• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prejudices aside, if a few characters need to be cut who will they be?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
No, but I can obverse and make inferences. In the direct, we were shown that the luma has a little bit of independence, even if he is mostly remote control. Nana has about as much AI as Tails does in Sonic 2.
Luma's independence is literally just "slowly bounce back to Rosie". It's essentially rough pathfinding AI.

Nana's AI is basically that of a CPU fighter.

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Iwata-Ask...Snake-and-Sonic/2-Snake-and-Sonic-226172.html

This doesn't exactly indicate that Nintendo did not like his inclusion in Smash. While I can see some of the reasoning as to why people think that Snake will be cut (even if I don't agree with it), the people at Nintendo seem to ultimately have no problem with Snake's inclusion in Smash Bros., so that can't be used as reasoning.
Gah. Why didn't I notice this before? Guess I need to read more. XP

Still, Snake's in quite a bit of a pickle.

Don't get me wrong: I don't want Ness cut. I'll be MAD if Ness gets cut even though I never use him. I was just using him as an example to how I think that the "Original 12 will never go anywhere" thing is not true. I don't really care about Jigglypuff; I'm just worried she could take Mewtwo's spot (or maybe Greninja already did). If the maximum of characters per franchise is 5, there's only one left for Pokémon, and I don't want Jigglypuff to take it. I want Mewtwo.
No one's going to be taking anyone's spot. Where's this assumption coming from?

Last edited:

Ryuuma

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai considers Brawl to have 6 Pokemon in it, Sm4sh currently has only 4, if they maintain Brawl's number and the assumed Ivy&Squirts cut happens then Jiggly and Mewtwo would both drop in without increasing the roster size at all
i'm Pretty Sure i used the term slot.

do you all really think that sakurai goes "I really want to put in mewtwo but I cant because then it have more reps then mario" if he wants it in there in.
Yeah, I Think so. The order should be mantained, or you expect a roster With 6 reps of F-Zero or Star fox?

Last edited:

Redmagpie93

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redmagpie93

Yeah, I Think so. The order should be mantained, or you expect a roster With 6 reps ofF-Zero or Star fox?
My point being that slots aren't the issue, it's character count.... development time doesn't get increased because they put Zelda and Shiek on separate slots, it gets increased (slightly) because they're developing those extra couple of moves.... when it comes down to it Sakurai worries about character count because in Brawl he considered 39 not 35 because they developed 39 characters.... 'mon trainer was roughly 3 times the development of just Mario for example because it required 3 movesets: containing them within one 'slot' on the select screen is pretty much irrelevant to cuts

Ryuuma

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai considers Brawl to have 6 Pokemon in it, Sm4sh currently has only 4, if they maintain Brawl's number and the assumed Ivy&Squirts cut happens then Jiggly and Mewtwo would both drop in without increasing the roster size at all

do you all really think that sakurai goes "I really want to put in mewtwo but I cant because then it have more reps then mario" if he wants it in there in.
Yeah, I Think so. The order should be mantained, or you expect a roster With 6 reps ofF-Zero or Star fox?
My point being that slots aren't the issue, it's character count.... development time doesn't get increased because they put Zelda and Shiek on separate slots, it gets increased (slightly) because they're developing those extra couple of moves.... when it comes down to it Sakurai worries about character count because in Brawl he considered 39 not 35 because they developed 39 characters.... 'mon trainer was roughly 3 times the development of just Mario for example because it required 3 movesets: containing them within one 'slot' on the select screen is pretty much irrelevant to cuts

I Agree with you, but I not talking about development time and dificult here. I'm Talking simply about Roster Size, slots in the selection screen and the importance of each franchise. Pokemon is equally (os less) important than mario, so it wont have more slots than mario. That make de game unballanced in this point of view. If they never cared about this, they already have done a Smash bros with more SLOTS for pokemon than Mario.

Morbi

Scavenger
I have hope for the Ice Climbers because of the Polar Bear.
I honestly feel as though the Ice Climbers would be an ideal cut; sometimes they would create lag in private matches, alone. I don't necessarily believe that the 3DS can handle 4 Ice Climbers on a moving stage (without overt complications, the game will obviously run fine, but it will be obvious that there is a problem).

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
I honestly feel as though the Ice Climbers would be an ideal cut; sometimes they would create lag in private matches, alone. I don't necessarily believe that the 3DS can handle 4 Ice Climbers on a moving stage (without overt complications, the game will obviously run fine, but it will be obvious that there is a problem).
A technical reason such as that is kinda bull. I don't think anyone's going to be cut due to tech or net issues.

This is Namco we're dealing with here. If their excellent netcode in Soul Calibur 5 and Tekken Tag 2 is anything to go by, they'll make the ICs- and everything else- work smoothly online..

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well for a leak

I think ike snake squirtle and ivysaur are going to be kicked characters but lucas could be in there 2

Last edited:

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Lucas, Snake, Squirtle, Maybe Wolf, Maybe Ike although I think he's a little too important and popular and Possibly R.O.B since he isn't popular, like at all

Last edited:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
i honestly see ike getting cut before lucas or wolf mainly because lucas and wolf were supposed to be in melee not falco and ness

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Don't get me wrong: I don't want Ness cut. I'll be MAD if Ness gets cut even though I never use him. I was just using him as an example to how I think that the "Original 12 will never go anywhere" thing is not true. I don't really care about Jigglypuff; I'm just worried she could take Mewtwo's spot (or maybe Greninja already did). If the maximum of characters per franchise is 5, there's only one left for Pokémon, and I don't want Jigglypuff to take it. I want Mewtwo.

I really need proof of this. When and where did he say it? Is there a video or an official interview or anything?
I'll look for the post later but he said something like after almost replacing ness I feel that none of the original 12 should ever be cut.

Ferio_Kun

Smash Journeyman
It's sad but i'm hoping Jigglypuff gets replaced by a more "cool" Pokemon.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
It's sad but i'm hoping Jigglypuff gets replaced by a more "cool" Pokemon.
If we get mewtwo as well, I think another ****ing pokemon like that would oversaturate the pokemon roster with a one-sided view of what pokemon can be like =P

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
If we get mewtwo as well, I think another ****ing pokemon like that would oversaturate the pokemon roster with a one-sided view of what pokemon can be like =P
We already have enough first gen let's add some variety, zoroark, genesect, as long as they aren't from 1st gen I don't care

Thor

Smash Champion
Anyone from Brawl not already revealed besides Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Ness, Falco, and Meta Knight can be cut and I'd be fine with it [the original 3 and my two favorite characters before I knew what tier lists were (I still like them both but I can't say I think MK is cool or I'll be labeled bad names)]. I'd like Snake back too but I never really thought he'd make it back. I admittedly don't care about Game and Watch, Ganondorf, and Ice Climbers (and maybe Wario, although he'd be nice to be back...sort of) as much as I probably should. ROB, Ike, Wolf, and Lucas = whatever [I'm already counting Squirtle and Ivysaur as being cut, but since we got back one of them, getting back two seems far too optimistic, so I don't care about them at this point either]. We don't need more than 6 Pokémon reps (Brawl had 6 by Sakurai's count), that leaves space for Jigglypuff (I think likely given the history) and Mewtwo (I seriously doubt it and in fact predict only 5 reps [so Jigglypuff returns is my guess] but it's possible Mewtwo comes back).

Yeah, I Think so. The order should be mantained, or you expect a roster With 6 reps of F-Zero or Star fox?
Yes actually. Pokémon is more popular than either series, and while I know little about Starfox and F-Zero, I think F-Zero characters aren't exactly easy to cook up movesets for [racing game, right?], but Pokémon have the anime to draw from (LOTS of attacks, vs some fight scenes in F-Zero), and they have like over 600 possible reps (I don't know the full number, although this is obviously somewhat bloated because legenaries and things like Zigzagoon wouldn't be added). Granted, there are Pokeballs, but Pokémon reps also generate a lot of hype for Pokémon players who otherwise would never try Smash (An example is this Lucario lover I know at school - basically he tried Brawl because Lucario and now he wants Smash 4 because Smash is fun, but mainly because Lucario).

Last edited:
I agree with that. Pokémon come in so many shapes and sizes, and have so many diverse abilities, it would suggest a dearth of creativity if Lucario, Greninja and Mewtwo were all out there, playable, representing Team Pokémon.

If only one more veteran Pokémon can return, I'd prefer Jigglypuff. Besides, no one else maneuvers quite like her, and cutting her would leave a conspicuous hole in gameplay options. Yeah, I know, WhyNotBoth.avi I also wish we would get an Ice-type Pokémon since ice abilities in Smash are few and far between, but I can't think of any good candidates. Ignore this ;]

Last edited:

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
I agree with that. Pokémon come in so many shapes and sizes, and have so many diverse abilities, it would suggest a dearth of creativity if Lucario, Greninja and Mewtwo were all out there, playable, representing Team Pokémon.

If only one more veteran Pokémon can return, I'd prefer Jigglypuff. Besides, no one else maneuvers quite like her, and cutting her would leave a conspicuous hole in gameplay options. Yeah, I know, WhyNotBoth.avi I also wish we would get an Ice-type Pokémon since ice abilities in Smash are few and far between, but I can't think of any good candidates. Ignore this ;]
I was referring to representation beyond Mewtwo, as in any more pokemon like say, zoroark also getting in instead of Jigglypuff would be overkill. Actually, I'm betting on AND hoping for a pokemon roster of Pikachu, Lucario, Charizard, Greninja, Da Puff, and Mewtwo. Good thing I don't think that's an unpopular opinion (though I still don't see how greninja hurts mewtwo's chances, I really don't. I guess Mewtwo stops being a NECESSARY representation for generation 6 but he's still more than worthwhile.)

Also, considering the fact that lapras is probably the most well known and popular ice type, I wouldn't snover-estimate their chances =P

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure Falco and Wolf will be gone because of the custom move sets. I can see fox reflector or his gun laser being customized like Falco's or Wolf's.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure Falco and Wolf will be gone because of the custom move sets. I can see fox reflector or his gun laser being customized like Falco's or Wolf's.
I doubt they'd cut both if any, I think wolf has a high chance of coming back cause he's a villain and was apparentl supposed to be in melee

Prince Longstrok

Taker of lives, defiler of daughters.
As evident by my avatar, im primarily a Sony fan, but i still love me some nintendo franchises like Pokemon and Metroid.
One of the nintendo series i do NOT care for is Star Fox, but even i feel Wolf should come before Falco.

Fox- protagonist
Falco- secondary protagonist/sidekick
Wolf- antagonist.

To me, the protagonist always has top priority, followed by antagonist, followed by secondary protagonists, followed by secondary antagonist, and soo kn and so forth.

This of course is just my opinion, but i d like to think others share my view. :/

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
but
I doubt they'd cut both if any, I think wolf has a high chance of coming back cause he's a villain and was apparentl supposed to be in melee
ye but most series in super smash bros brawl doesn't have antagonist in them anyway.

Ryuuma

Smash Apprentice
This makes sense, but they didn't cut Toon Link, and he should be ripped of by the same reason.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
This makes sense, but they didn't cut Toon Link, and he should be ripped of by the same reason.
I thought sakurai added him because:
- The new Wind Waker HD.

- The fox game series doesn't show up much in Nintendo only once on the handheld and that's about it. I'm talking about the most recent game.

He even added sonic because of Sonic lost world being exclusive to wii u.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
So uh, cuts:
Pokemon Trainer (Squirtle & Ivysaur)
Ike
Lucas
Snake
and R.O.B if they need to cut anyone else.

Ryuuma

Smash Apprentice
So uh, cuts:
Pokemon Trainer (Squirtle & Ivysaur)
Ike
Lucas
Snake
and R.O.B if they need to cut anyone else.
I See R.O.B and Snake like the only no clone character with chances of beind cut too.
But You think they will keep both falco and Wolf? (is the only thing I would change in your list)

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I See R.O.B and Snake like the only no clone character with chances of beind cut too.
But You think they will keep both falco and Wolf? (is the only thing I would change in your list)
Thank you! I do respect the Falco and Wolf issue, and was toiling over it around a year ago, but now I see that with Pokemon Trainer for sure gone, they really have time to put Falco and Wolf AND R.O.B. in I think. They had 5 cuts from Melee, and I think they'll have 5 here [the above(I count Squirtle + Ivysaur as 2) minus R.O.B.] They have Namco helping them and I don't think StarFox's lack of activity impacts it so much after seeing characters like Cpt. Falcon, Ness, Jigglypuff, and Mr. Game & Watch stick around after not really doing anything for a while.
So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I would consider one of them cut, if I think we'd get more than 6 cuts! I just see others having higher chances to be cut and them not needing 7 or more cuts. That's just my logic but I dunno, I aint making the game *shrug* XD I really think both Falco and Wolf are safe with tweaked moves and everything. Now a StarFox newcomer... I wouldn't expect that at all.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Thank you! I do respect the Falco and Wolf issue, and was toiling over it around a year ago, but now I see that with Pokemon Trainer for sure gone, they really have time to put Falco and Wolf AND R.O.B. in I think. They had 5 cuts from Melee, and I think they'll have 5 here [the above(I count Squirtle + Ivysaur as 2) minus R.O.B.] They have Namco helping them and I don't think StarFox's lack of activity impacts it so much after seeing characters like Cpt. Falcon, Ness, Jigglypuff, and Mr. Game & Watch stick around after not really doing anything for a while.
So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I would consider one of them cut, if I think we'd get more than 6 cuts! I just see others having higher chances to be cut and them not needing 7 or more cuts. That's just my logic but I dunno, I aint making the game *shrug* XD I really think both Falco and Wolf are safe with tweaked moves and everything. Now a StarFox newcomer... I wouldn't expect that at all.
There's only 4 returning 90% sure because melee and brawl had 21 returning char (excluding third party characters) ssb4 will have 21 returning char. There's 17 so 4 would be
1. C. Falcon - samurai Goroh being shown @ direct.
2. Ice climbers - polar bear being shown @Direct
3. Wario - Waluigi and they add another assist trophy to this series which is Ashley.
4. Ness - we've already seen earthbound items in one of the pic of the days.

Grinch21X

Smash Apprentice
Jigglyjams is out imo. Already a big Pokemon cast atm, and having the Jiggler in just isnt really necessary. R.O.B. I dont see coming back but Im not sure.

Last edited:

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
There's only 4 returning 90% sure because melee and brawl had 21 returning char (excluding third party characters) ssb4 will have 21 returning char. There's 17 so 4 would be
1. C. Falcon - samurai Goroh being shown @ direct.
2. Ice climbers - polar bear being shown @Direct
3. Wario - Waluigi and they add another assist trophy to this series which is Ashley.
4. Ness - we've already seen earthbound items in one of the pic of the days.
I think there will be more also the halberd is a stage so meta knight will be in

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
However every stage in the game doesn't mean the char is in like animal crossing stage in brawl
Well animal crossing in brawl was just representing the series, but that's meta knight's, it's his personal stage, that's like having a luigi's mansion stage and not luigi

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Well animal crossing in brawl was just representing the series, but that's meta knight's, it's his personal stage, that's like having a luigi's mansion stage and not luigi
Luigi has his own games and these stages are mainly based from games. Halbred is from Kirby superstar ultra and it was decent stage to bring back from the older series of Ssb.

Example: Sakurai states pyro sphere stage from metroid other m game @ direct.

Last edited:

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Luigi has his own games and these stages are mainly based from games. Halbred is from Kirby superstar ultra and it was decent stage to bring back from the older series of Ssb.
But I'm saying it's his stage, it's something that directly links to him so it'd be weird to not have him

Top Bottom