• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prejudices aside, if a few characters need to be cut who will they be?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't even get why people want Wolf to be cut. He's a major character, and is Fox McCloud's primary rival.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I don't even get why people want Wolf to be cut. He's a major character, and is Fox McCloud's primary rival.
I would say Andross has had a much great affect on the Lylat System's lore as well as Fox's personal history. Wolf is Fox's inherent rival.

I feel kind off iffy of cutting from Melee in terms of Falco, Sheik, and Ice Climbers. I don't rank Falco and Wolf as borrowing from Fox's special and standard moves in the same way. Just declonify them enough and they're good. Same can be said for Lucas. There's talk stirring about Zelda and Sheik's transformability even being present in this game. Whether she's cut or her own slot remains to be seen. Ice Climbers are the sole representatives of their own franchise. Sheik and Ice Climbers also have their own movesets that no clone has interpreted.

Not sure about who's the most likely Pokemon candidate. Let me ask the thread this; if Mewtwo got confirmed without Roy or any other Melee vet, how would you feel?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Now here's an interesting question.

If we could have no cuts and still get new characters, would you still want cuts?

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
Now here's an interesting question.

If we could have no cuts and still get new characters, would you still want cuts?

Absolutely not.
I don't want any characters cut.
I know that feel going from Melee to Brawl.
Just stacked up against the current unconfirmed roster, it sucks to put those few characters in a lower priority category.

I don't want Snake, Ike or Lucario cut.
They are just the ones I think are the lowest priority compared to the rest of the roster.

I know a lot of people disagree, and want certain characters out because of certain prejudices.
But I loved the entire roster.
I play on random every time I play Brawl and am happy with whoever I get.
It would be very sad to see any of those characters go, even if we get some fantastic newcomers, nothing can fill the void of those characters.

I still weep for the Melee cuts.

Keto

Smash Journeyman
In order from safest to riskiest:

:yoshi2:
:dedede:
:diddy:
:falcon:
:ganondorf:
:popo:
:wario:
:metaknight:
:falco:
:gw:
:ness2:
:zerosuitsamus:
:pt:
:ike:
:wolf:
:lucas:
:jigglypuff:
:rob:
:sheik:
:lucario:
:snake:

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I have a theory that Sakurai cuts characters from each installment to 'trim the fat' for other characters, considering the roster gets bigger every game. That means less space and more balancing time.

Mewtwo and Roy were likely cut by transience. I think it's safe to say that they adhere to a 'flavor of the month'. Not saying characters like Chrom or Zoroark are lesser characters because of that. For the other three, they were straight up clones.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I want ice climbers gone I just hate using them..
Snake should go but i don't get the wolf hate he should stay and has a personality unlike a lot if the characters.. His move set like said is a semi clone his smashes are completely different it's just the specials.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
In order from safest to riskiest:

:yoshi2:
:dedede:
:diddy:
:falcon:
:olimar:
:ganondorf:
:popo:
:wario:
:metaknight:
:falco:
:gw:
:ness2:
:zerosuitsamus:
:pt:
:ike:
:wolf:
:lucas:
:jigglypuff:
:rob:
:sheik:
:lucario:
:snake:
Jigglypuff should AT LEAST be right under Falcon.

i don't get the wolf hate he should stay and has a personality unlike a lot if the characters.. His move set like said is a semi clone his smashes are completely different it's just the specials.
Yeah, I honestly like Wolf's cunning, chain combo-y playstyle more than Falco's.

Keto

Smash Journeyman
Good catch, I don't care much for Olimar apparently.

ZelDan

Smash Master
:lucario::snake::ike::rob::pt::lucas:

These are the 6 I think are likely to get cut. I'd actually be fine with these 6 being cut, or in Ike's case, I'd be fine if he were cut as long as he were replaced with a rep from Awakening. I have yet to play Mother 3, so I can't really say I would be super upset to see Lucas gone, although if I played the game I would likely feel differently about Lucas being cut, since I hear so many great things about Mother 3.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
IMO Starfox never deserved to have 3 reps. Should have either stayed at Fox/Falco or Wolf should have gotten in over Falco in Melee. But if there has to be a 3rd rep I'd rather have Krystal since I like her as a character and think she'd offer a lot to the Smash series in terms of her moveset potential.

On a random note I get slightly annoyed whenever I'm assumed to be a furry because of this (not all Krystal fans are furries FYI). I don't lose sleep over it though. :p

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
So why does everyone think Ike's gonna get cut? FE actually should get 3 reps (considering it's like FF where you get new main characters almost every game). Even if they had a "replacement mindset" with any FE characters besides Marth, Ike still reps the most recent console game (whereas Chrom's inclusion would represent the most recent handheld, and Marth finishing the circle by starting it all).

Lucario also holds a sort of significance, actually playing a bigger role in X & Y (first to mega evolve, and is a Pokemon gifted to you in a more "special event").

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I believe Fire Emblem's getting a 3rd slot and it will not be filled by a lord. A character like that would be a good middle ground between the feuding lords, as Ike and Chrom are both lords with fairly recent legacies.

inb4 FE flame war. :troll:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
And I think FE's 3rd slot will be a lord. because main character's rule in a Nintendo all star game/and sakurai's at the helm.

I'm surprised this lasted as long as it did btw. But its okay though.

@ Morbi Morbi I C wut ur doin, not gonna fall for it :p

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
I believe Fire Emblem's getting a 3rd slot and it will not be filled by a lord. A character like that would be a good middle ground between the feuding lords, as Ike and Chrom are both lords with fairly recent legacies.

inb4 FE flame war. :troll:
I know just the guy....
Donnel!

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I actually have a concept moveset for Old Hubba that involves him using spells with a magic staff and all his attacks involve him summoning different FE characters to attack using Einjehar cards (Specials, tilts, smashes, etc.) But a character that just deconfims many others sounds like a very bad bargain to me. Not to mention Hubba is a nobody.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
A lot of you seem to think this is about who you do and don't like. It isn't it's about what you think will realistically happen and why.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
You should be looking at gameplay and not lore. That being said, I say Falco gets the boot before Wolf.

I have a theory that Sakurai cuts characters from each installment to 'trim the fat' for other characters, considering the roster gets bigger every game. That means less space and more balancing time.

Mewtwo and Roy were likely cut by transience. I think it's safe to say that they adhere to a 'flavor of the month'. Not saying characters like Chrom or Zoroark are lesser characters because of that. For the other three, they were straight up clones.
I doubt they adhere to a flavor of the month. At the very least, Mewtwo most definitely does not.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The conversation was kinda peaceful until we started talking Fire Emblem.

Figures...

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Nuh Uh, it's gonna be his waifu Erika :awesome:.

Old Hubba knows about things >.> <.<
Don't tell that Ikexsama guy or whatever...
Eirka isn't my waifu. say that again and i'll post this there. :p

People hate fire emblem talk 2 much, its the only interesting thing to talk about. Everything else is basically figured out.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
You should be looking at gameplay and not lore. That being said, I say Falco gets the boot before Wolf.

I doubt they adhere to a flavor of the month. At the very least, Mewtwo most definitely does not.
mewtwo is pretty big being the figurehead of mega evolution

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Damn, I'm a hypocrite. I even don't like using the term 'flavor of the month'. It makes the characters under the label feel very marginalized like some Saturday morning cartoon monster. Even Mewtwo was hinted in an article to be under consideration. >,<

Commander

Smash Ace
I think Pokemon Trainer will be cut because his mechanic just didn't turn out right. The idea was for Pokemon Trainer to be a more extreme version of Zelda/Shiek and Samus/ZSS where instead of a match up suddenly switching at one player's will, it instead is switching all the time and forces both players to play a very dynamic game. Unfortunately I don't think many people played PT with that type of intention and instead would just stick to the pokemon they like till they are KO'd and skip over whichever pokemon they didn't like. PT was a really interesting and cool idea, but I don't think most players could truly appreciate it or use it well. Also Gen 1 shouldn't have so much representation unless Jiggs is cut and I don't think Jiggs will be cut.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Eirka isn't my waifu. say that again and i'll post this there. :p

People hate fire emblem talk 2 much, its the only interesting thing to talk about. Everything else is basically figured out.
You should, in fact we should slide a pic under his door.....or send him an email from an anonymous account saying "I know"......then attach the pic :grin:.

Fire Emblem is super interesting to me. For one, there's a bunch of different games with various characters/settings/etc. (so everyone has favorites like FF), and tbh not too many people play them (at least in my area.......I'm so alone). There's just so much stuff going on in each game, so there's loads to talk about.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I think there's a general consensus here. With a wild Jigglypuff and a stray shiek every once in a while everyone seems to be thinking the same thing. It's not like people think meta knight or diddy aren't coming back.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Lucas, Ike, Wolf and Snake are the only ones I see as being on the edge. If people really want a Pokémon in there too, then it's Lucario, I doubt a Pokécut though.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
It's unrealistic to think we will never have cuts in a fighting game series roster ever. The roster size can't just grow exponentially every time. Case in point: look at Mortal Kombat 3 cut classic Sub Zero and Scorpion!

Every iteration should trim the fat and refine that which preceded it.

N64's roster was the bare bones low budget minimum.
Melee's was a decent expansion but full of needless clones.
Brawl's was a huge refinement over Melee's (minus the sad casualty of Mewtwo).
SSB4's will refine Brawl's (and we should fully expect more sad casualties).

If you say you wouldn't cut any old characters even if it meant we couldn't have any new ones that's just crazy. You could always just go back and play Brawl. Maybe, every installment SHOULD have some exclusive characters. Makes it feel more unique. Honestly, I was in favor of having version specific characters per the Wii U version and 3DS version, for instance Wii U gets Ness, Ike and Shulk, while the 3DS gets Lucas, Chrom and Isaac. Would that have been so wrong?

acekidgravity

Smash Cadet
I've made peace with myself about the fact that 4/6 of my mains have a good chance of being cut (PT, Lucario, Wolf, and Ike). In addition to those four I could also see Lucas and Snake. That's about all I can see being cut as ROB is too unique and Toon Link was already confirmed.

J1NG

Smash Journeyman
Definitely Snake. I've brought it up a few times, but I can see him being replaced by Andy/a representative from Advance Wars. From there, I'd say Lucario. On top of all previous mentioned speculation for his removal, I have a feeling that the idea of a character (like Mewtwo) returning to Smash after originally being cut is one that could stand out in Sakurai's mind.

Definitely Snake. I've brought it up a few times, but I can see him being replaced by Andy/a representative from Advance Wars. From there, I'd say Lucario. On top of all previous mentioned speculation for his removal, I have a feeling that the idea of a character (like Mewtwo) returning to Smash after originally being cut is one that could stand out in Sakurai's mind.
I love Snake, but if an Advanced Wars character got in I would flip out. Jake would be dope; box some n****s up!!

Top Bottom