• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prejudices aside, if a few characters need to be cut who will they be?

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
>people still thinking Lucas will be cut even though Sakurai added a ton of Mother 3 content into Brawl and he's still the most recent protagonist of the series
>0/10 stay pleb

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Actually, now that I think about it...
Wold was different in the way he moved, he was a less of a clone than Falco was.
On second thought, Falco should be removed.
now we're talking

though honestly, they should just add in a certain Star Fox character and not do any removals just to complete it once and for all but knowing Smash's luck, a new important Star Fox character would come in, just like what happened with Kirby

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure Lucas will be cut. He's not the face of the Earthbound series as Ness is, and he wa mostly in Brawl because of Mother 3.

jwj442

Smash Journeyman
A lot of people want Snake to go, but he really did have a pretty unique moveset and playing style. Yes, he was overpowered, but he just needs to have weaker physical moves and lighter weight to balance his extensive toolkit of explosives.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
A lot of people want Snake to go, but he really did have a pretty unique moveset and playing style. Yes, he was overpowered, but he just needs to have weaker physical moves and lighter weight to balance his extensive toolkit of explosives.
I don't think it's a matter of his play style, more like his 3rd Party factor.

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah, Snake is gone - I'm sure of it. The only reason he was in Brawl was because Kojima begged Sakurai to do it, and as I understand Nintendo didn't like his inclusion very much because he's associated with Sony. There has been no MGS game for a Nintendo system since Brawl, and I seriously doubt he'll return. Mega Man was a much better choice - he feels a lot more Nintendo than Snake ever did.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Oh yeah, Snake is gone - I'm sure of it. The only reason he was in Brawl was because Kojima begged Sakurai to do it, and as I understand Nintendo didn't like his inclusion very much because he's associated with Sony. There has been no MGS game for a Nintendo system since Brawl, and I seriously doubt he'll return. Mega Man was a much better choice - he feels a lot more Nintendo than Snake ever did.
Feels more Nintendo is super important in my opinion. Snake looked out of place next to everyone. Mega Man and Sonic fit perfectly and i'm sure Pacman (when he's inevitably confirmed) will fit in as well.

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
Feels more Nintendo is super important in my opinion. Snake looked out of place next to everyone. Mega Man and Sonic fit perfectly and i'm sure Pacman (when he's inevitably confirmed) will fit in as well.
I agree.

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai DID NOT include Pac-Man just to troll the heck out of everyone! You know how he is...

Xigger

Smash Lord
It seems the current trend is to include characters that "add to the game", unlike adding characters in order of "who deserves it", which Melee and Brawl focused on.

Which coincides with almost every Melee cut being a clone. Basically, if the character isn't wanted by a majority, it's facing danger.

Every Melee clone (minus Luigi,Falco,Ganondorf, which are series staples, plus bad-moveset Mewtwo)
Lucas and Wolf seem to be the most unpopular, followed by lukewarm Ike and Falco. The next general consensus is R.O.B., Snake for third party, Jigglypuff for irrelevant or seemingly almost cut in Brawl. I don't know the order of popularity for characters, but it seems Wario and Meta Knight seem to be among the least popular. Then again, so were Charizard and Zero Suit Samus.

thisguyisnotcool

Smash Cadet
Ehhh...Wouldn't Lucas and Wolf most likely come back because they save time working on their movesets?

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Metal Gear Solid 3 was remade for the 3DS; people have a tendency to forget that one.

WonderSmash

Smash Apprentice
Maybe Ike if there is a new FE rep like Chrom

Possibly Lucas unless he is decloned

Snake because his rights are owned by Konami and maybe Nintendo didn't attempt to write up another contract

Jigglypuff because of bias.

Pokemon Trainer is already gone so ya.

Wolf? Maybe. Too many Star Fox characters all cut from the same cloth. But I would be happy if the 3 remained.

That's all I can really come up with. If Wario, Metaknight, R.O.B. etc got cut I'd be very surprised.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
I liked snake, hope he stays, will likely be cut though. Lucas was a waste of a slot in my opinion, roster fluff which isnt going to be necessary with this game since it's going to tighter and more focused. ROB is a gonner, he was ok, unique (if uninspired) but I won't be shedding tears if he's gone.

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
I liked snake, hope he stays, will likely be cut though. Lucas was a waste of a slot in my opinion, roster fluff which isnt going to be necessary with this game since it's going to tighter and more focused. ROB is a gonner, he was ok, unique (if uninspired) but I won't be shedding tears if he's gone.
You sure ROB is gone? I think he'll return, he's one of those characters who has appeared outside of Smash as well in recent games (like Mario Kart).

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
Lucas could easily be made unique, and Mother 3 was insanely popular in Japan. Little Mac shows that they're willing to include characters that are popular overseas but not in Japan, I see no reason why the opposite can't be true.

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
Lucas could easily be made unique, and Mother 3 was insanely popular in Japan. Little Mac shows that they're willing to include characters that are popular overseas but not in Japan, I see no reason why the opposite can't be true.
Was Mother 3 really that popular? I mean, outside the fan core?

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
I love Wolf and hope he does not get cut, but if he were cut I kind of hope that he is an alternate costume for Fox. That way, with the Custom moveset things and him as an Alternate costume, he could be spiritually in the game, even if he'd be a light weight character instead of a heavy one.

Eight Melodies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DestroyerGiygas
In Japan, extremely. He wasn't just roster fluff in Brawl.
The West actually likes Mother 3 a lot more than Japan does for the most part. Not that that really matters since everyone hates Other M and it's the only Metroid game getting representation in this game.

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
The West actually likes Mother 3 a lot more than Japan does for the most part. Not that that really matters since everyone hates Other M and it's the only Metroid game getting representation in this game.
It's more of a cult following in the US. Mother 3 was pretty successful in the Japanese mainstream. Good point with Other M though, even Japan hated it.

Redmagpie93

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redmagpie93
So right yea now that the rumour/leak thread has been murdered it seems cut (or lack thereof) discussions are here... so here goes my analysis of all those not yet confirmed:

NOT CUT Original 12, likely hidden fighters again:
:falcon:: FALCON PUNCH, Samurai Goroh AT shown, Sakurai has discussed balancing him,:jigglypuff:: making it into Brawl was more unlikely and she was in then too, popular from the anime, connected to the new Fairy type:ness2:: Earthbound Western VC release this gen, Mother items already seen in screenshots

Melee previouly Cut:
:drmario:: NOT CUT I am of the belief he will return as alt costume for Mario similar to Male Fit Trainer and WireFrame Mac, so IMO not cut this time round
:mewtwomelee:: NOT CUT Sakurai has discussed bringing him back, popular and promoted for his franchise, Megas already pushed for Smash, increases the roster of villains for Smash, apparently he was supposed to be in Brawl too
:pichumelee:: CUT ahahaaha :younglinkmelee:: CUT likely still gone due to 3 Links being overkill.... would love him to appear with Masks but Sakurai killing transformations has shot down that :( :roymelee:: CUT while I'd love him de-cloned and brought back along with the FE roster bounding up to 4 slots.... reality is adding a 3rd to Brawl's is the best to hope for at this point, and with Roy having a major role in only one game compared to Ike's 2 he's got a much lesser chance to not be cut again

The rest from Melee NOT CUT:falco::popular:ganondorf::likely to be reworked, 3rd part of Triforce:popo::multi-character CPU issues have been apparently solved since Sakurai mentioned issue... also Polar bear in Smash Run:gw:: unique, historical

:lucas:: PROBABLY NOT CUT Mother 3 huge in Japan, most recent series protagonist, test for bringing Mother & 3 to West? Earthbound Western VC release was popular, the Ness/Lucas moveset is pretty unique to warrant 2 similar fighters, HOWEVER likely would be low priority on the development schedule:metaknight:: NOT CUT Sakurai creation, Halberd stage is back, hugely popular in Brawl, unique aerial moveset, poster fighter for Brawl newcomers :rob:: NOT CUT unique, huge historical impact, focus of single player in Brawl :wario:: NOT CUT popular, Waluigi&Ashley are Wario series ATs
:wolf:: NOT CUT was supposed to be in Melee, antagonist of series, popular fighting style for Smash, not a clone as some assume, Sakurai likes him

:ike:: POSSIBLY CUT Love the character and his games but if anyone's going it's Ike in favour of a new FE character, if FE is getting 3 fighters Ike will be in over

Roy returning of course:ivysaur::squirtle::pt:: CUT with Charizard solo, transformations gone and Greninja in as another water type... only option would be with a double team fighter with both 'mon on-screen at once.... but there's no reason to expect that at this point especially with all other transformation fighters shown in the Direct
:snake:: CUT despite the relationship Sakurai and Kojima have, his moveset has been butchered into items and Shiek stole his grenades, still possible the Kojima AMA comments were to build hype, false pretences etc but if there's gonna be any cuts it'll be him first through his 3rd party position, however he could still be held in the wings for a big MGS Nintendo deal in the next couple months (or E3)

TLDR:
NOT CUT: :drmario::mewtwomelee::falcon::jigglypuff::ness2::falco::ganondorf::popo::gw::metaknight::rob::wario::wolf:

IF TIME CONSTRAINTS THEN CUT(otherwise NOT CUT): :lucas::ike:

STILL CUT: :pichumelee::roymelee::younglinkmelee:
CUT BECAUSE NO REASON TO STAY: :pt::ivysaur::squirtle:
SNAKE!?!SNAKE??!SNAKE!!!!: :snake:

Ryuuma

Smash Apprentice
Mention Melee Cuts is Worthless, nobody but Mewtwo had Chances to come back, and with Greninja there, mewtwo chances fell.

From Brawl, They Will Cut Squirtle, Ivysaur, Snake, Lucas and Falco or Wolf. Ike Will be Repleaced By Chrom.

Ness, Falcon PUNCH and Jiggly are O12. MG&W and Ice Climbers have story. Wario , MK and Ganny are fan favorites, and They Will mantain Wolf or Falco.
R.O.B have large Chances to Stay due his unique Moveset.

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
Mention Melee Cuts is Worthless, nobody but Mewtwo had Chances to come back, and with Greninja there, mewtwo chances fell.

From Brawl, They Will Cut Squirtle, Ivysaur, Snake, Lucas and Falco or Wolf. Ike Will be Repleaced By Chrom.

Ness, Falcon PUNCH and Jiggly are O12. MG&W and Ice Climbers have story. Wario , MK and Ganny are fan favorites, and They Will mantain Wolf or Falco.
R.O.B have large Chances to Stay due his unique Moveset.
Let me state this again: Mewtwo's chances were never dependent on another Pokemon rep, namely Greninja, getting in.

C3CC

Smash Lord
Jigglypuff really doesn't make sense anymore. Besides, when did Sakurai say that he would never touch the so-called "Original 12"? Yeah, it's bull****. He never said it. Ness was in danger of being replaced in Melee and he WOULD have been replaced had Mother 3 not been delayed.

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
Jigglypuff really doesn't make sense anymore. Besides, when did Sakurai say that he would never touch the so-called "Original 12"? Yeah, it's bull****. He never said it. Ness was in danger of being replaced in Melee and he WOULD have been replaced had Mother 3 not been delayed.
And yet both of them were put in Brawl.

Jigglypuff these days is now a Normal/Fairy type, with the latter type being pushed by GameFreak.

Ness had a release of his game on Wii U's VC recently. Not to mention we have a couple of Mother/Earthbound items in Smash 4 now.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Ok no offense but it's really stupid to think jiggly puff will be cut. I only see snake, ivysaur and squirtle cut. Ike stays if toon link can, he is popular as well and can easily be de cloned. Lucas stays, if he almost replaced ness it shows sakurai quite likes him as well as the fact mother 3 was hugely popular in japan. Also sakurai did say he would never cut the original 12. Wolf stays, he is also popular, a vilian which smash has few of and plays the least like the other star fox reps. Plus they can easily de clone him and others. Also R.O.B won't go anywhere, he was brawls oddball and is a unique charter who is key to Nintendo history.

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
Ok no offense but it's really stupid to think jiggly puff will be cut. I only see snake, ivysaur and squirtle cut. Ike stays if toon link can, he is popular as well and can easily be de cloned. Lucas stays, if he almost replaced ness it shows sakurai quite likes him as well as the fact mother 3 was hugely popular in japan. Also sakurai did say he would never cut the original 12. Wolf stays, he is also popular, a vilian which smash has few of and plays the least like the other star fox reps. Plus they can easily de clone him and others. Also R.O.B won't go anywhere, he was brawls oddball and is a unique charter who is key to Nintendo history.
I can understand why people think Jigglypuff would be cut, him being among the original twelve is the only thing keeping him in. Either Wolf or Falco is going, preferably Falco. 3 reps from a series who's past two entries have been a remake and a so-so game just isn't right. R.O.B. is strange, I can't see people being happy or upset either way. He's just sort of there.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
If all those characters are added into the game, then Sakurai would be contradicting his quote on not drastically increasing the size of smash 4's roster, and I still feel like the ones I said are safe are more likely to make it back than rob, G&W, and the IC. I honestly wouldn't mind hearing why you think they're sure to come back, so feel free to tell me. (For the record I'm all for seeing a much bigger cast this time and would love to see all those characters come back. I just don't feel like they can return given what Sakurai has said about the matter in the past, unfortunately.)

As for mewtwo, I feel like I probably wasn't clear on the point I was trying to make with the pokemon trainer. It's true that with the pokemon trainer's pokemon there are technically 6 pokemon reps, but since they can't be played separately and you can only choose the trainer on the select screen, t think that the pokemon trainer and his pokemon are treated as one whole character, and if that is the case, then there were only 4 pokemon reps in brawl. Like I said in my previous post there is a chance that mewtwo can come back again, but 5 seems to be the current limit per franchise that Sakurai has been willing to put in, and honestly any more than that would probably feel like overkill, especially if the size of the roster is as limited as Sakurai claims it is.
First off game and watch and rob are imp to nintendo history going for them and ice climbers just seem to now be a staple for every smash and have a unique moveset. the quote about roster size was taken wrong and it was also before namco joined in.

Sakurai counted the pokemon trainer as 3 reps since he considers the roster at 39 and not 35.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I feel like Sakurai will only cut characters when he has to, which in this case, we already know that the 3DS can't handle Transformation characters so he had to get rid of Pokemon trainer, I think its safe to say that Squirtle and Ivy are cut because of that. The only other character who could fall under the "has to be cut" is Snake because he's 3rd party and you never know with that. I think everybody else in the roster is safe. If Chrom is in the game, so will Ike, just like how both Ness and Lucas appeared in Brawl which I believe will still remain the same. If Toon Link made it in I can assume Wolf will be safe as well.

The final roster would look like this imo http://sta.sh/022epmy8cyzg (pardon the super quick terrible paint job)
5 Slots for Mario
5 Slots for Zelda
5 Slots for Pokemon
5 Slots for RP Franchises
ect, idk to me it just kind of makes sense, will people like it? No, but its certainly more believable.

Last edited:

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
:jigglypuff:: 100%
Still in the game. Perhaps given a new special move or normal attacks based on her new FAIRY typing! Besides being an original (which does not necessarily mean anything) the new typing makes her more relevant.

:ganondorf::falco:: 99%
Still in the game. HOPEFULLY with new movesets that aren't as Clone-y.

:lucas:: 50%
Might be gone. 50/50. I really don't like half-clone characters like him but that has no real effect on his chances. I do not see them having less than 2 Earthbound Reps but I also don't see them likely having another new rep like Porky.

:pt::squirtle::ivysaur:: 1%, 33%, 33%
Pokemon Trainer is almost certainly dead. Squirtle and Ivysaur I'd say are on life support but still have a chance.

:falcon::popo::wario:: 100%
Are you insane?

:ike:: 25%
Not looking good but still possible.

:gw::rob:: 99%
Pretty darned sure they're back.

:snake:: 25%
I don't think it's looking good. Metal Gear is increasingly NOT on Nintendo consoles and more and more represents Sony a lot more than Nintendo. Nintendo might not want him back and might go as far as bar Sakurai from using him.

:drmario:: 50%
Alternative Costume for Mario.

:mewtwomelee:: 33%
Sakurai mentioned him as a possible return long ago. I think this is the only real chance at a real return for a unique playable character. Made more relevant by his new Mega Evolutions in X and Y!

:pichumelee:: 2%
Hey, maybe as an alternative costume for Pikachu? You never know!

:roymelee:: 1%
Not really relevant.

I don't put 0% because there's always a chance!

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
I feel like Sakurai will only cut characters when he has to, which in this case, we already know that the 3DS can't handle Transformation characters so he had to get rid of Pokemon trainer, I think its safe to say that Squirtle and Ivy are cut because of that. The only other character who could fall under the "has to be cut" is Snake because he's 3rd party and you never know with that. I think everybody else in the roster is safe. If Chrom is in the game, so will Ike, just like how both Ness and Lucas appeared in Brawl which I believe will still remain the same. If Toon Link made it in I can assume Wolf will be safe as well.

The final roster would look like this imo http://sta.sh/022epmy8cyzg (pardon the super quick terrible paint job)
5 Slots for Mario
5 Slots for Zelda
5 Slots for Pokemon
5 Slots for RP Franchises
ect, idk to me it just kind of makes sense, will people like it? No, but its certainly more believable.
Nobody is saying that Sakurai WANTS to cut characters, but he may have no choice because of time constraints. It's mostly a debate of who's lowest on the totem pole. Toon link has Spirit Tracks and Wind Waker HD going for him, Wolf just has a remake. That being said, I'd still prefer him over Falco.

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
Maybe ROB could use some changes but I don't think he should be cut. Robots are important to me :(

Top Bottom