• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prepare to be Astounded One Last Time: Wiseguy’s Brawl Predictions THE FINAL VERSION!

raphtmarqui

Smash Lord
Ok, tell me how on earth "Revenge of Metaknight" could have happend without Metaknight. He was the final boss. He's more important than the Black Knight, I really hope your not putting them on the same importance level, because they are not.

-Knight
Fine thats one game. And if you want to get technical about it, FE10's storyline couldn't have happened without Zelgius.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Isn't Black Knight only in one game? :/
2 Games, and he's not even of central importance, and then someone actually had the nerve to say that he was more important than Metaknight :/

Fine thats one game. And if you want to get technical about it, FE10's storyline couldn't have happened without Zelgius.
So what point are you trying to make? Metaknight is more important.

-Knight

Zevox

Smash Lord
Bottom line is that both Metaknight and BK are just rival characters in the games they're in and the story could pretty much go on with out them. It's not like their final bosses or something.
Theres a huge difference between Meta Knight's role in Kirby and the Black Knight's role in Fire Emblem though. Meta Knight is one of the three Kirby characters who plays the largest role in that series, and like with most other Nintendo series he is present in most of the Kirby games. The Black Knight, however, hails from a series where the characters change with almost every game, and he is a character of secondary importance from only two of those games. Meta Knight's role in the Kirby series is much larger than the Black Knight's is in Fire Emblem, regardless of the similarities in their story positions, due to the differing natures of their respective series. The primary characters of the Fire Emblem series, the Lords (and even some of the primary villains most likely), out-prioritize the Black Knight just as much so as Kirby out-prioritized Meta Knight.

Zevox

Ginger9001

Smash Ace
2 Games, and he's not even of central importance, and then someone actually had the nerve to say that he was more important than Metaknight :/

-Knight

I see, I see. The only reason I know who he is is because I saw him in a magazine when the first GC Fire Emblem game was coming out, so I bothered to find out his name 'cuz he looked like a cool character. Whereas I've known Metaknight ever since I played my first Kirby game when I was young. :0

Zevox

Smash Lord
It doesn't matter who's more important. The point is nobody else can fill the FE villain role like BK can.
Yet this is precisely the point - irregardless of that, Fire Emblem does not have any need for a "villain role" outside of Subspace Emissary. Just because other series are getting villain characters into the game does not suddenly mean its a requirement that every series have one, regardless of whether they actually have a villain worthy of being playable. It is the most important, best representatives of the series as a whole who deserve to be playable, and in Fire Emblem those are the Lords. The Black Knight may get a role in Subspace Emissary, and he may get a role as an Assist Trophy, but by no means does he deserve to be playable.

Zevox

Smash Ace
this isn't a wolf costume, that screenshot sure makes it look that way though.

its just a darker fox color
Wolf should at least get runner-up status.

EDIT: That brain age guy is an abomination. Make that prediction die now.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
But seriously think about it, with a franchise like FE not all Lords should get in before another character... and what makes Micaiah more worthy than the other lords?
I'm sure someon'es already brought it up, but I'll go for it anyway:

1) Star of the most recent game.
2) Advertisement for Radiant Dawn.
3) Non-sword based combat.
4) Female (small point, but still valid.)
5) Popular in Japan, and expected to be popular in NA.

She's got more going for her than at least 90% of the other Lords.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Hell yeah Micaiah should be in... A nice healthy dose of no swords for Fire Emblem. Is anyone still truly believing Black Knight after we have seen Ike as a slow strong and heavier character? I mean, wouldnt that have been the DEFINITION of BK?

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
I've had enough FE advertisements from Melee, and just because she doesn't use swords, that doesn't make her any more deserving.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Perhaps not, but it adds VARIETY. And that does have great value in Sakurai's eyes. Females, villains, crazy mechanics, crazy characters, Sakurai can be quite the sucker for these...

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
plus what makes any of the other lords more deserving then micaiah
Marth and Sigurd are seen to be more deserving than her (however Ike's alt costume looks almost exactly like Sigurd so he may be out). I'm really rooting for her and I hope she get's in though, she has quite the road ahead of her. If she doesn't get in I'll be a bit sad for a while.

I've said this time and time again, but I'll say it again. The ideal FE roster for me would be Marth, Ike, and Micaiah, lol if FE got 4 spots I have no idea who that spot would go to.

-Knight

Pieman0920

Smash Master
The thing is that Marth and Sigurd shouldn't be the only representatives along with Ike, due to their similarities. Three characters who are that close (and share simmilar combat styles) and being the only representatives for that franchise is just dumb. =/

raphtmarqui

Smash Lord
Marth and Sigurd are seen to be more deserving than her (however Ike's alt costume looks almost exactly like Sigurd so he may be out). I'm really rooting for her and I hope she get's in though, she has quite the road ahead of her. If she doesn't get in I'll be a bit sad for a while.

I've said this time and time again, but I'll say it again. The ideal FE roster for me would be Marth, Ike, and Micaiah, lol if FE got 4 spots I have no idea who that spot would go to.
I'd want Sigurd as the 4th rep. To hell with that "Sigurd" palette swap Ike has. It doesn't even look like Sigurd.
The thing is that Marth and Sigurd shouldn't be the only representatives along with Ike, due to their similarities. Three characters who are that close (and share simmilar combat styles) and being the only representatives for that franchise is just dumb.
Sigurd would use his spear to be different.

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
Who. The hell. Cares?

Marth is a fencer and uses a magic sword and shield - if they fix that about him in Brawl, he's good to go.

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
I'm thinking that we're just going to have Marth and Ike representing the Fire Emblem franchise in Brawl. I know Fire Emblem is popular enough to warrant more characters, but due to the nature of the series character choices just really start breaking down after Ike and Marth.

Sigurd seems like he just doesn't bring enough to the table to be anything more than a costume (unless he gets to ride in Brawl on his horse, of course), and either Micaiah or Roy would be cool due to light magic and fire, respectively, although both of them are slim chances for their own reasons. And Black Knight, well... his only real merit is that he managed to get enough of a fanbase to even be requested, which is impressive for a relatively minor character like him, but not enough to warrant a place in the Brawl roster.

raphtmarqui

Smash Lord
But Sigurd doesn't use a spear as his main weapon though. He's a sword user. One B attack doesn't set him apart at all. o_o
Does Zelda use any of that magic from Melee in OOT? Are any of Ness's attacks really his? No.
They could make Sigurd use a spear fro half his moveset if the wanted to.
>_>

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Ness uses attacks that are his own, and while Zelda doesn't use attacks she has, she didn't have attacks to begin with. Sigurd though has a established form of fighting, which is his sword. His ultimate weapon is a sword, and all his media apperances have him using a sword. If you want a spear user, just bet on Ephraim (Or Krystal really). >_>

raphtmarqui

Smash Lord
Ness uses attacks that are his own, and while Zelda doesn't use attacks she has, she didn't have attacks to begin with. Sigurd though has a established form of fighting, which is his sword. His ultimate weapon is a sword, and all his media apperances have him using a sword. If you want a spear user, just bet on Ephraim (Or Krystal really). >_>
All of those PK attacks Ness uses are Paula's. Good job not knowing what your talking about.
>_>

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
I'm thinking that we're just going to have Marth and Ike representing the Fire Emblem franchise in Brawl. I know Fire Emblem is popular enough to warrant more characters, but due to the nature of the series character choices just really start breaking down after Ike and Marth.

Sigurd seems like he just doesn't bring enough to the table to be anything more than a costume (unless he gets to ride in Brawl on his horse, of course), and either Micaiah or Roy would be cool due to light magic and fire, respectively, although both of them are slim chances for their own reasons. And Black Knight, well... his only real merit is that he managed to get enough of a fanbase to even be requested, which is impressive for a relatively minor character like him, but not enough to warrant a place in the Brawl roster.
I'm pretty sure Fire Emblem will get at least 3 character slots. After the introduction of Fire Emblem outside of Japan it's overall popularity has sky rocketed. I think the reason why the character choices seem to be "breaking" down are because of the fanbases of the other characters that start arguements against one another.

Perhaps Sakurai will reveal another Fire Emblem on the Dojo soon (11/5 >_> Kidding) after all he did reveal all 3 of the Kirby reps which I highly highly highly doubt they're all going to be on the starting roster; it just wouldn't make sense to have them all as starters.

-Knight

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure Fire Emblem will get at least 3 character slots. After the introduction of Fire Emblem outside of Japan it's overall popularity has sky rocketed. I think the reason why the character choices seem to be "breaking" down are because of the fanbases of the other characters that start arguements against one another.

-Knight
But that's just it. After Ike and Marth, the Fire Emblem fanbase loses its unity, and splits of into a bunch of character subgroups. So no character really rises above the rest, and thus there isn't really any good character choice. In this situation, I think Sakurai would move on and select major characters from other franchises, rather than fiddle around with a confusing mess of minor Fire Emblem characters.

In fact, no character in SSBM completely mimics their moveset from their respective games. All characters have some made up filler moves.
Every single move Mr. Game and Watch has is from a game and watch game. And some characters do have made up moves, yes, but for the most part these moves fit the character. Sigurd switching weapons and using a spear wouldn't fit his character, as I've come to understand it, and thus is something Sakurai wouldn't be very likely to do. Especially since there's already Ephraim, a spear-using lord, just waiting to get in Brawl. If Sigurd gets in, he shouldn't have to steal his moveset from another Fire Emblem character.

raphtmarqui

Smash Lord
Every single move Mr. Game and Watch has is from a game and watch game.
The fact that you could only point out 1 character out of a roster of 26 characters only proves my point.
Sigurd switching weapons and using a spear wouldn't fit his character,as I've come to understand it
Well you've come to understand it wrong. Yes it does fit his character because he does that in his game.
and you should also know that Sigurd would have to use the sword.
I didn't say he shouldn't use his sword, I just said he could his a lot of his spear too.=/

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Well most moves are done within the abilities of the character, and improvised moves are just normal attacks with whatever weapon they are currently using. The thing is, is that he doesn't use them at the same time. He has to use one alone, and then the other, and that's for separate turns. The real reason you know he'd only use his sword though is actually because Ike doesn't use axes. Ike and axes is the same thing as Sigurd and lances. They are sub weapons they can hypothetically use, but since it's not their main weapon, you know it will be limited at best. The thing is Ike doesn't use his axe at all, because he's a sword user first and foremost, just like Sigurd.

raphtmarqui

Smash Lord
This is just a video game. Theres no rules as to what they can and cant do. The can combine whatever weapon with whatever character whenever they want to. Mario never has a Cape and Fire ball power up at the same time, but that didn't stop them from giving both of that to him at the same time.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
I just had a wacky thought...

What would happen if Sakurai decided to not include one of the "popular" picks for a third-party slot and went with something completely out of left field...like "Hero" from Drawn-to-Life?

Think about it:
Represents the DS (perhaps the DS logo?)
A complex enough character to have a CAC mode, but simple enough to keep everything in balance.
Increase game sales for Drawn-to-Life.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
The thing is that the fire ball and the cape are not his standard weapons. His fists are. For his standard attacks he uses those. Sigurd's not going to switch between other weapons in his standard attacks, unless he has no standard weapon, like Ness. The thing though it doesn't make sense to not give him the standard weapon of a sword, since that's his friggen standard weapon. A spear would be a special attack at best because of this, and it's not enough to separate him. That and he's not worth a over hall. (Heck why are we even considering him in the first place? Celice is the main character of FE4)

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
I recall headbutting and kicking in Mario's standard moveset.
Mario's been known to kick too. Most of his moves in Melee, even the standard ones, can be traced back to some Mario game or another. Most of Mario's standard combos and kicks in Melee are from Mario 64.

I agree with you that any character can have any move in Smash Bros. And if the Brawl team did add Sigurd, they'd probably give him a spear for lack of anything better to separate him visually and stylistically from Marth and Ike.
However, for the spear to truly separate Sigurd from the rest, it would have to be prominently used. Seeing as how Sigurd is known as a swordsman who carries a sword, wields a sword, and is always pictured with a sword, I'm not sure if it would be properly in-character for Sigurd to wield a spear to the extent that he would need to to differentiate himself.

Top Bottom