to swat Luma away while pushing Rosalina. Any time you can get Luma away from her, sweep it off the stage with a jab combo, Ftilt, Fair, Bair, or dash attack - Ike can kill the little guy extremely easily, and should do so at every opportunity. The main thing that's going to stop us is her challenging our aerial approaches with her Fair, so I think you'll mostly want to stick to short hops for your aerials, but that naturally depends on what Rosalina is actually doing.

Last edited:

Naf2pro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Brover1
Would love a MU explanation on Olimar, got ****ing rekt by him yesterday

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
I got 3 stocked by a Fox today, so I'd like to talk a bit about him. It seems to me that fox can cover all of our options like approaching Nair, reatriting Fair and RAR Bair and punish heavily. only thing I can do against Fox is gimping Fire thanks to Eruption. How can I deal with it?

Arrei

Smash Lord
Approaching Fox is usually a bad idea, that matchup mostly involves us defending and looking for openings and habits we can exploit. He has aerials we love to hate, a sex kick Nair and long-lasting Fair and Dair. His high mobility also means he can regularly land on either side of our shield after attacking, so being able to quickly react, turn around, and jab or grab is a big help, something I still have trouble on. He shouldn't be able to punish retreating aerials unless you're haphazardly throwing them out and becoming predictable, so use them sparingly to keep him wary.

Oh, and it's not advisable to try and use any slower moves if he's in your face. His jab infinite is total BS and confirms into Usmash to finish us off.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I got 3 stocked by a Fox today, so I'd like to talk a bit about him. It seems to me that fox can cover all of our options like approaching Nair, reatriting Fair and RAR Bair and punish heavily. only thing I can do against Fox is gimping Fire thanks to Eruption. How can I deal with it?
Fk this matchup, honestly. All you can really do is hope you randomly kill him first, and then camp.

Sucks really, you're forced to deal with lasers somehow, but Ike doesn't really have the midrange game to pin down Fox, and Fox gets the lead on Ike easily both with lasers and his U-tilt strings. Up close you could theoretically handle him with D-tilt and Jab, but outside that range you're pretty much forced to guess with Dashgrab, RAR B-air and QD, all of which he can bait easily.

If you get the first KO, just ****ing camp with shield and the ledge. Be as big of a prick about it as possible, because Fox doesn't have very good options to punish it.

Last edited:

Planet God Venus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyugaVII
Starting a Skype group with a few Ike's to talk about his match ups, and hopefully just the match ups! Looking for a few Ike's who are serious about the character add me on skype @Codyisikelol if so.

Naf2pro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Brover1
Starting a Skype group with a few Ike's to talk about his match ups, and hopefully just the match ups! Looking for a few Ike's who are serious about the character add me on skype @Codyisikelol if so.
That would be pretty cool. I added you on my brothers Skype since it's ****ing impossible to log out of skype on someone's W8 laptop. When are you planning to hold this?

Planet God Venus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyugaVII
That would be pretty cool. I added you on my brothers Skype since it's ****ing impossible to log out of skype on someone's W8 laptop. When are you planning to hold this?
Gathering people at the moment, just waiting to get a solid topic and some responses from other Ike's.

Naf2pro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Brover1
Gathering people at the moment, just waiting to get a solid topic and some responses from other Ike's.
I see, message me on skype when you guys are ready

EDIT : The discussion on matchups was very needed. Learned a good bit of knowledge. Thanks to everyone who participated!!

Last edited:

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I need a good bit of help against Rosalina. In the neutral, it's pretty square. I use Side B to take out the Luma as quickly as I can rather than attempt to damage it. I went up against Neos at MomoCon, and the biggest problem was that he was juggling me repeatedly. Doesn't matter which stage, though he held a strong advantage on Halberd and Town and City.

Uair juggles are EXTREMELY hard to avoid. Plus, he read my airdodges. I had no way out of there and they killed me. I feel the only thing I can do is go for Aether since Rosalina's fast-fall isn't that great and the punishment might not be as damaging as the repeated Uair juggles. Any suggestions?

@ san. san.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I need a good bit of help against Rosalina. In the neutral, it's pretty square. I use Side B to take out the Luma as quickly as I can rather than attempt to damage it. I went up against Neos at MomoCon, and the biggest problem was that he was juggling me repeatedly. Doesn't matter which stage, though he held a strong advantage on Halberd and Town and City.

Uair juggles are EXTREMELY hard to avoid. Plus, he read my airdodges. I had no way out of there and they killed me. I feel the only thing I can do is go for Aether since Rosalina's fast-fall isn't that great and the punishment might not be as damaging as the repeated Uair juggles. Any suggestions?

@ san. san.
My strategy is to always, always focus on luma. I have to play using customs, so they'll be using shooting star bit which forces approach and the teleporting luma that makes mid-range spacing dangerous. Ike will have to be approaching customs Rosa regardless. Against default Rosalina, you have more options to keep some distance. Without luma, Rosalina's going to have trouble killing you, and her punishments won't be very devastating. If you hit luma with an attack that tumbles him, luma cannot act until he touches the ground + a little bit of lag.

Quick draw has too little damage and is so punishable that I would never use it (Fully charged may be somewhat useful if they allow it, though). My go to options: bair, close combat (ALWAYS pops up luma and sends him into tumble), sometimes fair/tilts/general neutral attacks, and in general your most damaging attacks (non-smashes). Surprisingly, dash attack can work too since the base knockback can send luma into tumble quickly with only a little bit of damage. Jab isn't as good as you'd like since the damage isn't great and it would suck to clank with him.

I find bair best on the ground since it also pushes Rosa's shield so you'll only get lightly punished at most. If Rosa is in the air, try to space for both luma and Rosa, but especially luma. You can also midly go on the offensive if Luma is sent in tumble (but it'd be better to continue hitting Luma if given the opportunity).

When luma is dead, play passive-aggressively up close. The most important thing to keep track of is when Luma respawns. You don't want to put yourself in a punishable state when Luma respawns. It's actually a large priority to grasp the respawn timing and immediately kill Luma again before Rosa can use him.

Ike has few options against Rosa's juggles if she has luma, but Ike has a pretty easy time once Luma is gone. Her kill moves and traps become much less potent. Obviously, common things like Rosa up-Bing is almost a guaranteed eruption, just time it right. Easier said than done, but if you really want to win, it would be helpful to get it down. Ike's "uncharged-partially charged" eruption 1 hits much lower at the sword compared to all other eruption customs and variants. Normal eruption can hit very low before the ledge grab while furious eruption can easily hit during the ledge grab vulnerability.

Overall, find ways to just hit Luma and don't mind the punishments in the beginning, then recoup your losses and instakill Luma whenever he pops up again. Recognize the best ways to send Luma into tumble and take advantage of those situations. Uair juggles and offstage/ledge play are the most dangerous aspects that need to be avoided.

Last edited:

Arrei

Smash Lord
While you're at it, San, might you know of good ways to get in on Rosa? I faced a good one a while ago that loved to wall me out with her aerials, and Nair has that annoying late hitbox in front.

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
Vs Rosalina gettin Luma out of there is essensial. I usually go for some ftilts and trades.

The matchup I had problem with today was Luigi. I used all 3 of my mains (Metaknight, Ike, Lucario) and I had the most success with Ike. Dtilt, ftilt, and jab were life for me. But overall, being comboed into oblivion was just not a good experience. Also that dthrow to down b set up and his up smash are just...ugh. I'm in need of assistance.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Basically all we can say is the same thing we've said the other times Luigi was brought up: "Don't get grabbed, brah". Block his fireball and then stop his dash grab with a jab right in his big nose, it's the best defense we have against his grabs. You can afford to be a bit more aggressive in the air than usual against Luigi because his traction leaves him unable to punish most of our moves on block, but you still need to take care that you're not jumping into fireballs or an Fair/Nair - spacing so that you can avoid his aerials while landing your own farther-reaching ones is crucial. And as I've recommended each time, if he's above you, SHIIIEEEEELD. Luigi LOVES to land directly on our heads with Nair or Down B.

Also, don't roll back on stage from the ledge if he's standing at a moderate distance unless you like the taste of Super Fire Punch.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
After all this time, I still feel Sheik is definitely Ike's worst matchup. What do you recommend.

Also, against Luigi, do you feel hitting Counter on his recovery attempts truly makes the difference?

Arrei

Smash Lord
Countering Luigi Cyclone has a pretty good chance of being a kill since his recovery becomes massively awful once he loses his double jump, but I'd say countering Green Missile is generally not worth it, especially when its ever-looming chance to misfire makes properly timing the Counter dangerous. On the other hand, in some situations if you have the stock lead you might even be able to gimp Luigi just by blocking the Missile with your face, even if you get killed for the trouble.

But, just theorycrafting, I don't know if I'd say it makes too much of a difference. Even with Counter, it's risky business for Ike to try and intercept Luigi - he has to predict when Luigi will pull out his second jump, and if he guesses wrong he's almost surely getting hit for it. Counter just makes it so Ike can intercept Cyclone as if he had a sex kick, but with more endlag and the caveat that Luigi has to actually attack him to get a hitbox out. Plus, if Luigi needs to use Cyclone he's probably at a percent where Eruption will kill him and Super Fire Punch isn't too difficult to hit with it since it has a relatively strict sweetspot.

Last edited:

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
So with all these patch changes over the course of the game, does anyone feel like some of the MUs we discussed have changed?

NNID
Redwalker
3DS FC
2423-3213-8820
Ryu hits like a truck and combos so easily. The only approach I can think of is to go in with caution and try to bait out an opening then go to town. Don't overreach, retreat and repeat. Air approaches seem bad because of his fair and bair which come quickly so make sure you've got a hard read. Attacking from behind and ftilting especially after landing seems to work and will sometimes string into a fair. Watch that Mule Kick!

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
So with all these patch changes over the course of the game, does anyone feel like some of the MUs we discussed have changed?
All of them changed.

Ike can now combo floaty characters from uthrow, and fastfallers can be uthrow->fair'd for the kill. Dtilt and Nair->fair or bair also links much more easily for the kill. Jab2 having a faster link from jab1 really helps space against fast characters, and ftilt really helps against aerial approachers. Fox for instance can die from a uthrow->fair extremely easily now. Fair's hitbox change revolutionizes all of his MUs since he can now attack at very good angles instead of mostly in front.

Then you have to factor in many MUs that Ike won have received numerous buffs of their own.

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
All of them changed.

Ike can now combo floaty characters from uthrow, and fastfallers can be uthrow->fair'd for the kill. Dtilt and Nair->fair or bair also links much more easily for the kill. Jab2 having a faster link from jab1 really helps space against fast characters, and ftilt really helps against aerial approachers. Fox for instance can die from a uthrow->fair extremely easily now. Fair's hitbox change revolutionizes all of his MUs since he can now attack at very good angles instead of mostly in front.

Then you have to factor in many MUs that Ike won have received numerous buffs of their own.
Alright, might be time to clean up the OP and start from scratch. Been meaning to do that anyways.

Somebody pick a character and get this thing started.

Aquasition

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1091-8948-2851
Roy.

Well, we definitely have a range advantage, but Roy's quick AND strong. We have to be careful. His Up B, while normally useful for anti-edgeguarding, loses to Eruption, so if we can get him far enough offstage, we can wreck him with it. but that goes both ways due to Roy's Counter.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
If Ike jabs a floaty character with jab1 and jab2 misses, jab1 still true combos into jab3. That is huge and opens up jab as an option against these characters.

Both Roy and Ike gets messed up by counter, surprisingly enough. Roy's counter starts off weak vs weak hits and really strong vs medium-heavy hits. Ike's counter is stronger vs weak hits, but only somewhat strong vs medium-heavy hits.

No idea how the MU goes, but I don't think Ike will have very many problems vs him. Most likely, same for the Roy player from his perspective.

Last edited:

Routa

Smash Lord
After current patch changes I would say that Ike still has good MU against Marth and Shulk (well they both were 50:50 before or even 45:55 in favor of Ike). Both Marth and Shulk stayed mostly the same, but in the then again Ike got buffed. Ike beats both Marth and Shulk in the air and he has superior punishing game. These are also one of the few MUs where Ike can be played aggressively. But... He gets rekt by counter...

So if you ask me it is 45:55 in favor of Ike in Ike vs Marth/Shulk.

Last edited:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Marth got some significant buffs in his jab and utilt changes.

Shulk I can agree with. Marth I wouldn't be so sure.

@ san. san. Which MU do you think changed the most? If we're going to bother trying to rediscuss a MU already, it might as well be a worthwhile one.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Characters who could punish pre-patch spaced Nair are probably the ones that changed the most.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
@ san. san. Which MU do you think changed the most? If we're going to bother trying to rediscuss a MU already, it might as well be a worthwhile one.
Any MU where Ike needed to zone to win. Ike can now zone the likes of Luigi, Mario, etc. Floaties can now be jabbed, and nair can be used similarly to how it was used in Brawl.

According to https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...q5a4irDPLvwfxuOKVGxk/edit?pli=1#gid=440614687

Ike's old nair was -4 on shield. Now, a perfectly spaced nair is either -1 or -2. This means that it's more likely that Ike will powershield jab attempts, and can probably jab vs. tether grabs.

Ike's reward on fastfallers improved by leaps and bounds. It's really easy to convert combos and kills on Sheik and Fox now. Unfortunately, the risk is still somewhat high against them. I don't think we get hard countered by them anymore at least.

Last edited:

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
I've played a few good Roys online and was surprised at how good the character was. Honestly though, the MU really feels 50-50.

If you can space out Roy with N-Airs and F-Airs and punish his dash with Jab/Grab, Ike takes it.

If Roy rushes down and gets a grab, we're combo food for Roy who also can kill.

And as stated before, both characters get REKT by counter. I definitely had fun with this MU.

Arrei

Smash Lord
So it kind of sounds like what happens when Ike fights himself. Both players are combo fodder for the other.

Also, just curious but can Flare Blade edgeguard like Eruption does? I know the sword doesn't go into the ground to extend the hitbox downward like Eruption does, but I don't know how big the hitbox is.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
It can't. It doesn't hit below the stage and the hitbox is only the fire.

Renegade TX2000

Smash Ace
After all this time, I still feel Sheik is definitely Ike's worst matchup. What do you recommend.

Also, against Luigi, do you feel hitting Counter on his recovery attempts truly makes the difference?

Rango I don't think lil mac beats ike easily anymore. That ftilt speed buff helps him punish so much better now when lil mac decides to do ftilt. And the jab buff and other speed buffs he got just made the match up hella easier.

Top Bottom